Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

B-mob/Cockney Firestarters

Comments

• Options
    TEL said:

The thing that tends to get overlooked from the 60's and 70's is the fact that anyone deemed to be from the opposition was fair game, so you really couldn't avoid getting involved and it evolved into the latter organised firms. As Soundas said earlier, you defended your territory and then took it away and basically took the piss on someone elses patch and it was usually very spontaneous unlike the organised tear ups from the late 80's to date of which I didn't have any involvement in. It's part of our heritage and shouldn't be swept under the table by the pc brigade, but then again I guess you have to have been there to understand it and feel the buzz. I was standing on Embankment station recently and I was recounting a punch up on the stairs with Chelsea back in the 70's we were on our way back from Fulham the train had been stuck in the tunnel due to a bomb scare. It's something from the dim and distant past rekindled 30 odd years later but for me all part of growing up following Charlton.

I'm telling the ADU your a hooligan!!! :-)
  • Options
    Rob said:

I remember back in the late 60's, very early 70's there was an away coach called the 'agro' coach. It certainly wasn't of the Lewis variety. It used to leave the Valley at about 11pm and I remember tagging along sometimes and going to places such as Blackpool, Cardiff, Boro, Hudders. Bunch of nutters on it. I was15 at the time and a 'hanger on' who would hide behind the coat tails of every one else. :-) Loved the adrenaline rush though. I think the Henry Irving thing kind of spawned from this era.

My ex brother-in-law was involved in some of that stuff...got nicked in Blackpool for nicking a mink coat....he actually walked out of the boutique wearing it.
  • Options
    Heard of fire starters as well as the others. Theres a book on London firms that has a couple of pages on these 2. Can't remember who by. Fire starters allegedly called thus because of a habit of going away and setting fire to 'corner' shops. Believe they where mostly east stand of what I've heard
  • Options
    Stick Cov and Man City in the 'list'...

Not bad for little old Charlton the family club!
  • Options
    Hull City at Boothferry Park back in 80/81. If I remember the train station had turnstiles directly into the home end. I think all the Charlton fans there were in the wrong part of the ground.
  • Options

Believe they where mostly east stand of what I've heard

Yeah, definitely East Stand. They were always tearing up & down with their thermos flasks & bags of peanuts :-)
  • Options
    TEL said:

The thing that tends to get overlooked from the 60's and 70's is the fact that anyone deemed to be from the opposition was fair game, so you really couldn't avoid getting involved and it evolved into the latter organised firms. As Soundas said earlier, you defended your territory and then took it away and basically took the piss on someone elses patch and it was usually very spontaneous unlike the organised tear ups from the late 80's to date of which I didn't have any involvement in. It's part of our heritage and shouldn't be swept under the table by the pc brigade, but then again I guess you have to have been there to understand it and feel the buzz. I was standing on Embankment station recently and I was recounting a punch up on the stairs with Chelsea back in the 70's we were on our way back from Fulham the train had been stuck in the tunnel due to a bomb scare. It's something from the dim and distant past rekindled 30 odd years later but for me all part of growing up following Charlton.

Tel knows.
    It's like a social history of supporting Charlton during the 70's. Helping and being helped by people you were just on nodding terms with during lively moments stick in the memory. Nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

TEL said:

I'm telling the ADU your a hooligan!!! :-)
    :-) Talk to Possie, he's the biggest Hooli I know lol

And Eel was in B Mob, he can tell a tale or two.

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited October 2012

Tel knows.
    It's like a social history of supporting Charlton during the 70's. Helping and being helped by people you were just on nodding terms with during lively moments stick in the memory. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Thats actually spot on......Most of the Welling lads were mates of mine and we used to meet up in Danson Park with some blokes from Eltham, other than that they were just people we saw at games as Baldy says on nodding terms with.

• Options
    Just read up about the "maze hill clash" the stories on here are like a different world to what I experience from footie matches now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just read up about the "maze hill clash" the stories on here are like a different world to what I experience from footie matches now.

