Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Living in Charlton Village in the 1950/60s

Comments

• Options
    This is a little bit before my time but it's brilliant to hear about life on the estates and in The Village from those days. We moved into 7 Bayeux House in 1971. As others have said, growing up on the estate was one big adventure and there was always loads going on and plenty to do. There always seemed to be a rope swing on the big tree outside Wilson House and it usually had about 10 people on it at one time. Sliding down the big hill in bread crates "Borrowed" from the back of Bloomfields at Victoria Way shops was a bit dodgy. Remember a couple of broken collar bones and arms happening.

Talking of scrumping, does anyone remember the pear tree at the bottom of Mascalls Road? Delicious!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    PeterGage said:

Football at Charlton Park in the late 50s/early 60s on a Sunday (pm, as I recall) was of a high standard and use to be watched by a crowd exceeding one hundred. Plumstead Maybloom were indeed one of the best teams of that era.

I recall scrumping in the gardens of a huge house, standing back from the road at the very top of Charlton Church Lane, opposite the entrance to Springfield Grove and almost next door to the church. A high perimeter wall had to be scaled before access to both Apple and Pear trees was possible. But the thrill was worth it!

Springfield Grove was built on land formerly owned by a farmer, whose son was killed in the second WW. Apparently the farmer kept a spitfire in the grounds to remind him of his deceased son. It was always rumoured that the ghost of the son roamed the woods of Springfield Grove, but I guess this folklore was part of the vivid imagination of the kids on the estate!

I have a feeling that was the scene of the notorious 'bonfire night wood caper' when some of the estate lads decided to embark on some interior architectural deconstruction, or as one of the parents called it '***kin vandalism' a crime that I must plead guilty to.
    I do remember going home and raiding my fathers tool kit ( He had an axe and a couple of claw hammers) and remember trying to take the wooden staircase out, with the help of about 30 other lads/ kids. Later on in the evening some of the elder lads come over and the demo began in earnest. It was a good bonfire that year, and I gained an appreciation of older buildings, at least how they were constructed.
    If I remember one of the lads went on to be a lay preacher, so perhaps it was quite a 'spiritual event'.

I do not remember the wall....... thought it was rather overgrown, we probably 'slipped in' in like the little shits we were.
  • Options
    Although only a recent immigrant to the area (15 years ago) from Sydenham, all these memories ring true for so many parts of suburban London in the early fifties and sixties.......I was just wondering whether anyone locally had the opportunity of playing in the half standing bombed out houses.....they were often our playground dodging local do gooders who tried to chase us off or threatened with the police.
  • Options
    Was the vicarage next door to the old Alms Houses at the top of Church Lane? We also went scrumping in the garden of the house behind the drummer in Church Lane. Further down the hill by Wilson House was the 'Olly Oak tree which was hollow as previously mentioned. Outside the estate fence was an old derelict House that, basically, was wrecked mostly by the kids from Springfield. Stupidly dangerous as the floors were caving.
    The story of the farmer who kept a Spitfire in homage to his son was widely supported even by parents. Rumour had it there was the ghost of the son who roamed near the bottom playground and , sure enough, one night a few of us 12 year olds watched terrified from outside Wilson House as a ghostly foggy figure seemed to float across the edge of the playground and disappear into the woods! I was there and it was spooky given the folklore stories. However, I always thought that a chap called Preston Monohan, who lived in the houses that backed onto the woods, was responsible but it was never proven or otherwise.
    What ever happened to guys like Dave May ( Downe Hse), Dave Warren (Wilson Hse), Brian and Les Chalkley (Wilson), Harry Fox and Dave Conway (Priory), Derek Postel (Langhorne), David Shepherd (Priory), Paul Shipton ( Wilson - who later opened a record shop in the covered market in Woolwich). All of the above are of varying ages with probably a 10 year difference but you sometimes wonder where everyone went or moved on to.
  • Options
    Preston Monohan retired a couple of years ago from Corys barge works. He still pops in on a regular basis, I'll ask him about the ghost story.
  • Options
    The Vicarage garden was accessed from behind the flats in Lansdowne lane.
  • Options
    terryall said:

