Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

The squad to retain the Ashes has been announced.

Andrew Strauss (capt, Middlesex)
Alastair Cook (vice-capt) (Essex)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Paul Collingwood (Durham)
Steven Davies (wkt) (Surrey)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Monty Panesar (Sussex)
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)
Matt Prior (wkt) Sussex)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Tremlett (Surrey)
Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)

Thoughts? Predictions?

Comments

• Options
    Just seen Tremlett in Oxford Street, wished him well ...
  • Options
    Pleased for Pansesar, bowled very well this season, will probably play with Swann if it is a bunsen. Tremlett will be about in with a shout if Anderson or Finn lose form. I think Morgan will miss out to Bell for the final batting spot, Trott is nailed on number 3.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We have a very strong generation of English cricketers at the moment and I think we have a very good chance of retaining The Ashes out there. Can not wait!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]We have a very strong generation of English cricketers at the moment

Do we? Half the team is South African!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Pleased for Pansesar, bowled very well this season, will probably play with Swann if it is a bunsen. Tremlett will be about in with a shout if Anderson or Finn lose form. I think Morgan will miss out to Bell for the final batting spot, Trott is nailed on number 3.

No chance Morgan missing out imo he is a must!

England to lose 3-1
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]We have a very strong generation of English cricketers at the moment

Perhaps I should rephrase! We have a very strong generation of cricketers eligible to play for England at the moment. Strauss and Pietersen are virtually English anyway, especially Strauss.

I think Treadwell should have made it in there instead of Panesar.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Perhaps I should rephrase! We have a very strong generation of cricketers eligible to play for England at the moment. Strauss and Pietersen are virtually English anyway, especially Strauss.

I know, it was tongue in cheek anyway.

But i think the Aussies will win 2 or 3-1. Our ability to collapse will be our downfall.
  • Options
    it will be close but can't see us winning, Morgan has to bat ahead of Bell, 3-1 defeat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Pleased for Pansesar, bowled very well this season, will probably play with Swann if it is a bunsen. Tremlett will be about in with a shout if Anderson or Finn lose form. I think Morgan will miss out to Bell for the final batting spot, Trott is nailed on number 3.

No chance Morgan missing out imo he is a must!

England to lose 3-1

Still unsure of Morgan at test level, I know he is a world class one day player. In 8 test innings he has scored 256 runs, 130 of them coming in one innings against Bangladesh.
  • Options
    Can't see us losing. Asutralia are not the force they were a few years ago. We're not right in every department and I don't see us winning the series without losing a match. But I am very, very sure we'll be retaining the Ashes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Can't see us losing. Asutralia are not the force they were a few years ago. We're not right in every department and I don't see us winning the series without losing a match. But I am very, very sure we'll be retaining the Ashes.[/quote]

I'm with Chizz on this. I think the series will be decided by the bowlers and even in aussie conditions, I think we have a better attack. The Aussie bowling attack is average, certainly not what it was with Warne, McGrath and Lee.

I fancy England to win 3-1.
  • Options
    Morgan has to be in. He's still very young, but really talented. And Irish...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Morgan has to be in. He's still very young, but really talented. And Irish...
    He's in the squad and I am sure he'll be in the team for every test.
  • Options
    I agree, he is very talented, but he was given two test series this summer to nail a lower order spot and I think he failed. I really hope he makes the step up and scores a ton of runs, but I think come Brisbane Bell we have that extra batting spot.
  • Options
    I think the squad is excellent.

The batting pretty much picks itself, once you decide that Strauss and Cook open. The middle order batsmen will be chosen from the four which beat Pakistan, plus Bell.

Prior will keep, unless they prefer a left-handed batter to keep wicket.

Finn, Broad and Anderson are all tall enough bowlers to hit the deck, with Tremlett offering cover for any of them. I think Bresnan will be doing lots of bowling in the warm ups and the nets, but not much else (which is a pity, as he could make a good bowling all-rounder).

Swann's the best spinner in the world, so will obviously be picked. The only issue I have is with Panesar. I would have gone with Tredwell as the second spinner in the squad. The reason being that the squad needs a spinner who can bat a bit as a potential replacement for Swann if he breaks down. But if we go with two spinners (probably only in Sydney), we can call up Panesar from the development squad (also touring in Australia), in the knowledge that he'd have had a lot of overs in proper matches, instead of spending days tossing up half-volleys in the nets for Pieterson and others.
  • Options
    I think the benefit of picking Panesar gives you something different, as opposed to picking another off spinner in Tredders, even though Tredwell offers more with the bat.
  • Options
    Tredwell is a million miles away from being a Test class off-spinner, especially in Australia where off-spinners have never done that well.

The crucial thing for England will be in getting enough runs on the board to put Australia under pressure, they really need Strauss, Trott and Pietersen (the three best batsmen) to have massive series' and to each get 450+ runs over the five games.

Anderson will have no effect on the series at all, the Kookaburra does not swing and he will be fodder in Australian conditions, just like he was last time over here.

Tremlett, Finn and Broad could be a useful seam attack with Swann providing the spinning option - but I still feel we are a bowler short so I would like to see us play Bresnan as well and push Prior to 6 and Broad at 7.

