Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semedo off to Greece ?

Comments

• Options
    Always easy to blame his "playing partner" for the central midfield not working. The most unnatural midfield player ever seen at Charlton during my lifetime and quite clearly a square peg in a round hole. Never hear him being talked about by other teams supporters and overlooked by his fellow professionals who must also know nothing about football for not recognising his greatness. No point arguing with those who fail to realise the stalemate he causes us, especially at home, where we are so easy to defend against with an ineffective midfielder who can be ignored by the opposition, Great defender mind !
  • Options
    Trust me, if what I think is about to happen in the transfer market happens, you'll be wishing Semedo had stayed. We haven't got a pot to piss on or a window to throw it out of - next year's 'back four protector' will be McOxo.

If he's off, then good luck to him - he's been our only player of any class for about three years now. Anyone who thinks he's crap knows as much about football as I know about macrame.

This is the problem, we are forever wishing away our best players and they just get replaced by poorer ones.
  • Options
    Meanwhile Scott Parker the football writer's player of the year has just been relegated with West Ham.

It's a team game, Jose has been a great player for us, and will be a better one if he's given a better team around him. Hating on him because it's a weak team isn't going to get us anywhere.  

Parker's awards were based on his exceptional personal performances in a particularly crappy side. Probably more so because he was playing in such a bad team his individual performance stood out even more. As a senior pro at West Ham he stood up the plate and did what he could to stop the rot and drive his limp wristed team mates on. Could the same be said about JS over the course of the season (albeit in a relative position)?

The correlation between Parker playing and West Ham picking up points was there for all to see but can the same be said for Jose?  I don't think so.

I'm not saying, and I don't think others are either, that Jose is a poor player by any means, he's clearly not, but IF we are going to be paying a large chunk of our budget for him I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be the stand out player for us. I don't think he has been, despite his own POTY award.

• Options
    Meanwhile Scott Parker the football writer's player of the year has just been relegated with West Ham.

It's a team game, Jose has been a great player for us, and will be a better one if he's given a better team around him. Hating on him because it's a weak team isn't going to get us anywhere.  

Parker's awards were based on his exceptional personal performances in a particularly crappy side. Probably more so because he was playing in such a bad team his individual performance stood out even more. As a senior pro at West Ham he stood up the plate and did what he could to stop the rot and drive his limp wristed team mates on. Could the same be said about JS over the course of the season (albeit in a relative position)?

The correlation between Parker playing and West Ham picking up points was there for all to see but can the same be said for Jose?  I don't think so.

I'm not saying, and I don't think others are either, that Jose is a poor player by any means, he's clearly not, but IF we are going to be paying a large chunk of our budget for him I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be the stand out player for us. I don't think he has been, despite his own POTY award.

in my book he's a poor central midfield player and i bet if you asked the midfielders who had played with him you wouldn't get the same response as you would from those who played with the likes of Kishishev or even Keith Jones. Kishishev was virtually captain of his country - to compare his game to that of Semedo's is an insult. I am a better footballer than Semedo. I can't tackle as well or have his power but if i had his level of fitness, at his age, i would use the ball better than him. Nr.1 above is spot on.

• Options
    I am a better footballer than Semedo

No you really are not, otherwise you would be out there playing for us
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    no, i'm 40 years old but i could use the ball better than Semedo - smart arse - he's a defender playing in midfield.  
  • Options
    Being a defender and where he plays on the pitch has nothing to do with it, although he isn't a playmaker he can trap and pass a ball at full tilt with pressure on him and still pick out all sorts of passes, which hit the target 95% of the time. That is something which, speaking in generalities, a non professional player cannot do, no matter how good they deem themselves to be. 

