Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THE 'OTHER' TAKEOVER THREAD (FOR PROPER CHARLTON)

Comments

• I don't know whether it is a good thing or not to have this takeover still dragging on. Because of one issue(and this is purely hypothetical) as we appear to be under a transfer embargo, according to the reports from Barnsley re Andy Gray's tranfer holdup, then we will not see an exodus of players. At least not in this transfer window.

Just a thought, a crap one I know, but hey.
  • Just a thought...what will we all do when this takeover thing is over?
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Sailor, and everybody

Unfortunately i don't know anything more than I've posted, and not heard anything new since. And I'm now as frustrated as everybody else because I'd been given to understand that it would go through a couple of weeks ago.
    On the other hand I'm sure that if it had broken down, we'd have heard from the buyers about it. Big time.

Thanks Richard for that. You're always pretty frank and direct on here I think and I appreciate your candour.

I think a fair few of us have heard various bits and pieces regarding this deal and some have chosen to go public with that - either with approval or perhaps not - and some of us have kept our own counsel.

I know I'm reading between the lines here, so forgive me, but I think you'd not have stated what you did the other day without that being 'acceptable' to the source you spoke to, close to the deal, which is absolutely correct of course.

The only thing about whether we'd have heard from the buyers 'big time' is if, and I say, if, one or more of them hadn't gone off elsewhere to another deal.

They couldn't really carry on moaning about RM's (or any other director's) possible reluctance to become 'friendly' about the outstanding debt liabilities, as was implied in the MOS, if they were the ones who had abandoned their own consortium for pastures new???

Now, as I said before, I'm not in a position to say that is the case, at all, but the fact the buyers haven't gone public on the breakdown of the deal doesn't mean they aren't now on the South Coast shooting some pool with Peter Storrie.

But this is where it does all of our collective heads in. As Prague and countless others have said over the past weeks and months we only have an 'idea' of what is happening, not the whole picture, and that is why if a group of 'football people' were meant to seal the CAFC deal a couple of weeks back (and I think many of us know the deal should have been in the bag by now) and then you hear that David Dein, a perfect example of a 'football person', is alleged to be part of a newly formed consortium of minted moneymen buying Portsmouth, you think 'hang on a sec...'

I think everbody on this forum, whether party to any whispers or not, thought the deal would have been announced by now. Go and read the original declaration on the CAFC website on the Friday following the MOS story. That is approaching five or six weeks ago now and the Board said the club would be ready for the new season both 'on and off the pitch'.

Well, we play our fifth game of the season on Saturday and, as I write, we still need at least four or five new players to fill out the squad (with 11 days to get them) and we don't know who will be running the show come the end of the month.
  • [cite]Posted By: Redvalleyeast[/cite]I coach a boys footy team and have just got back from training, talked to one of the dads tonight and he knows a director at Charlton and the deal has been signed today by all accounts and will be announced on Friday. He also said it isn't going to set the world alight re millions for transfers etc but is going to steady the ship,nothing more. Dont shoot the messenger!! I haven't been a member on here for long and am not one for bs, just posting what i was told, could all rubbish, guess we'll find out eventually!

I think this is very plausible. Who knows. More likely than the rumours of formidable investment perhaps.

I think a financially challenged consortium mixed with a financially challenged club is a sure-fire recipe for years of mid table/bottom half Championship footie.

We've been through decade after decade of that sort of ambition and achievement before and I'm sure we can all knuckle down and put in 15-20 years hard graft and maybe the Premier League, if it still exists, might beckon again at the end of it.
  • i know jack shit with regard to what's going on. but i have to ask the question, why are our (charltons) state of affairs that much more complicated or intricate than those of man city ( who even before being taken over were cleary a bigger club than ourselves ) southampton or notts county, all these takeovers appeared to go through without too many problems, so why not ours? or am i being too simplistic?
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]RedZed333

You're completely wrong. The Zabeel discussions were thanks to RM and PV working together. There were other Charlton people who were sidelined on a golf course, but not those two.
    That's what they wanted everyone to think....
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]We are where we are. We have the present set up, we have the current players, we have the current level of support and season ticket holders, we have Philip Parkinson as manager, we have three league wins under our belt and a game at the Valley on Saturday against Walsall.
    We have not been taken over, we must assume we won't be, and if we do get taken over we should deal with that situation then....there is getting to be less and less point wondering and speculating about it....personally I find it easier to assume it won't happen, and will try to make it feel like a (pleasant?) suprise if it happens.....for now...are there any injuries for saturday, and have Walsall got anybody we need to be wary of?

