Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

Comments

• Options
    Joking aren't you? He played last year and had a great season - for Delhi Daredevils.

The IPL is made for someone like him, four overs of medium pace, he's a great fielder and can bat well in limited overs. He's still captain of England's T20 team and for good reason.
  • Options
    Colly did well in the IPL last year. He'll do a job in the World Cup. This is his last Test.

Why haven't we dropped him earlier? Well it's not the way the England set up works these days. An experienced player would not be dropped mid-series and certainly not on tour. It's the Aussie way and we have tried to emulate them. Make your changes inbetween series'.

As they say, a good snooker player chalks his cue before playing his shot, not after......

I'd still go for Bopara at 6 instead of Morgan, we'll miss Colly's overs.
  • Options
    We need a lead of 150+. If we end up with only 50 the Aussies will love it. Chasing anything over 120 in the last innings will be tough at the SCG.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Joking aren't you? He played last year and had a great season - for Delhi Daredevils.

The IPL is made for someone like him, four overs of medium pace, he's a great fielder and can bat well in limited overs. He's still captain of England's T20 team and for good reason.

Colly's T20 record last year for England was 11 Innings at an average of just over 10 and a top score of only 21. He might get a contract but I don't think he should bank on it.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mitchell Johnson!!!

WIDE BALL!

What a twat!

Shane Watson was presented with the McGilvray Medal today, awarded to their Cricketer of The Year. Shane Watson! Sums up the state of Aus cricket perfectly.
  • Options
    The reason why he hasn't been dropped is partly because the last time he was left out the side England were hammered by South Africa but mostly because we haven't had to worry about his lack of runs in this series. He can still do a job with the ball and is a brilliant slip fielder and seems to be a popular lad in the squad. His batting is certainly on the wane, but the whole is worth more than the sum of the parts.

He deserves to go out as a playing Test player and not as a glorified drinks waiter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Colly did well in the IPL last year. He'll do a job in the World Cup. This is his last Test.

Why haven't we dropped him earlier? Well it's not the way the England set up works these days. An experienced player would not be dropped mid-series and certainly not on tour. It's the Aussie way and we have tried to emulate them. Make your changes inbetween series'.

As they say, a good snooker player chalks his cue before playing his shot, not after......

I think we are going to go down the route of pushing prior up to 6 with the latter middle order made up of Bresnan, Broad and Swann. We've proven we can manage with 5 batsmen plus Prior (83 runs from Colly at 5) but have "got away with" none of our front line quickies picking up an injury.
  • Options
    And he bows out this week.

Thanks Colly.
  • Options
    Lumch - scores nigh on level, if Cook, Bell and the tail can bat on after lunch then a decent lead is there for the taking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Colly did well in the IPL last year. He'll do a job in the World Cup. This is his last Test.

I think we are going to go down the route of pushing prior up to 6 with the latter middle order made up of Bresnan, Broad and Swann. We've proven we can manage with 5 batsmen plus Prior (83 runs from Colly at 5) but have "got away with" none of our front line quickies picking up an injury.

Well that's what I want. Prior batted 6 in 2009, ok we had Freddie at 7, but he did ok. Give him the responsibility. Four bowlers can easily bowl sides like Aus out but you need 5 to get 20 wickets against the top sides like India, Sri Lanka and S Africa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That song for mitchell johnson sounds great banter. He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right!
  • Options
    Tempting fate but Bell (33 n.o.) yet again looks in superb touch.
  • Options
    5/333 looking pretty confortable to be fair...

I think we are going to win this personally..
  • Options
    208 ahead at stumps. We'll carry on batting tomorrow, get the lead up to 300 and then make them suffer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Changing the subject slightly but staying with cricket, hearing Beefy go on about that "catch" earlier reminded me of when someone claimed a catch off him and he walked behind the stumps waving his bat in the air at them. Was it against Pakistan? And was it the wicket-keeper?

