Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Cheers big fella
  • sorry to hear that mate, all the best to you and the family.
  • T.C.E. i've got a staffy who was great with other dogs until he turned one, now I can't let him off the lead as he is aggressive to other dogs he is nearly 7 now, do you reckon it's too late to educate him.It's funny he was brought up as a puppy with my cousins dogwho he sees once a year, I can put both of them in the back of my car and he is absolutely fine with him. My cousins dog is a sprocker.
  • Cheers Steve mate
  • Just had a read back on this thread. Very sad to hear the news on the lovely Stella.

We dog sat over Christmas for a mate's Cavachon. Even Ian wasnt too embarrassed walking it as he was a solid little thing. Loved it. He was cute and easy to look after. A cross between a Cavalier King Charles and a Bishcon Frisee. Got to think on about getting one.

• Thats a real shame Shag

the newfoundland was the breed of Nanny in peter Pan i think

might be wrong

Great breed

hope your alright
  • I think that might have been a St. Bernard mate , although very similar dogs .

Absolutely gutted
  • So sorry to hear this sad news Shag. Thoughts with you and family
  • Cheers fella
  • Steve, I need an honest answer. ;)
    The last time he played with another dog was?

I'm guessing he's forgotten he's a dog.

How is he with other dogs, while on the lead?
    1, Does he want to rip lumps out of the as they come into view
    2, Stare at them and then start barking as they pass.
    3, Good as gold on the lead.
  • Sponsored links:

• @ Shag

Really sorry to hear the news about your Stella. I reckon she will have had a great life, judging from your obvious love for her. No doubt many great memories will always stay with you.

All the best mate.
  • Your right mate in the cartoon and film nana was a st Bernard but

Luath: Landseer Newfoundland pet of J. M. Barrie and the inspiration for "Nana", the Darling children's nurse in Peter Pan.

The best kids book in the world used the newfoundland as its inspiration for nana

Just shows what great stock your beauty came from

All the best
  • @shag we have had to say goodbye to 3 of our GSD's...this poem that Ive copied from my website may help mate-:

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
    Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
    Where the friends of man and woman do run,
    When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
    Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
    On this golden land, they wait and they play,
    Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
    For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
    Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
    Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
    Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
    All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
    Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
    Together again, both person and pet.
    So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
    The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
    Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
    They embrace with a love that will last forever,
    And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

Always helps me when we have had to say goodbye to our dogs.
  • Ray the last time he played with a dog was apart from my cousins dog about 5 years ago.

He makes that horrible aggressive noise as a dog gets close. However he is waggy his tail at the same time.

I used to love taking him over to Footscray Meadows for hours when he was a pup. However when my wife had him out one day when he was pup a dog attacked him and bit her. Although he has never latched on to another dog, I don't feel as if I can take the chance.I personally feel his is scared so goes on the offensive straight away.
  • Sorry mate, but I think your scared (and rightly so) of any consequences, should your dog bite another.

Think of the lead as a transmitting arial............ You see a dog coming towards you, think oh sh*t wrap the lead around your hand or grab the lead with you second hand just to be on the safe side. Your tension goes straight down the lead, your dog feels the stress and feels he has to protect you, because that what he thinks he's there for! He also (I believe) has forgotten how to play, I know your a busy man but give me a shout if you want to get him around dogs. Bailey worked with Drake (another CL dog) and all we did was left Drake in the car and we walked past the car a few times, then took Drake from the car and lay him down on the lead while Bailey walked past continously, then we reversed it and Drake walked past Bailey while he lay down, the progressed to walking past each other. ANY!!! eye contact between the dogs was addressed with a correction with the lead (No, not trying to rip the dogs head off) just gentle tug or a verbal "Arrh" once again its about getting the dogs focus, the session ended with the two dogs laying side by side, I believe there's a photo somewhere. I'll guess you walk your dog with a lead a couple of sh*t bags and thats it, nothing to keep the dogs focus should see another dog a favourite toy or treat will do it. Bring your dog over or I'll come over when I have transport again and we'll get him playing again or I was told "Let him be a Dog"......... :)
  • I'll come over to you Ray, I think your right he probably feels my tension.It would probably have to be a Sunday.PM me your number and I'll give you a buzz.
  • And let us know what Sunday afternoon Steve. We could all have a recap after the session about how it's gone in the Bull.
  • Shag - shame. That's a cracking looking dog.
  • Cheers all , fcking welling up again now reading that
  • T.C.E said:

Sorry mate, but I think your scared (and rightly so) of any consequences, should your dog bite another.

