Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• A quick butchers around the internet shows that the Ivorians themselves requested that every country refer to them as Cote D'ivoire in 1985. Took a while to catch on though... And a bit precious if you ask me. :wink:
  • brogib said:

News channels filming and showing kids grieving for their pals they lost in a plane crash disaster.

We know what desperately sad people look like ffs!

I've been through that a few years ago.
    At a time when you and your family dont want to speak to anyone, news crews turn up banging on doors. The whole lot newspapers, radio and tv.
    Even at the funeral.
    Dont know how they do thier jobs.
  • It seems that the media love grief and a few tears.
  • IAIA
    edited March 2015

A quick butchers around the internet shows that the Ivorians themselves requested that every country refer to them as Cote D'ivoire in 1985. Took a while to catch on though... And a bit precious if you ask me. :wink:

As far as I understand, Cote d'Ivoire, Cabo Verde and Timor-Leste three of only four* countries who have stated what their countries should be called in all languages. So it seems correct to do that, similar to how Cote d'Ivoire's neighbours aren't called Upper Volta any more.

I think it's interesting how the above countries have had to request to be known by the same name as they know themselves, whereas the Spanish names are used as standard for, say, Costa Rica and El Salvador

* The other one I know about is Ireland, but everyone seems to ignore that.
  • Many years ago I was introduced to a bloke called Jesus at a party. He was introduced as Hey Zeus and we called him Jesus all night. He wasn't bothered at all. I still remember helping him get his motorbike going in the wee small hours.

Anyway this thread is about things that annoy you and commentators annoy me. However it should be pronounced, the first name does not need to be said at all and never is for domestic players.
  • A quick butchers around the internet shows that the Ivorians themselves requested that every country refer to them as Cote D'ivoire in 1985. Took a while to catch on though... And a bit precious if you ask me. :wink:

I totally agree Portugese Perry.

• When someone tries to sit next to you on a not very crowded train

• And another thing about commentators and Man City players...

"Kun Aguero". Its what it says on the back of his shirt. Yet despite insisting on calling David Silva and Jesus Navas by their full names, I've never heard a commentator take on "Kun".

I wonder if that has anything to do with the two most likely ways of pronuncing it? As in "moon" would sound offensive to a lot of people. As in "sun" would, if mis-heard slightly, also cause offence. Best to stick to plain old Aguero then. So why the **** can't you do the same with Navas and Silva???

(Does annoy me this. And, my fellow Lifers, next time you watch a Man City game I'll bet it starts to annoy you too!)
  • Sponsored links:

• I think that given the thread title its ok to rant a bit here.

What about Bony? Now he has gone to Man City to bench-warm, he gets an occasional mention by the commentators. They call him Bony. Fair enough. But guess what he had on the back of his shirt for the few minutes he put in against Barcelona? Simply "Wilfried".

My guess is he was p*ssed off at not being thought important enough for a commentator to use his first name so decided to stick it on the back of his shirt as a reminder. Problem is, Wilf, (rhymes with Milf by the way) is not a name you can mis-pronounce very easily so it doesn't get used. I'm afraid you're down there with (Joe) Hart mate. [Didn't anyone tell Wilf that you have to be Brazilian to go by just your first name? ]
  • Lettings Agents
  • And another thing about commentators and Man City players...

"Kun Aguero". Its what it says on the back of his shirt. Yet despite insisting on calling David Silva and Jesus Navas by their full names, I've never heard a commentator take on "Kun".

I wonder if that has anything to do with the two most likely ways of pronuncing it? As in "moon" would sound offensive to a lot of people. As in "sun" would, if mis-heard slightly, also cause offence. Best to stick to plain old Aguero then. So why the **** can't you do the same with Navas and Silva???

(Does annoy me this. And, my fellow Lifers, next time you watch a Man City game I'll bet it starts to annoy you too!)

The Kun in Aguero is just a nickname that he has on the back of his shirt, it isn't his actual name, hence why commentators don't say it.

The Jesus and David is the opposite to annoying, the only annoying thing is people who get annoyed by it! It was the same with James Rodriguez in the World Cup. It's the correct pronunciation. Nothing wrong with it.

As for over using their first names, particularly for silva I have noticed that and suppose it can get annoying.
  • Kun is a cartoon character he looks like. It's like 'Hulk' as if it's his actual name.

That's what annoys me, footballers naming themselves after fictional characters.
  • Kun is a cartoon character he looks like. It's like 'Hulk' as if it's his actual name.

That's what annoys me, footballers naming themselves after fictional characters.

Or a becoming a brand - CR7

• LinkedIn and all the annoying emails that go with it.
    Do these people really want to link me or is just LinkedIn generating them? If I want to no someone or seek advice from them I do it the old fashion way, I'll speak to them.
    Do these people really want to link me or is just LinkedIn generating them? If I want to no someone or seek advice from them I do it the old fashion way, I'll speak to them.

LinkedIn generates them automatically and I really regret joining LinkedIn. It has done zero for my job prospects and it has probably harmed them in some way I can imagine.

Closed my linkedin account a couple of days ago for exactly this reason. Absolute waste of time the whole social media bollocks.
  • When none of your mates are active on Fbook at 1am when you are pissed
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2015
    Bloke on a packed tube having a seat for himself, one for his 4 year old and one for his 2 year old - at least have one of them on your lap!
  • When you need to get up early and your alarm clock goes forward an hour one day early automatically, meaning you have even less sleep
  • the number of things that women have in the bathroom getting in the way. without moving from my spot in the bath I just counted 72 different products; that's not counting anything in drawers/cabinets. I think I use 3 of them and probably only know what about 10 are for, they can't all be needed
  • When none of your mates are active on Fbook at 1am when you are pissed

When our esteemed moderator doesn't utilise the many threads on CL as a canvas for his drunken ramblings

Missed opportunity :(
  • People posting on CharltonLife while they're in the bath
  • Don't want you to miss out @cabbles .

"Fantastic gym session tonight, concentrated on fluid intake and arms.

Feel privileged to be working with such dedicated athletes"

-----

Watching Blankety Blank from 1979, Wogan has just asked Peggy from Middlesex "the doctor said 'I've got a big tv star for a patient and he really loves himself because after I give him his x rays, he BLANKS them"

Bernie Winters thought he signed them, Liza Goddard thought he sent them to his fans, but it turns out he took pictures from his smartphone and uploaded them to Instagram.

Poor old Peggy never stood a chance, she's still on Friends Reunited
  • See, told you you wasn't missing out on anything!
  • And I thought that was funny last night. Not so much this morning!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!