Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fortune Rejects Contract

Comments

• Options
    shame is I doubt we can currently afford him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]shame is I doubt we can currently afford him.
    I think his financial demands should be plummeting too, though
  • Options
    The grass is always greener elsewhere and perhaps it is for for Jon Fortune. Halfway through September and still unattached, maybe other clubs see his limitations more than he can.
    I always liked seeing his name on the team sheet but I dont think he see's it at this level.
    Good luck Jon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]shame is I doubt we can currently afford him.
    I think his financial demands should be plummeting too, though

Agree. He is hardly in a strong negotiating position now. Thing is how much is his injury record putting SheffU off?

As long as he does "repent" Henry" then perhaps.
  • Options
    We have a lot of fitness and medical people with little to do.

We need Fortune with his injury back to keep occupied ; - )

I think his injury could be a big factor in Sheff Utd's thinking but might just do us a favour as with others less likely to take him he might come to us. I would hate to see him at Palace.

We only have Sodje as cover while Llera and Youga already have 3 yellow cards each. If the money can stretch to one more CH Jon would be ideal.
  • Options
    If Fortune did re-sign, he'll know that he has to earn a place for himself - no way would he just walk into a winning side.

He's often been accused of being too 'comfortable' at Charlton ...... but if he can prove his fitness, then he should be hungry to want to win his place and bust a gut to keep it.

Remember, everybody wants to play in a winning side. And Fortune is a quality footballer at this level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]We have a lot of fitness and medical people with little to do.

We need Fortune with his injury back to keep occupied ; - )

I think his injury could be a big factor in Sheff Utd's thinking but might just do us a favour as with others less likely to take him he might come to us. I would hate to see him at Palace.

We only have Sodje as cover while Llera and Youga already have 3 yellow cards each. If the money can stretch to one more CH Jon would be ideal.

Surely there are 90 other clubs before Palace. No way could he go there, hes a Charlton product.
  • Options
    If he moves back to London where he has lived all his life who else is there.

QPR, Palace, Watford in the CCC
  • Options
    Not fussed if he signs or not to be honest. Think its probably time for us and him to move on.
  • Options
    When all is said and done, Fortune is a quality defender with Premiership experience. Dailly is unlikely to play every game and Llera looks a little shakey at times. If Fortune wants to come back I think we should welcome him with open arms.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What Queenie said.
  • Options
    I would love him back but it would be a pride swallowing move on his part, is that something the modern pro can handle?
  • Options
    Definitely have him back. Dailly is very experienced but will have periods out of the side. Not sure I'd want to go for long chunks of the season with Sodje and Llera at the back with Youga as back up.
  • Options
    If we did get promoted then I feel we'd have to find replacements for both Llera and Dailly next season. That wouldn't be the case with Fortune, so would take him back if it was possible.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]When all is said and done, Fortune is a quality defender with Premiership experience. Dailly is unlikely to play every game and Llera looks a little shakey at times. If Fortune wants to come back I think we should welcome him with open arms.

As you say, Premiership experience. He has never experienced third division football (may be on loan?) and its my guess he wont want to have that experience.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]When all is said and done, Fortune is a quality defender with Premiership experience. Dailly is unlikely to play every game and Llera looks a little shakey at times. If Fortune wants to come back I think we should welcome him with open arms.

As you say, Premiership experience. He has never experienced third division football (may be on loan?) and its my guess he wont want to have that experience.

Went to Mansfield on loan as a youngster which was 4th division football if i remember rightly.

If the price (wages) was right and he has fully recovered from his serious injury I'd have him back. This is a man who played without painkillers when injured in the Premiership when other centre halves were injured or suspended so there are no doubts as to his commitment.

As others have also said he would be capable of stepping up a level with us should we gain promotion.
  • Options
    I'd forgotten that Len......... Forts volunteered to play with a broken toe against Portsmouth at home in the Prem, because we had a major centreback crisis, and there was no one else.

That was the Omar Pouso match for all you statisticians out there .......
  • Options
    Didn't he play a game with a broken nose as well and tried to run off a major injury during the Matt Spring inspired Palace victory.

Bloody nancy boy
  • Options
    Yeah I'd have him back like a shot, Daily has been great but nearly 36 will need rests. llera looks shaky at times and will get suspended a few times i reckon.
    Fortune is a more than adequate championship centre half and in all honesty when there are defenders like Clarke Carlisle, Steven Caldwell, Jody Craddock etc playing in the Prem, Fortune IMO is better!
  • Options
    I saw the Shittu story and thought the same thing.

If we tried to sign Darren Ward last week then clearly we are searching for a new cb.

I think Dailly has been classy and outstanding at this level , but Llera has not filled me with the same confidence but a good League One stopper.Sodje is similar.

Remember when we were last in this league Les Berry and Peter Shaw twice went on a 5 game clean sheet run and I've never seen that combo in anyone's all time Charlton team, so Llera and Sodje may be ok for the present but we need cover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]If we tried to sign Darren Ward last week then clearly we are searching for a new cb.

I thought Parky meant we tried to sign him at some point this summer? Not last week.

If we want to bring in another CB, I'd be very happy with Fortune. But it might be the right time to move on. He never did push on and become the defender we wanted to, though injuries didn't help to be fair.
  • Options
    Fortune has signed for Sheff Utd till Christmas.
  • Options
    ''Fortune has signed for Sheff Utd till Christmas. ''

I think this is the best thing for everybody concerned. For the reasons stated by varous posters in this thread, I never thought we'd see him in a CAFC shirt again and concluded that he couldn't really be part of the rebuilding of our squad. But I wish him the very best of luck and will retain the fondest memories of him ...
  • Options
    Alan Shearer could never cope with him. JF had him "in his pocket" every time and the AS goalscoring record against us was far inferior to his average. He was sent off at the Valley in a huff too.

Fond memories of JF and a shame he has missed out on a testimonial with us after all that time. The last player we had a testimonial for was John Robinson in about 2002 as I recall. The next will probably be Sam or Bailey !
  • Options
    Shame. PP said he never had a problem with JF and offered him a contract but on League 1 money.

JF decided to try somewhere else and good luck to him.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]The last player we had a testimonial for was John Robinson in about 2002 as I recall. The next will probably be Sam or Bailey !

First one maybe, but Bailey? Hope you're right but can't see that one myself.
  • Options
    Bailey has only been at Charlton for a year ..... so only 9 years to go before hist testimonial season.
    Long service testimonials are normally awarded by the club to recognise 10 years service.

Now Lloyd Sam could qualify after 10 years as a Pro, so in about 3 or 4 years time.
  • Options
    He joined us as a Championship side trying to get into the Prem, after almost going on strike at Southend to force the move. When Parky gave him the armband he commented (albeit privately)that he was going to stick with us through whatever it takes to get back to the big time. Things can change, but I think it's more likely that we will sell him - rather than him asking to go. Kinsella was taken from lowly Colchester to heady heights with us and I hope NB will do the same.

He's a Lewisham boy, like Carlo and Rufus, and they have staying power!
  • Options
    what is the deal with Fortune then?

has he got a club at present?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77 2 hours ago[/cite]Fortune has signed for Sheff Utd till Christmas.