Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Manager 2010

Comments

• Options
    Finished 2nd in my first season, promoted with the champions Huddersfield and Millwall won the play-off final 2-0 against Leeds.

Currently 18 points from 11 games in the Championship, nicely placed in 8th. :)
  • Options
    Haven't played this for donkeys years. Got rather good at it a few years back...
    barcavsmadrid.jpg
  • Options
    The old CM games look so outdated now. Can't really believe it's 9 1/2 years ago I bought CM 00/01. Got to 2032 or something with Charlton, still have the saved game now.

Haven't got that far since. Was the only version I really got into a game with Charlton.
  • Options
    I'm 2nd, one point behind Leeds with a game in hand at the start of January, about to go through a Takeover and I'm in the Final of the southern section of the JPT and have turned down the Birmingham City job to stay with Charlton - but the demo has run out! - Time to buy the full version!

Starting lineup is a 4-4-2:

Elliot

Lauren (free)
    Sodje
    De Laet (Loan)
    Castedo

Sean Newton (!) (free)
    Dailly
    Racon
    Skacel (free)

Mckenzie
    Carroll (loan)

Also signed Rudolph Douala on a free and Sean Scannel on loan and have sold Llyod Sam and Grant Basey.

Anyone know how to stop getting so many yellow and red cards?
  • Options
    lol started one today as bromley in the conference south, board expectation mid table. so far lost first game won 6 in row since so am top of the league, mad few signings dont really know bromley team so well but so far soo good
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]lol started one today as bromley in the conference south, board expectation mid table. so far lost first game won 6 in row since so am top of the league, mad few signings dont really know bromley team so well but so far soo good

Its all about Welling ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]lol started one today as bromley in the conference south, board expectation mid table. so far lost first game won 6 in row since so am top of the league, mad few signings dont really know bromley team so well but so far soo good

Its all about Welling ;)

haha was thinking of that but then thought as worked in bromley for 5 years felt more towards them, although that said i dont look out for their results or know half their players till today anyways ;-)
  • Options
    Running away with League One at the moment with Claudio Ranieri stalking Jonjo Shelvey...

Bailey is running the show and loanees Tonge, Harewood, Gibson and Angel are playing their part... Fonseca up front is into the 30's in goals

In the middle of a dodgy takeover and Paul Jewell is about to get my job apparently *eek*
  • Options
    Sch, do you think they could ever do a 'decades' version of football manager? 70's 80's etc.. take over charlton in 1970 with accurate players and. Wages etc.. wouldn't expect current players to be born and appear, but a full database of 70s players would be possible. Just a thought.
  • Options
    i am a few games in had a bit of bad start but have won last couple of games and am now up to 6th.

anyone got any hints or tips playing a 442 with the full backs pushing on although both youga and richardson have not played this season as injured so may improve when they are back fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done 4 seasons with Sunderland, finished 14th, 13th, 6th and 6th.

I now have 3 £25m 'gift loans' from Niall Quinn which need to be paid back.

Benty is still banging them in and I've got Jonjo, although he struggles to get in the team and has requested a transfer - no chance.
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]i am a few games in had a bit of bad start but have won last couple of games and am now up to 6th.

anyone got any hints or tips playing a 442 with the full backs pushing on although both youga and richardson have not played this season as injured so may improve when they are back fit.

I normally use the 'Look for overlap' touchline shout to get the full backs to overlap. I play a 4-1-1-2-2 (!) formation, so can't really help out with 4-4-2. I always use a defensive midfielder otherwise I tend to concede loads of goals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]i am a few games in had a bit of bad start but have won last couple of games and am now up to 6th.

My charlton one i finished top convinceingly and am top of championship after half a season i think maybe aroun 10 games as havent played it for a while

My Team was Elliot, Richardson, Sodje (Cover, ball playing defender), Daily(Stopper, simple defender-well watever its called), Youga - put borth at right back & left back spots but put as wingback format
    Semedo DM- Set to DM also, defend
    Camara- Up front on the right, Poacher

thats rough idea, can check for you tonight and put on here as cant remember much right now
  • Options
    Got sacked second season in league one, got to the final of the JPT. Sacked before the final, the fuckers, after turning down a job at Swansea.

Loaded it via steam, can get an hour in during lunch at work.

Loved CM 97 & 98 in Dos, you could edit a player to be yourself and set everything at 20s. God I was good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    Loved CM 97 & 98 in Dos, you could edit a player to be yourself and set everything at 20s. God I was good.

I was also an amazing D/M/F R/L/C
  • Options
    Fantastic results last night on FM 2009.

