Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semedo off to Greece ?

Comments

• Options
    What with Jose being our POTY, speaks volumes about the quality of the rest of the squad. A decent player with limitations, IMHO. I wouldn't be disappointed if he left. As Stone said, we need a fresh start and that's right accross the board.
  • Options
    Very interesting to note how many of you describe our Player of the Season.
    I am still amazed at how he won it. It's similar to when Matty Holland won it in 07/08. He may have tried hard, but I cannot accept an argument that he was our best performer last year.

That said, I'd still like him to stay, but hopefully not as the mainstay of our team in the middle of a 4-4-2.
  • Options
    Really Dabos? Can you name anyone else who deserved it more? Not saying he was great - just interested to see if there are any candidates even remotely close to Semedo.
  • Options
    I think we will and ought to try to keep him. Having said that it will depend what we might have to pay and who would we could get for the same money - simple
  • Options
    @Leroy Ambrose

I'd say Johnnie Jackson was the most deserving. 13 goals in 29 games was an excellent return. I also thought Waggy pushed on significantly from last season. Yes he is frustrating at times, but I saw a big improvement from him and a significant downturn for Semedo, who performed far worse than he did in 09/10. BWP also did well, but can understand why he didn't win simply because he didn't join til January.
  • Options
    Jackson didn't play a whole season though. I f he had, and kept up that form, he'd have won it hands down and we would have finished higher for sure. Semedo over the entire season was more consistent.
  • Options
    If I was confident the club was going to replace Semedo with someone better Id feel easier about letting him go.
    But I'm not, so pay the man and sign him up again
  • Options
    Why we should keep him if at all possible, where do I start?

1. He has been stuck for most of the season, trying to support a defence, especially in the centre, which has no pace at all and sits far too deep. He has been heroic in that role
    2. He has a great determination and strength and were it not for his tireless performances week in week out we could have been staring at much worse
    3. Last season in the early games, he liked extremely well with Racon, and Shelvey. Our performance against Tranmere away, was perhaps the pinnacle. He was able on occasion to break forward and support the attack. Unfortunately as I mentioned above, he was unable to do this except in later games under CP, when CP experimented with him getting forward
    4. He is an excellent tackler, he is decent in the air, and he can hold the ball and pass it.

Those who cannot see why he is such a key player for us are often the same people who couldn't see any merit in Kish either.
  • Options

You can't fault his effort. But for the past few seasons he has been in the middle of the park most weeks and the past few seasons have also been unsuccessful.

He is therefore part of the problem and we need an entire shake up to get us playing decent football and winning more games.

A player like Parret will score and create goals. Maybe if we sure up the back four we won't need to worry about a defensive midfielder.

I love Jose, but it doesn't seem right to play with such a defensive approach each week.

• Options
    Every team in the land needs a defensive midfielder. I wonder if Barcelona fans debate the importance of Busquets?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Semedo is as good as people are saying on this thread, then there will be a queue of clubs wanting to sign him now that he is out of contract. Every club in the Premier & Championship will have covered at least a couple of our matches this season and would have seen him play.
  • Options
    I think Semedo will end up at a Championship club with ambitions of the Premier League. Leicester have been mentioned and that would be a good move for him. People hoping he leaves us need to look at the alternative - McCormack. Parrett is a good player and if he is coming back then I see no reason why him and Semedo can't play together with some proper wingers either side of them and overlapping full backs.
  • Options
    Forget McCormack. CP has shown he isn't part of his plans and I very much doubt he will be here. He will be 'encouraged' to go.
  • Options

We can't let too many of our players go, otherwise we will be trying to recruit around 15-20 new players.

if that is the case we will not be able to bed them all in & won't be able to get a team to gel quickley enough & we will be looking at another few years in this "lovely" league.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I respect everybody has a different view but surely most of us can see what Semedo offers the team and that losing him would be a massive loss- He did win player of the season so we must do. By all means take the simplistic stance but fortunately most of us might actually analyse based on what we see.
  • Options

It's not about what we think of Semedo, it's only about money and how much is on offer to him.

He will only stay in SE7  if no-one else is prepared to pay more for him.

If he does stay it will only prove he ain't that good after all because no-one else wanted hs services.

We could then delude oursleves that rejection & greed equals loyalty but on balance better to see him go and play well elsewhere.

• Options
    I respect everybody has a different view but surely most of us can see what Semedo offers the team and that losing him would be a massive loss- He did win player of the season so we must do. By all means take the simplistic stance but fortunately most of us might actually analyse based on what we see.

