Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question Time.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]PS: When people say 'there is no such thing as indigenous' what they really mean is 'I am allowed an ethnic identity, but you are not'.
    But that's a false distinction. The problem with all these discussions is you have to make sure that everyone concerned is using the same terms in the same way. I'm assuming you, like me, are white British. That's your ethnicity, and no-one is saying you can't have one. Indigenous gets used in several different ways. If we're using the "born here" definition, then Chris Powell is indigenous but John Robinson isn't, but I doubt that's what the BNP mean. If we're using the "descended from the original inhabitants of the land" definition, it gets horribly complicated due to Britain's history of conquest and colonisation, and the fact you'd need to be able to trace back several thousand years, which is just not going to be possible. That's why they're arguing that talking about indigenous British people is meaningless.
  • Options
    DFT, please give some actual example of when people have not been allowed to celebrate Xmas.

Every year I hear these stories but no one every seems to have real examples.

Jon Gaunt did about an hour of his show about a Birmingham shopping mail which has "banned Xmas" and how terrible it was.

After yet another "it's terrible, we can't celebrate our culture" caller the manager of shopping mail rang up.

He said they hadn't banned Xmas, The mail was covered in xmas lights, decorations etc and the shops were all selling xmas stuff.

They had just decided not to have a santas grotto as it blocked the shops.

I think people look for excuses to be offended sometimes
  • Options
    " it gets horribly complicated due to Britain's history of conquest and colonisation, and the fact you'd need to be able to trace back several thousand years, which is just not going to be possible"

Apparently it is possible now. I just looked up references on the modern genetics stuff that Bonny Greer talked about, and got somewhat carried away. It's massively complicated and I don't pretend to understand it all, indeed most of it, but we apparently share most of our DNA markers with the Basques. Where the Basques got their DNA from is even more interesting. Ice ages and Neanderthals and NHA's (near human adaptations). Not quite sure where it all leaves us, but for anyone who prides themselves on the Anglo-Saxon bit, there are some nasty surprises.

The following is just a small sample of the genetic investigations.

"By far the majority of male gene types in the British Isles derive from Iberia (modern Spain and Portugal), ranging from a low of 59% in Fakenham, Norfolk to highs of 96% in Llangefni, north Wales and 93% Castlerea, Ireland. On average only 30% of gene types in England derive from north-west Europe. Even without dating the earlier waves of north-west European immigration, this invalidates the Anglo-Saxon wipeout theory... ...75-95% of British and Irish (genetic) matches derive from Iberia...Ireland, coastal Wales, and central and west-coast Scotland are almost entirely made up from Iberian founders, while the rest of the non-English parts of the Britain and Ireland have similarly high rates. England has rather lower rates of Iberian types with marked heterogeneity, but no English sample has less than 58% of Iberian samples..."
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It was the labour party who very recently used terms like "British jobs for British people" and" the white working class" not the BNP. It was Straw and 2 Jags who said at various times that the English dont exist. Itr was and IS part of the labour policy to devolve power to NI/Wales / Scotalnd and split what was England into regions therefore England would effectively not exist------------- even at the last PM question time Brown was asked about pole tax and said "develution has meant more power to the people of NI/Wales/Scotland -------- and London". They say giving England its own Parliament would split the Union ???? and of course they havnt already. They have never had any answer to the Midlotheian question and just hope it goes away.

Jack Straw has no answers to his partys betrayl (sic) of England or his partys horrendous record of imigration at ANY price.

A darling of the left Billy Bragg also calls for England to have an assembly , strange though he sees it made up first of regions !!! really Billy wonder where you get that idea from.

maybe part of British-ness is tolerance of other cultures/systems etc and just maybe the so called left-liberals should start to realise it was along time ago that many others look on this tolerance now as a total weekness.

How is it that Labour spouted that an illigal imigrant is deported every 12 seconds but they dont know how many are here ? then was forced to admit due to imigation lwayers there has been less than 2 thousand deported? how is it that a illigal imigrant caught once sent home then returns here ,is then paid to go back to Iran. He marries a UK woman , smuggles him self back into the UK , is caught working illigally but after he is represented by immigration lawyers is allowed to go free ?

How is it 6/7 years after the last amnesty on iliigal imigrants Borris thinks we should have another one ? Loverly jubbleeeeeee so all illigals get here find a human rights/imigration lawyer , dont worry abour geting caught 7 years down the line wooooppppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee they are British.

