Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• I blame Leon Clarke...
  • Football Rumours put this up ,can't see most of them coming off

27 Aug 2012 10:12:01
    Chris Powell to be busy in the next week ,these are the deals the Charlton Manager potentially has lined up :

In

Luke Young QPR Loan
    Conor Henderson Arsenal Loan
    John Bostock and / or Dean Parrett Spurs Loan
    Stephen Quinn Sheffield United £750K
    Jordan Spence West Ham (part exchange for Solly)
    Dany N'Guessan Millwall ( £100K )
    Nigel Reo-Cocker Free Agent (former team mate of Powell's at West Ham )

Out
    Chris Solly West Ham £3.5M up front plus add ons and a player in exchange
    Danny Green Swindon £300 K
    Scott Wagstaff Nottm Forest £300 K
    Leon Clarke Oldham 50 K
  • There is probably an eliment of truth in it but our board may not just be negotiating with West Ham I am sure other clubs will be interested in him and may be less likely to go back down.
  • I seriously doubt that Solly to WHU for £2mill is going to happen. All the debate here is about Charlton's situation, but what about West Ham's?

Here's three reasons why I can't see them making a move for Solly this transfer window:

1) At the moment their objective is Premier League survival - NOT long term planning. Hence paying big money for immediate first team player like Matt Jarvis and not looking for younger prospects who could take a season or two to adapt to Prem.

2) After spending such a large sum on Jarvis can they really justify a further £2million on a right back (remember Clyne, who had played a couple of seasons in Champ and at Old Trafford etc cost £3mill) who is unproven still even at Championship level and is unlikely to feature much in their survival campaign?

3) West Ham currently have THREE right-backs in and around the first team: Guy Demel, Joey O'Brien and Winston Reid. Do they really need another? Can they justify spending money on another? Especially one who wont be in the first team for a while to come?

Basically, it wouldn't make any sense for a team targeting Premier League survival, who have already spent money, and have a number of right-backs to pay up for Solly now. I'd be very surprised....
  • Richard J said:

Football Rumours put this up ,can't see most of them coming off

27 Aug 2012 10:12:01
    Chris Powell to be busy in the next week ,these are the deals the Charlton Manager potentially has lined up :

In

Luke Young QPR Loan
    Conor Henderson Arsenal Loan
    John Bostock and / or Dean Parrett Spurs Loan
    Stephen Quinn Sheffield United £750K
    Jordan Spence West Ham (part exchange for Solly)
    Dany N'Guessan Millwall ( £100K )
    Nigel Reo-Cocker Free Agent (former team mate of Powell's at West Ham )

Out
    Chris Solly West Ham £3.5M up front plus add ons and a player in exchange
    Danny Green Swindon £300 K
    Scott Wagstaff Nottm Forest £300 K
    Leon Clarke Oldham 50 K

Didn't Dean Parrett go to somewhere like Exeter/Yeovil on a years loan ?
    Thats his level as well, why bring in worse than we've got. We've already got enough in the squad who possibly aren't good enough, how about we shift some of those on & keep Solly ?

• I seriously doubt that Solly to WHU for £2mill is going to happen. All the debate here is about Charlton's situation, but what about West Ham's?

Here's three reasons why I can't see them making a move for Solly this transfer window:

1) At the moment their objective is Premier League survival - NOT long term planning. Hence paying big money for immediate first team player like Matt Jarvis and not looking for younger prospects who could take a season or two to adapt to Prem.

2) After spending such a large sum on Jarvis can they really justify a further £2million on a right back (remember Clyne, who had played a couple of seasons in Champ and at Old Trafford etc cost £3mill) who is unproven still even at Championship level and is unlikely to feature much in their survival campaign?

3) West Ham currently have THREE right-backs in and around the first team: Guy Demel, Joey O'Brien and Winston Reid. Do they really need another? Can they justify spending money on another? Especially one who wont be in the first team for a while to come?

