Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Loving the Aussie commentary - Taylor has just said it must be dress-up day at the Gabba - the Aussie fans have come dressed as plastic chairs :)

Michael Vaughan made exactly the same comment on TMS...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Harris and Bollinger added to the Aussie squad for the next test.

Bit surprised that Peter George hasn't been added. He's just taken 9-93 in a State game and got Strauss, Cook & Trott out for South Australia in the warm up game.

He didn't, his figures were 0/135 off 33 overs and he scored 0 and 4, neither did he do a great deal in his one Test, plus he has got jug ears. I'd love him to play, but then I'm English. Also in his last Shield match before this Test Mitchell Johnson took five wickets and scored a hundred for WA but bowled, batted and fielded like a plank.

Bollinger will surely come into the side - which one of Johnson or Hilfenhaus gets dropped I don't know. Bollinger is a left-arm over and that neatly replaces Johnson, but dropping Johnson weakens their batting (at least on paper) and lengthens the tail. The third Test is at his home ground and the WACA should suit his style of bowling, but if you aren't accurate and bowl that round arm slinging delivery you aren't likely to get much bounce on a trampoline let alone the WACA. Dropping Hilfenhaus looks more sensible to me - other than getting Strauss out in the first innings he did nothing of any note in the Test and wasted three new balls.

Ryan Harris is an interesting choice, at 31 he's a bit late to be making a splash in Test cricket and in two Tests to date - both against NZ he has 9 wickets and averages 30 in first class cricket, hardly outstanding. More to the point at 5ft 10 I don't think he'll get a lot out of the Adeliade wicket which tends to play low'n'slow.
  • Options
    I love Mitchell Johnson, hope I'm wrong & they don't drop him. Loved his wide that went for 4 :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Loving the Aussie commentary - Taylor has just said it must be dress-up day at the Gabba - the Aussie fans have come dressed as plastic chairs :)

Michael Vaughan made exactly the same comment on TMS...

So did Sky Sports an hour or so after Vaughan made it. Some guy tweeted it to Vaughan, and it seems to have made its way around all the media networks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]I love Mitchell Johnson, hope I'm wrong & they don't drop him. Loved his wide that went for 4 :-)

I was right, they have dropped him. Not sure who comes in though.
  • Options
    Doug the Rug replaces Johnson.

It looks like Hilfenhaus will be dropped too - presumably for Ryan Harris.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Doug the Rug replaces Johnson.

It looks like Hilfenhaus will be dropped too - presumably for Ryan Harris.

Risky move bringing Harris in, everyone in cricket circles here in Brisbane knows that his knee is buggered and they have to pretty much patch him up and push him out there "Flintoff Style" for most games.

Whether he can get through two big bowling stints on an Adelaide featherbed is very much in doubt.

Hilfenhaus actually has a very good record at the Adelaide Oval, so its a risk to drop him.
  • Options
    Hilfenhaus is reported to be carrying an injury - a hamstring strain, so the move might be forced on them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Hilfenhaus is reported to be carrying an injury - a hamstring strain, so the move might be forced on them.

If I were a bowler I would definitely pick up a convenient hamstring strain at Adelaide - the average 1st Innings score at that place over the last 20 years has been around 470, according to todays papers.

Not exactly Headingley in April.
  • Options
    Australia team
    SM Katich, SR Watson, RT Ponting*, MJ Clarke, MEK Hussey, MJ North, BJ Haddin†, XJ Doherty, PM Siddle, RJ Harris, DE Bollinger

England team
    AJ Strauss*, AN Cook, IJL Trott, KP Pietersen, PD Collingwood, IR Bell, MJ Prior†, SCJ Broad, GP Swann, JM Anderson, ST Finn

Australia have won the toss and are batting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need to use this new ball effectively right from the start and take a couple of early wickets... the pitch and conditions suggest it could be a long hard slog in the field otherwise

Come on Jimmy, Steven and Stuart... let's have every ball on the money!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]We need to use this new ball effectively right from the start and take a couple of early wickets... the pitch and conditions suggest it could be a long hard slog in the field otherwise

This.

Can see this being another long day if we don't get a couple of early wickets with the new ball.
  • Options
    Australia have a long tail with Bollinger, their top seven are pretty decent, but the other four and very average with the bat and Bollinger is in the ferret class as a batsman.
  • Options
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuckin 'ave it! What a throw!
  • Options
    Absolute fucking dreamland!!!!
  • Options
    Katich run out...

One down.
  • Options
    AUSSIES 0-2 !!
  • Options
    See ya later Ponting! Anderson getting some swing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]We need to use this new ball effectively right from the start and take a couple of early wickets... the pitch and conditions suggest it could be a long hard slog in the field otherwise

Happy?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Katich must be fuming to be run out without facing a ball at Adelaide
  • Options
    Solid enough start I think WSS

;-)
  • Options
    Unbelievable!!! Come on England!
  • Options
    Clarke gone! This is amazing
  • Options
    YOU COULDN'T MAE IT UP!!!!

My head is going to explode!
  • Options
    I did say how well Anderson bowled at the Gabba...
  • Options
    too good to be true!!!
  • Options
    2-3. Bloody hell!
  • Options
    Happy days, very happy I stayed off the tramadol today so I could stay awake!!!
  • Options
    Love it. Now lets hammer them into the ground!!