Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Manager 2010

Comments

• Options
    Dont' sell anyone, if they're good enough to get you money you'll need them first season because they are good. Play the loans and free transfers. Best advice is like ISawLeaburnScore said, just go through the top 6's reserve squads and offer season long loans for everyone. Shouldn't have to pay wages either.

Personally I'd recommend the following that I've had at one point or another in the 3 seasons I've played: Hewson, De Laet, Possebon (bought him for 500k second season and is excellent), Oliver Norwood, James Chester.

Chelsea: Fabio Borini

Liverpool: Mahaylov (Robbie got injured, so was a good loan, developed well so got him on a free at end of season 1).

I had a mass clear out end of 1st season to raise funds, and lower the wage bill. Got 5 million for Racon from some French team, and bought 6-7 players with it, including making a few of the above permanent.

As for training what I do at the start of the season is make regimes for each position, so striker, d midfield, attacking midfield, centre back, full back etc. And just use common sense as to what players in those positions need. Then if a training report comes in and says a group of players trained poorly last month, obv amend as appropriate. That's the boring part, as you said I find the tactics and transfers the most interesting part.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure i have cos Willy Top isnt on the new patch, and i cant find him when i start a new game (database on large)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

Am going to restart with a bigger database. One reason for this is the 'wonderkids' that can be used to harvest large amounts of cash later on. The earlier you can get them in, the more money you make, so getting rid of deadwood is a must.

Am on steam and have no problem with it, but just wanted to see what other's experience of it was.

Considering trying to buy Andrade, Lauren, Soley and am on the hunt for a striker!
  • Options
    Other than Shelvey, has anyone managed to develop any of the other youth players into good players?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Am going to restart with a bigger database. One reason for this is the 'wonderkids' that can be used to harvest large amounts of cash later on. The earlier you can get them in, the more money you make, so getting rid of deadwood is a must.

by far the most successful way to play if you aren't a 'big' club
  • Options
    That's the only way to do it if you aren't minted and it's worked in the past!

I tend to hamstring my progress early by spending available cash on potential that will later bring in the big bucks. That then allows me to buy quality that sends me in a premiership direction.

Usually, my wheeler-dealing makes Harry Redknapp look like an amateur...pretty unrealistic, but it works!

Obviously, if the players are great, then I try to keep them if I can - it's a win-win situation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Other than Shelvey, has anyone managed to develop any of the other youth players into good players?

Erm not exactly, but if you get taken over (as I did)... they normally tend to want to encourage debt re-structuring and organic growth by re-building the academy. The regens coming through for me were out of this world. And you have the benefits of them being high in sell-on value, the fans taking to them and you for bringing through home-grown players and the obvious benefit of not having to recruit externally as much. Obviously though this is a vicious circle... you need success to attract investment but it's hard to get success without it.

As an aside, Michael Woods, Adam Pepper and a whole host of other high PA premier league youngsters are out of contract in Summer 2010.

None of this will help in the immediate start but if you get promotion in season 1, as you should do really, you can really build a comfortable championship side that will only get better.
  • Options
    i normally run a medium database but after looking through this thread think i will re-start with a large database.

with the new patch what forwards shoud i go with Sodje & Burton?
  • Options
    Cheers Vinnie, I'll give those a go.

I am finding it hard to sign anyone at the moment, as I can't even pay a tiny signing on fee without selling someone first!

Don't know whether to sign Vieri or not....Zeefuik will come which is quite a result, because he's pretty good. I'm only playing one up front (playing a DMC with JJ & Bailey in the middle) - filling the left wing slot appears to be the biggest challenge.

I'll look out for those players at the end of the season when we get promoted, Isaw ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everytime i play with Charlton i can never seem to score! what formation you playing Big?
  • Options
    Who are the wonderkids? Never seem to be able to find any, or the touted as the new...... players.
  • Options
    I've gone for 451 and am looking to sign viera.

If I get any cash I will sign Zeefuik too.

First thing I did was send Mooney back as he was costing cash as part of the loan deal. Akpo is free, so he stays. Reid stays because there is a total lack of players in left midfield, and I am currently looking for players that could fulfil that role. You get recommended players by your scouts, but often they turn out to be pony!

At least that is my experience from playing other versions of the game!
  • Options
    If you look for lists with the labels 'wonderkids' then you will find young players with massive talent who develop into worldbeaters...it's what everyone wants!

I only tend to go for those recommended in more than one place, as I've had duds before!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]I only tend to go for those recommended in more than one place, as I've had duds before!

The Random PA's play havoc here... massive difference between 20 or 30 in PA masked by the "-" numbers. Means some players can frequently be steady on one game and class on someone else's.
  • Options
    Always start as charlton and never get anywhere, eventually get sacked and move on. Get bored with new club etc and start new game as charlton and so repeat.

But this time was different, tried something completly different and it worked, promoted and paint pot winners in first season. Sort of a 3-1-1-3-2 formation

------------------Elliot--------------
    Richardson-----Llera------Youga
    ------------------Dailly-------------
    ------------------Racon------------
    Sam------------Shelvey-----Mckenzie
    -------Burton-----henri camara----

Llera/Sodje and Racon/Bailey swop depending on fitness etc
    Camara only player i've signed, ended the season with 51 goals from 44 games
  • Options
    There's now a file out that lets you manage right down to the 11th tier of English football, so you could manage Charlton Athletic Community FC in the Kent leagues. Here, you'll have to be registered on the SI forums though.

Very different to the higher leagues as the players really are terrible, make Blue Square players look like real quality players. Of course the game hasn't really been designed to handle things at a level that low, so it'll never be completely accurate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]There's now a file out that lets you manage right down to the 11th tier of English football, so you could manage Charlton Athletic Community FC in the Kent leagues.Here, you'll have to be registered on the SI forums though.

Very different to the higher leagues as the players really are terrible, make Blue Square players look like real quality players. Of course the game hasn't really been designed to handle things at a level that low, so it'll never be completely accurate.

Are Phoenix Sports on it Sco?...Kent County Prem.
  • Options
    They should be yes, Kent County League is level 9 or 10 I think?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not any real players im guessing tho!
  • Options
    No although you could add them using the editor. If you tick generate key staff when starting a new game, it'll generate players in their 20s, not just 16/17 year olds.
  • Options
    Which lower leagues are there?
  • Options
    Everything on here down to level 10.

There are level 11 leagues, but it gets complicated as some level 11 leagues feed into other level 11 leagues, so are in FM terms level 12 leagues

The Kent leagues are listed on wikipedia as level 11 and 12, but level 11 feeds into the Kent League (level 9), so they are actually included as level 10 and 11 leagues.

East Sussex leagues for example aren't included at level 11 as they feed into the Sussex County Division 3 league, also at level 11. So in reality the East Sussex league is level 12.

It makes little sense, but I guess there must be a reason for it. Hope that makes sense!
  • Options
    My game keeps f*cking up, everytime I start a new game, it doesnt appear with any fixtures for some reason
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]My game keeps f*cking up, everytime I start a new game, it doesnt appear with any fixtures for some reason
    Have you chosen a team to manage?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]My game keeps f*cking up, everytime I start a new game, it doesnt appear with any fixtures for some reason

Yeah, I've tried MK, Charlton, Norwich, Chester, Southampton as new games, and no fixtures come up
  • Options
    Got the latest patch?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Yeah, I've tried MK, Charlton, Norwich, Chester, Southampton as new games, and no fixtures come up
    Still in pre-season?
  • Options
    Try downloading it from steam as it comes ready patched - no probs for me so far.