I am 20, and I am a left footed winger, and personally I reckon I could have made more of an impact than Reid did this season (would have been a pretty easy feat to be honest) but in reality there is no chance in hell that I would be able to match his skill, control, vision and shooting power/accuracy, that's why he is the pro and I am not.
  • Options
    that's your point of view and you are entitled to it - i am happy in the knowledge that i would use the ball better than Semedo - couldn't match a lot of his other assets but i think you'd be surprised just how little there is between the natural ability of professional footballers and non professionals. The day in day out training and playing widens the gap incredibly. I accept that there are great players who are literally in a different league to the rest but not Semedo. I could use the ball better than him if my fitness level was the same. It's nota  fact, it's an opinion and i'm happy with it.
  • Options
    Every year we have people on here keen to see the back of our better players becuase they seem to think we will replace them with worlf beaters - it has not happened in years and it won't this season either.  Semedo is undoubtably one of our better players and unless we are bringing in 25 better ones I hope we can keep him....obviously not at any cost and hopefully as a defender but certainly as a key member of the first team.
  • Options
    that's your point of view and you are entitled to it - i am happy in the knowledge that i would use the ball better than Semedo - couldn't match a lot of his other assets but i think you'd be surprised just how little there is between the natural ability of professional footballers and non professionals. The day in day out training and playing widens the gap incredibly. I accept that there are great players who are literally in a different league to the rest but not Semedo. I could use the ball better than him if my fitness level was the same. It's nota  fact, it's an opinion and i'm happy with it.
    Ohhh - now that's a shame. You were doing so well there, then you went and said something as utterly, side-clenchingly laughable as this and have mugged yourself off. Never mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm a better footballer than Semedo - shouldn't that sort of crap be posted on Football Rumours?
  • Options
    How anyone can claim (unless they play at a very high amateur level or have extreme mitigating circumstances as to why they didn't make it) that they are equal to a professional player is beyond me.

How many of us played with people at school who were at that time almost untouchable, a real cut above, sheer class... and how many of those ended up making it?

We like to criticise footballers, of course we do, we fund their existence through our tickets, our shirts and our tv subscriptions so we feel like we have a stake in them, especially when they pull on "our" colours. But the truth is they are on a totally different level.
  • Options
    Got to agree that the throw away line 'I could to better than him' when referring to a professional footballer has no substance for someone who has only played at amateur level themselves. In my experience of playing with a couple of ex pro footballers, albeit at vets leve, they were a cut above the rest of us and as much as I don't rate Francis or McOxo, even they are better than all of us amateur players at our prime IMHO. Where's Dave Rudd for an expert opinion?
  • Options
    Really hope we are able to keep Semedo, great attitude and defensive qualities, just the "type" we need to have around the club. I'm sure he'll be loved just as much playing in the back four. You never know, he might actually look like he belongs there...................................................
  • Options
    One of the most frustrating players I have seen at Charlton. Wound me up on numerous occasions this season giving away stupid free kicks in dangerous positions, not being able to even pass sideways sometimes, gave the ball away far too much and as for shooting, well, the less said about that the better. I can't fault him for his effort but don't think that evens up his bad points. 
  • Options
    Letting go of our best players get you nowhere. Play to people's strengths will get the best out of them. Semedo's is breaking up play then giving a simple ball for Racon/Waggy etc to do something with it. Semedo isn't the problem in this team far from it. The fact we don't have a keeper or a defence, a target man to hold up play or a creative midfielder who is consistent to create goals for BWP and wingers who turn up once every two months there's our problem.
  • Options
    Bexley Dan - today's humorous interlude. Well done BD, but I reckon Leroy called you right.
  • Options
    By the way, I'm a better player than Bexley Dan - and I'm bobbins.
  • Options

There IS a reason why fans like him, why he has been voted POTY. Its because he cares. Its because he looks at the covered end and claps us off and beats his chest when we cheer his name. Its because he connects with us better than any of the other lot can. We shouldn't be begging for people like this to leave, especially in the situation we're in.

I agree he is not technically gifted, but him accepting a new deal that is likely to be half of what he is on at the moment should be welcomed imo. As good as they are, midfielders like racon, eccelstone etc aren't whats required to escape this tin pot league. It's players with sound defensive/battling qualities and/or box-to-box engine-roomers with an eye for goal that we need.

I believe its what players we surround Semedo with that is important, rather than looking for a replacement for the one chink of light in a desperately poor team.

