Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yet another kid mauled by dog

Comments

• Options
    So in summary, it's down to the owners not the dogs, The irresponsible owners are chavs, who have been bred by other chavs. So why does the government keep on encouraging them to have kids by giving them more and more benefits, credits, maternity/paternity leave etc for knocking out yet more chavs?

Just wondering...
  • Options
    Easy... Kill the dog, kill the owner if hes 16-28 yo scouser or he's wearing a baseball cap.

Simples
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Swimming pools kill more children than guns do in the US. I'd imagine dogs are no more dangerous than guns.

The problem is the adults. Either the adults in charge of the dog or the guardian/parent of the child.[/quote]

So you are telling me that the pools are used to kill children either accidently or on purpose?

Your argument might (though probably not) carry some weight if there was a spate of mass killings by drowning in pools, but I do not think that there is any evidence of this. Do thugs threaten or intimidate their victims with little blow up paddling pools? Or do pools accidently kill someone whilst they are being cleaned?

No? I thought not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Any dog no matter how well trained and loved can snap and attack a child.
    Whether it's a Staff,Rottweiller,Labradoor or Poodle.
    Therefore any parent who leaves a child in a room with ANY dog doesnt love their child and should be sterilised.
    Some people may consider that opinion a bit harsh though....

Not sure you can question certain parents love for their child if you dont know anything about the family mate. I dont think its as black and white as "you leave your child alone with a dog there for you dont love your child" if the dog has been in the family for years they will obviouly trust it as will the child i see your point just feel people might get a bit upset if you question their love for their children can be a bit of a touchy subject with some people.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Swimming pools kill more children than guns do in the US. I'd imagine dogs are no more dangerous than guns.

The problem is the adults. Either the adults in charge of the dog or the guardian/parent of the child.[/quote]

I seriously doubt that your claim is true.

Yes, there are very likely a high number of pool drownings in a country of 300 million but there are way, way more guns that swimming pools in the US!

Even the NRA acknowledges that there are very likely over 200 million weapons, both legal and illegal in the US, which makes any kind of gun ownership ban a total waste of time.

What's more the statistics on child related gun deaths are significantly inflated by the very large number of under-18 "Gang Bangers" who get shot and killed every year.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You can't get rid of dogs. Have you not seen Planet of The Apes!??
  • Options
    just shoot the owners, of dogs and kids! %<()
  • Options

Dog Attack

How many more kids have to be mauled and killed before ownership of dangerous breeds of dogs is made illegal and every single such dog in the coumtry is put down? If I obtained a license I believe I could own a gun. But I am sure it is against the law to walk around the streets with it. Ownership of such dogs is like carrying a lethal weapon in public and there is absolutely no justification for it.

Resurected this and Reds original post in the light of the tragic and frightening events yesterday in Manchester to the poor 14 year old girl Jade Anderson. RIP Jade.
    Surely it's about time that this problem is seriously looked at. I am a dog owner and am disgusted by the attitude of some owners in relation to the way they care and choose the breeds. Something has to be done.

• Options

Dog Attack

How many more kids have to be mauled and killed before ownership of dangerous breeds of dogs is made illegal and every single such dog in the coumtry is put down? If I obtained a license I believe I could own a gun. But I am sure it is against the law to walk around the streets with it. Ownership of such dogs is like carrying a lethal weapon in public and there is absolutely no justification for it.

Resurected this and Reds original post in the light of the tragic and frightening events yesterday in Manchester to the poor 14 year old girl Jade Anderson. RIP Jade.
    Surely it's about time that this problem is seriously looked at. I am a dog owner and am disgusted by the attitude of some owners in relation to the way they care and choose the breeds. Something has to be done.

Dogs need to be licensed and chipped with the chip identified by the licence. Cost should be high but reasonable. Owners should be at risk of high penalties of their dogs are out of control, with persistence being threatened with jail time. Not having a licence should be accompanied by high fines - at least multiple 5 figures
  • Options
    If you know anything about this particualr case then as usual it's down to the owners. If you keep any animal, especially bigger dogs, confined in a small space together then of coruse they're going to get agitated and angry. All down to the people responsible for the dogs. Staffs especially are not violent dogs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dog Attack

I totally agree. Owning a pit bull or similar breed is nothing more than a power trip for the owner.
  • Options
    Four dogs, believed to be two bull mastiffs and two Staffordshire bull terriers, were shot by police marksmen.

The sad thing is that probably only 1 dog lost it, the rest would join in as they are pack animals.
    These dogs were bread for aggression, will never remove this.
    It's a crazy number of dogs to own and control. If it's true that the girl (a stranger) was left in the house alone with this p[ack, then I would like to see the family prosecuted.
  • Options

If you know anything about this particualr case then as usual it's down to the owners. If you keep any animal, especially bigger dogs, confined in a small space together then of coruse they're going to get agitated and angry. All down to the people responsible for the dogs. Staffs especially are not violent dogs.

