Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yet another kid mauled by dog

Comments

• Options

Dog Attack

How many more kids have to be mauled and killed before ownership of dangerous breeds of dogs is made illegal and every single such dog in the coumtry is put down? If I obtained a license I believe I could own a gun. But I am sure it is against the law to walk around the streets with it. Ownership of such dogs is like carrying a lethal weapon in public and there is absolutely no justification for it.

I totally agree. Owning a pit bull or similar breed is nothing more than a power trip for the owner.
    I met a 90 year old lady at German Shepherd show last year with a Staff, she was in her electric wheel chair with her Staff tied to the arm rest. She had her photo taken with Bailey and said "I want a German Shepherd like him, when I get older and more responsible" but she definately didnt look like she was on a power trip (except the chair she was in) ;)

• Options
    The opening poster to this thread is saying make the breed illegal, well I'm sorry but I will calm down when everyone else does. When people stop spurting shit like that. Everyone can come here have their little rant about dangerous dogs.... Well I'm here to defend dog's. No dog is dangerous a birth but any can be in the wrong hands... So what we just destroy all dogs? It's absolutely absurd to starting shouting we should do this or that without even thinking what you are saying. Who decides what's dangerous? Oh the opening poster I guess.
  • Options
    I don't know what the answer is but I am sure that the general point about the owner being the problem is correct. When it comes to Staffs, haven' t the RSPCA been running an ad campaign trying to change people's perceptions of the breed? And they, or another respected organization published some research showing that Staffs were actually amongst the best breeds to have around children- with of course the proviso that the individual dog has to be properly trained and cared for. That applies to a Labrador too. Ours is of course the most wonderful friendly dog in the world, but we have met some decidedly grumpy ones that I would not leave unsupervised near kids

And now I have to go, somebody is very insistent that it is time for a walk...
  • Options
    I think Oakster makes some good points. Make it illegal to sell a dog without it already being licenced by the new owner. Make it illegal to own a dog without a licence with a huge penalty for failing to comply with either. Make it illegal to allow a dog off a leish except in specified areas. Make it illegal to allow a dog to foul without clearing it up. Again big fines for both for failing to comply. Employ wardens to police this. If this style of pet ownership works in Canada then it can work here.
  • Options
    "I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu.
  • Options
    i have strong views in favour of the canadian system ..the point that hasnt been made is that an out of control big dog/agressive breed has the potential do a lot more harm than an out of control poodle .
    Despite what is said if you leave any size terrier breed alone with a little kid you are asking for it .Any Dog can turn and of course they gain confidence in numbers .Dont leave a baby in a cot for instance alone with a dog thats from a potentially agressive breed id go so far as including a jack russell
  • Options

I think Oakster makes some good points. Make it illegal to sell a dog without it already being licenced by the new owner. Make it illegal to own a dog without a licence with a huge penalty for failing to comply with either. Make it illegal to allow a dog off a leish except in specified areas. Make it illegal to allow a dog to foul without clearing it up. Again big fines for both for failing to comply. Employ wardens to police this. If this style of pet ownership works in Canada then it can work here.

Too late, how will you enforce this law, and if you did, how many dogs would be destroyed because people wouldn't or couldn't buy the licence?
    A lot of dogs would be just kicked out on the street!
  • Options
    edited March 2013

it might be that the laws where I Iive are very severe because we have so much wildlife around us - but I am pretty sure it's mandatory to license your dog everywhere in Canada - doesn't stop dog attacks though they still seem to be common news over here

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/09/woman-rushed-to-calgary-hospital-after-vicious-dog-attack
  • Options
    Why would one person want to keep 5 dangerous (presumably) dogs in one small house.
    The whole thing sounds suspect to me. Feel really sad for the young victims family. RIP!
  • Options

uncle said:

To many people on here playing god!!! I've got a staff, she is well behaved and I would leave her with anyone. I'm not a knuckle dragger, She wasn't bred for violence and I certainly don't need her to make me harder. If you have never owned this breed of dog then what gives you the right to say I shouldn't have one??? You are all pathetic, I've had staffs since I was 14 and never has one hurt anyone. So yeah lets just destroy a lovely breed of dog just to please a few poncey cat owners

No offence but thats a big issue/problem. Dogs are pack animals and anyone isn't in the pack, not within a few hours anyway. This is especially true of your home. The dog will be on edge and the strangest thing can set them off.
    To be honest though, one staff is unlikely to kill a teenager or older.

