Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Manager 2010

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2009
    I just missed out on automatic promotion by 1 point :-(

Brighton won the league, Leeds finished a point above us. All down to the 3-3 draw away to Southampton. Was 3-1 up at half time, drew 3-3 in the end.
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]I quite like the new format, is quite a bit different but like the new style although just getting used to it. better then the one before i'd say, dont like that you cannot have an arrow for your players who want to go forward wen got the ball. although they do anyway just always looked better with arrows pointing in the direction they go
    Arrows were removed after they realised no one really understood what they did - everyone had different ideas, just wasn't clear. People were also using them (on purpose or without realising it) to exploit the match engine. Football ended up looking more realistic for it.
  • Options
    Definitely buying this game soon.
    Anyone got any bargain buys? A mate tells me that Jano Ananidze and Romelo Lukaku (two 16 year olds) become world class so snap them up!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I just missed out on automatic promotion by 1 point :-(

Brighton won the league, Leeds finished a point above us. All down to the 3-3 draw away to Southampton. Was 3-1 up at half time, drew 3-3 in the end.

I was 4-0 up away at Saints and lost 5-4! 4 penalties in 12 minutes!!! The Mrs had to come upstairs and see what all the expletives were about.
  • Options
    Playoff semi final first leg lost 2-0 to Huddersfield. Second leg at home, go 1-0 up, 2-0 in the last minute and take it to extra time. Throw Dickson on and he makes it 3-0, but Huddersfield get 1 back.

Goes to penalties and Dickson & Racon miss, Shelvey, Sam and McKenzie score. Huddersfield only miss one and go through to the final and eventually lose to Southend.

Bulgarians haven't invested any money, so I'm having to sign free transfers. Gone for some proper League One type signings in Clive Platt and Michael Mifsud, missed out on Kevin Phillips who went to Hibs. Have a few wingers on trial as there's just no back up for Sam and had to play McKenzie out on the left a lot of the time.

Like with the real Charlton, I needed more options out wide and up front, and some goalscorers. Seems I'll easily keep hold of the likes of Shelvey, Bailey and Racon, not really any interest in them. Shame in a way, should be a challenge in keeping them after failing to be promoted.
  • Options
    Scoham, Do you play games using the 3D Match Engine or do you just use commentary only? If you use the 3D, do the quick tactic changes and instructions make that much of a difference. Im old school and prefer to just use commentary and at full speed, making it quite difficult to make tactical changes during a game.
  • Options
    I personally think the quick tactical changes do, i watch in 3d and only match i drew was winning 2-0nil, subbed couple of players to rest them and told them to retain possesion so the other team come back and scored couple of goals. im liking the new quick instructions eg. swap players, as i tend to swap lloyd sam & S.watt(if you need another winger i would recommend him as he does the job, in pre-season scored a couple and i usually swap him every so often in the game and does make quite a difference)
  • Options
    Am downloading the demo now - but not holding much hope for the 3d graphics on my laptop, is the game still any good without them?
  • Options
    when you start with charlton though they always over the wage bill before you even started the season - slightly fustrating!!

Any gems found anyone?
  • Options
    also, whats the latest patch?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: c/a/f/c[/cite]also, whats the latest patch?

Patch is 1.0. It can be downloaded on FM Base website.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Scoham, Do you play games using the 3D Match Engine or do you just use commentary only? If you use the 3D, do the quick tactic changes and instructions make that much of a difference. Im old school and prefer to just use commentary and at full speed, making it quite difficult to make tactical changes during a game.
    I almost always use highlights. I've even had to play a few matches using full highlights just to sort out the team and not mess up in big games. I've mixed it up though sometimes switching to key if I've clearly won or lost the game, or it's one of the cups. Mainly used extended highlights. Don't feel I'd get enough of an idea what's going on using commentary only. I can't really imagine how I'd get a feel for what to change watching only the commentary.

The quick changes basically edit the sliders, there's a guide to what they do on the SI forums. Some are more obvious than others, play wider increases the width and sets passing to focus down the flanks. Others like 'look for overlap' do a lot of things, make the full backs get forward, make the wingers hold up the ball for them etc.

As for patches, there's only one out like Gary said. Next one should be around Christmas (so next month or so) and then a final one in February/March with a transfer window update.
  • Options
    Has anyone managed to get Bailey scoring regularly? Racon and Shelvey got most goals from midfield me, then Sam, Bailey and McKenzie (on the left wing) getting around 5 each.
  • Options
    I find that Basey has been my player of the season so far, Youga can't get a look in and is threatening to leave. And I play Bailey on the left, with long shots on often. Does the job for me :)
  • Options
    Had it a week. Just won league 1 as CAFC by 3 points ahead of Leeds and Norwich. It's very addictive - I went to bed with the PSP at 10 and didn't put it down 'til 1.30, upsetting the missus a bit. Great game! Shelvey scoring for me, McKenzie best striker with Dicko.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I need help with my wage budget, I am about 20k a week over-budget and no-one wants to buy Dickson/McLeod/Sinclair, eek. I need to get this sorted, so any ways of being able to sell the above 3 would be appreciated. I've tried offering them on loan and offering them to other clubs for free and still no-one's interested. So it seems I am left with 1 of two or three routes.

Option 1) Get rid of Spring - only being used as back-up, and in my 4-4-2 formation with a midfield of Skacel, Bailey, Racon and Sam wouldn't get a look in, especially after Semedo and Shelvey.