Millwall got relegated to league 2!
    Bromley got promoted to league 2! Although they did need a bit of help from me in the playoffs... I felt they earnt it after paying £650k for Scott Wagstaff!

My (dirty) Leeds side in the UEFA cup final, beating some good sides like Juventus, Athletic Madrid and Spurs on route to the final where we play Arsenal, that's all been done with out Nathans little cheat method, although i did lose the final on penalties to Arsenal last night so I think I'm allowed another shot at it, if I lose that they I'll take it, I was only expected to make the group stage!

Leroy, is that the 97/98 game? My brother still plays on that version and has it patched up to this season, the sad cunt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Sch, do you think they could ever do a 'decades' version of football manager? 70's 80's etc.. take over charlton in 1970 with accurate players and. Wages etc.. wouldn't expect current players to be born and appear, but a full database of 70s players would be possible. Just a thought.
    Been suggested loads of times, and some people have made unofficial databases for it over the years.

Too much work and nothing really to gain for SI, so I think it'll continue as it is, with people occasionally making their own updates. At least with the competition editor you could set up accurate leagues and cups.
  • Options
    Still cant find any background images that work with the new game. Is it to do with the skins, Sco?
  • Options
    Final patch is out with January transfer window data update.

Would be interested in any feedback on the Charlton data. Wagstaff, Tuna, Sam and Dailly in particular have had their ratings adjusted to better reflect their strengths and weaknesses. With the latest data you'll have Reid, Mooney and Akpo from the start. No Johnnie Jackson though as short term loans aren't included.
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Still cant find any background images that work with the new game. Is it to do with the skins, Sco?
    Missed this, I think so yes. I don't like changing backgrounds so haven't looked into it myself. The skinning section on the SI forums would be the best place to ask.
  • Options
    Promoted to championship 1st season finishing 2nd (with charlton), finished 18th in my first championship season. Getting a bit frustrated as the board wont give me a transfer budget. Im too addicted to this game, play it every night til 4 in the morning and wake up every day knackered.

Usual formation

Elliot

richardson sodjie da leat youga

sam/stanislas samedo racon baily

zavon hines shelvey (traquista role)
  • Options
    I also signed De Laet in my game.

Don't have time to play every day, but been playing when I can since it came out and have just been promoted to the Prem after 6 seasons. The changes to the match engine in the patch have actually helped my team, we went from being a mid table Championship side to a very good one.

Looking forward to seeing how much I've got to spend in the Prem, really don't have a clue how much I'll have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Found a really good skin and can use last years background images, makes it much better to look at.

I cant manage Charlton, im useless with them. What formation works the best with the squad we start with?

Been palying as Spurs, finished 3rd first season. Just sold Modric for £20m to Deportivo then signed Luis Fabiano for £25m. Palacios is quality.
  • Options
    Willy Top on a free at start of first season and either vieri or viduka on a free.

Won League one first season and then got mullered in Championship because i got rid of all my players and brought in new ones who didnt gel. This team should get you up and then keep you there if you dont tinker aboout with it too much. Semedo also goes back to his old club for close to a £1m if you play him a bit and put him up for sale.

Oh and Simon Jordan seems to take over every season.

Great guy to get on loan in second season if you get promoted to champ is an AC Milan youngster and goal machine. Zaki is also good on a free but sulks like a 14 year old Goth.

Play 4-4-2

Elliot

Moutou (when back from loan) Sodje Dailly Youga

Bailey Shelvey Racon McKenzie

Vieri/ Viduka Topp
  • Options
    Misfud I always get on a free and bags goals, dosnt always get a high rating but defo scores, also got keenan? In on a free mlc tidy little player alongside racon, there's a welsh guy called williams who is 31 and on a free he's a left winger he has done well for me after comming in on trail.

Best frees;
    Misfud
    Vieri and viduka (if you can afford them)
    Andy williams
    Rudi skakel? Aml ex saints
    Marritoni? Italian gk aged 32 the odd absoulte clanger but average is above 7 after 10 games
    Joe keenan mlc ex chelsea player very useful (normally goes to a higher club)
    Olivier bernad dl very useful
    Lauren dr same as barnard
    Willy topp good back up.

In season 2 there are some bloody awsome free players so keep your wage budget set high in the board room screen.
  • Options
    Woe is me.

I have finally succumbed to the temptation to restore our great team to glory (at least in the realms of fantasy) by getting hold of FM 2010. I have read with interest what has been said on the thread and pose 5 questions of those of you who have already had a go:

1. Should I look to sell Shelvey in the first few weeks for a good price to avoid the board letting him go for a less than satisfactory price
    2. Should I offer ALL the players new contracts so that they will all settle for lower wages (not very realistic that bit, is it)
    3. Are there any coaches that I should hire that are available (this was important in other versions of the game for player development) and should I fire any existing staff?
    4. Which players should I sell straight away (if possible, of course); I don't want bit part players as I can easily replace anyone pony with better players
    5. Who should I snap up straight away?