I think we all analyse based on what we actually see it's just that we all have different opinions on what we see. I think BWP works hard for example whilst others think he's lazy. It's all about opinions. My opinion is we will be better off without Semedo because he stifles our play.
  • Options
    Semedo has a part to play, but I wouldn't want to build a team around him. For all his strengths, he is a very defensive player and playing to his strengths would most likely result in a defensive team. I think a bit of flair and imagination going forward is needed, and Jose is not renowned for either.
  • Options
    Meanwhile Scott Parker the football writer's player of the year has just been relegated with West Ham.

It's a team game, Jose has been a great player for us, and will be a better one if he's given a better team around him. Hating on him because it's a weak team isn't going to get us anywhere.  

Parker's awards were based on his exceptional personal performances in a particularly crappy side. Probably more so because he was playing in such a bad team his individual performance stood out even more. As a senior pro at West Ham he stood up the plate and did what he could to stop the rot and drive his limp wristed team mates on. Could the same be said about JS over the course of the season (alebit in a relative position)?

The correlation between Parker playing and West Ham picking up points was there for all to see but can the same be said for Jose?  I don't think so.

I'm not saying, and I don't think others are either, that Jose is a poor player by any means, he's clearly not, but IF we are going to be paying a large chunk of our budget for him I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be the stand out player for us. I don't think he has been, despite his own POTY award.

• Options

That said, I'd still like him to stay, but hopefully not as the mainstay of our team in the middle of a 4-4-2.
    Agree with dabos on this. He is a good player, but not what we need if we're going to play exciting passing football in a 4-4-2. I don't think Powell encouraging him to get forward more often will really change that either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was amazed Semedo won player of the year. I can only assume this was because he has a good song?!

Thought he was brilliant the last ten games of the playoff season, but awful pretty much all this year. Doesn't tackle particularly well, can't pass accurately and offers nothing going forward as far as I'm concerned.

Wouldn't be too fussed he was released. I would only offer him a new contract (1yr maybe on massively reduced terms) as a bench warmer and someone who can "do a job" in a  couple of different positions.

Would like to see a fresh midfield next year please, with a bit of agression and pace. No more sideways / backwards passes...

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Semedo is fine as a central player in a 4-4-2 as long as his partner is a creative player that can pick a pass, carry the ball and score goals. You don't need both central midfielders to contribute in the final third to play good football or to be successful. It's Racon that's the problem. He isn't a wide midfielder. He doesn't do enough as a central midfielder as part of a 4-4-2 unless we ditch Semedo but then if you pair Racon with someone of Parrett's ilk the midfield looks like a seive. Racon will only produce his best more consistently as part of a narrow tripartite in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 which we don't have the physical, well-rounded centre forward to employ.
  • Options
    semedo's not the best player technically in the squad. not the goalscorer not the midfield rock. but he is a charlton player. SCP said he wanted players who wore the shirt with pride and semedo does that. and he is good enough for this league with the right players alongside him
  • Options
    good battler, poor player end of.

seeing as he was our player of the season I'd rather keep him than most Good Battler for this and the championship great player for this league. He improved so much as the season wore on.
  • Options

For me there's only a handful of games in this league that you could really look to play such a defensive midfielder ........... that's not knocking his ability, I think he would have no trouble playing for a championship side in that role, but when you have teams setting up defensively at home and you need to break teams down and put pressure higher up the pitch I'm not convinced he's the guy!

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Trust me, if what I think is about to happen in the transfer market happens, you'll be wishing Semedo had stayed. We haven't got a pot to piss on or a window to throw it out of - next year's 'back four protector' will be McOxo.

If he's off, then good luck to him - he's been our only player of any class for about three years now. Anyone who thinks he's crap knows as much about football as I know about macrame.
    class? trust me... right. wake up
  • Options
    Our "fans" have less loyalty than a bucket of shite and even less football knowledge.  Take away the screen on our ponderous back four and this season will look like good news
    turning up and paying your money is loyalty - being able to recognise Semedo is a poor footballer has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Very interesting to note how many of you describe our Player of the Season.
    I am still amazed at how he won it. It's similar to when Matty Holland won it in 07/08. He may have tried hard, but I cannot accept an argument that he was our best performer last year.

i expected him to win it - great effort and attitude. They are the sort of players who normally win it - doesn't stop him from being a poor player
  • Options
    Semedo Woah ohh
    Semedo Woah ohh
    He comes from Portugal
    We don't rate you at all

I'm sure that's not how the song for our POTY goes.
  • Options
    Semedo Woah ohh Semedo Woah ohh He comes from Portugal We don't rate you at all I'm sure that's not how the song for our POTY goes.
    if you listen carefully it does - just like the 'Thierry Racon, Thierry Racon, be glad when your gone, be glad when your gone' . If we're not looking to build a side with better players than these then our new owners might as well try and sell up now.