Was the vicarage next door to the old Alms Houses at the top of Church Lane? We also went scrumping in the garden of the house behind the drummer in Church Lane. Further down the hill by Wilson House was the 'Olly Oak tree which was hollow as previously mentioned. Outside the estate fence was an old derelict House that, basically, was wrecked mostly by the kids from Springfield. Stupidly dangerous as the floors were caving.
    The story of the farmer who kept a Spitfire in homage to his son was widely supported even by parents. Rumour had it there was the ghost of the son who roamed near the bottom playground and , sure enough, one night a few of us 12 year olds watched terrified from outside Wilson House as a ghostly foggy figure seemed to float across the edge of the playground and disappear into the woods! I was there and it was spooky given the folklore stories. However, I always thought that a chap called Preston Monohan, who lived in the houses that backed onto the woods, was responsible but it was never proven or otherwise.
    What ever happened to guys like Dave May ( Downe Hse), Dave Warren (Wilson Hse), Brian and Les Chalkley (Wilson), Harry Fox and Dave Conway (Priory), Derek Postel (Langhorne), David Shepherd (Priory), Paul Shipton ( Wilson - who later opened a record shop in the covered market in Woolwich). All of the above are of varying ages with probably a 10 year difference but you sometimes wonder where everyone went or moved on to.

How old are you terryall?

I think I remember the Chalkleys, and used to hang around with them in Marr house, were they paint sprayers?. ......I have heard the name Derek Postel but I think he was older than me.

I am 64.
    I used to hang around with Kerry Heals, Mick Jackaman,Big Mick McCarthey,and Tony Swain, but had a few differences with Tony as I have mentioned. I do remember Eddie Curtain, who got thrown of the roof of the garages, as I previously mentioned. I lived next door to Roger Parnell who used to work for BT. Used to play football on a Saturday / Sunday with Bobby Paine, who moved from Springfields but came back and we used to go to the Valley and stand in the covered end. I had long hair ( that has long gone) which was was very unusual, as most of them had crew cuts. I moved out in 1973 and from 1970 went to art college, then teacher training college as a postgraduate.My brother Graham,and sister Carol stayed there during the 70s-80s. My brother was a good footballer and had blond hair.

• Options
    terryall said:

Dave May emigrated to Ohio and worked in the field of horticulture. I last corresponded with him about 15 years ago.
  • Options
    Ken,
    Just turned 64! Bobby Paine lived a few floors above me in Marr Hse before he moved. I left Marr Hse in 1959 and moved to Marlborough Lane but every spare minute I was back in Springfields playing football or whatever. Derek Postel was probably a year or 2 leer than me. Dave May was a great nature lover so not surprised he ended up in horticulture. The Chalkleys lived in Wilson Hse and Les would have been born circa 1947 and his younger brother Brain about 1950.
    Tony Swain was a close friend of mine for many years and last I heard he lived in Eltham but had some hearts problems. I remember Mick Jackaman as quick footed with short hair and always seemed fit. Roger Parnell, of course, was our big goalkeeper at Springcourt FC. There were some very good football players from the various teams in the flats. I remember Eddie Curtin asking me to join Catford Utd, which I did, and they seemed to have the pick of the bunch of the best young players around and were a great side. Although the sides out of the Valley pub, and before then when Peter Gage and co, started Heathway and his brother Laurie was manager. I think I was their first signing for the second team as I was a bit younger - trouble was there was no second team at the time but we all live in hope. One odd thing I do remember but you don't see now is the gathering of Starlings every night before they roasted. If you stood outside Marr Hse and looked towards London tens of thousands gathered every evening and danced their way across the sky line before roosting for the night. People travel to Norfolk to see such things now.
  • Options
    Just a minor correction to the above excellent post, for historical accuracy. Heathway had already been going a year, but having no league status thus playing friendlies, when I joined in the Summer of 1966. We joined the Delphis league (later to change to the London and Kent Border league) at the start of the 66/67. Dave May was secretary during the first year of the club in the Delphis League and my brother Laurie (since sadly passed away) was manager; he remained so for about 5 years. We came runners up in our division in the first year, to a reserve team of a club with premiership status (forgotten the name). We lost just two games all season, both to the eventual winners. In those games they fielded a number of first team players to ensure winning. We went on to win our divisional cup, by beating TSB by a single late goal scored by Colin Baker (where is he now?), having beaten TSB comfortably in the two league games. Pete Tucker (also deceased) captained the side in the early years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did Derek Postel have a son called Darren ? If so they moved to Combe Avenue, Blackheath in the 70's.

