Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

France vs RoI

Comments

• Options
    ex Gooner-- french and a cheat , what a surprise.

ROI over the two legs were the better team and deserved to go through. The French not a team just players in positions playing.

The radio last night was stunning, i think every thing was said except ROI invading France !

Maybe now "the hand of God" aint so funny.
  • Options
    Very disappointing to go out like that if i do say so myself.

glad im not going to South Africa now... no atmosphere without all the plastic pads jumping about.
  • Options
    Awful way to lose a key game like that which will define a lot of careers.

Henry might have got them to the WCF but in the long run he will always be known as the bloke who cheated to get them to the Finals, especially in the UK where he was so admired.

Anyone who has ever played knows that once the ball goes above navel height at speed then the only way to stop it is with your hand and that's just what he did.

If I were Richard Dunne I would have knocked the cheating French bastard out when he came over to "console" (patronise) me at the final whistle.

I have no love for the Paddies after their gloating at some of our failures but to have a so called "statesman" of the game do that is a disgrace to him and to the game.

In my view Henry should face some sort of penalty for what he did, he won't of course.
  • Options
    Unlucky Ireland, very nearly their most famous victory and a number of players really outperformed for the cause.

Glad i can just watch a game of football and not be blinkered by stupid political prejudices.
  • Options
    What did people think of Matt's co-commentating... for some reason i thought he sounded like Andy Townsend to start!! Thought he came across well.
  • Options
    Disgraceful decision that done for them but being English shed no tears for the Paddy's going out as I am sure they would not have done if the roles had been reversed.

NO Wales No Scotland No Ireland or Northern Ireland just good ole Engerlannd at the World Cup :-)
  • Options
    oh well never mind,roll on yeovil
  • Options
    Dunne done extremly well not to react, i would not have wanted henry anywhere near me.

As for Platini well he got what he wanted. Spoke to some French family after the game and they know they was outplayed and out fought very muted celebrations in France.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Glad i can just watch a game of football and not be blinkered by stupid political prejudices.

it's just so weird isn't it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bald1[/cite]oh well never mind,roll on yeovil

you wont be on the coach if you carry on dissing the irish...! i may not be on the coach but i can send minders down to have you removed. and oh yes paul told me, tell SH the coach is full! be there early.

right sorry afka dont want to go off topic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ireland were robbed! They were the better team and to lose in the way they did is disgusting. I hope UEFA reconsider France going to the finals but you know they will just say that they can't do anything about it. If it was England or Ireland that did this then UEFA would throw us out of the finals i gurantee it. I hope France now crash and burn out of the group stages and finish last because thats what they deserve!
  • Options
    Curb-it until you just said it was matty i thought it was Townsend !

Why wasnt Reidy playing ? sounds like he is playing like his arse is on fire for Sunderland .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Curb-it until you just said it was matty i thought it was Townsend !

Why wasnt Reidy playing ? sounds like he is playing like his arse is on fire for Sunderland .

yes i only realised till i read on here and then in the second half they said his name.

Reid got in trouble with Trappatoni, late night rousing or something i believe. shame tho, they coudl have done with him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Unlucky Ireland, very nearly their most famous victory and a number of players really outperformed for the cause.

Glad i can just watch a game of football and not be blinkered by stupid political prejudices.

Good point. I was going to respond to a couple of the stupid posts above but seeing your post I have restrained myself.....for the time being.
  • Options
    sorry curbs,just trying to get a reaction and i think it worked,SH told me he is going by train.
  • Options
    great headline AFKA!

can't believe the Sun settled for Le Hand of God - what's the world coming to when even the currant bun is worried about ensuring its headlines are PC!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]funnily enough it doesn't really bother me as much as it seems to do everyone on here , being English and that

no denying that but you didn't seem so impartial in hardys on saturday night, mate.
  • Options
    Its just a football match and we all have our preferences as to who we want to win but resorting to some of the quite blatently offensive posts made by some pathetic individuals above is inappropriate on this site and quite frankly I am surprised it has been tolerated without sanction.
  • Options
    It is not like he punched the ball in.
    It was a handball when trying to control the ball.
    Yes,I would be gutted to go out like that if it was England, but at end of the day they were not even going through at the time. They were drawing on aggregate.
  • Options
    Ahh well, never mind. Im sure we'll (england) have the support of the rest of britain now were the only one's representing in south africa.............rep. ireland, scotland and wales, we look forward to your support and goodwill during the world cup finals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shootershill its best to just ignore it and carry on discussing it peacefully. else it gets sunk and we cant. so just rise above it.

