Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Takeover

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]think there will be a long battle ahead before anything gets done.
    But hopefully the outcome will be good please god.

But i hate all this "lets get the redundancies out of the way". Some of these people are friends.

here, here.
  • Options
    still not clear why the redundancies would affect the takeover, if cash isn't so much of an issue I'd rather get in their beforehand so not to lose any decent staff on their way out of the door.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Gallagher[/cite]Thers a story in the SLP today that says the Varney lead consortium takeover plans are at a crucial stage and that if it goes through Parkinson is a dead man walking.

Also on the CAFC BABES website someone with a good track record for all things going on at The Valley ( same person who broke the news Hudson had signed even though he was still playing for Palace in last years play offs ) claims that a deal is still 'far from done' but that Peter Varney had been is involved in talks with 2 investors from the middle east.

Please let it be true but I find it hard to believe that in this media driven world we live in that something / anything has not leaked or been heard about who these mystery investors are other than the Peter Varney name of course. I am not hopeful.
  • Options
    But peter varney is not an investor.
  • Options
    Sorry Curb-It if I implied that PV was an investor. I of course meant that his name is the only name to have cropped up.
  • Options
    IF (A big IF) there is Any truth in any of these rumours, won't the shareholders recieve a letter first like the last balls-up ?
  • Options
    PHIL Parkinson will be axed as Charlton boss if a takeover group led by former chief executive Peter Varney is successful in buying the club.

The South London Press has been told by sources at The Valley that one of the first moves that Varney’s group would make if they are able to clinch a deal would be to sack Parkinson.

But if their buyout attempts fail then it is understood that powerful voices on the existing board want to hand Parkinson the chance to try and lead the relegated Addicks back into the Championship at the first attempt.

We exclusively revealed on April 24 that Varney, who left Charlton 11 months ago, was spearheading a group of wealthy businessmen who are keen to take control at Charlton, and talks are at a crucial stage.

It has now become clear that their plans for the future do not include Parkinson - who is waiting for news on his own future.

My gut feeling was that PP will stay if the current board stay in power and that, in my opinion is a really short sighted decision.....the board needs a shake up Im afraid as complacency has lead us down the road to the third division. We can only wait and see if there is anything in this...lets just keep our fingers crossed as we need to stop the rot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]IF (A big IF) there is Any truth in any of these rumours, won't the shareholders recieve a letter first like the last balls-up ?[/quot

Yep.

The shareholders have to consulted and give their approval. However a consortium could meet with the board and make an offer which the board "recommends" and then it'll go to an EGM for a formal vote.

Last time wasn't really a balls-up, the Board simply released a formal statement that Zabeel has requested that they could take a look at the books and that an offer may or may not happen, which is a legal requirement. At the time our form was piss-poor and many people saw ££ signs and thought it was a done deal before any meaningful discussions or due dilligence had been conducted.
  • Options
    The redundancies dont affect the takeover, the way I was told it, is that its more to do with not hurting the sensibilities of those still at the club being made redundant, anymore than they have been already obviously, (ie, not rubbing their noses in it).
  • Options
    "Charlton had to sell off their training ground and other assets to friendly directors"

As opposed to hostile ones then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon the board are split on PP. Chappel would keep him and Murray wouldn't. But that is pure guess work.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    more like the existing board have less money.. and or the new ones have a specific chappy in mind for the job?
  • Options
    With respect to Chizz who posted on another thread. I think this is relevent.

Posted By: Chizz
    Found this

Eden Hazard is one of a number of young players being targeted by a group of London-based football investors.

The group, Lansdowne Investments, thought to be headed by former Charlton Athletic Chief Executive Peter Varney, has launched a fund to "acquire the services of and rights to footballers with significant potential". Lansdowne's spokesman explained: "we are looking to sign agreements with a number of footballers in the UK and abroad to give them the opportunity to widen their experience by playing for different clubs. As their experience and expertise grows, we will allow them to be acquired on a mpore permanent basis by talent-hungry, leading clubs, such as those who traditionally find themselves in the latter stages of the UEFA Champions League; FIFA World Cup and other tournaments".

The investment portfolio is not limited to footballers, but may also include the risky world of football club investment as well. "We may look at the opportunity to become involved as equity holders of one or more football clubs. To that end we are in discussion with a number of clubs. We believe the mix of talent available to us could be used to benefit clubs currently outside the top echelons". When asked which clubs were involved, the spokesman declined to comment.

Lansdowne was launched as a shell vehicle in 2008 by a number of football-experienced investors and is understood to have the backing and guidance of at least one former Premiership manager.

Hazard's agent was not available for comment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]I reckon the board are split on PP. Chappel would keep him and Murray wouldn't. But that is pure guess work.

over heard a convo on the train this morning 2 blokes talking charlton in suits.. Gist of convo was Murray likes Phil and wants to give him his backing but knows 12,000 odd want him gone so is stuck on what to do, follow his instinct piss off loads of people or do the popular thing and sack him..
  • Options
    Murray does like PP and his team. But that doesn't mean he's the right manager.
  • Options
    all cash the current mob have should be put into the playing staff in my view. Parky is satisfactory and cd get us up. If I were them and had enough money to bin him and finance a new guy, that would be a different ball game..
  • Options
    Who says Murray is backing Parky.......pure speculation that one!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Who says Murray is backing Parky.......pure speculation that one!!

but who says he isn't ?
  • Options
    Well either Murray or Chappell must be surely !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Well either Murray or Chappell must be surely !

Or both of them...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Well either Murray or Chappell must be surely !

Or both of them...

or neither of them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Or both of them...

or neither of them.

If neither were backing him, he'd be out of a job by now.
  • Options
    RM is very much a PP fan......DC I couldnt tell one way or the other last time we met
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]RM is very much a PP fan......DC I couldnt tell one way or the other last time we met

Apart from Richard Murray and Goonerhater, how many other PP fans are there .... ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]RM is very much a PP fan......DC I couldnt tell one way or the other last time we met

Apart from Richard Murray and Goonerhater, how many other PP fans are there .... ?

Where on earth is this RM is a PP fan coming from?
  • Options
    Where on earth is this RM is a PP fan coming from?

He told me he was last week
  • Options
    Tel is a Fans Forum member ..... ?
  • Options
    Last FF meeting that RM attended....he surely was a singing his praises.....but there again that was a couple of months ago......
  • Options
    is there even a takeover being put to the board just have a nasty feeling there is nowt to this at all and just a bit of a smoke screen, it said earlier on here varneys group was looking at investing in and not buying a club so wouldnt make much of a difference to what we have now... think we may be barking up the wrong tree here sadly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]is there even a takeover being put to the board just have a nasty feeling there is nowt to this at all and just a bit of a smoke screen, it said earlier on here varneys group was looking at investing in and not buying a club so wouldnt make much of a difference to what we have now... think we may be barking up the wrong tree here sadly.

Hope you are wrong adam. Have you seen the Lansdowne Investments peice above. Make you wonder !
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!