Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Qr codes for ordering in restaurants. Am at Gatwick and the only way of ordering and paying in the restaurant is via your phone. It meant having to enter all your card details rather than just tapping your card and then on top of that having to pay +£3 to use the service which doesn't go towards staff tips.
    Definitely the only way to pay? I know many airport restaurants will push you that way and suggest the process, but the staff can normally take an order and payment if asked? I appreciate you are there and I’m not…
    Actually I just assumed that was the only way. No idea tbh and probably was worth asking. I'd imagine they would have to be able to take another way of payment for the older lot.

Met my family in there and they all paid that way so they've made about £15 quid from the charge of just paying that way. I would have been happy to pay by card/cash and adding a few quid tip but just takes the biscuit charging to pay using a qr code.
  • How is there an extra charge for paying via that method ?
  • edited November 2023
    Not normally (Although as per Randy it seems the case in airports). I have to say I’m a fan. One of the bar restaurants in our town operates this way. Order everything on the phone, pay as you go, and it’s served in minutes. Halfway through a meal and you want another drink, no need to get up or try and catch someone’s eye. Open the app, tap the order and it’s paid for and served to the table. At the end no waiting for the bill…no price difference but if you want to tip you can. We generally do because the service is great.
  • And cup-a-soups.
    Surely cups-a-soup
  • MrOneLung said:
    How is there an extra charge for paying via that method ?
    No idea but it's just like when you order via just eat or on the nandos app it adds a service charge. This was using a qr code so no app, just a Web link. Once you order and go to pay it comes up with a service charge which in my case was about £3.20 and then the option to add a tip.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Americans using cups in recipes.

Surely it's very obvious to everyone that using actual weights/volumes of things makes a lot more sense.
    But a cup is a defined amount (8 fluid oz), not like they are saying grab a random sized cup
    I get that, but using them for weights as well just makes the whole thing messier.

1.5 cups of flour
    2 cups milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 7/9ths of a cup of butter

is harder to work out than 800g of flour, 250g of butter, 200ml of milk etc.  Or given they don't have the metric system, lbs and oz.
    Last weekend i newspaper had 5 or 6 recipes for autumn meals. The editor of this piece had just borrowed recipes from websites. All were in normal metric/imperial systems used in British cooking. Then there was one which was for a recipe of Macaroni cheese, taken from an american website. 3/4 of a cup of this 2 cups of that and so on. Plus these were a varied mix of dry and liquid. 
  • MrWalker said:
    The way Americans eat.
    All that fork and knife swapping 
    Cutting everything into smaller pieces in one go then putting the knife down from their dominant hand and just using a fork that has been transferred to their dominant hans.
    Inefficient animals.
    I have never seen this
  • Not normally (Although as per Randy it seems the case in airports). I have to say I’m a fan. One of the bar restaurants in our town operates this way. Order everything on the phone, pay as you go, and it’s served in minutes. Halfway through a meal and you want another drink, no need to get up or try and catch someone’s eye. Open the app, tap the order and it’s paid for and served to the table. At the end no waiting for the bill…no price difference but if you want to tip you can. We generally do because the service is great.
    You're in Weatherspoons aren't you?  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    MrWalker said:
    The way Americans eat.
    Cutting everything into smaller pieces in one go then putting the knife down from their dominant hand and just using a fork that has been transferred to their dominant hans.
    Inefficient animals.
    I have never seen this
    Look up "cut and switch etiquette" and you will become enlightened.
  • Not normally (Although as per Randy it seems the case in airports). I have to say I’m a fan. One of the bar restaurants in our town operates this way. Order everything on the phone, pay as you go, and it’s served in minutes. Halfway through a meal and you want another drink, no need to get up or try and catch someone’s eye. Open the app, tap the order and it’s paid for and served to the table. At the end no waiting for the bill…no price difference but if you want to tip you can. We generally do because the service is great.
    That’s Wetherspoons !
  • MrWalker said:
    The way Americans eat.
    Inefficient animals.
    Compounded when they chomp with their mouths open. I don’t want to see your masticating tumble drier of Mac n Cheese…

(in fairness there are plenty in this country, and statistically plenty on this forum, who were clearly never taught, nor have taught their children, how to eat with their mouths closed).
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrWalker said:
    The way Americans eat.
    Inefficient animals.
    I have never seen this
    Lucky you.
    Probably explains why you haven't put it in the 'things that annoy you' thread.
  • MrWalker said:
    The way Americans eat.
    Inefficient animals.
    Bloke at work used to do this, and also move food onto the back of his fork, not the front that's obviously designed with a dip that side to hold food.  Took him twice as long to eat everything as it fell off the back of the fork, and he kept swapping hands.