Well said.......bring on the Warsaw next saturday.
  • Will be announced on Friday. Believe me it is nothing to get excited about.
    A lot of people ( not Murray and Chapple but other names) who have put in a hell of a lot of their own money over the past 20 years to make the club what it is will lose everything.
    Do not expect any major action on transfers, well not inwards at least.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Will be announced on Friday. Believe me it is nothing to get excited about.
    A lot of people ( not Murray and Chapple but other names) who have put in a hell of a lot of their own money over the past 20 years to make the club what it is will lose everything.
    That's what I heard....
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite] Believe me it is nothing to get excited about.

You havin a laugh? 5 months to organise the most boring takeover in football history.Typical F****** Charlton!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Will be announced on Friday. Believe me it is nothing to get excited about.

Chirpy, you've never been right about anything ever, why the hell would anyone believe you're "in the know" now. You're full of poo poo. You only stick your head up when you think you can tease a laff out of someone. Chirpy Jr., have a word!
  • My guess here is that Chirpy, for once, is probably right. Only because I cannot see any negotiations surviving beyond this week. Its sh*t or bust.
  • Yeah, he may well be right... but he's taking the piss that he "knows" he's right ;-)
  • Chirpy, wipe that smug grin off your face....:o)
  • Someone should write a book on the saga of the "takeover" once it's all cut & dried.

Might turn out to need a trilogy the way things are going....

Mmmm " Return of the King " anyone ?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]i know jack shit with regard to what's going on. but i have to ask the question, why are our (charltons) state of affairs that much more complicated or intricate than those of man city ( who even before being taken over were cleary a bigger club than ourselves ) southampton or notts county, all these takeovers appeared to go through without too many problems, so why not ours? or am i being too simplistic?[/quote]

I presume that the recent selling of the training ground, and other assets, has caused some delay, as it could be argued that it constitutes asset-stripping before a sale. Also bear in mind that Man City's previous owner got a significant part of his investment back (and has bigger things to worry about like convictions in Thailand), whilst Notts County and Southampton were both taken over from administration which I would consider a "problem" to say the least...

Oh and seeing as there's been a ridiculous amount of rumour and bulls**t on this thread, I'll add something I heard from a friend in the sports marketing business recently but is surely too ridiculous to be true. Apparently one of the interested parties was headed by Jemima Khan (Hugh Grant's ex), with her ex husband, Imran (old Pakistani cricketer), being the guy with the money. The thinking behind the interest supposedly being that we'd be cheap and have good infrastructure, which could gain value over a relatively short amount of time, whilst giving a sports mad guy something to do as his political career finishes. As I said, it has to be too ridiculous to be true but makes for a good story.....
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]My guess here is that Chirpy, for once, is probably right. Only because I cannot see any negotiations surviving beyond this week. Its sh*t or bust.
    I think it might be both
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Redvalleyeast[/cite]I coach a boys footy team and have just got back from training, talked to one of the dads tonight and he knows a director at Charlton and the deal has been signed today by all accounts and will be announced on Friday. He also said it isn't going to set the world alight re millions for transfers etc but is going to steady the ship,nothing more. Dont shoot the messenger!! I haven't been a member on here for long and am not one for bs, just posting what i was told, could all rubbish, guess we'll find out eventually![/quote]

