Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fortune Rejects Contract

Comments

• Options
    Wouldn't mind him back to give us more cover but he has had a few injuries in his time. Any update on what Ward is up to?
  • Options
    For fecks sake, football player pays his own bills and that says a lot about his character apparently, what next, footballer dresses himself in morning, footballer opens fridge door and puts on kettle himself shocker, get a grip Blackwell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]For fecks sake, football player pays his own bills and that says a lot about his character apparently, what next, footballer dresses himself in morning, footballer opens fridge door and puts on kettle himself shocker, get a grip Blackwell.
    Exactly what I thought.

Played for us in the Prem for what, 6/7 years consistently, earning circa £10-15k a week? I can't imagine his BUPA bill is going to be that excessive.
  • Options
    Probably see him down the QE in A&E.
  • Options
    Darren Ward had a clause in his Wolves contract that triggered a very decent wage rise if the got to the Prem.
    We can't afford his wages, unles he comes on loan and Wolves pay 75% of them.
    He is sitting in the reserves earning pots, but he wants regular footy - so u never know!

As for JF, he has a testimonial at CAFC if he stays this year - it's a lot to turn your back on, but if he had joined Stoke 2 years ago he would be in the Prem now, not poxy L1, so u can't blame him for looking at his options.
  • Options
    Hmm...does anyone else think that Stoke might not be in the Prem now if they'd signed JF?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]He's paying his own bills - Oh bless!!

Quick get a whip sorted asap. I'd be happy to contribute all my earnings for the next three years, the contents of my nephews piggy bank and even throw in a evening with my wife. I draw the line at the use of the swivel chair at weekends though...or the automatic bottle opener.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]He's paying his own bills - Oh bless!!

Quick get a whip sorted asap. I'd be happy to contribute all my earnings for the next three years, the contents of my nephews piggy bank and even throw in a evening with my wife. I draw the line at the use of the swivel chair at weekends though...or the automatic bottle opener.

I've played centre-back before, Bourney - and been injured ......if the offer still stands, I wouldn't mind taking advantage of your kind offer ......

;o)
  • Options
    Fortune turning out for Sheffield United reserves tonight as he tries to get to full fitness
  • Options
    Bring him home and offer him a new contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree, Especially now the takeover has been sorted .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Bring him home and offer him a new contract.

I'd wait till he gets fully fit first...

Let Sheff U pay for that and we'll take advantage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]

As for JF, he has a testimonial at CAFC if he stays this year - it's a lot to turn your back on, but if he had joined Stoke 2 years ago he would be in the Prem now, not poxy L1, so u can't blame him for looking at his options.

Not that much really for a footballer who has played in top 2 divisions all his career.
    Prob get 5000 in attendance at 15 quid a pop = 75k
  • Options
    5,000 for Fortune? Doubt it very much. More 3,000 at best.
  • Options

Not sure I agree Oggy. Seems he doesn't want to play for us and the strength of the current squad is that they do. It's not as if SheffU are going places!!!! He's made his bed so let him lie in it.
  • Options
    He's going where the money is, (as we offered him not a lot) which is fair enough.

He's just about Championship standard but his pace and fitness would be an issue if I was looking to take him on.

Can't see him back at ours now Sodje is on board.
  • Options
    Chaz said : ''Seems he doesn't want to play for us and the strength of the current squad is that they do.''

Spot on. Last season we had a team of players who didn't want to be there/ were trying to hide/ were embarassed to be part of the shambles.

Somehow - and I still don't quite know how - Parky this season has made many of the same players proud to play for CAFC again.

JF voted with his feet and he's now part of the old regime of disaster and failure and I cannot see that his return would do anything but damage the new-found spirit in the squad.
  • Options
    Jon Fortune is a nice enough and personable bloke, and was popular enough with most of the current squad.
    He'd fit in just fine.

He always has. For years.
  • Options

Agreed.

Still need the cover and could still use the player.

Bring Fortune home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Jon Fortune is a nice enough and personable bloke, and was popular enough with most of the current squad.
    He'd fit in just fine.

I agree, I think some are being a little harsh on Jon, I personally would love to see him sign for us and don't blame him for keeping his options open at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't agree, Oggy. Sure, he a personable bloke, So are you. So am I (ocassonally, on my better days, anyways). But Jonny Fortune is the past. As you say he's been here ''for years''. Time has moved on and Parky is ushering in a new era with players young enough to move on with him.