Got in a right strop when whenever anyone why he did it and pointed out it was obviously a daft way of doing it, too.
  • MrWalker said:
    The way Americans eat.
    Inefficient animals.
    Wait till you see how some people in Asia and Africa eat....
  • MrWalker said:
    The way Americans eat.
    Inefficient animals.
    and what they eat...
  • MrWalker said:
    The way Americans eat.
    Inefficient animals.
    Without exception, I guarantee they will eat more efficiently and less annoyingly than Americans.
  • The amount of food wasted by Americans at buffet restaurants.
  • edited November 2023
    MrWalker said:
    The amount of food wasted by Americans at buffet restaurants.
    I really hate the trend of massive portions etc that's come over here from America, the "look at how much we pile on a plate!" or "This place serves croissants the size of a dustbin lid!" type videos you see on social media.

Hugely encourages wastage, and people think they're getting a good deal but surely smaller portions and a price reduced accordingly would be better.  "All this for £20!"  Can I have half of it for a tenner?

I love my food (as my waistband would attest to), but I don't need four people's portions of chips or a burger that's obviously too tall to be eaten normally, and croissants were pretty fine the normal size, to be honest.  If I'm hungry I'll order two.
  • Sponsored links:

• The new 20 mph zone that seems to cover most of London. 

Why is it that man invents things to better ones life only for someone to want to undo it all. 

20 mph is no faster than a horse & coach would go 200 years ago. But here we are, in 21st Century London, and we all have to travel at a snail's pace just because the Mayor wants a legacy. 

The traffic in London is bad.....and cars idling and crawling along only adds to the pollutants in the air. 

Thank you Mr Khan for another haibrained scheme. 

Aaaaaarrghhhh.
    Have you ever tried being a pedestrian?
  • edited November 2023
    Solidgone said:
    The new 20 mph zone that seems to cover most of London. 

Why is it that man invents things to better ones life only for someone to want to undo it all. 

20 mph is no faster than a horse & coach would go 200 years ago. But here we are, in 21st Century London, and we all have to travel at a snail's pace just because the Mayor wants a legacy. 

The traffic in London is bad.....and cars idling and crawling along only adds to the pollutants in the air. 

Aaaaaarrghhhh.
    Have you ever tried being a pedestrian?
    People drive when walking/tube would take too long, or when they need the car boot for something etc etc.

Given how much people get charged to drive in London, I'm guessing they don't choose to jump in the car to drive 3 minutes round the corner that much anymore.  I might be wrong though, I don't live there.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Why do the smoke alarm batteries only start giving up in middle of night? 

Got 8 wired in alarms but I swear, every time the back up batteries start running out and the unit starts beeping every 30 seconds it’s in the middle of the night 
    It’s because the battery voltage drops when they get cold, just keep the heating on all night, simple.

Aaaaaarrghhhh.
    20MPH is all over the shop, no need to pretend it is unique to Khan for political reasons, Golfie.

Not saying that I am a fan of it by the way, just things need to be thought about.

Some stats I found. 

The chance of a pedestrian surviving

If you hit a pedestrian they have a much greater chance of surviving if your speed is lower.

If you hit a pedestrian:

• at 40 mph there is a 90 percent chance they will be killed.
    • at 35 mph there is a 50 percent chance they will be killed.
    • at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed.
    • at 20 mph there is a 2.5 percent chance they will be killed.

Aaaaaarrghhhh.
    20MPH is all over the shop, no need to pretend it is unique to Khan for political reasons, Golfie.

Not saying that I am a fan of it by the way, just things need to be thought about.

Some stats I found. 

If you hit a pedestrian they have a much greater chance of surviving if your speed is lower.

If you hit a pedestrian:

And presumably you also have more chance of not being hit in the first place.

Aaaaaarrghhhh.

Some stats I found. 

If you hit a pedestrian:

And if we do away with driving there will be no deaths
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!