Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

Comments

• Options
    Really thought Cook might have gone on for a century. Need the tail to do a fair bit now.
  • Options
    In trouble now, Siddle on a hat trick
  • Options
    Bloody Aussies !

211-7............
  • Options
    and all out....didnt even bat the whole of the 1st day!!

will just about take 260 after the hat-trick I thought we wouldnt make 200!
  • Options
    woke up this morning and nothing changes when we play in aus.
  • Options
    lets not start panicking yet. the aussies are immense at the gabba and a 5 test series is certainly not decided on the first day.
  • Options
    We started the last two home series badly and went on to win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cannot say I'm surprised, all the Cricket Experts we have on this board all seemed very confident of easily winning series, very few took into account how woeful we are when we play over there. This is the Poorest Aussie side we are likely to play in a while in their own backyard, still we only need to play out 5 draws to retain ashes :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Cannot say I'm surprised, all the Cricket Experts we have on this board all seemed very confident of easily winning series
    Did they? I don't remember many 5-0, 4-0 or 4-1 predictions in the 'Ashes predictions' thread. Most of them were 2-1 - I hardly think that counts as being confident of 'easily winning' the Ashes.
  • Options
    Disagree with you there Ketters, I think people on here were confident but I don't think they were confident of easily winning. To win a series over there is extremely tough but I think people have been pointing out that on recent form this is one of the best chances we will have.

However I'm sure one of our Aus based Addicks pointed out before that the criminals hardly ever lose at the Gabba so even on current form this will be a tough opener to the series.

I'm still confident that with our bowling attack and their batting we can get them out for a nice total. There we go I have jinxed it for all of us now!
  • Options
    Let's also not forget that the Aussies, in the last Ashes series, had a decent start on a number of occasions and then a collapse:

73-0, 160 ao
    217-2, 348 ao
    85-0, 263 ao
    103-2, 215 ao

In the recent two match series (which the Aussies lost 2-0) the story was much the same:

87-0, 192 ao
    58-0, 223 ao

Like us, their middle order can be brittle and it is no longer a question of who will get a big score for them but whether someone will.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Cannot say I'm surprised, all the Cricket Experts we have on this board all seemed very confident of easily winning series
    Did they? I don't remember many 5-0, 4-0 or 4-1 predictions in the 'Ashes predictions' thread. Most of them were 2-1 - I hardly think that counts as being confident of 'easily winning' the Ashes.

They said 2-1 did they? The thread I was looking at had more saying 3-1 or greater with only 2 our of 18 predicting an Aussie Series win full stop. Hope your not going to be this Grumpy everytime England have a shit day therwise could be a long Winter.
  • Options
    Day one of thirty possible days of cricket and it went to Australia and more specifically Peter Siddle.

Positives:
    Bell, Cook, KP.
    Negatives:
    Several wickets thrown away with rash shots and failure to make the most of the toss.

England should have scored ca 350 on that track, so they've underperformed by around 90 runs, though that's relative to the total that Australia post.

I'd expect the wicket to get a little quicker from here and while that could help some of the Australian stroke makers it should assist our pace bowlers. I'd have liked a wicket before the close but that's life. A quick wicket tomorrow morning and it could change things.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Cannot say I'm surprised, all the Cricket Experts we have on this board all seemed very confident of easily winning series

They said 2-1 did they? The thread I was looking at had more saying 3-1 or greater with only 2 our of 18 predicting an Aussie Series win full stop. Hope your not going to be this Grumpy everytime England have a shit day therwise could be a long Winter.
    LOL - you thought that was 'grumpy'? That response was positively bloody cheerful for me! :o)
  • Options
    Saw the whole days play. Reckon we are about 100 short, but you never know.

Positives for the rest of the series :-

Siddle apart, their attack looked distinctly average.

Siddle 9 - bowled very well
    Hilfenhaus 6 - average
    Doherty 6 - average (although decent for a 1st Test)
    Johnson 4.5 - like Harmison in later years, but not at his worst. Can't bowl straight & posed no threat.

Even if we lose this game I believe we have a decent chance, if their attack doesn't improve.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Even if we lose this game I believe we have a decent chance, if their attack doesn't improve.
    This is a good point. And I am very sure that one of the differences between the two sides is that I am sure that England could come back from going one down; whereas I am pretty sure that, as when Australia go behind, they will find it too difficult to regain the lead they need.
  • Options
    Time for Swanny!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was time about an hour ago
  • Options
    You were saying :)
  • Options
    one over before lunch - botham has just slaughtered strauss ... madness!
  • Options
    I was there yesterday at the Gabba with a bunch of Aussie mates from my old cricket club and that moment that Siddle got the hat-trick was my most painful moment in sport since Bailey missed the penalty against Swindon.

Their attack is nothing special but Siddle just ploughed through us with aggression and persistence and only Bell ever looked really fluid.

Pietersen is very frustrating, having got to 43 he has got to be looking at a hundred, in the same situation someone like Kallis, Tendulkar or Ponting would have just stayed steady and got the big hundred we so badly needed.

We still lack a middle-order gem - and might see Bell brought to number five and Collingwood to six to alleviate that problem.

I would not be surprised to see Tremlett come in for Finn for the next Test.
  • Options
    Bye bye Ricky, that could be a huge wicket. Jimmy looks fired up for this now
  • Options
    Anybody got any commentary outside the UK?

Had it yesterday through BBC but not getting it today.
  • Options
    Ash, try this. Not sure if it will work outside UK BBC if not there is this unofficial commentary Test Match Sofa
  • Options
    Nice one! Thanks Col. The second one works.
  • Options
    Clarke and North gone now too, Finn taking care of Clarke and Swann taking North. Get through these two, Hussey and Haddin, and we are well into theit tail.

And remember Siddle will not bowl like that again (I hope!). The skips are a tough nut to crack at the Gabba. If the result doesn't go England's way, there is still all to play for in the next 4.

147/5