I await your sage advice so that I can propel CAFC to the promised land (not SE7, I mean the premiership)

ta (and thanks for the hints already posted),

bigstemarra
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Willy topp good back up.
    He sounds like a bellend.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]
    1. Should I look to sell Shelvey in the first few weeks for a good price to avoid the board letting him go for a less than satisfactory price
    2. Should I offer ALL the players new contracts so that they will all settle for lower wages (not very realistic that bit, is it)
    3. Are there any coaches that I should hire that are available (this was important in other versions of the game for player development) and should I fire any existing staff?
    4. Which players should I sell straight away (if possible, of course); I don't want bit part players as I can easily replace anyone pony with better players
    5. Who should I snap up straight away?

1. From my experience, no, try and hang on to him, if you get a first season promotion, both times that I've started as us the club has been taken over and he turns into a beast
    2. Have a go! Sometimes the players will take it
    3. I didn't focus on coaches until after i'd made the Championship, it's hard to recruit in League One and the staff cap imposed by the board normally means that it's either settle with a sub-standard coaching staff and perhaps wait for a couple to be poached or pay compensation when every penny is precious
    4. I'd be open to selling pretty much anyone besides the obvious handful of good players like Shelvey, Bailey, Semedo, Racon that I'd be reluctant to part with. You need the money.
    5. Depending on the patch you are using... explore the loan market, a few quality loans and you'll walk the division. These are the following players that I've taken to Charlton in Season 1 on loan or seen others that have pretty much exploded in League One: Darron Gibson and, Sam Hewson and Richie De Laet from Man U, Zavon Hines from West Ham, Jose Baxter from Everton, Tonge from Stoke, Angel from Tenerife, Harewood from Villa, Tresor Kandol from Leeds is OK, basically the Sky 4's squads are littered with quality u21's that will never play and they'll let you have them free for the whole season ... Frees - pretty much been covered above...
  • Options
    1. Shelvey I like to keep and see how he develops, will vary from game to game.

2. I don't, as you say it doesn't feel realistic.

3. No idea, but there might be some decent ones available without a club. On my game I brought back Chris Powell and Steve Brown (should be at Brighton) as coaches, though I wasn't really checking if I could find better. Strangely, Paul Mortimer was available as a scout.

4. If you're lucky with injuries you probably won't use Spring much I guess. You won't get much, if anything for him though.

5. No idea, I don't tend to buy or even loan many players in the first season, whatever club I am.

I'd recommend downloading the latest patch, and if you prefer, use the data update with it. Some don't like having January signings from the start of the season though (so Charlton have Reid, Mooney, Akpo, but don't in the old data). I think it's worth it though, Wagstaff is improved and should be useful from the bench like he has proved he can be, among many other minor changes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the hints Isaw & Sco.

One thing that really is weird is the fact that, even if you start the season without the january loan signings, many of those available in the summer on frees (such as Camara who I wanted to sign for us) have now found clubs and are not available. That is a bit rubbish IMHO. It's like back engineering!

So, it appears that it is better to start with the jan loan signings in the latest version of the game (fringe benefits such as an improved waggy). Also, do you run it from steam or from the CD, and is there any difference which way you do it....which is better?

I think I'll leave the coaches alone for now until I've got some wedge to sort it properly. How should I set up my training regime? are there any files that can be downloaded for this (I seem to remember that this is a good option to start with as it can be a bit of an arseache sorting all of this out).

And then there's the match tactics (I like this bit and it's probably the most interesting aspect of the game and I've heard it's improved from previous versions).

Plus, who should I sell straight off the bat to raise some much needed cash?
  • Options
    I have the latest patch and Mooney, Sodje, Reid etc are still at their respective clubs??!?
  • Options
    Tactics have improved yes, instead of playing with sliders (though you can still do that if you wish), you select roles, e.g. deep lying forward, poacher, targetman etc for strikers.

Not sure what you mean about the free players, you can either play with the data as it was in September, or now as it was about a month ago.

Training you could have a look on the SI forums, there will no doubt be a few threads with downloadable schedules in there.

Steam you'll get the patches automatically (not that there will be anymore), CD you obviously need the CD in the drive to play. Down to personal preference really. With Steam you also get the FM 09 skin I believe.
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I have the latest patch and Mooney, Sodje, Reid etc are still at their respective clubs??!?
    Have you started a new game and made sure you did with the latest data (you should be able to choose the 10.3.0 database when you click new game).