Feel free to visit my house anytime and long as you come in through the door and not the window, my dogs are taught that you are above them in the pack, sure they will smell and bark at you but will not be allowed into the same room as you until they behave and that boils down to one thing, training and accepting the responsibility that goes with having a dog. As for my dogs being on edge when we have visitors, perhaps people that have visited my home could comment but I've never noticed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Too late, how will you enforce this law, and if you did, how many dogs would be destroyed because people wouldn't or couldn't buy the licence?
    I don't think it's good enough to say "it won't work" we must do something. Lolwray makes the point that a big dog can potentially do more damage than a small one. What about licensing all dogs over 5 kg. of course a small dog can bite but under normal circumstances I doubt it could kill like a big breed.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I got attacked by two dogs when i was a kid. had to jump over a fence to get away from them. since then i've never been to keen on dogs.

thought i'll just share that..
  • Options
    nolly said:

I have noticed the new dog in fashion is the husky seem a fair few aggressive in the local parks in Ireland they have attacked a few people , its not the dog it's the owner and the fact that they are more likely to have a certain dog

I have watched a guy near us for years, he jogs with 3 of them hitched up to a harness. He runs over 70 miles a week with those dogs and say's that isnt always enough!!
    Anybody that gets one and thinks that 5 minutes around the block will do is very much mistaken.

• Options
    lolwray said:

i have strong views in favour of the canadian system ..the point that hasnt been made is that an out of control big dog/agressive breed has the potential do a lot more harm than an out of control poodle .
    Despite what is said if you leave any size terrier breed alone with a little kid you are asking for it .Any Dog can turn and of course they gain confidence in numbers .Dont leave a baby in a cot for instance alone with a dog thats from a potentially agressive breed id go so far as including a jack russell

I'm guessing a poodle could rip a babies face to pieces in no time if it was angry enough, so why just terrier breeds?

• Options

I got attacked by two dogs when i was a kid. had to jump over a fence to get away from them. since then i've never been to keen on dogs.

thought i'll just share that..

Baileys here if you want to try and address those fears. ;)

• Options
    Greenie said:

dog wardens/by-law officers - if people won't or can't buy a cheap license then they shouldn't be keeping a dog - that's the mentality over here anyway

the other thing i like over here are the big fines for allowing your dog to crap anywhere without clearing it up

there are a lot of penalties for not obeying the rules & we have a lot of By-law officers patrolling the town, they can declare your dog a "vicious dog" if it misbehaves or is a designated "dangerous dog breed" - the dog must then be licensed as such

Failure to ensure that a collar and tag are worn $ 25
    Dog Threaten or chase any person, Domestic Animal $ 250.0
    or Wildlife
    Dog Bite any Domestic Animal, Feral Animal or Wildlife $ 250.00
    Dog Bite any person $ 750.00
    Failure to remove feces immediately $ 300.00
    Dog Threaten any person, Domestic Animal or Wildlife in $ 250.00
    an off-leash area
    Dog Bite another dog in an off-leash area $ 250.00
    Dog Bite a person in an off-leash area $ 750.00
    Fail to comply with Nuisance Dog provisions $ 250.00
    Fail to confine Vicious Dog outdoors, on Owners property in secure enclosure $ 500.00
    Fail to keep a Vicious Dog outdoors, on Owners property, $ 500.00
    Muzzled and leashed with person over 18 years old
    Fail to keep Vicious Dog, when off the Owners property muzzled $ 500.00
    Fail to keep Vicious Dog, when off the Owners property, on a Permitted Leash$ 500.00
    Fail to keep Vicious Dog, when off the Owners property, under the control of a person over the age of 18 years$ 500.00
    Vicious Dog Threaten or chase any person, Domestic Animal or Wildlife$ 750.00
    Vicious Dog Bite any Domestic Animal, Feral Animal or Wildlife$ 750.00
    Vicious Dog Bite any Person $ 1000.00
    Vicious Dog cause damage to public or private property $ 500.00
    Vicious Dog at Large $ 500.00
    Vicious Dog in an off leash area $ 500.00
    Fail to licence Dog as a Vicious Dog $ 500.00
  • Options
    While walking one of my staffs the once, one of them poncey Jack Russell's tried to attack him... Should they be killed?

Of course NO dog is 100% safe but with the right guidance etc a pit bull or a jack russell could make the greatest pet on earth.
  • Options
    "I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu.
    T.C.E said:

uncle said:

To many people on here playing god!!! I've got a staff, she is well behaved and I would leave her with anyone. I'm not a knuckle dragger, She wasn't bred for violence and I certainly don't need her to make me harder. If you have never owned this breed of dog then what gives you the right to say I shouldn't have one??? You are all pathetic, I've had staffs since I was 14 and never has one hurt anyone. So yeah lets just destroy a lovely breed of dog just to please a few poncey cat owners

No offence but thats a big issue/problem. Dogs are pack animals and anyone isn't in the pack, not within a few hours anyway. This is especially true of your home. The dog will be on edge and the strangest thing can set them off.
    To be honest though, one staff is unlikely to kill a teenager or older.