To be honest mate you're just going with what ever one else is saying, how the takerover won't bring us loads of money. No offence but O think your talking shit like most people on here no one knows what is happening whether we get takem over by billionaires or just a few people with money no ones knows so for every one else don't take any notice it's utter rubbish.....
  • Remember what the big toe said! Today 14:45 ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Yeah, he may well be right... but he's taking the piss that he "knows" he's right ;-)

He does though. And he largely is right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Today is going ot be a good day just got into uni and the takeover is going to happen, not a FACT!
  • Can you imagine if the takeover finally gets announced this week and then next we sell Shelvey, Bailey and Racon. Be careful what you wish for and better the devil you know etc. I know nothing and I expect very little to change other than a few strikers to go and a few of Parky's bargains to arrive
  • [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Can you imagine if the takeover finally gets announced this week and then next we sell Shelvey, Bailey and Racon. Be careful what you wish for and better the devil you know etc. I know nothing and I expect very little to change other than a few strikers to go and a few of Parky's bargains to arrive

If that happened there would be a team of drunk angry nutters with bats and bricks waiting after the walsall game to expalin it to the new owners...
  • DA9DA9
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Can you imagine if the takeover finally gets announced this week and then next we sell Shelvey, Bailey and Racon. Be careful what you wish for and better the devil you know etc. I know nothing and I expect very little to change other than a few strikers to go and a few of Parky's bargains to arrive

Think about it, any group or consortium who buy us, they commit to put in money, for which you can assume they want to see a return on relatively quickly, it would be business suicide to sell your best assets, who would be key to making sure you get your financial return, ie a promotion push, with the increased ticket revenue and TV money that could bring.

Can only see them offering improved contracts to the likes of Bailey/Shelvey/Racon if/as/when its completed.
  • To be honest mate you're just going with what ever one else is saying, how the takerover won't bring us loads of money. No offence but O think your talking shit like most people on here no one knows what is happening whether we get takem over by billionaires or just a few people with money no ones knows so for every one else don't take any notice it's utter rubbish.....[/quote]

Yep, thats me mate, just following the herd and talking shit....I just wrote on here what i was told, as i said,it might be bs it might not and its not my personal opinion.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Can you imagine if the takeover finally gets announced this week and then next we sell Shelvey, Bailey and Racon. Be careful what you wish for and better the devil you know etc. I know nothing and I expect very little to change other than a few strikers to go and a few of Parky's bargains to arrive

Think about it, any group or consortium who buy us, they commit to put in money, for which you can assume they want to see a return on relatively quickly, it would be business suicide to sell your best assets, who would be key to making sure you get your financial return, ie a promotion push, with the increased ticket revenue and TV money that could bring.

Can only see them offering improved contracts to the likes of Bailey/Shelvey/Racon if/as/when its completed.

That is what I said at the end. But I do think we will see no real money until we go up.
  • [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]

That is what I said at the end. But I do think we will see no real money until we go up.

Maybe not the megabucks some would expect, but surely they would have to be a cash injection of some sorts, even if just enough to offer increased terms for 3 or 4 of our vital members of the squad if we want promotion?
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]May be we should start up a game of fantasy takeover....

I think 99% of you have been playing that for months. There has been so much rubbish on here mainly by those who profess to being in the know with inside knowledge etc etc.
  • I've been a part of a few protracted takes overs (both on the receiving end) and as part of a take over company. They do take time to negotiate - but not this long. I worked for a company once that was sold and had 20 small international divisions and it still only took 3 months for the due diligence to be done. My guess is that its all waiting on some external third party thing to complete - bit like a chain when you are buying a house. I'm guessing that if Curbs is part of it then its waiting on his claim against West Ham to be completed (otherwise his claim will either be dismissed or significantly reduced) or something like (and this is a wild guess) for Sullivan and Gold to sell Birmingham - giving them the money to re-invest in another team - Charlton?? In any case I think any announcement must depend on a third party completion...
  • dont ruin our fun brunello

you know you was with me, cappelo, branson, and gates for a ruby last night discussing the buying power we would have once the deal is signed