Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

commute update - 30 nov / 1 Dec / 2nd Dec

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]If it was the same one she says train broke down and London Bridge so she walked to Cannon Street having stood "toe to toe" from Sidcup.

Had a feeling that might happen. Sat in London Br for a few minutes so i decided to get off and walk over the bridge. Kept looking over to Cannon St and never saw the train come over.
  • Options
    Fortunately I do not have to commute anymore, I am now a full time carer for my mother.At present my road is snowed in and there are no signs of it being gritted, this led me to think how do they expect the emergency services to reach us, should they be required? my mother is not in the best of health and if I needed an ambulance what is the contingency plan? it does not seem to get mentioned in the media.
  • Options
    Blimey, walking from London Bridge to Cannon Street with those little legs must've taken you the best part of an hour!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Blimey, walking from London Bridge to Cannon Street with those little legs must've taken you the best part of an hour!

snow was up to my shoulders walking to the station this morning, gonna get a snorkel !
  • Options
    good luck to those of you trying to get in.

I was going to try this morning as had a 6 month review meeting, work to snow high enough to make opening the front and back doors difficult. It also covered the dog completely.

Got text from boss saying meeting scrapped and my only task today was to build a snowman with the kids. Been out and had a snowball fight with my son whilst heading off for food supplies (forgot wallet which was fun). Little bit of work now then snowman building.
  • Options
    The DLR has been a lifesaver this week. Deptford to Canary Wharf, then I large it up on the Jubilee line. The service has been "liquid smooth" (a remark made by a fellow commuter this morning).

South Eastern need to take a good hard look at themselves. I can't imagine they will like what they see.
  • Options
    Left the house at 7.40. Got two buses to Lewisham, DLR to South Quay, Walked to Canary Wharf, Jubilee line to LB & then bus over the pond. Made it to my desk in Leadenhall Street, bang on 10.
  • Options
    My luck with the trains this week ran out today. Got to Sidcup at 8, finally a train came in at 8.45. Crawled to london bridge then failed so got 2 tubes and finally made it in at 10.15
  • Options
    Is the jubilee line running a very restricted service or are trains quite frequent?
  • Options
    Westbound going towards Stanmore was fine this morning. Eastbound didn't look too clever though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]Is the jubilee line running a very restricted service or are trains quite frequent?[/quote]

Jubilee line is fine.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]Is the jubilee line running a very restricted service or are trains quite frequent?

Every five mins - just went North Greenwich to Green Park. Getting to North Greenwich from Eltham was another thing mind you.

God know's what getting home will be like tonight, South-Eastern are the most ridiculous outfit in the history of transportation. I understand that adverse weather conditions will cause a bit of disruption, but no other train company seems to suffer like this. And their staff are 90% unhelpful.

To add to my anger, when I walked in my boss said he hadn't even expected me to come in.
  • Options
    I am rather impressed with southern this morning

How many trains have they run on the main line from Brighton to London today so far??? I hear you shout

Well, you will also be rather impressed to hear that they are have run an amazing ZERO trains
  • Options
    Feel so sorry for you Train people, must be awful standing on the platforms waiting for trains that ain't coming.

Today was a fun drive into work this morning, dangerous, but real fun especially driving a 4 wheel drive sports car, as the roads were empty could sling it all over the place. Don't know about anyone else but here in East kent I have not seen a single Gritter all week, although i did see my first snow plough this morning on the A2.
  • Options
    Managed to get in tue and wed on trains from Barnehurst, but having listened to the news didn't bother with trains this morning.

Got on 422 at 7-20, Bexleyheath to N greenwich, then Jubilee to Waterloo then walk to Millbank.

In office at 9-50.