Feel free to visit my house anytime and long as you come in through the door and not the window, my dogs are taught that you are above them in the pack, sure they will smell and bark at you but will not be allowed into the same room as you until they behave and that boils down to one thing, training and accepting the responsibility that goes with having a dog. As for my dogs being on edge when we have visitors, perhaps people that have visited my home could comment but I've never noticed it.
    TCE we know what a great job you do with yours and how nice they are. But at the end of the day they are animals and know human truely understands them. They will be on edge because they defend their territory. A stranger is always a threat.
    Look at Police dogs, amazing training, tough selection process but there have been examples where they have turned for no obvious reason.
    At the end of the day, dogs are animals and have aggression within them. Sometimes illness can cause then to become aggresive, but all humans should be prepared for this and act accordingly. They are unpredictable.

• Options
    Oakster said:

Greenie said:

I think Oakster makes some good points. Make it illegal to sell a dog without it already
    being licenced by the new owner. Make it illegal to own a dog without a licence with a huge penalty for failing to comply with either. Make it illegal to allow a dog off a leish except in specified areas. Make it illegal to allow a dog to foul without clearing it up. Again big fines for both for failing to comply. Employ wardens to police this. If this style of pet ownership works in Canada then it can work here.

dog wardens/by-law officers - if people won't or can't buy a cheap license then they shouldn't be keeping a dog - that's the mentality over here anyway

the other thing i like over here are the big fines for allowing your dog to crap anywhere without clearing it up

there are a lot of penalties for not obeying the rules & we have a lot of By-law officers patrolling the town, they can declare your dog a "vicious dog" if it misbehaves or is a designated "dangerous dog breed" - the dog must then be licensed as such

or Wildlife
    an off-leash area
    Fail to confine Vicious Dog outdoors, on Owners property in secure enclosure $ 500.00
    Fail to keep Vicious Dog, when off the Owners property, on a Permitted Leash$ 500.00
    Fail to keep Vicious Dog, when off the Owners property, under the control of a person over the age of 18 years$ 500.00
    Wow. :)

• Options
    edited March 2013
    T.C.E said:

Oakster said:

Greenie said:

I think Oakster makes some good points. Make it illegal to sell a dog without it already
    being licenced by the new owner. Make it illegal to own a dog without a licence with a huge penalty for failing to comply with either. Make it illegal to allow a dog off a leish except in specified areas. Make it illegal to allow a dog to foul without clearing it up. Again big fines for both for failing to comply. Employ wardens to police this. If this style of pet ownership works in Canada then it can work here.

or Wildlife
    an off-leash area

This is the way forward but our politicians are not going to push through anything that would lose them one single vote. I am sure we will continue to see dangerous dogs and even more dangerous owners for years to come.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013
    T.C.E said:

Oakster said:

blah blah blah...

Really not in your interest to have your dog designated as a "vicious dog" !! Although (50) might deter burglars!

. The Owner of a Vicious Dog shall:

(a) notify the Bylaw Services Manager should the Dog be sold, gifted, or transferred to
    another person or die; and
    (b) remain liable for the actions of the Dog until formal notification of sale, gift or transfer is
    given to the Bylaw Services Manager.

45. The Owner of a Vicious Dog shall ensure that when such Vicious Dog is on the Owner’s
    Private Property the Vicious Dog is either:
    (a) confined indoors; or
    (b) if outdoors:
    (i) confined within a secure enclosure pursuant to Section 46 of this Bylaw; or
    (ii) securely Muzzled and under the control of a person over the age of eighteen (18)
    years by means of a Permitted Leash.

46. The Owner of a Vicious Dog shall ensure the secure enclosure:
    (a) has secure sides and a secure top, and if it has no bottom secured to the sides, the sides
    must be embedded in the ground to a minimum depth of thirty (30) centimeters;
    (b) provides the Vicious Dog with shelter from the elements;
    (c) has minimum dimensions of one and one-half (1.5) meters by three (3) meters and a
    minimum of one and one-half (1.5) meters in height; and
    is not located within one (1) meter of the property line or within five (5) meters of a
    neighbouring dwelling unit

47. The Owner of a Vicious Dog shall ensure when such Vicious Dog is not on the Owner’s
    Private Property, the Vicious Dog is securely:
    (a) Muzzled;
    (b) on a Permitted Leash; and
    (c) is under the control of a person over the age of eighteen (18) years.

48. An Owner of a Vicious Dog must ensure that such Vicious Dog, at no time:
    (a) Threaten or chase any person, Domestic Animal, Feral Animal or Wildlife;
    (b) Bite any Domestic Animal, Feral Animal or Wildlife;
    (c) Bite any person;
    (d) cause damage to public or private property; or
    (e) is At Large.

