Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

Comments

• Options
    Anybody else watching it in HD 'cos my TV seems to be giving a dodgy picture. Or is it just me?
  • Options
    Mine's fine Audrey
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Mine's fine Audrey

Well mine keeps jumping! 409 with the football is fine.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Great Ocean road is shit mate, the Aussies will try and make anything in to a tourist attraction. Oh look a rock that looks a little like London Bridge...

it looked pretty f**kin special from the helicopter we were in this morning.

melbourne is a great city. i've got no idea what 'meh' means.....
    That's the thing though. It might look great from a helicopter - but they advertise it as a 'road'. Anything looks great from a helicopter! I did the drive a couple of weeks back, and it was 'meh'. Yes it's better than the M25. So what? Hanging Rock, on the other hand, is fantastic - but even that's 60ks outside Melbourne itself. The natives go on about everything there like it's the best thing since sliced bread - but the simple fact of the matter is that any European city of note has more going for it then ten Melbournes. It's just a CBD with a lot more suburbs than usual.

PS: 'meh' means 'OK, but not that impressed'.
    Pretty much agree with what Leroy says, although the sporting aspect of Melbourne makes it a great city IMO. They're roads in the Alps which are 10 times as stunning as the Great Ocean Road but aren't advertised as tourist attractions.

Enjoy the 5th test!
  • Options
    Aussies yet again have allowed us to keep the pressure on. 132-4 off 59 overs. Rain stopped play again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Great Ocean road is shit mate, the Aussies will try and make anything in to a tourist attraction. Oh look a rock that looks a little like London Bridge...

That's the thing though. It might look great from a helicopter - but they advertise it as a 'road'. Anything looks great from a helicopter! I did the drive a couple of weeks back, and it was 'meh'. Yes it's better than the M25. So what? Hanging Rock, on the other hand, is fantastic - but even that's 60ks outside Melbourne itself. The natives go on about everything there like it's the best thing since sliced bread - but the simple fact of the matter is that any European city of note has more going for it then ten Melbournes. It's just a CBD with a lot more suburbs than usual.

Pretty much agree with what Leroy says, although the sporting aspect of Melbourne makes it a great city IMO. They're roads in the Alps which are 10 times as stunning as the Great Ocean Road but aren't advertised as tourist attractions.

Enjoy the 5th test!

Great ocean road 'meh' ok mate... lol...

Melbourne less than any city in europe ... righty ho...

have you spent much time round these parts mate??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]

Enjoy the 5th test!

Great ocean road 'meh' ok mate... lol...

Melbourne less than any city in europe ... righty ho...

have you spent much time round these parts mate??
    Aye. Enough to see everything that it has to offer. Outside the beauty of the surrounding areas to the North/NorthEast and the great coastline, it has nothing. The MCG is great - but after 30 minutes, it's just another stadium. I can name twenty cities in Europe alone off the top of my head that are better than Melbourne.
  • Options
    fair enough each to their own...

I personally think its very hard to beat...

absolutely lovely place to live, proper laid back, no body here, and everything you want from a city, loads of cool tucked away bars, loads of good music, great ocean road down the road...

Its not really a city, well it is, but it is tiny really ... only 4 million people here, its the inner suburbs that have a lot of the flavour...

but each to there own, its no barcelona, but it offers a very high quality of life.. i personally love it...
  • Options
    Yeah - don't get me wrong, it seems to be very relaxed, and looks a great place to live (especially if you've got kids). I just got a bit pissed off when I was there with the locals trying to make out it was nirvana. I think it suffers from the same thing all Australian cities do - nothing even approaching 'real' culture, and any that there is, is brash and overbearing because of an inferiority complex - much like the kangaroo shaggers in general :o)

It reminds me of LA (and that's not a compliment)
  • Options
    I felt the same for my first couple of years here, though it was all a bit false, and there was no depth and it just didnt have it, whatever 'it' is but having left for 8 months and then come back, like I said I just love the place, its no nirvana, bit for me its the best place in Australia by a country mile, in fact if it wasnt here I dont think i be here... and maybe its becasue I have managed to achieve things here that I havnt been able to achieve anywhere else that I love it, but its more than that...

I actually really like the people, I think once you realise Aussies humour, and it takes a while, for a year they used to get my back up becasue there humour is just so direct, there is no wit, there isnt any sarcasm.. its hard to explain...

live here for a while, and get into the area you live, I live in Richmond, Bridge road left and swan street right, great local, great coffee from the greeks, work from home... melbourne victory down the road... its is proper kushty and 25 degrees, blue sky...

for me, its gold mate...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Early wicket as Prior pouches Hadin off Anderson. 146-5

Smith was playing for Sevenoaks Vine 2nd XI a couple of years ago. Blackheath smashed his bowling all over the place. He got a few runs though......
  • Options
    Mr Cricket OUT!!

Played on to Colly. New ball now available. 171-6
  • Options
    great news!!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    Smith was playing for Sevenoaks Vine 2nd XI a couple of years ago. Blackheath smashed his bowling all over the place. He got a few runs though......

Not today though. Caught Colly B Anderson 18

Oz 187-7

We look on top but can't really judge until we've batted.
  • Options
    Two in an over!

Siddle C Strauss B Anderson 2

189-8

We look on top but can't really judge until we've batted
  • Options
    Strange old track this. I'm not too excited yet - I think 200-odd might be a par score here. All depends on whether it breaks up later on (day 3/day 4). If we can skittle them for 200 then get through to tea with only two down I think we'll have done well. Couple of dreadful shots though - Haddin's in particular was atrocious.
  • Options
    Did I just see Vince in the crowd? Ecru Charlton top?
  • Options
    i defo just saw an old mesh top in the crowd!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Did I just see Vince in the crowd? Ecru Charlton top?

Stop shouting just texted me saying the same thing - but I missed it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Did I just see Vince in the crowd? Ecru Charlton top?

Stop shouting just texted me saying the same thing - but I missed it.

If you're watching it unbroken on Sky+ you can rewind it, not that it's that important!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not. But you can, if you are?
  • Options

Are you sure it wasn't Alan McCormack?
  • Options
    Vince N in the mesh shirt from play-offs 100%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]

Are you sure it wasn't Alan McCormack?

he's in the Tower of London
  • Options
    This is eerily reminiscent of the WACA
  • Options
    Off to bed now.

Fully expect to see us 100 in front by the time I wake up - and will be booing at my cornflakes if we're not!
    ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Off to bed now.

Fully expect to see us 100 in front by the time I wake up - and will be booing at my cornflakes if we're not!
    ;o)
    You should open a Twitter account. :o)
  • Options
    Not sure it was Vince, the hair looked too errrr sensible!
  • Options
    The review (sky plus) said it could well be vince
  • Options
    Auissie tail wagged with Johnson and Hilf having a good 9th wicket stand.

280 all out.

We're 113-2

Strauss and Cook started well but Strauss out and Trott went for 0.

We mustn't lose another one tonight.