Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

Comments

• Options
    Even if we lose this game I believe we have a decent chance, if their attack doesn't improve"

Bollinger was close to making this team but Siddle was preferred, and Doug the Rug went off to play Sheffield shield cricket instead to get match fit.

I think he'll be in the Aussie starting XI for Adelaide, before this Test it would have been for Siddle, but he's earnt another test. So either Johnson ot Hilfenhaus will be rested, probably the latter.

If Bollinger plays then Australia will field two left arm bowlers, that should create some rough for Swann to bowl into.
  • Options
    I agree Bollinger will play, but in place of Johnson I believe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]I agree Bollinger will play, but in place of Johnson I believe.

Difficult to drop Johnson, he is also their best lower-order batsman and so dropping him for Doug The Rug would give them a lower order of Doherty, Siddle, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus.

I can't see them dropping Johnson after one Test, nor Hilfenhaus for that matter.

There is still one day to go here, so one of their bowlers still has a chance to stake a claim.
  • Options
    Johnson is Australia's Steve Harmison, on the days he gets it right he can be lethal, the best bowler in the world, the rest of the time he bowls rubbish albeit still with the odd threatening delivery chucked in that comes from a spell of mediocre ordinariness. Bowling left-arm over his natural line is to pitch the ball on the right hander's off stump and either swing/seam it in sharply, or move it away towards slip and get the batsman playing at it thinking it's coming in. This is the scissor ball - and as Mohammed Amir showed at Lord's against England when you get it right it is unplayable. Very few bowlers have that skill - whether right or left handed and as a leftie now that Amir is banned he's just about the only decent left arm practioner still playing Test cricket.

If I were an Aussie selector I'd think twice about dropping him, he needs a strong bowler at the other end to lead the attack and Bollinger is that character while Hilfenhaus and Siddle aren't, and dropping him is one thing, what will his confidence be like if he's called into the team later in the series? Still letting it be known that the axe is hovering above his head is good psychology - he'll get a chance to bowl at England tonight and that might just lift him and his strange round arm action and get him back into the groove.
  • Options
    Australia are famous or sticking with players, even if out of form (like Hussey) so I reckon they will be unchanged for the next test. But Johnson looks very low on confidence, which can only be good for us.

As long as we are steady this morning, I agree with other posters that we come out of this with a psychological advantage. Watched all day yesterday and we have a real solid look about us, more so than the Aussies.

I can't remember if we've ever been 300 plus for 1 since I've been watching cricket!

There's some speculation of a declaration if/once we get to 250 plus ahead, but there's not enough time to get their wickets; I'm sure we'll just strangle the match and a draw will be offerred later in the day.

Feeling great in the office this morning surrounded by my Aussie friends/colleagues and so far not a peep about the cricket!
  • Options
    Another great morning. Sat on my brother's couch in Melbourne giving it large to all the out-laws about Clarkey's drop :). Very pessimistic mood here - they think the Aussies are going to get mullered this series. Even better is the fact that Ponting's grinning mug seems to be on every ad beak on Channel 9 - juxtaposed nicely with his sour-faced mooey whenever they cut to him in the coverage!
  • Options
    402-1. Unbelievable really. Can't really believe this is England v The Aussies I'm watching!
  • Options
    Cookie what a legend, maiden first class double ton!

432-1
  • Options
    457-1

Cook given not out though it looks as if Ponting did catch it cleanly.

The fact that we are all talking about how the Aussies MAY be able to improve their attack is all rather refreshing!
  • Options
    Ponting's not going to lie about it - if he says he's caught it, he's caught it. Still, if he wasn't such a graceless prick, people might care. See him chuntering at Trott after the decision? Fucking wanker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen an Addick in the crowd!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Just seen an Addick in the crowd!

Yer just saw that too!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    488-1 (300 partnership between Cook & Trott) and only the second time that our top three have all scored tons against the Aussies.
  • Options
    Loving the Aussie commentary - Taylor has just said it must be dress-up day at the Gabba - the Aussie fans have come dressed as plastic chairs :)
  • Options
    517-1 declared and a lead of 296
  • Options

There would have been another one if I had not been stuck at bloody work!!!

I never thought I'd live to see England score 500-1 at the Gabba.
  • Options
    We ain't winning this, but if we can get a few wickets - and, most importantly, Ponting cheaply - that will ruin their confidence nicely
  • Options
    I would not have declared, I would have kept them in the field all day and just sat back and enjoyed it.

I can't see us getting many wickets on this deck, would have been better to rest our bowlers till Friday.
  • Options
    Katich out COME ON!!!
  • Options
    Are you taking drugs? They would have had to score at a clip of about 14 an over! Was never going to be anything other than a draw which, make no mistake, despite the pointlessness at the end, is as good as a victory for England
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Raver[/cite]

Yer just saw that too!

Yeah, great to see a Charlton shirt.

Also saw a banner saying "Bexley Army"
  • Options
    Harris and Bollinger added to the Aussie squad for the next test.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Harris and Bollinger added to the Aussie squad for the next test.

Bit surprised that Peter George hasn't been added. He's just taken 9-93 in a State game and got Strauss, Cook & Trott out for South Australia in the warm up game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite] Cookie what a legend, maiden first class double ton!
    He's been brilliant in both innings. And he seems to be getting better and better. But this was actually his *second* first class double ton, both of them against Australia. I suppose he'll only be really satisfied if he gets one against oneof the better teams.

;-)
  • Options
    if the game was always going to be a draw like VG said the other day why didnt they let cook bat until he got 300 or even 350 and then put the aussies in for only 1 over, seemed a pointless exercise tbh what they did the aussies were never going to hit that score and we were never going to skittle them out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Cookie what a legend, maiden first class double ton!
    He's been brilliant in both innings. And he seems to be getting better and better. But this was actually his *second* first class double ton, both of them against Australia. I suppose he'll only be really satisfied if he gets one against oneof the better teams.

;-)

Sorry to be a pedant but the 2005 knock doesn't count in the record books as the match wasn't a "first class" game

Really delighted for Cookie, always rated him very highly, to think there were plenty of people shouting for him to go during the summer. You have to stick by your players in troubled times, especially those that are future cornerstones of the side. He has worked his balls off and he's a great bloke as well.