Think of the lead as a transmitting arial............ You see a dog coming towards you, think oh sh*t wrap the lead around your hand or grab the lead with you second hand just to be on the safe side. Your tension goes straight down the lead, your dog feels the stress and feels he has to protect you, because that what he thinks he's there for! He also (I believe) has forgotten how to play, I know your a busy man but give me a shout if you want to get him around dogs. Bailey worked with Drake (another CL dog) and all we did was left Drake in the car and we walked past the car a few times, then took Drake from the car and lay him down on the lead while Bailey walked past continously, then we reversed it and Drake walked past Bailey while he lay down, the progressed to walking past each other. ANY!!! eye contact between the dogs was addressed with a correction with the lead (No, not trying to rip the dogs head off) just gentle tug or a verbal "Arrh" once again its about getting the dogs focus, the session ended with the two dogs laying side by side, I believe there's a photo somewhere. I'll guess you walk your dog with a lead a couple of sh*t bags and thats it, nothing to keep the dogs focus should see another dog a favourite toy or treat will do it. Bring your dog over or I'll come over when I have transport again and we'll get him playing again or I was told "Let him be a Dog"......... :)

Sorry Ray I will get that pic up as soon as I can find my phones USB lead! :-)

• Sponsored links:

• Shag said:

Cheers all , fcking welling up again now reading that

Sorry @shag... it (the poem) was supposed to help...eventually it will...I hope.
  • I'll come over to you Ray, I think your right he probably feels my tension.It would probably have to be a Sunday.PM me your number and I'll give you a buzz.

Steve I'll be in the Liberal tomorrow. I've sorted out my car issues (bought another one) and the boy (Bailey) is improving daily (say's he trying not to jinx him again). If you cant dont make it I'll drop you my number.

• Curb_It said:

And let us know what Sunday afternoon Steve. We could all have a recap after the session about how it's gone in the Bull.

Have you met the Landlords two dogs "Rufus and Leaburn" yet ??

• T.C.E said:

Curb_It said:

And let us know what Sunday afternoon Steve. We could all have a recap after the session about how it's gone in the Bull.

Have you met the Landlords two dogs "Rufus and Leaburn" yet ??

By the way thats a great idea, here's Bailey starting to get some condition back after months of being pulled about by vets. :)

• TCE i have the same problem as Steve if possible I would love to meet up and let my female staff play with your dogs as I fill she doesn't get exercised properly as she is always on a lead if interested I'll inbox you my number.
  • No worrys mate, I wouldnt use Xena she is very much "work in progress" and Bailey doesnt do playing. But your more than welcome to introduce your dog to him. Just out of interest.........Always on a lead? ...........No recall???
    Is that why???
  • Cracking photo ..@Big Rob
  • When she see's another dog I might as well not be there only comes back when she thinks I have a ball or stick for her. she's fine with other dogs when on a lead but if they start sniffing around her far to long she can snap. all started when she was younger her lead got tangled with another dog so she bit the other dogs ear and the other dog bit my misses while she untangled the leads
  • We can work on that issue first if you like?
    Firstly lose the stick, please.... to dangerous, firstly for the dog and secondly rapped across the shins it hurts. ;)
    Right, please correct me if I'm wrong, your dog when off the lead dont recall if it see's another dog because when call him from what he's doing, you hold the ball high and call her name and maybe bounce it a few times? Honest answers, it does help. ;)