Leaving at 3 to fight my way back home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Left the house at 7.40. Got two buses to Lewisham, DLR to South Quay, Walked to Canary Wharf, Jubilee line to LB & then bus over the pond. Made it to my desk in Leadenhall Street, bang on 10.

stayed home today but must go in tomorrow. Doesn't the DLR go to Bank ?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    southeastern.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Left the house at 7.40. Got two buses to Lewisham, DLR to South Quay, Walked to Canary Wharf, Jubilee line to LB & then bus over the pond. Made it to my desk in Leadenhall Street, bang on 10.

stayed home today but must go in tomorrow. Doesn't the DLR go to Bank ?

Sure do. Almost all the DLR trains from Woolwich go straight to Bank.
  • Options
    Have had quite an easy run really. Last night we stayed in the Vintry till about 7.15 wandered over to cannon street and jumped on a train to charlton no bother, pretty empty and no one fighting. do this people its much saner.

am lucky enough to be able to jump on buses but i woudlnt say the jubilee was perfect this morning, not as good as it normally is. mind you i didnt leave home till 9.

good luck getting home.
  • Options
    Do not worry Chris!......
    The train companies have plenty of time left this week to screw you up......
    Glad to hear someone had a result.....

Chris_from_Sidcup 1 hour ago quote# 189
    My luck with the trains this week ran out today. Got to Sidcup at 8, finally a train came in at 8.45. Crawled to london bridge then failed so got 2 tubes and finally made it in at 10.15

eh! as i was saying Chris...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Latest

Consider if you need to travel
    We are operating an extremely limited number of services from our contingency timetable today.
    Most mainline lines of route do NOT have any services.
    We are currently ONLY able to run the following services between:

Ashford and Ramsgate
    Ashford and St Pancras
    Dover and Ramsgate
    Dover and St Pancras
    Ramsgate and Margate
    Gillingham and London Bridge via Sidcup, via Woolwich and via Bexleyheath
    Cannon Street and Hayes
    Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells
    Grove Park and Charing Cross
    Tonbridge and Ashford
    These are all subject to short notice cancellations and delays.

Mainline tickets will be accepted on High Speed services today.
    We will continue to keep our website updated with the services that are running.
  • Options
    Anybody know what SouthEastern are planning tomorrow. The website only has contingency plan listed upto and including today. Took me 3hrs 15 mins this morning from Abbey Wood to Great Ormond Street. An hour longer than yesterday. Not doing that again if it's going to be the same Friday.
  • Options
    Finally saw a gritter today, in Gravesend Town Centre. None seen anywhere near our estate. We've been left by KCC to fend for ourselves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Finally saw a gritter today, in Gravesend Town Centre. None seen anywhere near our estate. We've been left by KCC to fend for ourselves.

I've been waiting for the "It's all the councils fault" cry to go up. We had all this last time too. I can only speak for my own journey and my own local authourity for certain and they have been out gritting all night in avance of the white stuff arriving (which it duly did). They did a bloody great job gritting the main roads down here but there are limits to what they can do given there's 1000 miles in every local authority's area.

There are not dozens of drivers sitting around waiting for the off, they are generally refuse lorry driver/loaders who work in the foulest of weathers (having struggled to get to the gritter itself by themselves at some ungodly hour).

Our lot have been out through the night and are still out there now but you know what, there are still some charming members of the public ringing up to rant because their flipping bin hasn't been emptied, despite the fact they they can't get their car up the road let alone a HGV.

Bit of credit where it's due I say...
  • Options
    this year seems to be far worse in bexley with major roads not salted
  • Options
    Seconded, Bournemouth. The Council boys are definitely out and about in Woolwich, and have been all week.
  • Options
    Lewisham council also gritted the streets before the snow, although to be fair they didn't bother at all last year!
  • Options
    Any news on the state of play at Cannon Street or London Bridge?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    buses doing a good job-------------DLR first class-----------tubes ok(mostly)

South Eastern Trains-----------------pile of shit.

even the Evening Gooner is saying South London/north Kent has been abandoned by the train companys
  • Options
    Any updates this morning? How have been people been getting on with Southeastern this morning?