Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Olympics - bothered?

Opening ceremony on 08.08.08 but the football starts on Wednesday.

Bothered?

Personally I enjoy the Olympics and watching obscure Brits win medals - why is it we are good at all the sports where you sit down? Horses, Bikes, Yachts, rowing, canoes - and like the running events especially the 5km and 10km

Comments

• Options
    Nope, couldn't care less...
  • Options
    I am well looking forward to it i always enjoy the track and field events and the boxing i just hope it all goes off well
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    me neither.......
  • Options
    hard to get excited but you cannot beat seeing one of ours winning gold....no matter what sport always bring tear to my eye.....so be good to cut all the crap and just show us winning ....
  • Options
    My next door neighbour is an Olympic athlete (winter games) - he was in Turin 2006 & will (fingers-crossed) be at Vancouver 2010. Unbelievable the training these guys put in - he got back on Saturday night at 9pm from New Zealand where he was on a 3 week training camp & was then out at 8am on Sunday morning pounding the streets.

I will watch some of the Peking games, some of our greatest sporting moments have come from the Olympics - Coe/Ovett, Daley Thompson, Sally Gunnel, Eddie The Eagle Edwards etc etc
  • Options
    Did any of you watch Sprint last night on beep 2?

it was about the 4 lads that have gone to bejing in the 100 meters and with so much hype based on Druggy Dwain it was real good tv

not taht they have nuch of a chance but it was real good to get inside the emotions of an athlete
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite] why is it we are good at all the sports where you sit down? Horses, Bikes, Yachts, rowing, canoes

Maybe this has something to do with it

British olympic training in the workplace
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Did any of you watch Sprint last night on beep 2?

it was about the 4 lads that have gone to bejing in the 100 meters and with so much hype based on Druggy Dwain it was real good tv

not taht they have nuch of a chance but it was real good to get inside the emotions of an athlete

I saw it very interesting as you say.
  • Options
    hate athletics,

I see BMXing is now a recognised sport though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep fantastic sporting spectacle.

Particularly looking forward to the guest events they have every games to celebrate the host country. Not sure what they will be, but I believe, 'Tibetan Monk Throwing' and 'Dalai Lama Hunting' are a possibility. :-)
  • Options
    Off to Beijing, Wednesday night to get there for the Opening Ceremony on Fri so yes...
  • Options
    Always try to watch the boxing. Some i will look out for, but wait till we win the gold medal in the running backwards carrying an umbrella 400M hurdels. It will be front page news.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]hate athletics,

Bet you can't wait for the Fencing though Razil?
  • Options
    Not in the middle of night to watch on tv...NO
  • Options
    It's the greatest sporting event in the world. I'm looking forward to it. Not as much as the next one though!
  • Options
    ha ha quite good Oakster, despite being somewhat unoriginal..
  • Options
    Not really...

Hope it doesn't get in the way of the footy coverage of the new season!
  • Options
    Love the olympics, obscure sports, strange times for events to fit in with US prime time coverage. It's all good.

obviously watching the Brits do well is great, but to be honest just seeing top athletes going for broke is good enough. With all the digital tv stuff as well it will be even easier to just flick between events.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]It's the greatest sporting event in the world. I'm looking forward to it. Not as much as the next one though!

You won't mind paying the extra council tax I'm being charged to pay for it then....... ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The olympics has produced some great moments - Daley Thompson in the decathalon, Steve Redgrave winning golds at five different Olympics, Coe and Ovett at Moscow in 1980, with Ovett winning gold in Coe's distance and then Coe beating Ovett a few days later in Ovett's favourite race the 1500m, or Kelly Holmes winning two track golds in 2004, the British hockey team taking gold at Moscow against opponents that were semi-pro at least, Denise Lewis, the cycling golds...great drama, how can anyone who likes sport not get excited over events like that?

Even true British failure - Paula Radcliffe in the marathon or Derek Redmond tearing his hamstring and being helped around the track by his father, determined to finish the race, albeit a long time after the race had been run.

Then there are other athletes - Muhammad Ali lit the torch for the Atlanta games, and he'd won a gold in 1960, which he later threw away when he was refused service in a white's only restaurant. Smith and Carlos in their black power salute at Mexico in 1968...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]It's the greatest sporting event in the world. I'm looking forward to it. Not as much as the next one though!

You won't mind paying the extra council tax I'm being charged to pay for it then....... ;o)
    I'm being charged it as well! But as I'm in the construction industry and will start working on the stadium next year I'm not that fused with it. :-)
  • Options
    I used to love athletics.............watching it thinking 'if only I hadn't been a lazy trout, what could have been'

But, it's been tainted. And I find it very very difficult to watch without thinking..............'I wonder if they've just managed to do that through sheer hard work & determination.............or did they take a pill?'

Can't take away the great memories of it though.

I don't intend to watch this one...............that's if you can see it through the smog or line's of security ensuring that all the Chinese are enjoying themselves like they've been told to do.

:-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]hate athletics,

Hate!!!!
  • Options
    Olympics this weekend. We are set to win a few medals i think.

Now what time do i have to set my alarm to watch Adlington? Any ideas anyone. And what time is the 4's?
  • Options
    We beat the French in the mens team sprint cycling!! Marvellous. just watched it online.
  • Options
    KBslittlesis, drugs were a lot worse in the 80s, especially with women from Eastern Europe. The 400m record set in the 80s by an East German is still out of the reaches of todays athletes. And the less said about the stubble on the Russian shot putters...
  • Options
    Just watched the second round of the 100 dash ....

Now that's what you call running
  • Options
    KBslittlesis, drugs were a lot worse in the 80s, especially with women from Eastern Europe. The 400m record set in the 80s by an East German is still out of the reaches of todays athletes. And the less said about the stubble on the Russian shot putters...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Adlington swims at 0315. Think i will watch the highlights later.

Has been great to watch this year.

Love the comment on Mock The Week, re it's now okay to watch young ladies in leotards, and the P*** take over the opening ceremony.