Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

France vs RoI

Comments

• Options
    The commentary last night was probably the most blinkered I've ever heard. At one point with about 10 minutes to go the ball went out for an Irish throw and Hunt, who was warming up "accidentally" knocked it away to waste a bit of time, the commentator was commending him for being "sensible". This was with 10 minutes to go before extra time... When the boot was on the other foot and France took more than 4 microseconds to take a corner when they were a minute away from the World Cup Finals (taking no longer than any pro would to hang onto a result), the whining that came out of him, was a thing of wonder.

I don't mind a partisan commentator (though Houghton was great for the Italy match), but when they're as pathetically blinkered as that, all they're doing is feeding the prejudices of stupid folk that don't understand football.
  • Options
    Cascarino was classic on SSN - spent 5 minutes in a directionless rant to eventually come up with the conclusion that, yes, yes, Henry is the one to blame, and that he should have a good long look at himself as he should've put his hand up and come clean, and he's a disgrace.

Yeah right Tony, like you would've done the same!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]The commentary last night was probably the most blinkered I've ever heard. At one point with about 10 minutes to go the ball went out for an Irish throw and Hunt, who was warming up "accidentally" knocked it away to waste a bit of time, the commentator was commending him for being "sensible". This was with 10 minutes to go before extra time... When the boot was on the other foot and France took more than 4 microseconds to take a corner when they were a minute away from the World Cup Finals (taking no longer than any pro would to hang onto a result), the whining that came out of him, was a thing of wonder.

I don't mind a partisan commentator (though Houghton was great for the Italy match), but when they're as pathetically blinkered as that, all they're doing is feeding the prejudices of stupid folk that don't understand football.

McLovin. one of the commentators was matt holland.
  • Options
    Do you think the ref should have taken into consideration the Irish players reactions? I mean the claims for hanball were immediate and geniune. I think a little common sense could have been used. You could see on Gallas face that he knew they had got away with it.
    I know its not allowed but the ref could have gone over to the lino, had a cheeky look up at the big screen and seen it was hanball ;-)
  • Options
    Regarding blinkered commentary, try watching a rugby international on Irish TV, RTE are anything but fair and balanced.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Cascarino was classic on SSN - spent 5 minutes in a directionless rant to eventually come up with the conclusion that, yes, yes, Henry is the one to blame, and that he should have a good long look at himself as he should've put his hand up and come clean, and he's a disgrace.

Yeah right Tony, like you would've done the same!!!

It took the bloke 25 years to admit he wasnt Irish!
  • Options
    The ref had a good game up until that i thought.

I also thought it was Andy Townsend summarising. Main commentator was fairly annoying.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]The ref had a good game up until that i thought.

I also thought it was Andy Townsend summarising. Main commentator was fairly annoying.
    That was who I was thinking it was. Seemed a bit thick to be Holland, but whoever it was they were awful.
  • Options
    well holland was the co commentator... as stated. on a number of times.
  • Options
    Country is up in arms this morning. Liam Brady is calling for the match be replayed. Injustice is felt not only over the goal but also on FIFA's decsion to seed the playoff draw when it became apparent that certain global superpowers of the game were going to finish 2nd in their group. You cant have a World Cup without "Ronaldo, Henry etc.." It all comes down to money. It feels pretty sick to be Irish today but thought we were fantastic last night and am proud of the players..... And the Trap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Till I Cry[/cite]Country is up in arms this morning. Liam Brady is calling for the match be replayed. Injustice is felt not only over the goal but also on FIFA's decsion to seed the playoff draw when it became apparent that certain global superpowers of the game were going to finish 2nd in their group. You cant have a World Cup without "Ronaldo, Henry etc.." It all comes down to money. It feels pretty sick to be Irish today but thought we were fantastic last night and am proud of the players..... And the Trap.
    The seeding business was very murky. But Brady's got nowhere to go on this. In an inteview on Sky he made it clear that he'd failed to see the incident first time. Half of games would be getting replayed if every dodgy decision lead to a replay each season would take two years to sort out. I'd not fancy replaying Saturday's game, because of Chris's handball.
  • Options
    Was Matt Holland Co commentating?
  • Options
    lol.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    who was the co commentator? he sounded like andy townsend.

on another point - cheating b'stards. haven't liked Terry Henry since he celebrated a goal in front of the tunnel years ago and kicked the corner flag out. horrid cheating man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Regarding blinkered commentary, try watching a rugby international on Irish TV, RTE are anything but fair and balanced.