Option 2) Get rid of Semedo - highest earner in the squad by a distance, not in my first eleven, but he is excellent as back-up and can play across the defence also. Not sure it's worth 12k per week for someone who won't play every game though.

Option 3) Do the unthinkable, and sell Shelvey - although not a big earner, Shelvey would attract a decent fee which could then relieve my wage budget issue. This could be risky though as the board may keep the extra money for themselves and not put it back into the squad.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I went for option 3 at the beginning of the season to keep me in the black all season. Hewson from Man Utd on loan did the job. It's football manager so loyalties to one side!

I got £1.5m for him plus a big sell on clause. I've heard other people where the board accepted a bid on the managers behalf so I thought I'd accept a reasonable offer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]I need help with my wage budget, I am about 20k a week over-budget and no-one wants to buy Dickson/McLeod/Sinclair, eek. I need to get this sorted, so any ways of being able to sell the above 3 would be appreciated. I've tried offering them on loan and offering them to other clubs for free and still no-one's interested. So it seems I am left with 1 of two or three routes.

Option 1) Get rid of Spring - only being used as back-up, and in my 4-4-2 formation with a midfield of Skacel, Bailey, Racon and Sam wouldn't get a look in, especially after Semedo and Shelvey.

Option 2) Get rid of Semedo - highest earner in the squad by a distance, not in my first eleven, but he is excellent as back-up and can play across the defence also. Not sure it's worth 12k per week for someone who won't play every game though.

Option 3) Do the unthinkable, and sell Shelvey - although not a big earner, Shelvey would attract a decent fee which could then relieve my wage budget issue. This could be risky though as the board may keep the extra money for themselves and not put it back into the squad.

You could start a new manager get him to buy them and then delete him.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]You could start a new manager get him to buy them and then delete him.[/quote]

True. I'd prefer not to have to resort to that though.
  • Options
    If you cancel the link between our feeder club in Africa, Deble comes back to the club who is pretty at League 1 level.
  • Options
    5 games to go, 2nd in the league, just been put under transfer embargo as coming to the end of long period of takeover talks. Told if the takeover goes through i will be replaced!
    But thats not even the worst bit......consortium led by local businessman simon jordan! NO WAY!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    finished top by 7 points in mine, christian vieri my top scorer and quite confortably the top scorer in the league, and viduka 2nd top scorer in the league. I let a fair few in but i reckon i prob averaged 4 goals a game :) good times
  • Options
    I'm 13th in the Premiership with Sunderland in my first season with 5 games to go. Was told to battle bravely against relegation so not too bad. Darren Bent, despite fairly mediocre stats, is brilliant. I play him using the 'poacher' role, he's got 20 goals in 34 games.

Loving the stories of Viduka and Vieri up front for Charlton with Shelvey tucked in behind.
  • Options
    Just finished first season won title on goal difference huddersfield 2nd leeds 3rd and lost to millwall in playoffs colchester won playoffs. Shelvey was sold to gunners for 1.6m with 30% sell on clause and a home friendly (which they tonked us 5 nil) 4 games into championship now drawn 2 lost one won one, no money so free signings once again got some good bargins:

Elliot ward cb
    Robert peries amrlc
    Angelos bassinas dmc
    Matt murray gk
    Caleb folan sc
    Rufete amr
    Bouszoma dutch wide player
    Hewson amc

And few liverpool man utd chelsea youth cast offs to bolster the reserves.
  • Options
    On mine, the board accepted an offer for Shelvey from Middlesbrough for peanuts, £925,000 i think, near the end of the January transfer window. Definitely should have placed him on the transfer list and got more! Bought McSheffery for £400,000 and got Woods from Chelsea in on loan as replacements. Oh and managed to sell McLeod to Palarse for £1.6 million, although the board took most of that to pay off debt. If only Palace were so kind in real life....
  • Options
    Ive got a goalscoring problem. Ive loaned Brandy from Man Utd, who i play up front with Deon in a basic 4-4-2.
    I make so many chances but ive only scored 14 in 11. My defence is pretty solid tho after purchasing a rightback/centre half called Yakubu on a free, so im currently 6th.
    How do you get your midfielders scoring?....Brandy has got 9 of the 14!
  • Options
    Sitting 3rd in the Championship with my Charlton side with 4/5 games to go. Got a 16 yo called Beardsley in net, Basey, Franks, Seedorf, Solly at back, Bailey, Semedo, Shelvey, Sam in midfield and Rhodes and Dickson up front. Rhodes is on fire and Shelvey gets a fair few too. Was getting offers around 2mill for Shelvey but turned them down and he got the hump. Now he's alright again. I need a replacement for Dickson!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]5 games to go, 2nd in the league, just been put under transfer embargo as coming to the end of long period of takeover talks. Told if the takeover goes through i will be replaced!
    But thats not even the worst bit......consortium led by local businessman simon jordan! NO WAY!!!
    Is that on FM 2010? The patch fixed that problem, other people also had it at other clubs.
    Board Takeovers
    ===============
    - Stopped non-players who dislike a club from leading consortium's that are interested in taking them over.
    http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=158962

Jordan of course has Charlton in his list of disliked clubs!
  • Options
    so many problems with the "perfect" game
  • Options
    Problem with FM is that there are so many possibilities etc that the game cannot be 100% tested before its placed on sale. Patches are a brilliant idea, along with the updates & graphic packages. Just really want someone to release a background pack for 2010.