Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Prior ton. Bresnan's turn next. I hope we just bat them into submission. I wonder if michael clarke will captain australia again after such an uninspiring performance.

Harsh on Clarke, not much you can do with the shower of shit that he has to captain.

Hilfenhaus has five wickets all series, Beer has played five FC matches, Siddle blows hot and cold and Johnson has no idea where the ball is going.

The Aussie selection has been all over the place. Doherty, Smith and Beer are amazing selections for an Ashes series.
    Maybe harsh but i've found uninspiring. He's not vocal enough for a captain and all he's done is rotate his bowlers from the same end. Nathan prior gone now.

This is actually - believe it or not - the first game that Clarke has ever captained at First Class level!
  • Options
    Hilfenhaus has taken his 6th wicket.............in the series! Looked like a No Ball to me.
  • Options
    Our number 10 and 11 batsmen just took 20 off a mitchell johnson over. It just get's better.
  • Options
    Australia are crap. Official. I love it.
  • Options
    644 all out. - highest score by an England team in an Ashes test in convictland. Fucking awesome!
  • Options
    Chances of it being all over by the morning?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Possible - but not likely. Can't see them batting out the best part of five sessions, so easily do-able by the middle of the afternoon session tomorrow.
  • Options
    Absolute comedy gold there - best runout I've seen for years. My God this lot are an absolute shambles of a team.
  • Options
    Very funny stuff. Hughes will be hoping to stay out in the middle for a long stretch and avoid meeting Watson!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Very funny stuff. Hughes will be hoping to stay out in the middle for a long stretch and avoid meeting Watson!
    True - that second run was a gimme... but if I stuck my head out of the window I could have heard Hughes' call of 'NO!' from Croydon :o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dressing room should be fun about now!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Very funny stuff. Hughes will be hoping to stay out in the middle for a long stretch and avoid meeting Watson!
    True - that second run was a gimme... but if I stuck my head out of the window I could have heard Hughes' call of 'NO!' from Croydon :o)

Hmmm, Watson's well-tended golden locks must be blocking his ear drums!
  • Options
    Hussey ...... GONE!!!!!!

Fantastic... tomorrow morning we will finsih this off in about 2 hrs...

Amazing performance..
  • Options
    2 more... we could wrap this up now... 7/171 ... Ive got bloody football so I cant watch the last 3 overs odd...
  • Options
    Extra half hour claimed.
  • Options
    As predicted Colly retired from Test cricket.
  • Options
    KP tuck your shirt in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]As predicted Colly retired from Test cricket.
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red 8 Hours Ago[/cite]

As I've said many times on this thread it is confirmed that this is Colly's last Test. He's done a good job over the years but time to go.
    Keep up!
  • Options
    All back tomorrow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]As predicted Colly retired from Test cricket.
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red 8 Hours Ago[/cite]

As I've said many times on this thread it is confirmed that this is Colly's last Test. He's done a good job over the years but time to go.
    Keep up!

Chirpy - even if I missed your confirmation, if you re-read the thread, I think you'll find I got the prediction in first. And if you recall I also told you to lump on the RyderCup/Ashes double. Perhaps you could be so kind as to act as my "minder" when I go and collect ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You're the man who said we couldn't take 20 wickets.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]You're the man who said we couldn't take 20 wickets.

Not in one day. And we don't have to take 20 wickets if the Aussies are happy to give us half of theirs.
  • Options
    Absolutely astonishing performance from England, I have lived here in Oz for 14 years and nobody has ever smashed the Aussies like this on their own turf. It just doesn't happen, even the Windies at their peak did not win like this over here.

I was very skeptical we could win over here because I could not see how our bowlers were going to take 20 wickets on the flat Aussie decks, how wrong I was!

David Saker has done an amazing job with the bowlers, they look to have mastered the art of swinging the Kookaburra - a bastard of a ball to swing compared to a Duke, I know that from playing here myself - both conventionally and reverse. The Aussies have not had a clue how to play it.

Anderson has been incredible, better than I could have imagined, Tremlett looks like he could be our best fast bowler in a generation and Bresnan/Finn chipped in with crucial wickets. The wickets have not suited Swann but he still won the game in Adelaide and bowled selflessly for the team.

The batsmen too, especially Cook, Trott, Strauss and Bell have been amazing and have carved out the big runs that you need to score in Australia. The only let-down has been KP who apart from his double-ton in Adelaide has not made another major score and that's not good enough for your supposed top batsman. He must bat with his brain rather than his balls in pressure situations.

Amazing stuff and I still cannot believe that we are about to beat the Aussies 3-1 away from home, incredible stuff after witnessing our previous 3-0 (1990/91), 4-1 (1994/95), 3-1 (1998/99), 4-1 (2002/03) and 5-0 (06/07) shellackings we have copped down here.
  • Options
    That run out was superb.

Summed up the whole series in one wicket
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Without doing too much research I do recall the Windies walloping Australia in 79/80 in the triangular series when we were there too.
    An innings in one match and 400 odd runs in another. That Aussie side had both Chapplles, Lillee, Thommo etc etc.

THe best Windies XI from 1978-1988 would beat the best Aussie side from 1993-2003 or similar.

Haynes - Langer
    Greenidge - Hayden
    Richards - Boon
    Richardson - Ponting
    Kallicharan - Border
    Lloyd - S Waugh
    Dujoin - Gillcrest
    Marshall - Warne
    Holding - Gillespie
    Garner - Alderman
    Walsh - McGrath

Close but I'd back the Windies.
  • Options
    I backed us to win the series. I just rung bet fred to see if they had settled the bet and they said that it wouldn't settle until the end of this match. Absolutely ridiculous. I bet paddy power has paid out on series bets. All focus now on the one day series. Expect much of the same.
  • Options
    Paddy Power have paid out on Man U winning the prem already.....
  • Options
    Haven't been on this thread for a while, so 2 points to make.

1. Yes it definitely was Vince in the crowd the other day, in his MESH ecru Charlton shirt.

2. My highlight of the series -

Mitchell Johnson comes out to bat with the Barmy Army singing :-

"He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, Mitchell Johnson your bowling is shite"

He's bowled first ball by Tremlett.

Mitchell Johnson trudges off to The Barmy Army still singing "he bowls ........."

Ashes/comedy gold.
  • Options
    Haynes - Langer............HAYNES
    Greenidge - Hayden.......EQUAL
    Richards - Boon............RICHARDS
    Richardson - Ponting......PONTING
    Kallicharan - Border.......BORDER
    Lloyd - Jones...............EQUAL
    Dujoin - Gillcrest..........GILCHRIST
    Marshall - Warne...........EQUAL
    Holding - Gillespie.........HOLDING
    Garner - Alderman.........GARNER
    Walsh - McGrath............McGRATH

I can't split them....it'd be a draw!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Without doing too much research I do recall the Windies walloping Australia in 79/80 in the triangular series when we were there too.
    An innings in one match and 400 odd runs in another. That Aussie side had both Chapplles, Lillee, Thommo etc etc.

THe best Windies XI from 1978-1988 would beat the best Aussie side from 1993-2003 or similar.

Haynes - Langer
    Greenidge - Hayden
    Richards - Boon
    Richardson - Ponting
    Kallicharan - Border
    Lloyd - Jones
    Dujoin - Gillcrest
    Marshall - Warne
    Holding - Gillespie
    Garner - Alderman
    Walsh - McGrath

Close but I'd back the Windies.

The great Windies side won series here but nobody - nobody at all - has ever come to Australia and won three tests by an innings before. It just has not happened before.