Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THE 'OTHER' TAKEOVER THREAD (FOR PROPER CHARLTON)

Comments

• Que sera sera !
  • edited August 2009
    ,.!
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Still watching Charlotte Jackson on SSN............
    She'd ave it
  • Am back actually not really as I m down my local having an ipa. Would make sense moneywise to announce the takeover after the window closes to nab players on the cheap
  • Surely the takeover has to be put to shareholders anyway before it can go through. Not sure how many small shareholders there are but remember someone quoting 21% on here, which means the buyer would need all the directors shares plus at least half the others to get to the 90% threshhold which would permit them to acquire ALL the shares in the club. So rumours of it happening but not being announced for three weeks seem a little far-fetched, even if it is shares in the club not the plc which are involved.
  • [cite]Posted By: jollyrobin[/cite]I know we all gave up hope. But I overheard a conversation between two blokes in the Flying Boat in Dartford, one of which claimed his father was a close friend of Peter Varney.

Now don't go mental that it seems unlikely, I don't believe it myself to be honest, but he was adamant that the takeover is done but won't be announced until after the transfer window has closed because it is backed by a wealthy investor who isn't willing to through ridiculous amounts of money into buying players.

I don't believe it, but it's a strand of hope up until the end of August.

Surely if he doesn't want to throw money into buying players he doesn't have to. We clearly need a few players and they don't have to be expensive ones either.
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]Would make sense moneywise to announce the takeover after the window closes to nab players on the cheap
    But we won't be able to get anything other than loans and frees once the window has closed?
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]But we won't be able to get anything other than loans and frees once the window has closed?

Everyone thinks we're skint, so if we now buy players with the money from the takeover, we are in a better position to barter, meaning the new owner saves some dosh.

PS. I dont know anything, just a possibility.
  • Well, I hope if that is his plan that he (or she, let's not be sexist comrades ) bleeding well gets on with it!

Parky is already saying we have a threadbare squad. As i've said elsewhere - 24 teams in the league means lots of games....
  • [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]Surely the takeover has to be put to shareholders anyway before it can go through. Not sure how many small shareholders there are but remember someone quoting 21% on here, which means the buyer would need all the directors shares plus at least half the others to get to the 90% threshhold which would permit them to acquire ALL the shares in the club. So rumours of it happening but not being announced for three weeks seem a little far-fetched, even if it is shares in the club not the plc which are involved.
    If a director or directors wish to sell their shares to another party (and with it the controlling interest in the club) it's nothing to do with the other shareholders. I think you're assuming that the mystery buyer (if there is one, which I have grave suspicions about) would want or need 100% of the shares. I don't think they would. Many owners don't actually have more than 90% of the shares. It might be something they'd do in the future (once they get to 90 they can buy the rest at any point, as you say, but can't see why that would be a priority, compared to buying or keeping players or reducing debts).
  • [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]I'm prepared to look very, very silly.

That's handy.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]But we won't be able to get anything other than loans and frees once the window has closed?

Everyone thinks we're skint, so if we now buy players with the money from the takeover, we are in a better position to barter, meaning the new owner saves some dosh.

PS. I dont know anything, just a possibility.

Isn't that fraud?

It doesn't sound feasible to me, being an PLC if we were in the midst of a takeover then surely it's required to be public knowledge if we so wished it to be, or is that no the case?

I knew Business Studies wasn't was as much bollocks as they made it out to be.
  • What time's the press conference?
  • #917 - Come on 1000 by 10pm??
  • go on then.........
  • Right, that's my lot with this thread. I'm going on holiday tomorrow for three weeks and not going anywhere near a computer or mobile phone. If this takeover hasn't happened by the time I come back then it's not going to happen. Adios Amigos.
  • If the takeover hasn't happened by then VM, it will go down as the most emotionally draining non-event of all time.
  • [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]To the person who mentioned plc rules surely charlton ain't been one of them for years. Troublingly I had heard from a good source that takeover was about drip feeding money as we climb the leagues. This factored in two televised cup games this season - us in the big club in lower divs v higher div club role. Which would explain todays announcement being put back until after tonights game. Now we are only in fa and windscreen cups has the price dropped, or has it maybe scuppered the whole deal? :(

Right.Naughty step for you.
  • [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]
    This factored in two televised cup games this season - us in the big club in lower divs v higher div club role. Which would explain todays announcement being put back until after tonights game. Now we are only in fa and windscreen cups has the price dropped, or has it maybe scuppered the whole deal? :(

No offence to you personally, but that is quite possibly the most hilarious, likely-to-be-furthest-from-the-truth rumour that has been posted on here all summer. Cheers for making me smile !
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Right, that's my lot with this thread. I'm going on holiday tomorrow for three weeks and not going anywhere near a computer or mobile phone. If this takeover hasn't happened by the time I come back then it's not going to happen. Adios Amigos.[/quote]

3 weeks holiday in august you must be minted,just get on with it VM and sign them takeover papers
  • remember we're still 5th
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]To the person who mentioned plc rules surely charlton ain't been one of them for years. Troublingly I had heard from a good source that takeover was about drip feeding money as we climb the leagues. This factored in two televised cup games this season - us in the big club in lower divs v higher div club role. Which would explain todays announcement being put back until after tonights game. Now we are only in fa and windscreen cups has the price dropped, or has it maybe scuppered the whole deal? :(

The side of Charlton which is in question over whether there will be a takeover is still Charlton Athletic PLC. If anyone can buy and sell shares, which, correct me if I am wrong, they can, then it must be a PLC.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]OK, PLC but not listed on any stock exchange (we quit the AIM - the non-league equivalent of the stock market - three years ago) so I doubt any statements have to made as even if we are publically listed we aren't publically traded.

As far as the cup issue goes, just passing on what I heard AFKA. A lot of potential 'bonus' money this season is reliant on the odd flukey cup tie that gets televised and the most likely of those (lower league v big league club where the former stands a chance) is obviously always the Carling Cup. Eep! x

No need to fret. We've got a bye in the first round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, that basically constitutes a cup run. We'll be at Wembley in no time!
  • Happy to move this thread on to the inevitable 1000 post mark.....

By the way everything else is bollocks !
  • Agreed soapy. This whole thing is hanging round our necks like an albatross.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Agreed soapy. This whole thing is hanging round our necks like an albatross.

Do albatross actualy hang round people necks? I must say I've never seen one doing it or even met anyone who has. Maybe someone on YouTube will put some footage up someday....until then I'm going to treat it as some kind of silly joke/rumour type thingy.................a bit like the takeover actualy.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Agreed soapy. This whole thing is hanging round our necks like an albatross.

Do albatross actualy hang round people necks? I must say I've never seen one doing it or even met anyone who has. Maybe someone on YouTube will put some footage up someday....until then I'm going to treat it as some kind of silly joke/rumour type thingy.................a bit like the takeover actualy.

Once had soap on a roap shaped like an albatross...........No. Not really.
  • edited August 2009
    Are you saying Henry Cooper is involved in the takeover?
  • edited August 2009

He`s a Charlton fan you know !
  • I hate to sound like AFKA but can we keep this thread on topic please?!? I am sure we will have enough outlandish rumours to break the 1000 post mark once more, without resorting to silly posts to simply boost the number!