Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fortune Rejects Contract

Comments

• Options
    Not a normal situation Oggy but things I would think about.

Poor sick record and contract coming to an end at a time when there is a shortage of jobs in my industry? Chance of a job elsewhere on more money but not a cert and will have to prove medical problems are in the past and uproot and move from home/comfortable environment. Prevoius employer has looked after me really well and is going through a difficult patch and could do with people like me to help them through it. Not short of a bob or two and any longer term prospects realistically in London. I'd like to think I'd stay. But I am a Charlton fan through and through!
  • Options
    Chaz ..... I just lost my post.

I had it in preview and instinctively tried to correct a spelling mistake ..... and the whole poxy post just vanished from in front of my eyes.

I partly agreed with you, partly not. But I really can't be arsed to write it all again.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Jon Fortune may be the past (IMHO a Prem player if fit, especially with decent partners) but one thing is for sure, despite their sterling efforts, Llera and Dailly are not the future, having neither speed nor age on their side. I'm not sure Sodje is a Championship defender (if we go up) although he is good cover. If we maintain our good form and the boardroom is stabilised, I'd like to see us take a punt in January on some young talent, Prem cast-offs or even non-league. Someone with a bit of presence and pace. Ditto a striker.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sorry to hear that Oggy. Nothing worse!

Wish JF all the best (wonder how he got on in the SheffU reserve match y'day?) but I suspect he has burnt his boats with us now.

Also heard from a good source we almost lost Nicky B on transfer day deadline. His Agent was talking to Portsmouth!
  • Options
    Played 60 minutes in their 2-1 win against port vale
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse!

Wish JF all the best (wonder how he got on in the SheffU reserve match y'day?) but I suspect he has burnt his boats with us now.

Also heard from a good source we almost lost Nicky B on transfer day deadline. His Agent was talking to Portsmouth!

Cheerz, Chaz .....(!)

What happened with Bailey, then ....... and how come he decided to stay with us rather than a lucrative contract in the Prem?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse!

Cheerz, Chaz .....(!)

What happened with Bailey, then ....... and how come he decided to stay with us rather than a lucrative contract in the Prem?

Not sure of exact details. My lad is a good mate. Just said NB's agent was trying to put a deal together but (fortunately for us) didn't work out. Bit of a worry for January though!
  • Options
    Pompey and us will both be in the Championship next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Pompey and us will both be in the Championship next season.

Just what I said to my lad. And we will be on the way up and they will be on the way further down
  • Options
    Bloody agents!

Thanks, Chaz.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=35089&headline=Bailey:

Either your mate was wrong Cha or Nicky is lying to us!
  • Options

Portsmouth were talking to his agent on transfer day deadline. Nothing definite emerged as stated!
  • Options
    Pompey are skint - they nearly went bust in the summer and aparently were a day or two away from it happening. They might be able to offer him more money - but are likely to be in the Championship next season and I suspect thery know that and offered him a contract with a clause reducing his salary in the event of relegation.
  • Options
    Or Charlton had increased his money, made him Captain, made him feel truly wanted ...... and he actually likes it here now that we're winning.

Winning is a good feeling - priceless!
  • Options
    Probably once he factored in the difference between promotion with us and certain relegation with Pompey and a wage reduction thrown in he figured that the difference wasn't worth the move.
  • Options
    Or his missus told him that he's not moving because she's only just had the kitchen refitted .....?
  • Options
    I play football with Nicky Bailey's agent & on Sunday he never mentioned anything about it curiously, so must have been a phone call if that, they never even mentioned it to the player. He just said that Middlesborough made an offer which we declined.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I play football with Nicky Bailey's agent & on Sunday he never mentioned anything about it curiously, so must have been a phone call if that, they never even mentioned it to the player. He just said that Middlesborough made an offer which we declined.

Ok fine but my lad is a mate of Nicky's (not his agent) and my lads wife is a mate of Nicky's wife and his wife knew about it.....If I hear anything else I'll keep it too myself!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I play football with Nicky Bailey's agent & on Sunday he never mentioned anything about it curiously, so must have been a phone call if that, they never even mentioned it to the player. He just said that Middlesborough made an offer which we declined.