• Options
    Is Jose really so technically limited? He's got as good a first touch as anyone in our team and is totally comfortable on the ball, often turning away from tight situations and his passing is usually crisp and acurate. Okay, he's not the most expansive or visionary user of a ball (although he does play some nice crossfield passes) but that doesn't mean he couldn't trap a bag of cement. Powell has also been encouraging him to get forward. Again, he's not going to be threading through balls left, right and centre but his goal vs Orient and the two times he came close to scoring vs Huddersfield showed that he can get a few goals, maybe 3 to 5 a season, if he is told/allowed to gamble a bit more. If he could do that he'd be scoring as many as Keith Jones ever did and more than Kish.

On top of that he can be counted on to cover every blade of grass, fight for the right to play and lead by example. You'll never see Jose backing out of 50:50 like supposed hardman McCormack continually did. He's an extremely fit and strong athlete to boot.

Parret and Stewart are supposedly more talented and better all round midfielders, but anyone who saw Wallsall waltzing through our midfield at the Bescott while Jose was suspened will realise how important he is to us and how, as much as we all love watching the cultured, talented midfielders no team lasts long without some steel and defensive guts.

Give him better creative support in the form of a central partner and wingers who can create chances (not just score goals - Waggy) and you'll see him shine. If Semedo had been Kins' partner, not Jones, Kins would rate Semedo just has highly imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I think he was so much better in 09/10 where he had his best spell at the club last season there were so many cringeworthy simple errors from him that mcoxo would have been hung out to die for
    Semedo gets away with it due to his raw aggression that gets our fans excited and most of ours would prefer a headless chicken running around in circles going nowhere than watching someone who creates moments of magic that win games but isn't all action
    He is so limited as a creative footballer it scares me and he hasn't got a great touch or decent passing ability
    As said above by others his defensive ability is good and is his finest asset.
    And no matter what anyone thinks the key factor in semedo's decision to stay will be cash and he has been one of the most overly paid players during this most shameful of times during our existance , that's not his fault but that's a FACT
    I'd like to see him stay as a squad member but obviously it depends how much the invisible owners want to spend of their invisible money ....
    I'm sure if semedo's that good there'll be a queue of teams trying to secure his signature now he is out of contract
  • Options
    It really does make me laugh that people say he has no ability, they forget he is the only player we have had these last two years who could spread the play out to either wing.  Like Llera's diagonal balls to the right wing, these were driven and hard to defend and usually in front of the player
  • Options
    Ohhh - now that's a shame. You were doing so well there, then you went and said something as utterly, side-clenchingly laughable as this and have mugged yourself off. Never mind.
    Your just jealous, it's normally you mugging yourself off - livened up a very dull board at the moment though hasn't it? Semedo - class, yeah alright. I stand by my statement.
  • Options
    How anyone can claim (unless they play at a very high amateur level or have extreme mitigating circumstances as to why they didn't make it) that they are equal to a professional player is beyond me.

How many of us played with people at school who were at that time almost untouchable, a real cut above, sheer class... and how many of those ended up making it?

We like to criticise footballers, of course we do, we fund their existence through our tickets, our shirts and our tv subscriptions so we feel like we have a stake in them, especially when they pull on "our" colours. But the truth is they are on a totally different level.
    Played with plenty of players at schoolboy level who went on to play pro footballer - stand by my statement - i was a better central midfield 'footballer' than Semedo - probably the most limited ball player i have ever seen playing for us in midfield. Not saying i was good enough to bea  pro - i wasn't. Very predicatable reactions from some very predictable characters.
  • Options
    By the way, I'm a better player than Bexley Dan - and I'm bobbins.
    Bob Bobbins? He was a good player - you know nothing.
  • Options

i know where Bexley Dan is coming from and understand what he is saying

• Options
    God there's some rubbish on this thread! Only thought I would have a look to see if it's true and most of the posts are hammering him and some others saying how they are a better player than he is.

I truly hope none of our players do look on here.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Keep him our best midfielder by miles.

• Options
    ^ that isn't hard when competing with mcoxo
  • Options
    God there's some rubbish on this thread! Only thought I would have a look to see if it's true and most of the posts are hammering him and some others saying how they are a better player than he is. I truly hope none of our players do look on here.
    hope they do - can only help with negotiations. Any news on the Mirkin deal?