Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2010/11 Ashes thread

Comments

• Options
    Going to be a big 1st session tonight. Very interesting. The result of the series could well be determined by events in the first couple of hours tonight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Going to be a big 1st session tonight. Very interesting. The result of the series could well be determined by events in the first couple of hours tonight.
    Agree with this. In fact, I would go as far as to say whoever is leading at Tea is very likely to win the match (whichever side is batting). So if, we're ahead and still batting, we're in the box-seat. If we've been dismissed before then and we're behind, we're in deep trouble. But if we're all out, but still in the lead, I think we'll win.
  • Options
    Let's hope we're in the PINK at lunchtime.....
  • Options
    anderson out but loss of nightwatchmen not a huge wicket
  • Options
    Step up to the plate P Collingwood MBE.

Make your last Test one to remember.
  • Options
    Anyone else see Tendulkar batting against Steyn last night?

THAT was Test Match cricket at its best, the best batsman in the world against the best fast bowler in the world, totally gripping stuff.

Tendulkar is unbelievable, the bloke has been playing Test Match cricket for 20 years, I saw him play at Lords in the Gooch 333 game.
  • Options
    need these two at the crease to put on 80 to ease the nerves,be nice to have a lead of 100
  • Options
    Sounds easy to say, but they just need to keep rotating the strike and make sure the score board ticks over.
  • Options
    Test Match Cricket at it's best is England V Australia. Whether us or them are No 1 or No 8 in the world, it is the battle that matters.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Step up to the plate P Collingwood MBE.

Make your last Test one to remember.

I hope he gets some runs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "genuine edge" there apparently.

As opposed to what - a "fake edge"?

And is a bit like a footballer having "genuine pace"?

I'm waffling - but they started it!
  • Options
    Beer is on...

Since all Australian cricketers must have a nickname that is related to their surname, I'm going with "Duff".
  • Options
    Dirty cheatin aussies.Have they no class
  • Options
    BOOK HIM!
  • Options
    Well batted, Cook's third hundred of the series...
  • Options
    Why oh why is Colly still in the Team?
  • Options
    His last ever test match for sure!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Anyone else see Tendulkar batting against Steyn last night?

THAT was Test Match cricket at its best, the best batsman in the world against the best fast bowler in the world, totally gripping stuff.

Tendulkar is unbelievable, the bloke has been playing Test Match cricket for 20 years, I saw him play at Lords in the Gooch 333 game.
    Saw the highlights earlier. Tendulkar is unbelievable - an absolute genius. He shows no ill effects from that dip in form a couple of years ago. My God do I love watching Dale Steyn bowl though. Nothing like watching a bowler like that - Donald, McGrath, Holden, Ambrose, Steyn - all brilliant to watch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]His last ever test match for sure!

You reckon?

No doubt you were giving Cooky a bit of a bashing last summer.
  • Options
    Hmmm needed Colly to occupy the crease for a bit longer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our batsmen get much more leeway than our bowlers. Finn was our top wicket taker, but the management thought he was tired so he was dropped. Colly's not scored runs for ages, he's beginning to drop lots of catches and so, move Bell up to 5 and bring in Morgan at 6.

The best teams are ruthless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

You reckon?

I think he will take the decision to retire from Test cricket on a high with the one dayers and World Cup to play for. Otherwise he will be dropped because, as I've said previously, the Team has to evolve.

After all, we drop bowlers when they bowl well so if we can't drop a batsman who scores a total of 83 runs in a series and who averaged 26 in 2010 then when can we drop him?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

You reckon?

I think he will take the decision to retire from Test cricket on a high with the one dayers and World Cup to play for. Otherwise he will be dropped because, as I've said previously, the Team has to evolve.

After all, we drop bowlers when they bowl well so if we can't drop a batsman who scores a total of 83 runs in a series and who averaged 26 in 2010 then when can we drop him?

What he said
  • Options
    Changing the subject slightly but staying with cricket, hearing Beefy go on about that "catch" earlier reminded me of when someone claimed a catch off him and he walked behind the stumps waving his bat in the air at them. Was it against Pakistan? And was it the wicket-keeper?

A very vivid memory from my youth that is. Was just looking for it on YouTube but no joy.
  • Options
    Drop him fair enough.But saying it's his last ever test match is harsh on a good english servant.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Changing the subject slightly but staying with cricket, hearing Beefy go on about that "catch" earlier reminded me of when someone claimed a catch off him and he walked behind the stumps waving his bat in the air at them. Was it against Pakistan? And was it the wicket-keeper?

A very vivid memory from my youth that is. Was just looking for it on YouTube but no joy.

Knowing Botham,that could of been in his back garden.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Changing the subject slightly but staying with cricket, hearing Beefy go on about that "catch" earlier reminded me of when someone claimed a catch off him and he walked behind the stumps waving his bat in the air at them. Was it against Pakistan? And was it the wicket-keeper?

Knowing Botham,that could of been in his back garden.
    Now you couldn't possibly be suggesting that Beef is a teller of tall tales, could you? ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Drop him fair enough.But saying it's his last ever test match is harsh on a good english servant.

The issue is his age and the fact that we need to integrate younger players when the side, as a whole, is playing well. The Aussies used to do this but the issue with them was the fact that all their top players got old at the same time and all bar one or two retired within a couple of years. Apart from Hussey not one of their batsmen have performed and they don't have a spin bowler worthy of Divison 1 of the County Championship let alone the Ashes.

As I've said already I think he will retire gracefully from Test cricket and save himself for the one day stuff.
  • Options
    Colly will be 35 in May and realistically only has a few years left as a pro, and clearly can't cut it at Test level any more. He's had one decent score in this series - of 42 and otherwise has failed to get past 20.

There are several players lining up behind him - Morgan, Lyth, Hildreth, Bopara who are more likely to score runs.

Hopefully Colly will retire himself and take matters into his own hands rather than be retired. At least these days old test players can go into the retirement home known as the IPL.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Colly will be 35 in May and realistically only has a few years left as a pro, and clearly can't cut it at Test level any more. He's had one decent score in this series - of 42 and otherwise has failed to get past 20.

There are several players lining up behind him - Morgan, Lyth, Hildreth, Bopara who are more likely to score runs.

Hopefully Colly will retire himself and take matters into his own hands rather than be retired. At least these days old test players can go into the retirement home known as the IPL.

I did think about Colly and the IPL but I'm not actually sure, with all the talent out there, that any Team would actually bid for him.