Ok fine but my lad is a mate of Nicky's (not his agent) and my lads wife is a mate of Nicky's wife and his wife knew about it.....If I hear anything else I'll keep it too myself!

No don't Chaz let us know please.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Nothing against Jon Fortune but he is part of the past, let's look forwards not backwards.

So you wouldn't want Darren Bent back either I presume ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ''So you wouldn't want Darren Bent back either I presume ? ''

Not sure I get that as the parallel doesn't really seem to fit. Someone like Kevin Lisbie might be a better analogy. But sure, there are those who would like to have him back, too...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Nothing against Jon Fortune but he is part of the past, let's look forwards not backwards.

And that Darren Ward. part of the past. Dont resign him. Or sodje oh we already did
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]''So you wouldn't want Darren Bent back either I presume ? ''

Not sure I get that as the parallel doesn't really seem to fit. Someone like Kevin Lisbie might be a better analogy. But sure, there are those who would like to have him back, too...

My point is I don't think Ormy really means what he says. It's not to do with just the past as I bet he'd have Darren Bent back. It's more to do with he doesn't want Jon Fortune back.

By the way I'd have him back like a shot. He ain't a legend (LOL) but he never let us down.

(Closer to legendary status than Youga though :-)
  • Options
    If Fortune returned to sign a contract with us, no matter whether it was because he was turned down elsewhere, i wouldn't be unhappy, because he's a good footballer, and you can never have too many of those!
  • Options
    Covered End said : ''My point is I don't think Ormy really means what he says. It's not to do with just the past as I bet he'd have Darren Bent back. It's more to do with he doesn't want Jon Fortune back.''

Can't really speak for Ormiston, but I suspect there's a very good reason he - and others - don't really want JF back.

Parky had a colossal task on his hand building an esprit de corps out of the rubble of last season. JF, who was part of the rubble, decided to opt out of the rebuilding and not to be part of the new esprit de corps.

If Fortune can't get a better gig elsewhere and comes back saying 'your party looks more fun than I thought it was going to be, so I'd like to come in after all' , then I would definitely have mixed feelings. I certainly wouldn't welcome him back like some kind of returning progigal son; Parky would at the very least first have to seek certain assurances about his fitness and commitment to the fight.

But I doubt it's going to happen, anyway, is it? Someone will sign him up and I rather doubt he wants to come back to the Valley. Bridges burnt and all that...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

Turn it up mate.

Darren Bent = CAFC great with 37 in 79 games in the top flight of English football - that's top class.

Jon Fortune - CAFC great? Erm, not really is he? He played around 170 games over 11 years at the club, meaning he only played 16 games a season in the first team over all that time.

I don't hold anything against the bloke at all but we are finally moving away from the Curbishley era and I don't see any sense in bringing Fortune back when, in reality, he has a shocking injury record and has already turned down the best deal we could offer him.

Moving forward would be best for everyone.
  • Options
    Nigel - I remember a thread re the pre season Ireland tour that on the plane I think all the Charlton players were singing that Jon was staying and that someone else had gone possibly Hudson. I got the impression from that comment (think it was Clem snide ), that Jon wasn't part of the rubble but was very popular.
    I wouldn't class him as part of the rubble. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Sorry, Covered End - I wasn't sIngling out JF for criticism as 'rubble'. I was describing our season, which ended in ruins - ie 'rubble'. Everyone was part of that rubble - board, manager and playing staff. Some then decided to pick themselves up, dust themselves down and start rebuilding Charlton's bombed-out house, brick by brick.

Fortune declined to be part of that. Now we've got some solid foundations again and the house is starting to look habitable once more, I'd be a little sceptical of anyone who suddenly decides it's time to come 'home'.

But I don't think it's going to happen, as I say...
  • Options
    Looks like Danny Shittu now being lined up by SheffU! Not looking good for JF?
  • Options
    Come home Jon, come home.

"There is more joy in SE7 over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance."