Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You sure this Microphone is off? Andy Gray Sacked.

Comments

• Options
    Veering wildly off topic for a mo...
    [cite]Posted By: North London Addick[/cite]problem is aliwibble i didnt do to good at school and i dont know where they are meant to go at times

i dont mean to make it hard to read thats why i leave big gaps sometimes in between my rubbish
    The gaps definitely help, as they give your brain time to pause and take in what you've just read. I wouldn't claim that my punctuation is perfect by any stretch of the imagination - using dashes to join two related sentences is definitely a non-standard way of doing it, but I find it helps to make my meaning clearer.

If you're not sure where your punctation needs to go, a useful way of working it out is read what you're trying to say out loud. If you're pausing between two different ideas, then that's probably going to need a full stop, and then a capital letter to start the next sentence. If you're having a slightly shorter pause midway through an idea, then that probably means you'll need a comma there. This may mean you end up with lots of very short sentences, which can come across as being a bit abrupt sometimes, but it's better than ending up with one big long run-on sentence that obscures what you mean.

For example
    i type like i talk aload of bollox normally i use punctuation when i think before i type, that does not happen very often hence the jumbled up things that i write
    could be
    "I type like I talk, a load of bollox normally. I use punctuation when I think before I type. That does not happen very often, hence the jumbled up things that I write."
    or
    "I type like I talk, a load of bollox. Normally I use punctuation when I think before I type. That does not happen very often, hence the jumbled up things that I write."

The second one makes it sound like you always talk bollox, rather than just normally :-) That's a fairly minor example, but sometimes it can make a big difference to how you're interpreted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]We are one of the most tolerant, decent and respectful cultures in the world i imagine, for which we should be proud but not everyone shares the same view on everything or adopts a uniform attitude to life.

These sorts of public floggings have ruined politics to the point that no politician will every give a straight answer that has any element of personally held opinion or principle and now it seems to be enveloping the whole of society.

He who has no sins and all that may cast the first stone etc.

I'm happy to agree, Rodders. It's true that I probably do overreact against violent sexual language and imagery, perhaps based on (what seems like) a lifetime working with a lot of victims (and perpetrators) of actual sexual violence. It does rather skew the perspective, but I recognise the difference between banter and something worse. I actually think that Keys' behaviour (not particularly about the lineswoman, though that was certainly sexist) went creepily beyond banter. From what I've heard, Jamie R. wasn't comfortable with it.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fair play gilbert and good on you for doing that kind of work mate. Thing is in my (very uneducated and inhibited) mind the sort of people who do the stuff you mention are scum anyway and obviously are mentally unhinged to do such things in the first place. Whether they cite expoure to media images/impressions to be what pushed them over the edge whilst possible is surely not conclusive that it is the decisive factor as such horrendous actions have been committed by loons long before the media was about.

Id say 99% of the male adult population has probably seen p0rn on the internet or at least page 3 yet whilst it may arguably objectify women it doesnt mean it translates into real life for the vast majority of folk. I do however think there is some argument regarding the desensitisation of sex and violence on mainstream tv before the watershed as a lot more shocking stuff seems acceptable on soaps/ hollyoaks than when i was a kid which i think is quite unhealthy as it doesnt always highlight the consequences and is possibly dangerous on young impressionable minds especially if graphic.

I know an ex adult film actress and she did it because she loved it and her boyfriend would see hell freeze over before he disrespected her ,or she let him for that matter, and i just find it difficult for the media to moralise over comments and inuendos in instances like gray and keys whilst at the same time they are the biggest pimps and purveyors of much worse.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Keys has been out of tune with this. He will have to conduct himself better and orchestrate a comeback.
    He has now hit the note with his resignation - it was time Keys faced the music, otherwise he would have fallen flat on his face.
    He isnt as sharp as he thinks he is. Now he knows the score. He thought he was a major Key player. but now he will have to pitch himself to new companies.
    I hope his son (Keys, minor) will get over it. Hopefully there will be harmony in the keys household. I should think the Keys should change their tone.
    It must have struck a chord with him.
    Its not as if Key will be locked up. but he may have to pick a good moment to come back to TV.
    He may have to sell his collectable Allegro.
    Personally I think Mr Keys is a small-scale pianist
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Keys has been out of tune with this. He will have to conduct himself better and orchestrate a comeback.
    He has now hit the note with his resignation - it was time Keys faced the music, otherwise he would have fallen flat on his face.
    He isnt as sharp as he thinks he is. Now he knows the score. He thought he was a major Key player. but now he will have to pitch himself to new companies.
    I hope his son (Keys, minor) will get over it. Hopefully there will be harmony in the keys household. I should think the Keys should change their tone.
    It must have struck a chord with him.
    Its not as if Key will be locked up. but he may have to pick a good moment to come back to TV.
    He may have to sell his collectable Allegro.
    Personally I think Mr Keys is a small-scale pianist

A Grand summing up.
  • Options
    Have to say, just watched the video for the first time and Burton's looking well shifty.
  • Options
    Just seen the Redknapp video, and I think it's projection. Keys' creepy mannerisms. I really think that Keys would like Jamie to be hanging out the back of him. Possibly with the girl watching too. Or something.
  • Options
    In the post-September 11 days at Sky, there was obviously a security drive and in increase in presence of guards on the doors. Sitting on reception, as i did back then, I was chatting to a guard when Andy Gray ran past.

"Can I see your pass please," asked my Nigerian security buddy, whose knowledge of football was non-existent.

"You don't need to see ma pass! I'm the fookin' face of Sky fookin' Sports!" Gray spat back, before slamming the door in anger.

"Who was that?" asked the guard.

"Well....not sure! I suggest you get Security Control down to make sure he has a pass."

Needless to say, Gray was not impressed by half a dozen heavies busting into his studio to insist he show his ID. We were told in no uncertain terms to leave him be in the future. The moral of the story is, anyone who has worked with him would have loved to have leaked that video.
  • Options
    Good call Jimmy
    I have heard several similar stories from a mate (some of which included Gray) but only second-hand.
    Very pleased you have brought us a typical example at first hand.

karma bites em
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the 1980s I knew someone who refused to let the ex-Radio One DJ Simon Bates in without ID - she seemed to be the only person in the whole building who didn't know what he looked like! He was politeness itself though and just thought it was amusing, unlike Mr Gray.
  • Options
    going off topic from Andy Gray but re Jimmy's post above.. the same happened to my friend who was stewarding at a capital radio function. Stopped Johnny Vaughan and lisa snowden for their passes without thinking "passes passes check the F**king face" was his reply. pratt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]going off topic from Andy Gray but re Jimmy's post above.. the same happened to my friend who was stewarding at a capital radio function. Stopped Johnny Vaughan and lisa snowden for their passes without thinking "passes passes check the F**king face" was his reply. pratt.
    Yeah. I've got stories about Vaughan that mark him down as a c*** as well, so that doesn't surprise me.
  • Options
    Do you think you'd get away with it on the No.48 bus if you forgot your Oyster?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]going off topic from Andy Gray but re Jimmy's post above.. the same happened to my friend who was stewarding at a capital radio function. Stopped Johnny Vaughan and lisa snowden for their passes without thinking "passes passes check the F**king face" was his reply. pratt.
    Yeah. I've got stories about Vaughan that mark him down as a c*** as well, so that doesn't surprise me.
    My mate was working for NIN when their tour hit Glasgow, where we're both from. One of the local crew had the temerity to ask to see Trent Reznor's pass when he was bowling to the stage for their encore. For the outrageous affront of doing his job Reznor demanded his security (a large Texan former marine wearing knuckle dusters) duly did this, breaking the lad's jaw. At this point my mate became very aware that the local crew were setting about smashing every bit of furniture that they could find in the Barrowlands into club sized chunks, so he went and advised our Texan friend that it was time to cut the show and move on. He was informed that American's don't run (clearly Vietnam slipped his mind) and that he'd kick any Brits asses that even looked at him funny. My friend attempted to explain to the redneck that Glasgow had a special bond with violence and that it would be best to beat the retreat this time. So, Ross shrugged and hopped on the coach. About one song and one minute later the battered and bloodied bad guys of rock and roll ran squealing onto the bus demanding that the driver got them the f*ck out, pursued by a troupe of small milk-white weegies swedgers armed with table legs.