No real idea what being British or English is but i tell you what it isnt its not being given a British passport by the showerofshit Labour Government. Its just like shippings flag of convieance(sic)
  • Options
    It doesn't get horribly complicated, Ali. I, like most 'English' people, am descended from an Anglo-Scandinavian stock that has become more an Anglo-Celtic mix over time. That's what I call 'indigenous'. This culture (which has assimilated bits and bats of other mostly European cultures such as , e.g the Heugenots over the years) has been largely dominant for a very long time - in fact, until the later 20th century and the era of mass non-European immigration. It has nothing to do with 'purity' (which is an illogical concept) or exclusivity. You have your ethnicity, I have mine. Simple.

Why do I have to spell it out? No-one else has to justify who they are and where they come from. Why should I?

To simply try and pretend that me and many others of my background do not exist is the root of the problem and the reason that many are voting for idiots like Griffin.

At the risk of repeating myself - all I want is equality, pure and simple.
  • Options
    Wow, this thread is intense but it's interesting to me that this hasn't turned into a slanging match. What did Churchill say about fanatics, somethibg about the fact they will never change their mind and they never change the subject. That's griffin and his cronies. Immigration is generally celebrated here apart from, in the majority, by the first nations. I mentioned to a first nation friend of mine that immigration is a hot topic in the UK and he just laughed at me.
  • Options
    Stilladdicted, the study that you are quoting there is controversial and contradicted by other studies. I am not saying it must be wrong, it's just that its conclusions are not widely supported amongst anthropologists, e.g:

'A study was made of 100 English people by Piercy et al. and published in 1993, the data from which has been incorporated into later studies. In 2001 a team led by Jim Wilson published a paper on the differing male and female roles during cultural transmission in the British Isles. A paper published in 2002 by Michael Weale of University College London focussed on the Anglo-Saxon invasion. They sampled seven small towns across central England and North Wales in comparison with samples from Friesland and Norway, to look for evidence of immigration from the continent. They examined three population processes: simple splitting with subsequent divergence, single mass migration, and continuous background migration. They produced a genetic distance map that showed significant differences between the English and Welsh samples, with the Friesland sample clustering with the former. They concluded that mass Anglo-Saxon migration was the most likely event, by default.'

This could be right, or it could be wrong. These are questions that we probably will never know the answer to. What is undeniable is that whatever the genetic/ethnic mix of the indigenous inhabitants of England, we have until recently shared a broad culture which is as valid as any other.
  • Options
    stilladdicted, that looks fascinating. Can you recommend some good links?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]DFT, please give some actual example of when people have not been allowed to celebrate Xmas[/quote]

A very quick Google turned this up, there are more examples but I am off out now:

Attempts to downgrade Christmas include Birmingham's 1998 decision to rename it "Winterval" and the South London borough of Lambeth's "winter lights" of 2004 that "reflected a number of religious festivals".

The Red Cross banned Christmas decorations from its shops and, in 2003, High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire refused to allow a church to advertise a carol service in a library for fear of offending other religions.

Church leaders have also expressed fears about attempts to ban Christians from wearing religious symbols.

Earlier this year, the Institute for Public Policy Research, an influential Labour think-tank, published a paper saying: "Even-handedness dictates that we provide public recognition to minority cultures and traditions.
    "If we are going to continue as a nation to mark Christmas - and it would be very hard to expunge it from our national life even if we wanted to - then public organisations should mark other religious festivals too."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-500868/Lets-ALL-celebrate-Christmas-says-Labours-equality-chief.html#ixzz0UmkGtsPv
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Why do I have to spell it out? No-one else has to justify who they are and where they come from. Why should I?
    I'm not asking you to justify who you are, or where you come from. I'm asking you to explain your use of an anthropological term, which seems to be contrary to the widely accepted definitions.
    To simply try and pretend that me and many others of my background do not exist is the root of the problem and the reason that many are voting for idiots like Griffin.
    OK, now I am confused. Who's pretending that you don't exist?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The reason why a lot of people have joined the BNP is because they can see that "equality" is not the main aim anymore - it's superiority. This country bends over backwards to help everybody but it's own people.
  • Options
    Ali, I explained what I meant. How was it contrary to widely accepted definitions? Please explain.

I was not saying that you are saying it does not exist - my original point was that last night on QT there were people saying exactly that, and that is the kind of thing that causes resentment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ParkinsonOut[/cite]

But you want Parkinson Out !!??
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ParkinsonOut[/cite]

The reason why a lot of people have joined the BNP is because they can see that "equality" is not the main aim anymore - it's superiority. This country bends over backwards to help everybody but it's own people.

Now I'm confused you see what do you mean by "it's own people?"

Citizens?
    People who were born here?
    People who's parents were born here but they weren't?
    People of Irish decent who live here?
    People like my friend who's surname is Van Portvliet who are descended from Flemish weavers?
    People that fall into DFT's definition.