Ive just read a bit myself. I didnt realise the Teacher fella was just an keyboard warrior as the various reports suggest. Id always been under the impression he was a Southampton bloke living up north. Funny that theres a Wikipedia page devoted to it.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_Maze_Hill

• Options
    mmm bit different from our day Tel

It was rather hairy that day on the tube train coming back from Fulham ... lots of covered enders involved ... but we acquited ourselves well ... remember the walk through the City on the way back from somewhere, Southend I think?
  • Options
    That Wikipedia entry is one of the most laughable things I've ever read. Next time I get promoted at work, or eat a pleasant meal in a new restaurant, or take a semi-interesting train journey somewhere I think I'll write a thousand word wiki article on it.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Ive just read a bit myself. I didnt realise the Teacher fella was just an keyboard warrior as the various reports suggest. Id always been under the impression he was a Southampton bloke living up north. Funny that theres a Wikipedia page devoted to it.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_Maze_Hill

Dave Walker (teacher) was not a keyboard warrior, was known on the England scene, and at Saints, but he was not a main face/player, wasnt at the incident (I was) as he did live in the midlands, was key in the arrangements at Maze Hill, which, incidently goes back to saints away in Nov 2001 and bullying/libertys taken by saints lads in a boozer (but they came unstuck even with superior numbers), Maze Hill was April 2002, and was their doing/initiative as they felt they had to save face due to the Nov game at St Marys.
  • Options
    PS...that Wikepedia entry is a joke, take it from the horses mouth, there was never any England battle plans for the Euros, BT police and newspapers wetting themselves.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

PS...that Wikepedia entry is a joke, take it from the horses mouth, there was never any England battle plans for the Euros, BT police and newspapers wetting themselves.

I remember are last season in the championship did the same thing happened with Southampton? Because I went to the st marys and it kicked off down their.
  • Options

DA9 said:

I remember are last season in the championship did the same thing happened with Southampton? Because I went to the st marys and it kicked off down their.
    When the away fans came out they were all waiting outside for us.
    I remember a LOT of them were there. But I don't think you can link that to the maze hill situation as plenty of "scarfers" were amongst those waiting.
    I'm led to believe they do that to away fans every so often for a laugh.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

DA9 said:

When the away fans came out they were all waiting outside for us.
    I remember a LOT of them were there. But I don't think you can link that to the maze hill situation as plenty of "scarfers" were amongst those waiting.
    I'm led to believe they do that to away fans every so often for a laugh.
    I thought we played them in December that year and there was a fight at the Valley and when we went down in April that happened as a result, i think it was a bit more of a scare tatic as are bus got bricked and the buses had to go two different ways back to the car park just in case the Southampton fans caught up with one.
  • Options
    There was also an incident at the Lib in recent years.

I don't think it relates to Maze Hill.

Just a bunch of yokels who think they are up and coming hoolies but in reality are a group of c**ts.
  • Options
    the southampton away game was one of the most embarrasing moments of following charlton. having to be marched down to the ground by OB surrounded by our 'yoof'. all i did was walk into the wrong pub pre-match. @JT i think was there as well. all very poor mans football factory #cringe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are bus was held back for about 45 mins as the police had to get rid off the Southampton fans, the funniest part was when they were giving it large and throwing things, the police got the dogs and released them I have never seen people run so fast in my life! Idiots.
  • Options

There was also an incident at the Lib in recent years.

I don't think it relates to Maze Hill.

Just a bunch of yokels who think they are up and coming hoolies but in reality are a group of c**ts.

It was linked, although the saints lads we know were called and asked what happened and why phone calls were not made etc (as is the way), they knew nothing of it but said it was their youth trying to make a name as they had heard a few of our lads xdrank in there
  • Options
    OUR
  • Options
    was malcom tuck a main face down southampton DA9? looked about 12 and four stone,should be done for child cruelty hitting that child
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited October 2012

the southampton away game was one of the most embarrasing moments of following charlton. having to be marched down to the ground by OB surrounded by our 'yoof'. all i did was walk into the wrong pub pre-match. @JT i think was there as well. all very poor mans football factory #cringe

Yeah that was a bit much. OB just gathering up anyone.
  • Options
    nolly said:

was malcom tuck a main face down southampton DA9? looked about 12 and four stone,should be done for child cruelty hitting that child

Not really, hanger on we were led to believe, very sad story with Malcolm, we (group of saints and CAFC) in nick had his back a few times due to bullying, once they knew we were backing him up they left him alone, he died suddenly a couple of years back, big shock.

• Options
    good man, sad to hear that
  • Options
    "professional football hooligans"-------------well at least its a job.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

• Options
    edited October 2012