Summary: rude celebrity pass-attitude does not always go unpunished.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    My mate was working for NIN when their tour hit Glasgow, where we're both from. One of the local crew had the temerity to ask to see Trent Reznor's pass when he was bowling to the stage for their encore. For the outrageous affront of doing his job Reznor demanded his security (a large Texan former marine wearing knuckle dusters) duly did this, breaking the lad's jaw. At this point my mate became very aware that the local crew were setting about smashing every bit of furniture that they could find in the Barrowlands into club sized chunks, so he went and advised our Texan friend that it was time to cut the show and move on. He was informed that American's don't run (clearly Vietnam slipped his mind) and that he'd kick any Brits asses that even looked at him funny. My friend attempted to explain to the redneck that Glasgow had a special bond with violence and that it would be best to beat the retreat this time. So, Ross shrugged and hopped on the coach. About one song and one minute later the battered and bloodied bad guys of rock and roll ran squealing onto the bus demanding that the driver got them the f*ck out, pursued by a troupe of small milk-white weegies swedgers armed with table legs.

Summary: rude celebrity pass-attitude does not always go unpunished.
    LOL. Salutary lesson learned by everyone the world over when they first come into contact with them: Never, ever, under any circumstances, fuck with Glaswegians.
  • Options
    Posted By: ken from bexley
    My son who comes from three generations of fire fighters, failed even to get an interview, from the LFB

But Ken, how is this relevant to whether he's any good at the job?

Well it used to be called a service...... when of course we had public service, and that used to mean that if your Grandparents,mothers brother, and there children and there children, who have all been in the fire service, albeit mainly in essex, that would count for something. not a lot but a least a consideration.

My son, is quite happy to compete with candidates on a level playing field, either through physical, or intellectual tests, but when there is a quota, the 'tradition' to give any consideration is appears is swept aside in the tidal rush to 'balance society'. Not sure this works as if you want to change society, become a politician, or a lawyer, or polictical pr spin master!, this seems like 'tokenism' to me.

Of course he could always ask his cousin who is the assistant chief fire officer of essex, to 'assist him' . Mean moving to essex of course, as you have to be within 20 minutes of the station!, I guess we will have to see if he is good enough for the LFB!.
  • Options
    I think Trent is well known in the music business as 'the cock of rock' - I read a couple of Henry Rollins books where he relates tales of his dickishness and how he used to deliberately wind him up and take the piss out of him and the poor little thing (sorry, goth tough guy) would squeal and throw tantrums like a 4 year old girl.

Glad to hear he messed with some Weegies and learned one of life's immutable rules the hard way!
  • Options
    Let the above be a lesson to anyone who contemplates arguing with me on here ;-)
  • Options
    Is that a good book Biggie? I like Rollins, did a good recent turn on Sons of Anarchy - he's a very versatile character.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I beg to differ
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]I beg to differ

Is that because you are Middle Class Nolly?
  • Options
    ha ha
  • Options
    It's such a confusing tale of non-existing entities and opinions it just gets lost in its own pompousness
  • Options
    " In fact i will often refrain from arguing on here for example with a female poster or disagreeing as passionatley in real life with someone if they are a woman out of respect for the fact they are a women and ive been taught to give extra respect to women....as sexist as that may be."

Why didn't your parents just teach you to be respectful to people? Then you wouldn't need to have a patronising distinction between who can engage you in debate and who cannot.
  • Options
    talk about picking people up on lines DRF and taking things out of context, I thought that was a very admirable post
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]

I've seen some shit journalism in my time but that shower is hilarious

I find the implication that only middle class people have manners and respect for women somewhat patronising.

Still nothing like using the behaviour of tossers like Gray and Keys to bash the working class.
  • Options
    entirely agree Len the whole thing is a confused ramble that assumes all Johnny come lately football fans are M/C and all the diehards are W/C... it isn't a class war, it's the difference between 1) knowing about football or not and 2) right and wrong