When do "they" become "us"?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Im not sure who US are ? im almost sure its not YOU, but it could be THEM. I know its ok to slag US off but its defo racist to slag THEM off. Most of THEM come here to be US. Maybe when them become US we can slag everyone of THEM off !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Lol!
  • Options
    DFT, nice to see you turn up an article from that organ of truth and decency The Daily Mail. It must be true then!
  • Options
    so no examples of anyone not being allowed to celebrate xmas.

Some stupid 'winterval' from last century but no one stopped from celebrating anything.

Hey, im white, i thought i was englsh but i cant trace my bloodline back 25 generations to the middle ages so im obviously not idigenous enough
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't know why this topic has gone so off topic with all the defintions of indigenousness, Griffin has made it quite clear that his version of 'indigenous Britain' starts with pre-world war 2 where he has this strange illusion of Britain being dominantly white with an unshakable togetherness against the Nazi hordes about to dominate the world, a priviledge the British had reserved for themselves for hundreds of years, this version of Britain couldn't be much further from the truth as there is much evidence of a disjointed sense of Britishness based mainly upon class and an ever increasing intolerance of races from outside Britain, and I'm not just talking about black people....

Griffin's version of post war Utopian Britain was partially dismantled by the catastrophic human casualties and partial destruction of the industrial and residential infrastruture, without the huge immigration of mainly commonwealth citizens this country would have never have recovered at the pace it did...

The failure of Griffin to recognise the contribution made by these immigrants is probably the most discerning part of his insecure diatribe and many grateful 'indigenous' Brits see his intention to 'repatriate' these social heroes as totally immoral and reprehensible...

I have played, lived and worked with black people for over fifty years, I don't look upon them 'foreigners' anymore, they are as British as me and the contribution they have made to make Britain what it is today is as irrerversible as the fact they are here to stay.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Im not sure who US are ? im almost sure its not YOU, but it could be THEM. I know its ok to slag US off but its defo racist to slag THEM off. Most of THEM come here to be US. Maybe when them become US we can slag everyone of THEM off !!!!!!!!

That is quality !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont know if I'm the only one but I see the BNP as an important causal influence on British politics. People masquerade under the mask of what they think is acceptable (especially the BBC) and this is not democratic. I agree with above comments that the BNP have gone too far; they are a vile, hateful and dillusional group of human beings. But one thing they have done is brought to the surface a clearer picture of how Britain as a whole sees the state of a once great nation. I personally felt that Nick Griffin was never going to be allowed a fair say (rightly or wrongly) and that in the end there was little to be gained from the discussion. I also felt that Nick Griffin raised some legitimate points in regards to foreign policy and cultural integration in Britain. I would not vote for the BNP now or in the future, but I do believe that thay have done a positive thing in allowing the public to see democracy in practice. They have widened the political spectrum to include extremist views, and this in turn has allowed great discussion and reflection about how the public view the future of this country. This is surely progression and evolution from the racism that has dogged Britain in the 21st Century, not a movement back towards it.
  • Options
    One in five would back BNP

More than a fifth of voters would consider backing the British National Party in a future election, according to an opinion poll taken in the hours after leader Nick Griffin's appearance on BBC1's Question Time.
    Some 22% of those questioned said they would "seriously consider" voting BNP in a local, European or general election - including 4% who said they would "definitely" consider backing the party, 3% who would "probably" consider it, and 15% who said they were "possible" BNP voters.
    Around two-thirds of those questioned by YouGov for the Daily Telegraph said they would not vote BNP "under any circumstances", with the rest unsure.
    The total figure is more than three times the 6.2% which the BNP secured in this June's European Parliament ballot - its best ever showing in a national election - and suggests that there is substantial potential for Mr Griffin to extend his party's reach. It vastly outstrips the party's 0.7% score in the 2005 general election.
    When asked how they would vote in an election tomorrow, the proportion backing the BNP stood at 3%, up from 2% a month ago.
    More than half of those surveyed agreed with the BNP or thought the party "had a point" in wishing to "speak up for the interests of the indigenous, white British people... which successive governments have done far too little to protect".
    This included 43% who said that they had no sympathy for the BNP itself, though they shared some of its concerns.
    Some 12% of those questioned said they completely agreed with the BNP, against 38% who said they disagreed totally with the party's politics.
    YouGov questioned 1,314 adult voters across Britain online today and last night, following the Question Time broadcast.
  • Options
    What i don't get is plenty of people on here with there big words and clever answers that have all jumped on the P.C bandwagon .
    People are voting for the B.N.p. because they are fed up with feeling like nobody cares for their country, now someone will tell me to define "their country" we all know what i mean . I could not care if you are black yellow or any other colour if you are living in a foreign land I believe you should try to live in harmony with the people of that country, I believe a lot of our M.Ps and our media are making that difficult.