Basically, it wouldn't make any sense for a team targeting Premier League survival, who have already spent money, and have a number of right-backs to pay up for Solly now. I'd be very surprised....

this is what i think.makes no sense but football never ceases to amaze though.
  • edited August 2012

I seriously doubt that Solly to WHU for £2mill is going to happen. All the debate here is about Charlton's situation, but what about West Ham's?

What if another team(s) want him?

Try telling this to west ham
  • Solly has been seen having a nandos with big Sam. ;-)
  • Solly has been seen having a nandos with big Sam. ;-)

That explains why Solly looks a bit under-nourished then!! ;-)

• Sponsored links:

• Couldn't have seen much as I was sure Pritchard missed from a yard and it was yann

Difficult to tell apart I know, NLA.

;o)

Far too much logic and reason in this post for my liking
  • @RichCawleySLP: #cafc hoping to do a permanent deal for Tottenham goalkeeper David Button. Full story in tomorrow's paper.”
  • I'm sure I remember Button was on a season long loan at Argyle in League One a couple of seasons ago.

Kept the 1st team shirt while he was there.
  • He's been on loan to twelve clubs and he's only 23:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Button
  • Thought Button was good on the few times I've seen him play.
  • @RichCawleySLP: #cafc hoping to do a permanent deal for Tottenham goalkeeper David Button. Full story in tomorrow's paper.”

Hmmmn...Where does that leave Sully. Out on loan, perhaps?

• Any money should be used for a CM not a backup keeper imo. Sully is good enough back up
  • Oggy Red said:

I'm sure I remember Button was on a season long loan at Argyle in League One a couple of seasons ago.

Kept the 1st team shirt while he was there.

Was in goal for Plymouth at Powells first home game, kept Larrieu out of the side who was on the bench
  • Any money should be used for a CM not a backup keeper imo. Sully is good enough back up

I'm not sure, from what I've seen of him we'd be in big trouble if Sullivan was needed for any period of time. If this lad is half decent and won't cost us much then he probably is a decent signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• I blame Leon Clarke...

He is the source of all evil .....

:o)
  • Short memories - Sully was a liability at Preston and Fulham
  • Short memories - Sully was a liability at Preston and Fulham

and Orient
  • In the times today there's a mention of Wet Spam going for an Ivorian RB from Belgium .... They obviously like their RBs as with Solly that'd make 5 I think.

From that rumours post ..
    Why would Green drop back into League 1 ?!?
    Why would Reo-coker come to us as he wants Prem football - plus we couldn't afford his wages (£30k I'd guess as an minimum)

Love these rumours but particularly love the ridiculous ones ..

Cue egg on face by end of the week !!!
  • My mate hasn't heard anything about solly and can't see him going now that baldock isn't there.

Hoping I don't get a message from him tomorrow or the next couple of days saying he is off
  • Solly to the Hamsters and Luke Young in on loan.... hmm... that would be an interesting one and plausible. Might be quite a neat solution to allow us to get some (allegedly) much needed funds in whilst not significantly weakening the team and recruiting a stop gap to play regularly while Jordan Cousins develops a little further to be (maybe) be ready for the first team next season.

Don't want to see Solly go because he's everything a fan loves in a player, but if it happened under those kinds of circumstances it could be smart business. Whether we'd be able to cover the % of Young's salary QPR would be looking for I don't know.
  • My mate hasn't heard anything about solly and can't see him going now that baldock isn't there.

Hoping I don't get a message from him tomorrow or the next couple of days saying he is off

that's good enough for me!
  • Also big Sam only buys lanky players to fit his style of hoof ball. You'd need two Solly's to please big Sam in the height department.
  • Small players are becoming more fashionable again because of the Spanish national team. Doubt Yosemite Sam has much time for them though.
  • Davo55 said:

If Solly is going, I hope the deal is done quickly so SCP has a little time to do some transfer business. CM a priority but we will also need another RB as I doubt Jordan Cousins is ready for the step up yet. What price Fraser Richardson back from Saints on loan?

Really hope Solly stays though.

Lawrie Wilson is already here.

But we want competition for each position and I don't think either Hughes or Cousins is it at RB - hence the need to bring someone else in if Solly goes.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!