Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Olympics - bothered?

Comments

• Options
    Canada hasn't won a single medal yet - the press are going absolutely crazy over here.
  • Options
    Cuba beat the USA 5-4 in the baseball.
  • Options
    Love it all. Enjoy watching athletics on the telly more than football now.

Swimming, cycling, rowing, badminton, archery, sports i have no interest in at all yet if someone is on the screen with a Union Jack on, i become an avid fan. Have admiration and envy for anyone who is reaches that level in any sport.

Will be setting a 3am alarm to cheer on the swimmer !
  • Options
    Will be setting a 3am alarm to cheer on the swimmer !

And if you did then well worth the loss of sleep, another gold and a WR to boot.
  • Options
    I watched it, she won by a distance......excellent work. I'm enjoying the Olympics
  • Options
    the world is on the brink of a super power conflict and all you can get is olympic coverage on bbc news 24, what a joke
  • Options
    Canada have won a medal - in the rowing.
  • Options
    Steven Burke through to the final of the 4K cycling pursuit, if Bradley Wiggins wins his heat it'll be an all British final.
  • Options
    what a great swim,completely smashed the rest.ben ainslie was unlucky to have the race abandoned with no wind,so no gold.the yank must be so pleased as ainslie was forcing him out of any medal.stephen burke in the cycling was quality too,looked out of it before cranking it up to win on last lap.

my thoughts are with the rest of the world today.
  • Options
    Elise Laverick and Anna Bebington win a bronze in the women's double sculls, losing both a gold and silver by a yard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    terrific race wasn't it? hardly anything in it in the end.
  • Options
    Matthew Wells and Stephen Rowbotham just edged out for silver in the men's double sculls...
  • Options
    The cyclist are tearing up the velodrome
  • Options
    CommentAuthorRothko CommentTime2 minutes ago
    The cyclist are tearing up the velodrome

The lights must've been on red!
    ;o)
  • Options
    Now that mens fours final just then was bloody good. Thought the commentator was gonna have a heart attack at the end there!
  • Options
    British gold in the rowing - the men's fours, great race the British quartet came from third place to overhaul the Aussies.
  • Options
    Now that mens fours final just then was bloody good. Thought the commentator was gonna have a heart attack at the end there!

By contrast, watching on German Eurosport they made it sound like a training race.
  • Options
    how good was that race fellas fecking screaming at the tv beat the aussies feckas beat the aussies feckas (sorry tel)
  • Options
    Yeah BFR, but I can' t relly imagine a German commentator showing too outward emotion about anything. I'm sure they are very precise and professional at all times.

The bloke on the BBC was encouraging people to shout and cheer at their telly's as they started to reel the Aussies in - I kid you not. Obviously I didn't want to let the fella down so gave them a bit of a roar myself!
  • Options
    Feck me, there's some indoor cycling thing on now and the bloke in front is on a motorbike - surely that's not allowed?!
    ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Guaranteed Gold and Sliver in the womens 3000m Pursuit cycling.

Keirin racing is madness
  • Options
    Bradley Wiggins goes in the final of the 4K pursuit soon, and he's expected to win.
  • Options
    I have watched a lot of the olympics this year,this despite being originally apathetic towards the build up.
    The bit that has drawn me in is the realisation that our athletes work so hard in training before this mostly in obscurity in total dedication to their sport. It takes a lot of self belief and a huge amount of effort. What seems to be lacking is any arrogance, most of them seem unassuming and quick to acknowledge the support they have had round them.
    Their delight in winning anything or just being there has been great to watch. So good luck to them, how must it feel to have all that work rewarded with a medal eh.
  • Options
    Chris Newton wins a bronze in the men's cycling points race - what is that all about?
  • Options
    Great stuff so far this morning, but no idea what was just going on in that men's cycling points race. Any of you cyclists (Rothko?) care to explain???!! Somehow we got a bronze...
  • Options
    From wikipedia:

A points race is a mass start track cycling event involving large numbers of riders simultaneously on track. It is an Olympic discipline.

In this endurance race, points are awarded to the first five finishers of sprints. The sprints usually occur every ten laps on a 250m track, or more often on bigger tracks. The winner of the race is the person who accumulates the most points and is on the leading lap. Sometimes laps will not take automatic precedence, and instead 20 points are awarded to a rider who gains a lap.

Because a large group of riders has an aerodynamic advantage over riders on their own or in a small group, races typically proceed with most riders in a large bunch and then sprinting at each point-scoring interval (often assisted by teammates, who expend energy to aerodynamically "tow" their colleagues to the front of the pack, then peel off to let them sprint for the line). However, the points race also offers opportunities for riders who cannot sprint as fast but can maintain a high speed for some distance, as they — either individually or in small groups — attempt to break away from the main field.

With so many competing riders on a relatively small track all sticking closely together to gain optimum aerodynamic advantage, crashes are not uncommon. Similarly, because of the large numbers involved, abject confusion on the part of the viewer is not uncommon, either.

The points race (because of its length) is not usually held in an omnium track race (unless it is a shortened distance). This means cyclists often have to go to larger events to take part in a major points race. Cyclists determine position in a points race whilst riding at high speeds around a banked track with 30 or more riders.
  • Options
    And Chris Hoy into the final of the Keirin, he made it look easy.
  • Options
    2 brits in that final.
  • Options
    Steve Burke wins Bronze in the 4k pursuit...

Can Bradley Wiggins win a gold?
  • Options
    wiggings takes gold and burke bronze in the 4k persuit. never in doubt.