A very vivid memory from my youth that is. Was just looking for it on YouTube but no joy.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/151986.html

The link is above, I remember this very clearly and it helped to spark the antipathy between England and Pakistan that went on for the next decade.

I have seen the replay lots of times, it really was an absolutely outrageous bit of cheating from the Pakistan keeper Rashid Yousuf.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]208 ahead at stumps. We'll carry on batting tomorrow, get the lead up to 300 and then make them suffer.

I assume you mean all out with a lead of 300 Chirpy 'cos I can't see us declaring!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]208 ahead at stumps. We'll carry on batting tomorrow, get the lead up to 300 and then make them suffer.

I assume you mean all out with a lead of 300 Chirpy 'cos I can't see us declaring!

Of course. Why declare? Under no circumstances do we want to give them any chance of winning. I'm sure with them 300 behind they will crumble. Mind you Strauss will still only have 2 slips, a fine leg and a sweepers on both boundries!
  • Options
    No need to declare - there are six full sessions left, if England bat out their innings, and add another 50-60 runs in the process that could be enough to win by an innings, if not they'll have a small target to chase. The only way Australia could win from here is for England to declare overnight, and for them to score 350 and then roll England over in two sessions on day five for bugger all. If England bat on they remove what minute chance exists of an Australia win.
  • Options
    Want it to finish today as we've got to fly tomorrow and can't attend the last day!!!!

ideal world - have a knock around till 1st drinks about 11.30 then we get them all out by tea - then spend the last 2 hours celebrating. thank you please.
  • Options
    As I've said many times on this thread it is confirmed that this is Colly's last Test. He's done a good job over the years but time to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Listening on the radio but watching MOTD, what a mental night in the Prem?

Only one team won tonight and they didn't even play! Fergie must be laughing his socks off.

West Ham - Took 7/9 points out of the festive period but are tonight back on the bottom. Hilarious !

Pardew's doing alright. Maybe we should have kept him.
  • Options
    531-7 (157 overs) Only 16 Extras.
    Lead by 251.
  • Options
    Prior ton. Bresnan's turn next. I hope we just bat them into submission. I wonder if michael clarke will captain australia again after such an uninspiring performance.
  • Options
    Let Tremlett get a ton too.

Bat, bat and bat.
  • Options
    And bat, bat and bat.
  • Options
    LOL - jinx!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Prior ton. Bresnan's turn next. I hope we just bat them into submission. I wonder if michael clarke will captain australia again after such an uninspiring performance.

Harsh on Clarke, not much you can do with the shower of shit that he has to captain.

Hilfenhaus has five wickets all series, Beer has played five FC matches, Siddle blows hot and cold and Johnson has no idea where the ball is going.

The Aussie selection has been all over the place. Doherty, Smith and Beer are amazing selections for an Ashes series.
  • Options
    Swanns turn to give johnson a slap.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    WTF is up with these Aussies?

Swan comes in to face the new ball, Hilfenhaus bowls him a right proper nasty short ball. Swann turns his back on it. He looked really uncomfortable. They peppered him in 2009 with short balls and swann did not like it.
    So what do Hilfenhaus and Johnson do subsequently? Bowl every ball in Swann's half of the pitch and he slogs them all round the ground!

These Aussies are clueless.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Prior ton. Bresnan's turn next. I hope we just bat them into submission. I wonder if michael clarke will captain australia again after such an uninspiring performance.[/quote]

Harsh on Clarke, not much you can do with the shower of shit that he has to captain.

Hilfenhaus has five wickets all series, Beer has played five FC matches, Siddle blows hot and cold and Johnson has no idea where the ball is going.

The Aussie selection has been all over the place. Doherty, Smith and Beer are amazing selections for an Ashes series.[/quote]
    Maybe harsh but i've found uninspiring. He's not vocal enough for a captain and all he's done is rotate his bowlers from the same end. Nathan prior gone now.