So what? I think any national broadcaster should commentate on home games favouring the home side or the away side when away. Why should a national broadcaster be impartial?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Regarding blinkered commentary, try watching a rugby international on Irish TV, RTE are anything but fair and balanced.

So what? I think any national broadcaster should commentate on home games favouring the home side or the away side when away. Why should a national broadcaster be impartial?

Good point Chirps!
  • Options
    also, the footage wasn't filmed by sky was it? I thought it was a feed from France. They filmed the crowd when they should have been showing the replays obviously because they know they'd cheated their goal!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin
    The seeding business was very murky. But Brady's got nowhere to go on this. In an inteview on Sky he made it clear that he'd failed to see the incident first time. Half of games would be getting replayed if every dodgy decision lead to a replay each season would take two years to sort out. I'd not fancy replaying Saturday's game, because of Chris's handball.

Your right of course but it's the magnitude of the descion in that it has decided who will be playing in the World Cup which will hopefully be cause for it to carry more weight. Fifa have always looked to maintain a rigourlessly active approach towards Fair Play that all in all everything seemed to be weighted in Frances favour and was at the very least Unfair. No Hope for a replay but I hope peoples eyes are opened towards Fifa's blatent siding towards the teams they wanted through.
  • Options

Each to his own, if you're some mug who has to be told what to think then you obviously are going to prefer a biased commentary. On the other hand I prefer to watch a match and make my own mind up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]also, the footage wasn't filmed by sky was it? I thought it was a feed from France. They filmed the crowd when they should have been showing the replays obviously because they know they'd cheated their goal!

I noticed that Suzi - they were showing replays at all angles for minor incidents almost immediately throughout the match, but when that happened it took ages for them to show it. Maybe to prevent the ref having a sneaky look as suggested by ValleyGary?

BTW, who was the co-commentator?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Each to his own, if you're some mug who has to be told what to think then you obviously are going to prefer a biased commentary. On the other hand I prefer to watch a match and make my own mind up.

Or of course you can listen to what they say and make your own mind up anyway BFR...
  • Options
    Well France are through no shock there then the Irsish aitn British anyway and as i come from London we are closer to Frace so dont really care who won tbh but a world cup with out the french would be strange you guys may hate henry but i dont mind him he plays at an incedilbily high level and has been part of a WC winning team so fair play to him even if the Irish did go through there is onlty one team worth following at the WC ENGLAND f**k Rep of Ireland, N Irealand fair enoguh at least they actually are britsh wereas rep of Ireland are european. So in my view dont care and it appears the better team went
    through anyway.
  • Options
    bugger sports direct theyve sold out of french shirts
  • Options
    Anyway more importantly Sloveinia Kocked out Russia no that is a shock and also one up on them as a former soviet state :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]also, the footage wasn't filmed by sky was it? I thought it was a feed from France. They filmed the crowd when they should have been showing the replays obviously because they know they'd cheated their goal!

Also, the director was making his opinion clear via the pictures by keep focusing on Benzema on the bench before swiftly cutting to the French boss. Several times.
  • Options
    here comes rupert...
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]So in my view dont care and it appears the better team went
    through anyway.

on the night - they didn't - thats the point! they were outplayed for the majority of the match.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]it appears the better team went through anyway.

The French have been terrible over the qualifying campaign.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]here comes rupert...

Aye im here my friend ready to get kanned for having my different views lol i just dont catre about any international side byut England im a Londoner and do not give two pins about the Irish or the french both nations suckm in comparisson to the great that is ENGLAND and im not talking UK im very patriotic and only have time for England when it comes to UK based footie teams so will maintian the view of f**k the world England number 1 :-)