It's always the owners of course but what can we do about it rather than saying what you said. It can't be allowed to continue.
  • Options
    I have noticed the new dog in fashion is the husky seem a fair few aggressive in the local parks in Ireland they have attacked a few people , its not the dog it's the owner and the fact that they are more likely to have a certain dog
  • Options
    Staffs and dogs that are similar are the new Chavs accessory . Bring back Burberry instead.
  • Options
    My mum is a ex teacher she has one
  • Options

I agree, Staffs can be lovely dogs, the trouble is the rep they have, so the knuckle draggers get them for fighting. Two separate friends and family have Staffs and they are soft as.
    If you treat a dog with love and kindness then that is how they will behave, if you kick the shit out of it every day, guess what?
  • Options
    Google husky dog attacks , now they are a fashion accessory suddenly they are involved in more attacks .
  • Options
    I think it's time to reintroduce dog licences and have the owners of potential dangerous dogs properly vetted (vetted.... Take it as whatever meaning pleases you the most ). Too many people these days are using their dogs to intimidate people. However I must say that all Jack Russells are loud snappy little sods and should be banned also.
  • Options
    nolly said:

My mum is a ex teacher she has one

Chav
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol
  • Options
    Huskies shouldn't be allowed as pets. They're only semi-domesticated at best
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Bedsaddick">Staffs and dogs that are similar are the new Chavs accessory . Bring back Burberry instead.</blockquote>
    It is a problem. So much so that the RSPCA now do free microchipping for Staffs, not that that helps a great deal. We really should bring in a dog licence, I think Ireland have one or similar.

I have a staffie and though he is a massive pain in the arse, has gone through God knows how many beds and pillows, and will eat literally anything from soap to cat poo, he is harmless. He's great around cats, babies and the odd bit of wildlife, but obviously he's been brought up in a very different fashion to those involved in the killing of that poor girl yesterday. Their owners should be prosecuted and banned from having pets for life, at the very, very minimum.
  • Options
    To many people on here playing god!!! I've got a staff, she is well behaved and I would leave her with anyone. I'm not a knuckle dragger, She wasn't bred for violence and I certainly don't need her to make me harder. If you have never owned this breed of dog then what gives you the right to say I shouldn't have one??? You are all pathetic, I've had staffs since I was 14 and never has one hurt anyone. So yeah lets just destroy a lovely breed of dog just to please a few poncey cat owners
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Calm down! ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Oops

• Options
    uncle said:

To many people on here playing god!!! I've got a staff, she is well behaved and I would leave her with anyone. I'm not a knuckle dragger, She wasn't bred for violence and I certainly don't need her to make me harder. If you have never owned this breed of dog then what gives you the right to say I shouldn't have one??? You are all pathetic, I've had staffs since I was 14 and never has one hurt anyone. So yeah lets just destroy a lovely breed of dog just to please a few poncey cat owners

No, we're not all pathetic Uncle. Some of us own neither cats nor dogs.

It's all about understanding how a dog's mind works, which you obviously do. Most don't unfortunately and don't take the time or trouble too, and until they do this will repeat itself time and again.

• Options
    uncle said:

No offence but thats a big issue/problem. Dogs are pack animals and anyone isn't in the pack, not within a few hours anyway. This is especially true of your home. The dog will be on edge and the strangest thing can set them off.
    To be honest though, one staff is unlikely to kill a teenager or older.

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Kap10 said:

Dog Attack

Dogs need to be licensed and chipped with the chip identified by the licence. Cost should be high but reasonable. Owners should be at risk of high penalties of their dogs are out of control, with persistence being threatened with jail time. Not having a licence should be accompanied by high fines - at least multiple 5 figures
    Kap.

Lots of good points well raised, can I ask you the same questions I asked a reputable breeder when suggested returning to the Dog Licence?

So I have to buy a licence for my dogs (Lets make up a figure of £500 for life) I decide I'm not buying one because,
    Skint/cant be bothered/etc.

Who polices it?
    Is it not an offence to drive a car without a licence and they cant catch up with those.

I have no idea what the solution is, but if people didnt buy/swop from freeads, gumtree, loot, shop windows etc, that would certainly help. These people are driven by greed and we by buying from from them are endorsing it. They do no health checks, no nothing...........
    If you turn up to see a puppy and cant see at least Mum and Dad then turn around a walk away.
    Incidently, chipping and tattooing is a must and both mine are, but how do police it if someone decides not too?

• Options
    If you live where I live in Canada, you have to license dogs (£30 per year) you cant allow dogs to run off leash unless they are in designated areas. Pretty easy for the Bylaw Officers to check your license (which is mandatory to attach to the animals collar in the form of a tag) as your dog will be with you whenever you are out.

Cant see why this system wouldn't work in the UK - although not sure if there is such a thing as Bylaw Officers - we have them here & they act as a kind of non-essential police service (handing out fines for parking offences, shutting down noisy parties, policing animal issues etc etc)

Most people have dogs (we don't) - sometimes i think they are an insurance policy against bear attacks for the owners! We also had a dog eaten by a cougar last week - it was off leash & the cougar enjoyed a tasty lunch..

http://www.rmoutlook.com/article/20130321/RMO0801/303219991/-1/rmo0801/cougar-attacks-off-leash-dog

ps - woe betide you if you get stopped by the police & you don't have your driving license on you in your car - huge fine.