Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

commute update - 30 nov / 1 Dec / 2nd Dec

Comments

• Options
    debating what time to leave the office!! Last night was fun and games at London Bridge - eventually got a train to crayford abouty 6ish after getting there at 3....

what time do I risk it tonight!!!
  • Options
    got to charing cross just before 4. no trains at all. nothing on the screens, no announcements, sod all.

rang my brother in law who drove into London this morning, got a tube to London Bridge to meet him and back indoors in Bexleyheath at 5. Commercial road and A2 are empty.
  • Options
    Anyone got any news on the situation at Cannon Street?
  • Options
    Not Cannon street but this is on twitter re London Bridge

Early shut down tonight. Last train to dep London Bridge 19:40. All services will stop by 21:00: http://bit.ly/etGcKx

Nothing on twitter re Cannon street
  • Options
    On dlr to lewisham any news on bexleyheath line?
  • Options
    Trapped indoors today,

Spoke to my boss earlier and he told me he had to kip at the yard kast night. I almost shat myself laughing.
  • Options
    Worked fromhome today, but know I'll have to make stupid effort to get in tomorrow. Stupid thing is I can see it being worse with the trains

Anyone local know the realistic berst non mainline into city from sidcup, buses, dlr, jubilee etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Worked fromhome today, but know I'll have to make stupid effort to get in tomorrow. Stupid thing is I can see it being worse with the trains

Anyone local know the realistic berst non mainline into city from sidcup, buses, dlr, jubilee etc

51 to Woolwich. Then the DLR.

or

286 to Eltham. 132 or 161 to North Greenwich. Jubilee Line.
  • Options
    Ta Clem
  • Options
    321 to Lewisham could be another option
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spoilt for choice. I'll pack some marmalade sandwiches
  • Options
    If an employee has the facility to work from home when the weather is like this let them surely?

I won't be attempting to go in tomorrow if it remains like it is.

If work want to kick up about it, let them. I'm not losing my no-claims bonus on my own estate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]

or stay on the 286 into greenwich and get dlr from the cutty sark
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]

or stay on the 286 into greenwich and get dlr from the cutty sark

If you stay on the 286 and go into Greenwich, this also gives you the option of getting the Thames Clipper into town - you can use your Oyster on this too and it has a bar!

DLR was a 'mare tonight, as was the Jubilee (not running beyond Canary Wharf) - managed to get a train from Cannon Street to Charlton eventually.
  • Options
    Absolutely bucketing it down here
  • Options
    Only going to use South Useless when i'm desperate. Dlr, Buses and tubes in future. Did not bother going to Erith station this afternoon, as i knew that there would be no communication whatsoever. 99 to Woolwich, Dlr to Canning Town, two tubes to Paddington. 1hr 15 mins.
  • Options
    Amazing how South Eastern can't run a piss up in a brewery yet the DLR always seems to cope fine. Get rid of all the drivers and computerise the trains - it's the future.
  • Options
    Made the mistake of listening to my missus this morning and actually bothering going to Hither Green station to wait 25 minutes for a train to turn up that was too packed to get on. Tomorrow will be 15 minute walk into Lewisham, a seat on the DLR to Bank, tube to Holborn and in work early enough to draft a lengthy letter of complaint to South Eastern trains.
  • Options
    PART of the problem is to do with the design & the rest is poor management.

SouthEastern's traction current comes from the 3rd rail. The trains have "shoes" which are pushed down and run along the rail picking up electricity. The problem is that the snow falls on top of the 3rd rail & freezes, meaning the shoe can't connect with the rail and pick up any current. The DLR's "3rd rail" is actually elevated and insulated. It effectively sits inside an upside down U shape and the DLR's shoe pushes UP to get its current - this way the snow can't fall on it.

I'm not a complete geek - a mate who works for SouthEastern explained it to me once!
  • Options
    I'm a great fan of the DLR. BUT. It does, actually, break down with monotonous regularity, and when it does the information flow from TfL and its staff is on a par with that from South Eatstern. In a way, it's worse, as the whole system's no more than a bloody big train set, so they should at least know what's where!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my wife said,"you cant go to work in this"
    So I stayed at home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Made the mistake of listening to my missus this morning and actually bothering going to Hither Green station to wait 25 minutes for a train to turn up that was too packed to get on. Tomorrow will be 15 minute walk into Lewisham, a seat on the DLR to Bank, tube to Holborn and in work early enough to draft a lengthy letter of complaint to South Eastern trains.
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Amazing how South Eastern can't run a piss up in a brewery yet the DLR always seems to cope fine. Get rid of all the drivers and computerise the trains - it's the future.

I normally cycle to work but was working away from the office today and needed to be in a suit for the client so needed to take public transport. Although it took me longer to get in and out of town from New Eltham today than by train, it wasn't too bad. I used buses, tubes and DLR and all were fine. By contrast my daughter waited ages for a train and gave up going to work in the end.

TfL managed to keep the services running but Southeastern are a disgrace. SE London isn't as cut off as many make out. Provided you can get to the DLR at Woolwich or Lewisham or are prepared for a longish bus ride, you can get into to town without too much hassle. Rely on Southeastern and you are in trouble.

P.S. I hope Southeastern don't get any of my Oystercard money.
  • Options
    Worked late, got to Charing cross at 7.45pm, at 7.50 a train came in and at 7.56 it left on time bound for Sidcup. Was home indoors by 8.40pm. Don't see what the fuss is myself!
  • Options
    Do not worry Chris!......
    The train companies have plenty of time left this week to screw you up......
    Glad to hear someone had a result......
  • Options
    Conditions are terrible today. Not even going to attempt southeasten. On a bus to woolwich now but the bus is going really slow due to the roads... doesn't look like abbey wood has been gritted very well.
  • Options
    Just on a 10 mile walk to work
  • Options
    7 miles to go
  • Options
    3 miles in 7 minutes? Damn, you're fast! ;o)
  • Options
    No trains between Dartford & Lewisham on the Bexleyheath line. Currently sitting on a 89 bus to Lewisham then hopefully DLR.
  • Options
    All trains from Orpington suspended untill further notice due to multiple points failure.
    Thats me staying at home again.