Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semedo off to Greece ?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think he's been worth his 936k wages over the last three years. Very limited ability. I don't really want to see him taking any more of my hard earned (I wish) money. Time for new blood, time to see if someone else can do any better.
  • Options
    that's your point of view and you are entitled to it - i am happy in the knowledge that i would use the ball better than Semedo - couldn't match a lot of his other assets but i think you'd be surprised just how little there is between the natural ability of professional footballers and non professionals. The day in day out training and playing widens the gap incredibly. I accept that there are great players who are literally in a different league to the rest but not Semedo. I could use the ball better than him if my fitness level was the same. It's nota  fact, it's an opinion and i'm happy with it.
    Ohhh - now that's a shame. You were doing so well there, then you went and said something as utterly, side-clenchingly laughable as this and have mugged yourself off. Never mind.
    Your just jealous, it's normally you mugging yourself off - livened up a very dull board at the moment though hasn't it? Semedo - class, yeah alright. I stand by my statement.
    Righto.
  • Options

I always thought Jose was just doing what he was told on the pitch and sitting deep breaking up play. In the last game he got forward alot more, almost scored twice and put over some beautiful 40 yard crossfield balls right onto Waggys boot. Maybe he has a that ability in his locker too. Powell seems to think he can do it and has given him more freedom.

I would love him to stay and see if he can develop that side of his game more. He has good first touch, acurate passing and massive strength. With a bit of encouragement from the coaching staff maybe those passes could be aimed more forwards. He seems a good honest professional and willing to work hard on his game. I'd defo keep him and try and mold him into a box to box player.

• Options
    God there's some rubbish on this thread! Only thought I would have a look to see if it's true and most of the posts are hammering him and some others saying how they are a better player than he is. I truly hope none of our players do look on here.
    Waggy doesnt, I asked him Saturday............
  • Options
    I would obviously love Jose to stay, he is Mr Charlton! I still think he could be at the heart of our defence!He is made to be a sweeper!All of his defensive attributes are top quality!
  • Options
    "Very predicatable reactions from some very predictable characters."

So what does that mean then?!
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I knew you was going to say that :)
  • Options

Well, taken out of context, 'im a better plyer than Semedo' sounds, how shall we say, a bit muggy, but taken in context on the basis that he has shown no creative ability on the ball since he's been here and the ball is like a hot potato to him, i believe that with the ball i would have used it better than him as a central midfield player. Some people look at footballers as though they are a different species - The very top ones are, Semedo ain't and i am happy that i have more natural ability than him but accept that he isa  far stronger, more powerful athlete. Take out of that whatever you like. Fuel for the likes of Off it and Ambose but they're so tightly wound it doesn't take a lot to get them going.
  • Options
    Spend 10 minutes in CM on the opposing team to Semedo at his level and you would realise that you only get split seconds to decide your pass! You may think you have more creativity at the level you have played at but up against these guys you would forever get caught dwelling on the ball! I remember when Danny Murphy signed for us and he is "creative" but in the first 10 games of that season when he was not up to speed i remember him looking very poor. and that is a quality player, Its the speed that these guys can play the ball/make decisions that set them apart. We can all play lovely through balls etc with time on the ball.
  • Options
    The thing for me is, is that similar players in other teams in this league do far more from CM, you can't just be a stopper, you need to have something else to your game. Hollands seems like he played a defensive role for Bournemouth, but scored 7 and created a few others. Semedo would be ok as the defensive midfielder in a 5, but he doesn't suit 4-4-2, and especially a footballing 4-4-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hang on everybody let's not build Jose into a cross between Messi and Vidic.

We have just had the most miserable season I can remember in more than 35 years following CAFC. I'm not saying that Jose is to blame for that but, and let's get this in perspective, as a pivotal member of our side, in critical position, he has to share the blame doesn't he? I think, by general consensus, his own form last year was inconsistant to say the least and I've got to say I'm having trouble recognising this bloke who sprays passes left, right and centre.

