Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• McBobbin said:
    While we're on the subject of neighbours, the one next door to me sticking a (cheap) flagpole up in his back garden with a Union Jack on it - does anything scream xenaphobic gammon bellend as much as a flagpole in your garden?

It's not even a big house, driveway type, he's in a 3 bedroom terraced house with a garden that's about 6ft Square.
    What's wrong with it?

Drive through US residential neighbourhoods and there's US flags everywhere.

Drive through Canadian residential neighbourhoods and there's Canadian flags everywhere.

We aren't the USA or Canada. Flags tend to be reserved for football and last night of the proms and there's always something gloriously, awkwardly English about it. 

It just seems like an uncommon thing to do
    Probably because people are worried about being labelled xenophobic bellends.
    Indeed, whereas the small amount of people who put it up regardless of any worry over that type of label have tended to be, in my experience, xenophobic bellends.
  • While we're on the subject of neighbours, the one next door to me sticking a (cheap) flagpole up in his back garden with a Union Jack on it - does anything scream xenaphobic gammon bellend as much as a flagpole in your garden?

It's not even a big house, driveway type, he's in a 3 bedroom terraced house with a garden that's about 6ft Square.
    What's wrong with it?

Drive through Canadian residential neighbourhoods and there's Canadian flags everywhere.

I read somewhere that there's a correlation between the age of a country and the propensity of its people to do the flag waving thing. This was explained as being a result of national insecurity. Britain, being long established, is a place where most people don't feel the need to fly the flag. Most of us are comfortable with our Britishness without the need for any overt displays. The colonials, maybe feel the need to make up for their shorter histories with a greater degree of flag waving. I don't know if it's true, but it makes sense to me.
  • People on escalators who try to be conscious of their surroundings so stand side ways on the Right hand side, with there phone so they can watch a film or take a selfie or mock someone on social media, please realise that your phone is fucking massive and is in my way. But because your airpods are in can't hear me say " excuse me" but hear me you call a space wasting (add word here)
  • Stig said:
    While we're on the subject of neighbours, the one next door to me sticking a (cheap) flagpole up in his back garden with a Union Jack on it - does anything scream xenaphobic gammon bellend as much as a flagpole in your garden?

What's wrong with it?

I read somewhere that there's a correlation between the age of a country and the propensity of its people to do the flag waving thing. This was explained as being a result of national insecurity. Britain, being long established, is a place where most people don't feel the need to fly the flag. Most of us are comfortable with our Britishness without the need for any overt displays. The colonials, maybe feel the need to make up for their shorter histories with a greater degree of flag waving. I don't know if it's true, but it makes sense to me.
    Yep.
    Pretty much every house has either a tricolor, a province &/or a GAA flag flying proudly here in West Cork.
    We even have Olympic flag & Skibbereen rowing club flags here too.
    Its flagtastic so it is.
  • edited August 2021
    T_C_E said:

Commonplace down here, two flying St George cross currently the other a help for heroes. Often seen flying NHS thank you flags, union flags or Christmas ones in December all within views of my home. Never deemed it malicious at all.
    Lovely old fella next door just removed the St George cross and replaced it with the The Royal Navy Ensign, I'll ask him the significance later when I speak to him.

• edited August 2021
  • This is more than annoying, it’s sickening. FFS, just let people love who they want to love.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-58228598
    Spot on mate - makes my blood boil.
  • with so much focus on racism, will bigots start to focus in on LGBTQ to vent their bile?

• Sponsored links:

• When news reporters go name-dropping and items are reported in terms of who's said what about them. A couple of recent examples, 'Ricky Gervais and Bill Bailly have paid tribute to the comedian Sean Lock who died today' and 'The Queen has expressed sadness at the loss of life following an earthquake in Haiti'. No offence to Gervais, Bailly or The Queen, I'm sure they are all saying the right things, but whatever they are saying is inconsequential to the main stories and should be nothing more than a footnote, if that.
  • MrLargo said:
    These people have become an increasing irritation to me over the last few weeks: https://www.islandpoke.com/

I'm on a health kick at the moment, and these people provide a reasonably pleasant and reasonably healthy office lunchbreak option. 

However, whilst the food does meet my requirements, the in-store experience is everything I hate about the world today. 

Firstly, these people are cut from the same stone as the people who work in the Apple store, who high five you if you happen to be one of those mugs that queues up to buy the brand new iphone first thing in the morning on the day it's released. They've got their own Island Poke dialect, you can't just point at the picture and say "one of those please" without being prepared to face a barrage of questions about the various funky options and cool extra toppings you can have. It's all far too involved and fake happy for a miserable tosser like me that just wants to grumpily mumble my order and receive it as quickly as possible with minimal interaction. 

Secondly, the staff are all wearing masks and are mostly foreign (which I am absolutely happy with, this isn't a Brexit rant, "welcome one and welcome all" is what I say), so they frequently tend to have quite strong accents, or pronounce things differently to how I would, as they are perfectly entitled to do. That's not normally a problem, despite the masks having a slight muffling effect, but it is a problem in Island Poke, because they have the background music up to nightclub volume, so I can barely hear them at all! And finally, as if that wasn't enough then, merging the noise problem and the Apple High 5 w@nkers problem, we have the birthday bell - like the pub last orders bell, rung as loud as possible and then greeted by a communal "Woop woop!!" every time they have a customer who's celebrating his birthday (which seems to be every f%$king time I go in there - what are the chances?!)