Dec where did you watch last night?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bloodnut[/cite]Ahh well, never mind. Im sure we'll (england) have the support of the rest of britain now were the only one's representing in south africa.............rep. ireland, scotland and wales, we look forward to your support and goodwill during the world cup finals.

I wait with baited breathe.
  • Options
    All those having a go at Henry should probably direct their anger/abuse/whatever at the ref. Henry said afterwards yes it was a handball, i played it, the ref gave it.

If the ref blows for a freekick and books Henry then there's no harm done.

Kevin Doyle said you can't really blame the player as it's an almost instinctive reaction to put your hand out. But you can blame the ref and lino for not doing their jobs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]shootershill its best to just ignore it and carry on discussing it peacefully. else it gets sunk and we cant. so just rise above it.

Dec where did you watch last night?

i played football last night, got home for the second half.

no worries about split loyalties for me in south africa now (i do love both countries, believe it or not).
  • Options
    Henry - admitted yes he handled but no he is not the referee...
  • Options
    pre the hand of the exgoonershitFrenchPosingPrat it was said on TV how ell the ref had done and that the ROI wanted a strong ref and they had got one. Now he is shit ? and how so so so so so so boring that all the pro players have started to say "you cant blame Henry etc instinctive blah blah blah".

He should get a straight 3 match international ban for CHEATING and a 5 match ban for scoring against us every naffing game.
  • Options
    It is no more cheating than a foul in the centre circle that goes unpunished.
    Or claiming a throw in when you know it came off you last.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I recall about 8 years ago watching one of our away games in a pub (can't recall which), and we got ripped by the officials. The replays showed it, there was no debate. I was pretty hacked off, but a lone Irishman, who didn't "support" the oppo had a good old laugh at my pain (in as much of any of them support anybody - they seem to pick whichever top 4 team is at the top of the pile whenever they start liking football and then spend the rest of their lives weaving an elaborate tale about why they picked them - the colour of their shirts, the badge, one of the players hairdos etc - funnily enough it's never Charlton red that attracts their eye, or a Bolton players hair or Hartlepool's natty monkey-badge - but I digress...)

Anyway, I asked the nacker somewhat pointedly exactly what his problem was and he said that I was just being a bad loser, that reffing decisions even themselves out in the long run and "what comes around, goes around". This is largely why I never ever watch football in the pub anymore. Anyway as Henry basketball controlled the ball last night I remembered this man's doughy, smirking face and hoped, as I near pissed myself laughing, that he was as philisophical.

Man I hold a grudge like this bitch.

21-grudge.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Had the linesman had been doing his job properly, he should of had his flag up for offside before Henry used his hands anyway... Had Keane, Doyle and Duff taken their chances, this would never of happened.

The only way is to introduce video replays to assist the referees. The professional game at the top level is far too quick now.

One last thing, had this been on the other foot with Ireland going through after cheating, you can bet you bottom dollar that Michel Platini would be calling for the death penalty, blaming the Premiership for the attitude of players and would be demanding a replay of the game.
    Don't have an opinion on the Spurs/Arsenal slant JB but spot on with all the rest. Having seen the replays and I also thought the lino had a very clear sight of the hand ball and either missed it completely or bottled it. Very poor indeed, let the referee down big time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]All those having a go at Henry should probably direct their anger/abuse/whatever at the ref. Henry said afterwards yes it was a handball, i played it, the ref gave it.

If the ref blows for a freekick and books Henry then there's no harm done.

Kevin Doyle said you can't really blame the player as it's an almost instinctive reaction to put your hand out. But you can blame the ref and lino for not doing their jobs.
    Lino yes, but in this case you're totally wrong re the ref.

He 'does his job' by using positioning as much as anything else. His positioning was exactly as you'd expect so can't be criticised for that. He cannot be in two places at once so will see some, and will miss some - we see it happen dozens of times in every game every week.

Despite the fact the referee was closer the lino had a better view of the incident - great in fact - and ought to have seen it and indicated it. IMO the lino is totally culpable but to play devil's advocate...

I've never officiated at anything approaching that level so I don't know what the officals agree on but the higher level referees I've lined for discuss where they defintely will go with my decision and where their decision is king. Usually this is based on which sector of the pitch an incident happens in and where either is closer. This might have had a big bearing on the lino's thinking last night.