Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• 196-9

need 30 still
  • We've gota win tickets for the oval match mate..
  • Did u get my txt just now mate?
  • edited July 2009
    Yes Thanks.
    As I said, don't worry about it.
    I won the tickets, and I'm just glad you enjoyed yourselves.

PS. So don't believe what Henry,Soundas,AFKA,etc say about me, I'm a Nice Guy really ;-)
  • Got to enforce the follow on surely ?
  • we're batting I think
  • edited July 2009
    F*** !
    Why ?

Knowing England we'll be all out for 100 & the Aussies'll have 2 days to get 300-odd.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]we're batting I think

we've just drawn the match, wicket will be far to flat and slow by day 5, once again we've thrown away a test match
  • Need to score 300 quickly, and then declare, the weather tomorrow is cloudy and occasional showers.

Day 5 is going to be flat and dead
  • Botham is livid
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Botham is livid

Me too!!
  • I would have stuck em back in, and chased 150-200 on a dead flat day 5 pitch at Lords.

Strauss is terrible calling declarations to boot
  • If we put them back in, on a track like that, in conditions like today, they'd get 400 by stumps. You saw how much Anderson and Broad toiled on it when trying to get those two bunnies out at the end. Not enforcing the follow-on was the right thing to do IMO
  • This time, I think Strauss made the right call. If Flintoff and Jimmy Anderson were fully fit it would have been different. We all know Flintoff's injury problem but Jimmy put an ankle brace on and took pain killers just after tea last night so its probably wise that they get a day's rest.

However, its a tough decision when to call the declaration 2nd innings though bearing in mind there are still 2 full days left after today. Bearing in mind a 4th and 5th day pitch at Lords plays pretty true without variable bounch, its not inconceviable that the Aussie's could knock off 500 to win the match.
  • 50-0 off 10.

England lead by 260.
  • Lunch:

57-0.
  • What kind of lead does the panel think we will need before declaring (if we get that far)?
  • Depends if we get a welly on today. If we get a lead of 500 at COP, I'd chuck the kitchen sink at them tomorrow morning then have five full sessions to bowl them out. That's unless it looks like its going to rain tomorrow - if it does I'd get them in as soon as the cloud cover starts forming. 500 is a f***er of a total to chase on any pitch - even one that plays as true as this one will
  • 550 plus...

If Strauss in the Caribbean is anything to go by then it'll be plenty. I'm hoping that he's had a good long look at the weather forecast and is confident that there'll be enough playing time over the next eight sessions to score another 250-300 runs (shouldn't be too difficult on this pitch, and Australia only have Siddle and Hilfenhaus either fully fit or in form) and still have time to knock over a strong Aussie batting line up. At least our bowlers should be fresh when they get to bowl again and they'll have a big total to defend meaning they can attack.
  • Sponsored links:

• At least 600 we need the ozzys could easily get that over 2 days.
  • edited July 2009
    61-1 Cook lbw Hauritz 32
  • Top decision to bat again, though normally I would make them follow on. But the pitch is doing nothing at the month, seems little or no swing and Fred is obviously not fully fit or he would of bowled at the tail enders. Add to that their spinners injury and they are depleted, plus Johnson is struggling too so get to 500 lead by cop and get them in for 5 overs tonight or ahead of lunch tomorrow. Gives Fred and jimmy a rest too ready to go at them.
  • edited July 2009
    74-2 Strauss C Clarke B Hauritz 32
  • FFS. Hauritz is utter, utter shite as well. Cook out shuffling across his stumps like an old man and Strauss just careless. Annoying. Come on figjam - need a big score here
  • edited July 2009
    Kp needs to a big score, anything under 75 is not good enough needs a ton min, I've gone from elation yesterday to really thinking we could really feck this up, ozzys looked pumped knock us down for 250 ish game is on big time, should have bowled again we really could lose this now instead of having a hand on the win..
  • Typical Strauss dismissal, loses a bit of concentration and goes for something a bit too expansive, but a good delivery from Hauritz, a typical off-spinner's wicket, a bit of flight on off-stump and he drew the batsman into the shot.
  • HA !!

And they lost to New Zealand in the Rugby.
  • Love a good not out with a mental ozzy appeal... they really are the man utd of cricket.
  • Love watching Ponting have a mare.

What a miss, followed by a shocking attempt at a catch, keep it up buddy!