Same applies to Matt Holland. Time to move not only onwards but upwards,too. These oldsters cannot be part of that. Good luck to JF at Shef U, or wherever. Decent pro. Deserves a living from the game. But that living is no longer at Charlton. He knows that. And we know that, too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Jon Fortune is a nice enough and personable bloke, and was popular enough with most of the current squad.
    He'd fit in just fine.

Agree. He was injured for most of last year. When he came back we looked better and he played when we beat Palace even though he had done his achilles.

If the other players can benefit from the influence of Parkinsella and become confident winners again then so can JF.

I don't think he will sign now and we have Sodje so maybe not a huge miss but a miss all the same. JF is class above this division and should be class above in the CCC as well. Will be gutted if he goes but thems the breaks. Good luck Jon whatever you do (unless that is sign for Palace!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]
    But Jonny Fortune is the past. As you say he's been here ''for years''. Time has moved on and Parky is ushering in a new era with players young enough to move on with him.

Players young enough to move on with him?
    Like .....

Llera 30
    Spring 30 in November
    Burton 33
    Dailly 36 next month.

Fortune is 28.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know very well , dear old Ogster, that the phrase meant young enough in their Charlton careers! All those you mention were brought in during 2009 by Parkinson, were they not?

The heading on this thread says 'Fortune rejects contract'. Voila. Parky is building a very good team spirit from what I can see, based on players he brought in and young players like Elliot and Shelvey who want to play for Charlton...
  • Options
    Oi..... less of the old, old fella!
    But I have been rumbled, I'm older than Fortune.

So Fortune rejected a much smaller contract than had just expired.

Parkinson made a point of saying that he hoped Fortune would sign, could be a key player, blah blah blah
    Doesn't sound like he wanted to lose Fortune?

You can't blame Fortune for testing the waters elsewhere. Most players would do the same in similar circumstances.
    But that doesn't necessarily mean Fortune wouldn't want to come back. Or that Parky wouldn't want him.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fair enough, Oggy. But I detect a hunger to do well with Charlton in the current side. I find it hard to believe that JF can refind that hunger back at the Valley.

There comes a tide in the affairs of men and it really is time for him to find a new challenge where he can rediscover his hunger and his passion ...having rejected Charlton to go and seek a new challenge (and no doubt more money) elsewhere, I really don't want a player coming back to us with his tail between his legs , basically saying 'well I can't fnd anything better out there, so I guess you'll have to do...'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Fair enough, Oggy. But I detect a hunger to do well with Charlton in the current side. I find it hard to believe that JF can refind that hunger back at the Valley.

There comes a tide in the affairs of men and it really is time for him to find a new challenge where he can rediscover his hunger and his passion ...having rejected Charlton to go and seek a new challenge (and no doubt more money) elsewhere, I really don't want a player coming back to us with his tail between his legs , basically saying 'well I can't fnd anything better out there, so I guess you'll have to do...'

Agree totally N. I'm sure JF is a nice guy and would do a job for us. However he has always been a fringe player making a good living from CAFC. This was his chance to show some loyalty/gratitude and he has come up short. I'm mean SheffU is hardly a dream move....Think he has got himself between a rock and a hard place now unless he thinks he can always come back to us if nothing better crops up. Not the sort of attitude we want anymore. Give me Sam S any day of the week!
  • Options
    But if you put himself in Jon Fortune's place:

You quite enjoy your job, you've been there around 10 years and have got some good mates there.

But .... business is not so good, sales revenue is falling, there are lots of cutbacks and even your manager thinks he's going to lose his job. Many of your friends leave, and you are yourself are out of contract.

Unlike your friends who are forced to leave, nobody there wants you to go - so they ask you to stay on at half your previous salary.

You don't really want to leave, you've been at the Company 10 years remember - and get on with most of the people ...... but cutting your wages in half.......? Then another company head hunts you with the promise of a salary similar to what you were paid before and asks you to work at a higher level of responsibility.

So what would you do?
  • Options
    I just don't get this "he's championship standard at best" line. A fully fit, motivated Fortune in tandem with a complimentary centre back is a good Championship player and an adequate Premier League squad player.

He may be the past and it's best for us not to look to re-tie the knot, but he would still do an excellent job in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Nothing against Jon Fortune but he is part of the past, let's look forwards not backwards.