Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

Comments

• Options
    "Let's also not forget that the Aussies, in the last Ashes series, had a decent start on a number of occasions and then a collapse:

73-0, 160 ao
    217-2, 348 ao
    85-0, 263 ao
    103-2, 215 ao

In the recent two match series (which the Aussies lost 2-0) the story was much the same:

87-0, 192 ao
    58-0, 223 ao

Like us, their middle order can be brittle and it is no longer a question of who will get a big score for them but whether someone will."

78-0, 147-5. Break the Hussey/Haddin partnership and we might just have a lead!
  • Options
    I might have been a bit harsh on Finn earlier on....
  • Options
    First seesion tomorrow will be vital. Day starting half an hour earlier with cloudy conditions and the new ball due immediately.
  • Options
    Hussey looking good for the century.. if we can weather the Siddle storm next innings we may be able to string a very small chance of staying in this, otherwise we may need to look forward to the next..

Broad bowling well but not looking at all dangerous imo
  • Options
    Looks bad to be honest. No luck early, quite the opposite and now the tables have turned and Australia are really turning the screw. A lot rests with preserving confidence now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Looks bad to be honest. No luck early, quite the opposite and now the tables have turned and Australia are really turning the screw. A lot rests with preserving confidence now.

Totally agree, we really needed a wicket early on.
  • Options
    I actually stayed up till 2am last night to watch this only to watch the Aussie pair in the middle survive an onslaught from our bowlers, oh well !
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was up until 5, I really am a glutton for punishment
  • Options
    My predictions looked fairly reasonable 4 days ago. They look utterly hilarious now!

Best/Worst Batsman: Strauss/Hussey
    Best/Worst Bowler: Swann/Siddle (if selected)

I have officially retired from predicting!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]My predictions looked fairly reasonable 4 days ago. They look utterly hilarious now!

Best/Worst Batsman: Strauss/Hussey
    Best/Worst Bowler: Swann/Siddle (if selected)

I have officially retired from predicting!

Lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wondering if I can swap??

Honestly I didn't think they were exactly left-field based on form/predictions - the only close ones for me where Doherty as worst bowler and Clarke as worst batsman!

I don't think my cricketing analysis will be required again for some time!
  • Options
    You can't credibly predict cricket until you're at least 47 - FACT
  • Options
    Get to lunch without losing a wicket and game on, be happy with a draw at the Gabba then we can win the series.
  • Options
    Same old ,same old.Strauss isnt a captain have you noticed all the decent decisions are made straight after a break,the manager makes them.So much sky hype,a commentary team of England captains that never really done much on the captaining front.Good players.I can see this dissolving in to the usual.Cook fragile,Strauss and the rest of the saffers 2nds dont look on form,no duke ball that puts the game back to park level.Tomorrow will set the standard.
  • Options
    Calm down Richie, it's the first test, a long way to go in this series. If it weren't for bad luck yesterday we would have broken that partnership and let's face it it will most likely be a match winning partnership. Couple that with their bowling that really didn't look that threatening apart from Siddle I think that there is still a lot of hope from this series.

As I said before I don't think many thought we would walk this series, how could anyone think that for a series abroad let alone in Australia but there are reasons for that and no it isn't just the Sky hype. It is easy to blame them but let's face it their coverage is probably the best in any sport covered in this country. I believe there is a lot more to come from our boys and I expect this to be a fantastic series, already this has been a match full of incident and hopefully it is the same for the rest of the series (hopefully in favour of our boys).

I do however slightly agree about Strauss, the tactics midway through the afternoon session were very naive but he was the captain to win the Ashes back last year so for now lets back him. This match seems dead and buried but lets get behind the lads out there and just enjoy the rest of this.
  • Options
    Off to bed. Strauss and Cook doing really well. Hopefully when wake up we will have 50 lead for the fall of no more than 3 wickets.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    How many ex-England captains have Sky got out there - Gower, Botham, Atherton, Hussain - any others?

And did any of them win the Ashes as captain? (Edit: Did Gower?)
  • Options
    Gower was skipper when we the convicts 3-1 in '85.

171-0, Strauss got his ton, Cookies going well too, now surpassed the previous 161 best English partnership at the Gabba.
    Mitchell Johnson dropped a dolly from Strauss at extra cover mid 80s, very entertaining indeed :-)

Just hope that when I eventually cant keep my eyes open any longer, we hold it together for another session and a half.
  • Options
    Gower's scream the highlight of the match so far for me!
  • Options
    Thats better,I can calm down now!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: richie8[/cite]Thats better,I can calm down now!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm probably more relieved at this than what has happened in the match
  • Options
    Well it look like we're actually going to come out of this on top. Brisbane is the Aussies fortress and whilst we should have batted better the fact is that they actually only had two meaningful partnerships: the opening stand of 78 and the record breaking one between Hussey & Haddin.

Whilst not looking particularly threatening on a dead track we have generally speaking bowled well whereas, apart from Siddles burst in the first Innings their attack has looked decidly ordinary. Johnson looks a shadow of his former self (0-131 in the match) and the fact that the skipper not only doesn't open with him but also gives Watson first change rather says it all. Doherty's record in first class cricket is ordinary to say the least and he wouldn't have been 5th choice for them a decade ago.

I'm not saying that we are going to romp home (I originally predicted a 2-1 win) but, overall, think we will leave this Test in front.
  • Options
    Cheers colthe3rd.
  • Options
    What did passer do to cause Gower to scream
  • Options
    well looks like the lads have done well to recover....perhaps we can but the first innings down to nerves?...cos the aussie bowling has been pretty tame since.

cue nine morning session wickets
  • Options
    i dont get cricket that lasts 5 days

so in simple answers please

win

lose

draw

for england in this test
  • Options
    its gonna end a draw mate
  • Options
    cheers VG
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i dont get cricket that lasts 5 days

so in simple answers please

win

lose

draw

for england in this test

A draw is the likeliest result, but a lot of positives for England to take into the next match (starting Friday in Adelaide).
  • Options
    I said this after the 1st day, so I agree with AA (actually he agrees with me :-)

"Saw the whole days play. Reckon we are about 100 short, but you never know.

Positives for the rest of the series :-

Siddle apart, their attack looked distinctly average.

Siddle 9 - bowled very well
    Hilfenhaus 6 - average
    Doherty 6 - average (although decent for a 1st Test)
    Johnson 4.5 - like Harmison in later years, but not at his worst. Can't bowl straight & posed no threat.

Even if we lose this game I believe we have a decent chance, if their attack doesn't improve"

[cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Well it look like we're actually going to come out of this on top. Brisbane is the Aussies fortress and whilst we should have batted better the fact is that they actually only had two meaningful partnerships: the opening stand of 78 and the record breaking one between Hussey & Haddin.

Whilst not looking particularly threatening on a dead track we have generally speaking bowled well whereas, apart from Siddles burst in the first Innings their attack has looked decidly ordinary. Johnson looks a shadow of his former self (0-131 in the match) and the fact that the skipper not only doesn't open with him but also gives Watson first change rather says it all. Doherty's record in first class cricket is ordinary to say the least and he wouldn't have been 5th choice for them a decade ago.

I'm not saying that we are going to romp home (I originally predicted a 2-1 win) but, overall, think we will leave this Test in front.