Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liverpool & Shelvey

Comments

• Options
    I have not seen him do a lot in a charlton shirt,. Steve Dowman.......

Sorry, do not agree here Steve, . His performance in the Norwich cup game , he was clearly not only the best player , but made the other Charlton players look very ordinary.

For a lad who was 17 at the time his vision and skill were exceptional. He may have stalled at times last season towards the end of his time at Charlton , but the lad was learning his craft, and as I mentioned on here before I was very sad to see him go, but go he has, and wish him well!. The lad appeared to outrun everyone on the park, so his effort and willingness to the cause cannot really be questioned...... unlike some players a couple of years back who frankly were inept and gave the impression they could not wait to get out of the ground.......

I look forward to seeing him in the Liverpool team, and doing well..
  • Options
    The main problem i had with Shelvey is that no one really knew where his best position was..personally, i think it was centre midfield, his home debut v Coventry i have never seen an "teenager" dominate a game like that before, even Jon-Jo said himself that his best position/favourite was centre mid, Parky wanted him to play the "Gerrard role".
  • Options
    Watching him for the u19s last month he played the gerrard role box to box superb passing bar one or two passes. His shooting boots were not on that night until he had the freekick and he peached it into the top corner.

Everytime he played a pass or made a run put in a block ray clemence and tremor booking were beaming ear to ear writing what he had just done into a book. He may not get to the heights as quickly as some but when he gets there he will stay there.

We will all look back and say if only we were not in the 3rd division when he was here.

If we were a premier team with better quality players he would be playing week in week out.

It took parker a while it was not until he came back from on loan did we see the best of parker

Lee bowyer was only a fraction of the player he turned into when we had him.

It grates me to my core to know we will never see the best of jonjo shelvey unless it is on the tv or against us oneday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]It grates me to my core to know we will never see the best of jonjo shelvey unless it is on the tv or against us oneday

Exactly how I feel. We can rationalise it, say it was for the greater good of the club, etc.

Heaven knows, I've had 40 odd years to get used to this. But somehow this one hurts me more than most.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]It grates me to my core to know we will never see the best of jonjo shelvey unless it is on the tv or against us oneday

Exactly how I feel. We can rationalise it, say it was for the greater good of the club, etc.

Heaven knows, I've had 40 odd years to get used to this. But somehow this one hurts me more than most.

But doesn't your 40 years of experience also tell you that even if we were in the Prem. we would never have seen the best of Jonjo in a charlton shirt? Yes it would have been great to see him mature and I take great pride in our ex youth players footballing abilities. Hopefully unlike Bow or Parker we will see Jonjo in more than a few England shirts.
  • Options
    i'd say we saw the best of parker and that was in a charlton shirt
  • Options
    Parker, rob lee, Scott minto all played their best football with us
  • Options
    don't think robert lee did , he played great stuff for us but improved imo at the toon
  • Options
    John Barnes was at his peak in a charlton shirt and often recalls his time at the valley as the pinnacle of his illustrious career. (not factual)
  • Options
    best we saw of an england player was chris bart williams fact
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Francis Jeffers surely
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]I must agree with some of the comments about jj above. I have not seen him do a lot in a charlton shirt, [/quote]

Strange. I must have got completely the wrong impression. I only saw him in five games over the Xmas period and he scored twice (Swindon & Wycombe) and looked the best player on the pitch to me. With Jonjo playing I was always expecting something exciting to happen. Whether it be a long range shot, defence splitting pass or a cooly taken goal from inside the area. In fact in that short period he produced far more than any other player on the park.
    Unfortunately he then misplaced a pass in the Orient home game, the boo boys got going and that was the end of Jonjo in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]
    [cite]
    Unfortunately he then misplaced a pass in the Orient home game, the boo boys got going and that was the end of Jonjo in a Charlton shirt.

God thats just's depressed me big time...

Move on Jon quick.... Move on... Gonna open a beer...
  • Options
    Jonjo was our best player and because of his attitude and the way he went I'll always keep an eye out for him. But he is no longer our player we have to move on.
  • Options
    Liverpool fans on 606 all want Shelvey to start tonight. Really hope he does.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Liverpool fans on 606 all want Shelvey to start tonight. Really hope he does.

He would probably have started for us if we were playing Northampton in the Carling Cup. You'd think it's a fair bet that he will play tonight.
  • Options
    I guess Uncle will know if Shelvey is playing tonight or not but the Liverpool side tonight is rumoured to be:

Jones
    Kelly Kyrgiakos Agger Wilson
    Pacheco Spearing Lucas Jovanovic
    Babel Ngog
  • Options
    I'm only saying I never saw enough of him last season to form an opinion, though when he did play he never really stood out to me. Though by the sound of it I missed his games when he did well as was not at norwich in the cup, or wycombe and swindon games. Would love to see him do well, sad as well, but a good boost for the status of the academy. Didn't think much of the players Liverpool bought on ahead of him in the Europe game so hope he gets a good run tonight.
  • Options
    I will let you know just waiting for uncle to say if i can post it
  • Options
    Jonjo is Sub tonight but will be playing at some stage
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shelvey will not start tonight . FACT

Hodson doesn't like/rate him but as its the Carling Cup he will probaably have to put him on the bench.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Shelvey will not start tonight . FACT

Hodson doesn't like/rate him but as its the Carling Cup he will probaably have to put him on the bench.

He doesn't like him or rate him yet wanted to sign him for Fulham when he was there...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Parker had to get in front of far better players than we have now and yes, Shelvey is obviously a talent and no, he didn't boss games and yes, he did only have flashes. Not saying Parky and Pardew have been good for us but lets face it they and they're coaching staff would be far better placed than you to know of his effectiveness and neither of them made him a mainstay in the Charlton side.

Parker also had the advantage of playing in a Curbs team that played with decent shape. We are forever debating the short-comings of our midfielders without realising this is what Parky's sides lack. If Scotty played in todays side we'd be bemoaning how lazy and ineffective he's become since leaving us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Shelvey will not start tonight . FACT

Golfie yet again you are talking cacka

See the post above you he is on the bench tonight but has been told he will play some part in the game.

Hogson tried to sign him twice when at Fulham please get your info right when you post such twaddle
  • Options
    If hodgson rated him he would be starting tonight and would have come on instead of the no marks that did last week. Hope he gets a break as if he is as good as seems he may break into 1st team this season and the £47.50 could be heading into CAFC's coffers sooner than thought.
  • Options
    the boy is at liverpool for pitys sake hardly going to walk into the team,complete diffrent gravy compared to what we have at the club at the moment. be happy for him.
  • Options
    I am and hope he makes it, not running him down, just saying I never saw anything at Charlton that warranted the eulogies I have heard so far, and sticking up for parky (though I dont rate him) and his reasons for not playing him last season.
  • Options
    was replying to the general view really,think playing with that dross week in week out at charlton would hinder any chance of seeing his best at ours.
  • Options
    too true, he always looked like he had something about him, but for whatever reason never really did it at ours, as you say probably those around him, which probably makes Parkies comments to him pretty honest really. As mentioned by others, it might have been easier for him to come into our team when we had prem players all over the park, not only might they anticipate his thoughts, but they would be better able to cover the weaknesses a player of that age will invariably have.
  • Options
    I thought his best games for us were his home and away debuts, orient away and a game where he linked up with Bouazza who scored form some neat inter play. But as a young lad he showed he had the potential and hopefully he will be enabled at Liverpool, although would have preferred him top be nurtured as a Wenger prodigy.