I believe Darren is/was a builder/decorator. His dad had a crew cut & looked 'ard.
  • Options
    Quite right Peter. I was 3 or 4 years younger than all of you when you joined Heathway but I remember thinking I'd love to play football in that team. In later years Colin Baker and I would almost come to blows training in the playground of Fossdene School. He had an annoying habit, but effective, of shielding the ball by turning his back and sticking his large posterior in your stomach. I got fed up with this so used to give him a kick, all in a good cause you understand, and we would square up to each other. Then we went up the Valley pub afterwards to talk about football. Crazy. From the Heathway and Springcourt football days, sadly, I still have all the trophies! There was a guy called Raymond La Roche who was at Charlton Manor Primary school with me and he lived in Langhorne House. We both got picked to play for the Borough of Greenwich as 11 year olds but Ray decided to fall out of a tree and break his arm or something so never made it. Pity as he was a good player.
    Way back in about 1957/8 there used to be organised fights which always seemed to be between 2 girls and watched by a large crowd. Johnny Fox and John Conway used to bring guitars and a double bass down
  • Options
    Sorry, last post went off beforeI'd finished.
    I meant to Peter - when did the meeting of Heathway start in Charlton House? I think there used to be two team meetings at one stage with the first and second teams in different rooms or have I got that wrong? Sometimes the second team meeting got a bit 'lively' and I remember a spat between the then manager John Gleeson and George West which was over nothing. Good fella is George - he got me out of trouble one night in the Valley pub just before it was about to kick off with a few guys who, basically, wanted to punch my head in. So George strolls up and refuses to get out of the way and calms it all down. Brilliant. I've seen Mick Noonan a few times recently and he still plays guitar and likes pint.
  • Options
    terryall said:

Sorry, last post went off beforeI'd finished.
    I meant to Peter - when did the meeting of Heathway start in Charlton House? I think there used to be two team meetings at one stage with the first and second teams in different rooms or have I got that wrong? Sometimes the second team meeting got a bit 'lively' and I remember a spat between the then manager John Gleeson and George West which was over nothing. Good fella is George - he got me out of trouble one night in the Valley pub just before it was about to kick off with a few guys who, basically, wanted to punch my head in. So George strolls up and refuses to get out of the way and calms it all down. Brilliant. I've seen Mick Noonan a few times recently and he still plays guitar and likes pint.

I lodged with George West's Dad in Cherry Orchard, George lived next door with then wife Lesley. Always remember George a smallish set fella but never saw him back away, big hair. Wish I could remember his Dads name or how long I stayed there, one of many digs I had as a youngster and someone else that saved me from a long stretch.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    terryall said:

Quite right Peter. I was 3 or 4 years younger than all of you when you joined Heathway but I remember thinking I'd love to play football in that team. In later years Colin Baker and I would almost come to blows training in the playground of Fossdene School. He had an annoying habit, but effective, of shielding the ball by turning his back and sticking his large posterior in your stomach. I got fed up with this so used to give him a kick, all in a good cause you understand, and we would square up to each other. Then we went up the Valley pub afterwards to talk about football. Crazy. From the Heathway and Springcourt football days, sadly, I still have all the trophies! There was a guy called Raymond La Roche who was at Charlton Manor Primary school with me and he lived in Langhorne House. We both got picked to play for the Borough of Greenwich as 11 year olds but Ray decided to fall out of a tree and break his arm or something so never made it. Pity as he was a good player.
    Way back in about 1957/8 there used to be organised fights which always seemed to be between 2 girls and watched by a large crowd. Johnny Fox and John Conway used to bring guitars and a double bass down

I do remember Ray La Roche, or as my mother used to refer to the family the 'Laroches', as I mentioned we lived at No 6, I think the Parnells in Langhorne were No 4. Like you being the same age 64 we must have played in the football games, it was only when I was older did I play with guys like Bobby Paine, as I had lived in Elliscombe mount ( across the road) and was probably with my long hair seen as an outsider. I came over with Martin Chamberlain and John Costello, Jeff Wood. All except John went to Sherrington. My mother became the secretary of the tennants association and worked in the Launderette on the estate. My father and Grandfather were prominent local trade unionists. My father was a carpenter and helped build St Austen's school, I remember taking his lunch down to him on my way to school on a couple of occassions. Remember going to the Fox under the Hill and the standard on a Saturday with the older lads.
  • Options
    Fox Under The Hill was my introduction to lager as it was relatively new then and I used to take 8 half crowns, which weighed a lot, in one pocket and get as drunk as a sack for less than £1. Bobby Paine was a goalkeeper I seem to remember and his sister, Margaret, had a serious accident where we fell down the middle of the stairs from some floors up! Remarkably, she survived and lived to tell the tale. After that they put grill like separators between the floors. We used to call in at the Standard after Springcourt games.
  • Options
    Some responses to the previous three or so comments....I cant remember the team meetings in Charlton House being split between the two teams, but I may be wrong. I believe the meetings started there when we joined the league. Prior to that they were held in the living room of Dave May's house. I believe that Dave Mays father was the manager before we joined the league, when my brother took on that role.