I wonder also how many of the people on C.l and other blog's after watching Griffin on tv are slagging him off are the same people twenty years ago where making monkey noices at the back of the covered end and other places.
  • Options
    People seem to have a problems with the word or definition for indigenous, so replace it with the word majority. Therefore its basically anyone who doesn't describe themselves as a minority. Because if there is no majority how can there be a minority?
  • Options
    SINK
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Colin in Thailand.[/cite]I wonder also how many of the people on C.l and other blog's after watching Griffin on tv are slagging him off are the same people twenty years ago where making monkey noices at the back of the covered end and other places.

20 years ago we were playing our home games at Selhurst Park.
  • Options
    This is in danger of becoming a discussion about semantics.

What's that on the starboard bow?

glug glug glug
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]so no examples of anyone not being allowed to celebrate xmas.

Some stupid 'winterval' from last century but no one stopped from celebrating anything.

Hey, im white, i thought i was englsh but i cant trace my bloodline back 25 generations to the middle ages so im obviously not idigenous enough
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]so no examples of anyone not being allowed to celebrate xmas.

The winterval thing gets an airing every christmas...

There was an article in the Guardian de-bunking it a few years back. Essentially the centre of Birmingham was redeveloped (the area around the Bull Ring) as it was a concrete eyesore. Birmingham council decided to hold an open house that lasted from November into early spring and therefore thought that calling it an Xmas festival was a bit limiting as it would give the impression that the timing was just before/after Xmas when they wanted to highlight the improvements for considerably longer. The Mayor at the time pointed out that there was a big "Happy Christmas" sign on the side of the Town hall, that he signed and sent out Christmas cards with "Happy Christmas" in them and that Christmas was celebrated as normal in the city with decorations, carols, a tree, lights etc.

It's coming up to that season again soon, when the first official whine about Birmingham celebrating winterval will be published in the Daily Mail?
  • Options
    Don't you find it utterly amazing when people bang on about Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-Scandinavian and Anglo-Celtic????? Does anybody have a clue of historically the waves of invasion since Roman times? The Celtic/Gaullic diaspora and civilisation was superseded and conquered starting really with Caesar's invasion and defeat of Vercingetorix. Do you think when it became Roman Gaullia that all the Gaul's became Romans? Do you think when the Romans invaded all the Celts became Roman? Do you think when the Saxons or Normans invaded we all became Saxons or Normans?

Jesus Christ is walking past my window. Modern studies of DNA show that the 'indigenous' people of Briton share DNA which is Basque of origin. WTF about all this Anglo stuff, we've absorbed centuries of differing culures. The indigenous people of this country are Basque let's all go and create a Basque assembly. I am not against Christian caucasian law and custom's remaining integral to society, but if you haven't got a clue about the polyglot nature/history of this country it just goes to prove how wildly innacurate pretty much all the ludicrous innacurate hyperbole that comes out of the BNP. Dear, dear, dear 17,000 years of history?????? Hmmm the Angles and Saxons came after the Romans......... and were the last 'settlers' so we must be Anglo Saxon.

Winterval? No St George flags in Braford? Have you ever been to Bradford? It's a pretty damn racist city but you're a lucky man if you get a Caucasian taxi driver. All this heresay nearly always turns out be rubbish on inspection, or on the odd occassion just some moron poorly interpreting guidelines. Winterval was an attempt to promote the season of different culutres celebration, in order to celebrate the re-modelling of Birmingham city center. They didn't tell the Chinese to celebrate Winterval, they didn't tell the Anglo-Saxons to celebrate Winterval and they didn't tell Hindus to celebrate Winterval. Winterval lasted four months a pretty strange new Xmas eh?

I don't deny the feelings that lead BNP supporters to vote for them. If you live in the poorer parts of town you face the brunt of immigration, and clearly if you visit a place like Barking it ain't a visibly positive influence. In fact if most people saw and lived within that town they'd certainly have some immediate sympathies with BNP supporters' emotions. It's just ashame that those that shout and represent the BNP just about do fuck all in their contribution to British society, but yet they still believe 'their people' should receive state supported housing above all others. There used to be a time when the white working class were politically motivated to positively improve their lot. Now it seems the white working class are only vocally supported in British politics by those that have negative politics from a lobitimised idiot.
  • Options
    Hmmm I wonder why Churchill's plan was called Operational Unthinkable and concluded Britain's chances were 'fancible' at best. And then his general staff told him in no uncertain terms even if the unthinkable happened their was no chance of success. Even during one of his epic amnic phases he must have been champing at his bit to get it on.