Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• T.C.E said:

Never had any other breed except Sheps, but getting a pup of any breed is a clean slate to work with. The downside I believe of it being the second dog is if the first dog is allowed to run riot the puppy will follow suit, if the first dog is trained to a standard acceptable to you the puppy will learn very quick his/her habits. Xena learned very quickly from Bailey and was walking to heel of the lead in a week, bearing in mind she is a rescue I was very surprised at that, all I had to do was control Bailey and being inseparable from him she followed suit. One or two people have said to me in the past, I can't let him/her off the lead they just run for the hills. That's is because to a dog we are boring, let your dog of the lead and stand with your hands in your pockets, I'll give the dog 30 seconds before it sods off to find a tree to sniff, let it go and jump around like a loony and scream like a banshee it won't leave your side, because like your neighbours it will be thinking WTF. But it works....... ;)
    We will be in West Malling at midday for small show at a local fair, if one is going see you there.......

Thanks TCE. Evie is well trained and has been known to give pups a piece of her mind when they get out of order, so sounds ok.
  • TCE he's named after a whisky!
    We had one class to help with sit and stay but at the moment we are trying to get along ourselves. He's ok at coming when called mostly, potty training is fine now. It's just getting him to listen to every command. But he is just a pup so I'm sure it will happen.
  • East stand............ He doesn't know what you are asking is my bet.
    You can call sit, stay, fetch, down or whatever, he's a baby. You have to teach him what the words mean first ..............
    Give the command "AFTER" he does what you want.
    Plenty of enthusiasm from yourselves, using treats or toys whichever works.
    Get the focus of your dog he needs to be making eye contact with you to see what you want. Show him the treat, wave it under his nose and as he follows it, lift your hand up to your face. If you wear glasses, imagine pushing them back on you nose. As your dog follows the treat and makes eye contact. "Watch me" is the command and reward with the treat and plenty of fuss.
    "Sit" with a puppy is easy...... Treat in hand, show the treat and lift treat over puppies head. This forces puppies backside down, if he backs away rather than sitting use the wall/sofa so he cant go backwards. As he sits, again give the command and reward.
    "Down" again treat in hand, lower your hand to the floor so puppies nose hits the floor. If his backside is stuck up in the air, use your hand to push him completely to the floor before again the command is given rewarding with a treat. If you are local and you want a hand just shout.............
  • Lola is home today and she is adorable now to remember not to teach her to sit on command but to stand

• Its all too much for a young pup
  • She looks absolutely gorgeous nla. I won't show my missus or she'll be banging on even more about getting another puppy!
  • Just remind yourself that they cry like a baby when first home and put in cage for bed

#doingknowledgeon3hrskip=bad
  • Just remind yourself that they cry like a baby when first home and put in cage for bed

#doingknowledgeon3hrskip=bad

Whose doing the nights? Lol
    How's she settling mate?
    I miss all that 2am & 4 am taking Bailey out for a dump. Now he has the run of the house at night, persevere with the crate training it's worth it in the long run. Even now Bailey will choose to go back to his crate for a kip, that's when you know you've cracked it when they opt for the crate.

• I did mate she cried for a bit but soon went to sleep then cried for a pish went a kip cried for a poop

The cage is a must mate as i would rather suffer this age than the other
  • My springer is nearly two. I'm currently trying to crack down on his stealing habit. He steals everything but mainly small things (he loves my packs of rizlas and filters for my roll ups). The problem is as soon as he steals something he legs it and hides somewhere that is hard to get him like under the table. I realised the reason he does this is because I chase him and try to force them from his mouth. Instead of this I've started keeping treats so when he gets something I tell him what a good boy he is, call him over and say drop and give him a treat and then throw his ball for him. It seems to be working but it will probably take a while for him to stop. If anyone has any further tips it would be much appreciated.
  • Sponsored links:

• My springer is nearly two. I'm currently trying to crack down on his stealing habit. He steals everything but mainly small things (he loves my packs of rizlas and filters for my roll ups). The problem is as soon as he steals something he legs it and hides somewhere that is hard to get him like under the table. I realised the reason he does this is because I chase him and try to force them from his mouth. Instead of this I've started keeping treats so when he gets something I tell him what a good boy he is, call him over and say drop and give him a treat and then throw his ball for him. It seems to be working but it will probably take a while for him to stop. If anyone has any further tips it would be much appreciated.