Maybe time to start making a salad at home. 

Any cafe that has a "story" should be questioned - reading their story makes me want to eat there less..

FROM THE BEACHES OF HAWAI'I...

Our founder, James Porter, first got a taste for poké after spending his childhood summers between the beaches of California and the tropical islands of Hawai’i. Noticing London’s lunch scene was lacking in fresh, healthy options packing both flavour and quality ingredients, James spotted a poké-sized gap in the market, quit his job at an art gallery and started selling bowls of his tropical island paradise at a street food market.

London went mad for it, and Island Poké was born with the first ever IP being opened in Soho’s Kingly Street in 2016.

• Cut the sky cables while in the garden hacking plants away from dish, should have been more careful was she who must be obeyed wise words on the subject, only really going to miss the golf on sky so life will hobble on.
  • Cut the sky cables while in the garden hacking plants away from dish, should have been more careful was she who must be obeyed wise words on the subject, only really going to miss the golf on sky so life will hobble on.
    You're just an amateur.
    I cut through the cable of 2 hedge cutters, one last year and another last month.
  • Semi-staged Amercin documentary series,  Skinwalker Ranch being a prime example
  • Why do fancy chocolate bars always have to contain salt?
  • edited August 2021
    MrLargo said:
    These people have become an increasing irritation to me over the last few weeks: https://www.islandpoke.com/

I'm on a health kick at the moment, and these people provide a reasonably pleasant and reasonably healthy office lunchbreak option. 

However, whilst the food does meet my requirements, the in-store experience is everything I hate about the world today. 

Firstly, these people are cut from the same stone as the people who work in the Apple store, who high five you if you happen to be one of those mugs that queues up to buy the brand new iphone first thing in the morning on the day it's released. They've got their own Island Poke dialect, you can't just point at the picture and say "one of those please" without being prepared to face a barrage of questions about the various funky options and cool extra toppings you can have. It's all far too involved and fake happy for a miserable tosser like me that just wants to grumpily mumble my order and receive it as quickly as possible with minimal interaction. 

Secondly, the staff are all wearing masks and are mostly foreign (which I am absolutely happy with, this isn't a Brexit rant, "welcome one and welcome all" is what I say), so they frequently tend to have quite strong accents, or pronounce things differently to how I would, as they are perfectly entitled to do. That's not normally a problem, despite the masks having a slight muffling effect, but it is a problem in Island Poke, because they have the background music up to nightclub volume, so I can barely hear them at all! And finally, as if that wasn't enough then, merging the noise problem and the Apple High 5 w@nkers problem, we have the birthday bell - like the pub last orders bell, rung as loud as possible and then greeted by a communal "Woop woop!!" every time they have a customer who's celebrating his birthday (which seems to be every f%$king time I go in there - what are the chances?!)

Maybe time to start making a salad at home. 
    I thought Planet Organic was poncy, compared to that nonsense its actually like a quicky mart. 
    Only in London can you charge silly money for a bowl of raw beans
  • ….end to a sentence? 
  • On a plane, I believe that a single passenger in seat C has a responsibility to stay awake during a flight. My wife and I settle down in A & B and along comes single man, plonks himself in C and proceeds to fall asleep within a nanosecond with ear pods and a mask on. Immediately agitated, I think what do I do when I inevitably need a piss. Do all I can to take my mind off the waterfall manifesting itself inside of me before, 2.85 hours into a 3.2 hour flight, the selfish prick wakes up.

Should I have woken him up or just whipped my knob out and pissed all over his shoes?
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    ….end to a sentence? 
    People editing posts above yours so they look like nonsense
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    ….end to a sentence? 
    People editing posts above yours so they look like nonsense
    Sorry about that, my fat fingers got the better....
  • Macronate said:
    On a plane, I believe that a single passenger in seat C has a responsibility to stay awake during a flight. My wife and I settle down in A & B and along comes single man, plonks himself in C and proceeds to fall asleep within a nanosecond with ear pods and a mask on. Immediately agitated, I think what do I do when I inevitably need a piss. Do all I can to take my mind off the waterfall manifesting itself inside of me before, 2.85 hours into a 3.2 hour flight, the selfish prick wakes up.

Should I have woken him up or just whipped my knob out and pissed all over his shoes?
    wake them up - it goes with the territory of having an aisle seat...
  • Macronate said:
    On a plane, I believe that a single passenger in seat C has a responsibility to stay awake during a flight. My wife and I settle down in A & B and along comes single man, plonks himself in C and proceeds to fall asleep within a nanosecond with ear pods and a mask on. Immediately agitated, I think what do I do when I inevitably need a piss. Do all I can to take my mind off the waterfall manifesting itself inside of me before, 2.85 hours into a 3.2 hour flight, the selfish prick wakes up.

Poor form, a gentleman would let the chap sleep. Urinate on his feet, if challenged simply state you believe you are protecting him from jellyfish bites 
  • edited August 2021
    Macronate said:

Exactly, when you've got to go, you've got to go,  I'd have woken him up.

If he fell asleep that quickly once he can do it again once you come back.
  • Macronate said:

how very British 
  • How very economy class.
  • edited August 2021
    People who fall asleep immediately annoys me anyway so I would of woke the bloke up.
  • Just whisper to him that the water has reached the windows now. 
  • Or scream and start shaking him. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!