Yes, every team needs a 'water carrier' but I doubt that most clubs would have their under perfoming (by his own standards) water carrier near or at the top of thier wage structure would they? I tend to think of him as not quite providing value for money at the moment and we might be able to get better value elsewhere.

• Options
    It's quite well known on here that I am a huge fan of Semedo - admittedly he is not the most talented player ever to don the shirt but the most I ask is for players that work for the team, give a shit about the team and, most importantly, give the fans something to cheer - whether it's his song, the fact that EVERYBODY who has met him says what an approachable man he is or even on of his tackles that results in an opponent bouncing off of him he provokes a reaction.

Some of the drivel I have read in here makes me sad
    Some makes me angry
    Some makes me wonder if I watch a completely different game to some of you

If I had a choice of 11 Semedo's who are limited but committed OR 11 mercenaries who are only in it for the money I know which I would choose.

Since relegation from the Premiership I've been more interested in seeing players who the fans can relate to and who are honest pros.  Semedo fits that profile.  This season his game changed and he got forward more.  If he continues to develop he will be an even better player - if thats in a CAFC shirt then I will be delighted.

FWIW - I was talking about this place to Phil Chapple about this site last week and he said that the players and board are fully aware of this site and what its all about and that, thankfully, they don't pay a huge anmount of attention to it
  • Options
    Semedo is the first player I have really liked since the Kinsella's,Browns and Rufus etc, might not be the best player in the world but a Charlton type player as Curbs used to say one that always gaves his all.
  • Options
    i think we should try playing 5 in midfield with semedo racon and jackson in the middle with the 2 wingers getting forward and helping BWP or benson out. I dont think waggy has a good enough cross to play every week and not sure if harriot is good enough but have not seen much of him. I think racon and jackson are creative enough and I think semedo will break up play
  • Options
    Scoham, From Barry Glenndenning on the Guardian review of the season, got to agree to a point, think Chappel might thing the same.

Main gripe Whether they're targeting players, managers, match officials, pundits, presenters, journalists or fellow fans, the amount of football-related poison posted anonymously on the internet by mouth-foaming keyboard warriors with no sense of perspective has become as tedious as it used to be amusing.
  • Options

Well, taken out of context, 'im a better plyer than Semedo' sounds, how shall we say, a bit muggy, but taken in context on the basis that he has shown no creative ability on the ball since he's been here and the ball is like a hot potato to him, i believe that with the ball i would have used it better than him as a central midfield player. Some people look at footballers as though they are a different species - The very top ones are, Semedo ain't and i am happy that i have more natural ability than him but accept that he isa  far stronger, more powerful athlete. Take out of that whatever you like. Fuel for the likes of Off it and Ambose but they're so tightly wound it doesn't take a lot to get them going.
    In reality fella, you're just backtracking here. You made yourself look a little daft by saying the same thing you;ve probably rolled your eyes at other people saying on dozens of occasions previously: "I could do better than him". Quite apart from the fact that it is utterly foolish to suggest that 'if it weren't for the fact he's fitter than me, faster than me, can tackle better than me, has a better touch than me, has played football professionally for eight years and is just better than me then I could use the ball better than him', I'm afraid you couldn't use the ball better than him. You just couldn't. There's no need to get uptight about it, and it's nothing to be ashamed of - he's a professional footballer, and you're not. Accept that and move on - you'll feel much better about yourself.
  • Options
    I guess now we've announced Danny Hollands signing , means that Jose is off , good luck Jose and thankyou.
  • Options
    Spend 10 minutes in CM on the opposing team to Semedo at his level and you would realise that you only get split seconds to decide your pass! You may think you have more creativity at the level you have played at but up against these guys you would forever get caught dwelling on the ball! I remember when Danny Murphy signed for us and he is "creative" but in the first 10 games of that season when he was not up to speed i remember him looking very poor. and that is a quality player, Its the speed that these guys can play the ball/make decisions that set them apart. We can all play lovely through balls etc with time on the ball.
    do you think i don't know that?. I stand by my statement. In fact, there is nothing that anybody can say that will make me retract my statement
  • Options
    @BexleyDan