As you say, its the thrill of the chase.
    Get an empty pack of Rizzlas, smear with "Vic's sinex" and leave in the normal place. It makes his eyes water the same as it would do us and as their sense of smell is so much better than ours he wont even have to get that close.
    Short of that a water pistol will get him out from under the table. ;)

I may have this wrong from your post: But never tell your dog he's a good boy until he's done what you ask and use one system of reward, a favourite toy or a treat. If its a treat, never give one without insisting your dog works for it.
  • The crying kills you ray thats the thing i am not going to faulter keep telling myself that no
    Harm will come to her she just needs to get used to it and all will be fine but she is crying like mad right now 8(
  • The crying kills you ray thats the thing i am not going to faulter keep telling myself that no
    Harm will come to her she just needs to get used to it and all will be fine but she is crying like mad right now 8(

Put a radio near her crate with LBC on, she'll be a kip in no time....... :)

• Roxy at 5 weeks and then at 6 months
  • Thats a fine looking animal zinedine
  • Thanks Nla, she's a good girl but like a big baby sometimes!
  • They all are babies ZB.
    She looks good though............
  • My daughters called Lola NLA, she's 14 and still cry's when she don't get her own way ;-) , so how's the start of the knowledge going ?
  • Puka mate really enjoying it apart from getting caught inbetween the BNP the EDL the badger huggers and the anti facists so i couldnt complete the bridge work i was doing as the OB shut some of them and millbank was closed

Going back in this evening and then bang at it proper from monday

I got my dictaphone the maps and books the garden is now done so that i can store my bike and get in and out easily

I went to school for the first time in years weds and i need to learn how to learn again

But buzzing about it all

• Up all night crying wears you out

Yawn

• Sponsored links:

• My boy starting to get back in coat, he's been out of condition for so long and the fecking weather dont help.
    You out with the dog later NLA, then the Pub with Curb_it? ;)image
  • Could well be ray will text B in a while still in nth london at the mo i will be going to mums soon
  • edited June 2013

Could well be ray will text B in a while still in nth london at the mo i will be going to mums soon

Just shout when you get over, just a short walk because of the "Baby" then retire to the pub. ;)

• edited June 2013
    Hello we will probably head up pub in an hour or so to enjoy the weather! Be there by four. So please don't worry too much Nla if that doesn't suit. Else pop in pub garden. We have dog sitting dog with us also so it could be like crufts!

• I'll walk Bailey in half hour and see you there. ;)
  • Thanks for the "lie down" trick T.C.E, it worked a treat! Got it down in under an hour :)
  • No problem..................... I'm laying down right now in less than 5 pints. When it works it all seems so simple, its only us that makes it complicated......
  • Well last night was better

Put lola in crate and went to bed about 11 she
    Cried yapped and whimpered for half hr then silence till half 5 when she let me know she wanted a wee

Getting there as the hrs are longer before she wakes

Certainly a happy dog full of charecter already so glad she is here the house is complete it feels

• Curb_it took what looked a great photo of Bailey, Micky and Charlie in the pub garden NLA. He looks so well and behaved like a true Gent. Any chance I could have a copy please B?
  • Well last night was better

Put lola in crate and went to bed about 11 she
    Cried yapped and whimpered for half hr then silence till half 5 when she let me know she wanted a wee

Getting there as the hrs are longer before she wakes

Certainly a happy dog full of charecter already so glad she is here the house is complete it feels

Perseverance NLA. I put my Border Collie in a kennel on the patio from day one, with a big ticking clock. After a week she was settled at night and eventually would ask to go out when she was ready to kip for the night. It's all worth it in the long run.