49. An Owner of a Vicious Dog must ensure that it does not enter on to or remain on public
    property where Dogs are permitted off-leash.

50. The Bylaw Services Manager may require the Owner of a Vicious Dog to post a sign in a
    format approved by the Bylaw Services Manager, at each entrance to his property stating
    "Vicious Dog".
  • Options
    Putting a muzzle on a dog is just cruel
  • Options

T.C.E said:

Oakster said:

Greenie said:

or Wildlife
    an off-leash area

This is the way forward but our politicians are not going to push through anything that would lose them one single vote. I am sure we will continue to see dangerous dogs and even more dangerous owners for years to come.

It was'nt ridiculing it, like you I'd love to see it and by way of a comparison. I have posted what happens if you and your dog step out of line in Greenwich ;)

Enforcing Dog Control Orders

The whole of the London Borough of Greenwich is subject to Dog Control Orders. Dog control officers are trained and authorised to serve on-the-spot fines and give evidence in court if necessary.
    If you breach a Dog Control Order, you could be:
    Issued with a fixed-penalty notice (also known as on-the-spot fine) of £75
    prosecuted at a magistrates' court, where you can be fined up to £1,000, plus court costs.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

Kap10 said:

Dog Attack

How many more kids have to be mauled and killed before ownership of dangerous breeds of dogs is made illegal and every single such dog in the coumtry is put down? If I obtained a license I believe I could own a gun. But I am sure it is against the law to walk around the streets with it. Ownership of such dogs is like carrying a lethal weapon in public and there is absolutely no justification for it.

Resurected this and Reds original post in the light of the tragic and frightening events yesterday in Manchester to the poor 14 year old girl Jade Anderson. RIP Jade.
    Surely it's about time that this problem is seriously looked at. I am a dog owner and am disgusted by the attitude of some owners in relation to the way they care and choose the breeds. Something has to be done.

Dogs need to be licensed and chipped with the chip identified by the licence. Cost should be high but reasonable. Owners should be at risk of high penalties of their dogs are out of control, with persistence being threatened with jail time. Not having a licence should be accompanied by high fines - at least multiple 5 figures
    Kap.

Lots of good points well raised, can I ask you the same questions I asked a reputable breeder when suggested returning to the Dog Licence?

So I have to buy a licence for my dogs (Lets make up a figure of £500 for life) I decide I'm not buying one because,
    Skint/cant be bothered/etc.

Who polices it?
    Is it not an offence to drive a car without a licence and they cant catch up with those.

I have no idea what the solution is, but if people didnt buy/swop from freeads, gumtree, loot, shop windows etc, that would certainly help. These people are driven by greed and we by buying from from them are endorsing it. They do no health checks, no nothing...........
    If you turn up to see a puppy and cant see at least Mum and Dad then turn around a walk away.
    Incidently, chipping and tattooing is a must and both mine are, but how do police it if someone decides not too?
    Equally good point and one that actually has wider resonance in society. there are many offenses which could be policed if the revenue that they raise through licence fees, fines etc, went on policing the offence. However, i am not so naive as to believe that policing dogs would be any different. A large number of potential dog owners would be put off by a recurring licence fee set at a reasonable, not prohibitive level, if they are not willing to pay that then they are not going to be "worthy" owners. Of course there will also be those that don't buy the licence and they will probably be the worst perpetrators.

No dog is safe 100%, but responsible owners take care, train their dogs and also avoid situations which could possibly cause problems. I have had until 3 years ago border collies for 24 years. Lovely dogs, trust them as much as I could, but would never leave them alone with the children when they were little and kept them under strict control if they were out, even off lead in the park. The only time my kids were ever bitten was by my in laws jack russell, because they were allowed to chase the dogs into a tight corner.

• Options
    Imagine if there was some other type of animal we kept in our houses that on a fairly regular basis killed people because deep down their DNA tells them to do that and despite our attempts to domesticate it the animal sometimes gets fked off and destroys other life - not to eat it I add, just to kill it.

Who'd put up with that ?

• Options
    PL54 said:

Imagine if there was some other type of animal we kept in our houses that on a fairly regular basis killed people because deep down their DNA tells them to do that and despite our attempts to domesticate it the animal sometimes gets fked off and destroys other life - not to eat it I add, just to kill it.

Who'd put up with that ?

anyone married to a Millwall fan :)
  • Options
    I think six people have died from dog attacks since 2007 in the uk six to many of course
  • Options
    Regular and Frequent are different.
  • Options
    Not a fan of dogs or cats.
  • Options
    In the year to March 2011, there were 6097 hospitalisations in the UK due to dog bites, a rise of 94% from ten years earlier.