When your in a hole mate. Stop digging !
  • Options
    do you think i don't know that?. I stand by my statement. In fact, there is nothing that anybody can say that will make me retract my statement

As a matter of interest at what level did you play?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

In reality fella, you're just backtracking here. You made yourself look a little daft by saying the same thing you;ve probably rolled your eyes at other people saying on dozens of occasions previously: "I could do better than him". Quite apart from the fact that it is utterly foolish to suggest that 'if it weren't for the fact he's fitter than me, faster than me, can tackle better than me, has a better touch than me, has played football professionally for eight years and is just better than me then I could use the ball better than him', I'm afraid you couldn't use the ball better than him. You just couldn't. There's no need to get uptight about it, and it's nothing to be ashamed of - he's a professional footballer, and you're not. Accept that and move on - you'll feel much better about yourself.
    i wouldn't have said it if i was going to worry about it - as i say, the reaction is predctable - i'm not backtracking in the slightest. Semedo - class! get over it - if i cared about what people thought on here, i certainly wouldn't have called Semedo class. There are thousands of players out there who never made it to professional that are better on the ball than Semedo. He is a defender at best - get it?
  • Options
    @BexleyDan When your in a hole mate. Stop digging !
    hole? this is the first bit of entertainment this board has provided in weeks.
  • Options

As a matter of interest at what level did you play?

centre mid with Johnny Ackworth but the the 11 plus exams ruined everything and i just let the fitness go
  • Options
    Be fair, Semedo turned up as a CB and Pardew wanted him to play the Makelele role. He never claimed to be this awesome midfielder, we wanted him to be one.
  • Options
    What swisdom said a couple of posts back

Give me 11 semedos any day in a charlton shirt over some of the fancy dans weve had over the years. Plays with the passion as if he is our biggest supporter and gives 110% every game.

After all - quality is expected - effort is demanded
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i've nothing against Semedo - seems a great lad, puts ina lot of effort and is a great destroyer - anybody who suggests he is a class player has spent too long with their head stuck in the ground. He cannot 'play' end of. He's passionate and hard and thats great but i'm a bit too old to start wetting myself or get deluded about it. He is a very poor player in a very poor team who were beaten by non league northwich victoria last year and outclassed by non league Luton this. I watch a lot of amateur football as well but i expect a bit of quality when i watch Charlton and the quicker we clear 95% of this lot out, the better 
  • Options
    i've nothing against Semedo - seems a great lad, puts ina lot of effort and is a great destroyer - anybody who suggests he is a class player has spent too long with their head stuck in the ground. He cannot 'play' end of. He's passionate and hard and thats great but i'm a bit too old to start wetting myself or get deluded about it. He is a very poor player in a very poor team who were beaten by non league northwich victoria last year and outclassed by non league Luton this. I watch a lot of amateur football as well but i expect a bit of quality when i watch Charlton and the quicker we clear 95% of this lot out, the better 
  • Options
    Bexley Dan I thought the pantomime season was 7 months away ' Oh no your not' ....'Oh yes I am'.    You can't make bland statements like:-

'There are thousands of players out there who never made it to professional that are better on the ball than Semedo' because you have nothing to back it up with and the simple fact is  those 'thousands' never made it, Samedo (defender or not) did at Portuguese Under 21 level end off!
  • Options
    Bexley Dan I thought the pantomime season was 7 months away ' Oh no your not' ....'Oh yes I am'.    You can't make bland statements like:-

'There are thousands of players out there who never made it to professional that are better on the ball than Semedo' because you have nothing to back it up with and the simple fact is  those 'thousands' never made it, Samedo (defender or not) did at Portuguese Under 21 level end off!
    as a defender. end of or off or whatever!
  • Options
    edited May 2011

sorry. Do you make the rules around here? I don't have to back anything up. I can make bland statements and you can ignore them if you want so i believe you're also wrong about that