My XI would be

Strauss
    Cook
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Prior
    Broad
    Bresnan
    Swann
    Tremlett
    Finn
  • Options
    Panesar should be ahead of Tredwell in selection terms. Monty has 126 Test wickets, has won matches for England and has a fivefor in Australia on the last tour. Bear in mind that he offers something different to both Tredwell and Swann, being right-handed they spin the ball into the batsman, Monry being left-handed spins it away. If England picked two spinners for one match then you want that variation.

I'd have selected Shahzad for Bresnan on the grounds that he provides cover for Anderson, Tremlett is similar to Broad and Finn. not just in height but in terms of style. If Anderson gets injured we need a swing bowler and currently he's replacement will mean that England will go into a Test with Broad, Finn and Tremlett as their three seam bowlers.

And Bell is a better Test batsman at the moment than Morgan.

Team for Brisbane: Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Colly, Bell, Prior, Swann, Broad, Finn, Anderson.

All being well the team for Brisbane
  • Options
    This is the most confident I have felt with a test squad going to Australia in my lifetime.

I agree with BFR, Monty can turn the ball in the opposite direction and has done it in test cricket but I doubt he will play and I don't think we will play two spinners even in Syndney to be honest. So I would rather we put Tredwell in the squad as back up to Swann (if he gets hurt we will be truly f#cked)

Ian Bell is before Morgan for me, and Anderson should start and have faith put in him. He has the correct attitude to tour Australia and not give up no matter how little swing a branded ball gives
  • Options
    There's more to Anderson's game these days, in the past if it didn't swing there was no plan B, except to concede a lot of runs and disappear into the outfield, where for a fast bowler he's a surpringly good fielder.

In non-helpful conditions or when the Kookaburra is around 30 overs old (whichever comes sooner) you can expect him to keep it tight, which hasn't always been the case in the past. The key to England winning the Ashes will be Anderson/Broad getting a wicket or two with the new ball and Swann continuing his great form of the last few years. Swann bowls a very Australian line - outside off and sharply spinning it in, and that is the right tactic on those wickets. Another reason to take Pansar is that the only weakness that Swann has as a bowler is that he can't bowl the doosra. England also have to protect Finn. As a novice fast bowler you can expect the Aussies to go after him, especially in the warm-up matches. He needs to be used in short spells and to bowl an on or just outside off stump line while pitching the ball up a tad further than in English conditions and he needs to have a third man. If Strauss captains him well he could surprise the Aussies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think Finn will suffer or be found out like that, something about him tells me he has the right sort of temperment for playing Australia in Australia.

I have a feeling our bowling attack is balanced very well with a decent batting spine more so than it has been for a long time
  • Options
    Australia are almost certainly using the two tests against India as a warm-up for the Ashes. So it's very pleasing to see Ricky Ponting achieving his 14th run out in Tests. He's now the clear record holder.
  • Options
    So, Australia have failed to regain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, thanks to throwing away the First Test v India. (Whereas England have warmed up for the Ashes by winning six series this Summer).
  • Options
    Im still worried about the convicts at home.Im still wondering how a cricket ball swung so much this Summer,wonder if the manufacturing process had changed since even the test match balls are made in India or so Ive been told.A Kookurburra ball is a different animal so I can see why weve gone with the 6foot 5 plus attack.Our batsmen worry the life out of me,Strauss is in good nick,Cook will be found out,Trott will need to score heavily after that a spectacular collapse could be our downfall.2-1 or 3-1 to the Aussies.
  • Options
    Cook's problem is that he doesn't get forward enough - tending to shuffle forward and get caught on the crease. Against a moving ball he's often in no-man's land and compensates by shoving his hands at the ball, consequently he plays away from his body a bit too much and when the ball moves late he's in position to play a shot - hence the number of soft dismissals caught behind/in the slip cordon or LBW. In Australia in theory that shouldn't be such a problem as the ball doesn't move so much but does bounce and playing back allows to hit a rising ball off his legs through mid-wicket/square leg. It's Trott who I think has the poorer technique for Australian wickets - commendably he plays in line with the ball, but isn't so good playing back. Many of his runs are scored off the front foot - will he get an oportunity to get as far forward as he does in British conditions? I think the Aussies will try and pin him on the back foot. That said he has admirable temperament and can be relied on to hang around even when things aren't going his way.
  • Options
    So, in the second Test v India, Australia must have been feeling really confident, having reduced India to 38-2 after 10 overs.

(After 100 overs, it's 346-2).
  • Options
    India beat Australia by seven wickets in the 2nd test. The loss pushes Australia down to fifth in the Test rankings, one place below England going into next month's Ashes.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what conclusions I'd draw from this series. India are difficult to beat at home, and Australia made them work for both wins. The first was by one wicket when Australia let a winning position slip through their fingers - India needed 80 runs with two wickets left. The second was a bit more clear cut, but again it wasn't all one way. India took a narrow lead into the second innings and then capitalised when Australia lost a few quick and cheap wickets.

On this I'd say the way to beat Australia is not through brilliant cricket (though that will help) but through relentless pressure, the Ashes could well be won by the team that wants it the most and is prepared to put the graft in when it's needed, good old fashioned Test cricket in other words.
  • Options
    I'm going down there in November/December - but I'm going to melbourne, and leaving a fortnight before xmas so will miss the Boxing Day test at the MCG. Boooo!

I am, however, there for a four day game against Victoria, so at least I'll get to see that
  • Options
    England to win the Series 20%
    Australia to Win 50%
    Series Draw 30%