Dennis LaRoche, elder brother of Ray, befriended me recently on Facebook; he now lives in California.

George West lives in Abbey Wood with his second wife. I see him from time to time, either at Heathway reunions or in the East Stand at Charlton FC. Talking of the latter destination, I recently bumped into Johnnie Gray and the Smith Brothers.

Also recently got a pm on Facebook from Dennis Osborne's wife, although she never followed up by befriending me. They now live in Turkey.
  • Options
    This has got to be one of the best ever threads on Charlton Life. Well, I suppose it literally is Charlton Life. I grew up in Greenwich before moving to the edges of Charlton in the late 70's and now live in SE7. It's a fascinating read of a bygone era.
  • Options
    terryall said:

I've seen Mick Noonan a few times recently and he still plays guitar and likes pint.

Does Mick still go fishing? Once took us to a secret Perch hole on the Datenth. It was actually the waste outlet from the sewage farm but that didn't matter we caught some monsters.
  • Options
    Feeling a bit nostalgic I went into Andrews in Charlton Church lane this afternoon and had the same haircut I had 50 years ago!
    Andrew is still alive and works in the shop on Saturdays. He's 80 now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I too love reading this thread, even though I'm from a different era and area!

Was anyone on here friends with a guy called Geoff Smith?. Born 45, went Sherrington and then Colfes. Big Charlton fan.
  • Options

Feeling a bit nostalgic I went into Andrews in Charlton Church lane this afternoon and had the same haircut I had 50 years ago!

Andrews was where you went the first time your mum didn't drag you into Paddy's sheep shearing parlour. Specialised in the DA.
  • Options

Andrews was where you went the first time your mum didn't drag you into Paddy's sheep shearing parlour. Specialised in the DA.
    Got dragged into Paddys many a time by my mum, remember pictures of good looking fellas with wonderful haircuts, I'd select one and 20 minutes later came out of the shop crying like a bastard because paddy just did want he wanted and my haircut resembled something like Bobby Charlton rather than George Best, mum just thanked him and said "that's great" often I got a smack up the side of the head on the way back home for acting up, normally before the churchyard Mum wouldn't what the the vicar to see her clumping me. Lol
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Got dragged into Paddys many a time by my mum, remember pictures of good looking fellas with wonderful haircuts, I'd select one and 20 minutes later came out of the shop crying like a bastard because paddy just did want he wanted and my haircut resembled something like Bobby Charlton rather than George Best, mum just thanked him and said "that's great" often I got a smack up the side of the head on the way back home for acting up, normally before the churchyard Mum wouldn't what the the vicar to see her clumping me. Lol
    Yes remember that...... Of course I avoided his clutches from the age of 14...... always had Sam Costa on the radio, and those boxes of Durex, when he would slip some bloke a packet of three.
    Me and my mates used to grin, and probably snigger.... I do remember buying an RAF great coat from Sams army surplus store and dying it black, I would have bought a trendy military coat from from Carnaby street, but I stood out enough as it was on a council estate in the late 60s.
  • Options

T.C.E said:

Yes remember that...... Of course I avoided his clutches from the age of 14...... always had Sam Costa on the radio, and those boxes of Durex, when he would slip some bloke a packet of three.
    Me and my mates used to grin, and probably snigger.... I do remember buying an RAF great coat from Sams army surplus store and dying it black, I would have bought a trendy military coat from from Carnaby street, but I stood out enough as it was on a council estate in the late 60s.
    Something for the weekend, sir?
  • Options
    Ken - was it your dad that worked for Thomas Borthwick, delivering meat carcasses to High St butchers ?
  • Options
    Dippenhall,
    As far as I know Mick Noonan does not go fishing anymore. In fact the period you are talking about he never fished then either but discovered some lakes down at Darenth but I never fancied going so missed out on some sewage outlets by the sound of it! Paddy's in Charlton village - I think I mentioned previously that he used to give you a cap gun to play with whilst he threw a lawnmower at your head which was laughingly called a haircut. More like physical abuse if it was today! I see the little shoe shop next door is still there but for how long?
    When I was about 8 yrs old we used to go to the cafe in Charlton Park near the running track on a Saturday morning for a coffee which we put Pepsi into for some reason. This was early drug taking I suppose. The cafe closed for many years and became derelict but in the last couple of years has been revived by a local guy and it is wonderful. If you're near there call in as you won't regret it and it's now called the Cottage Cafe.
    Where do I know the name Thomas Borthwick from?
    I've mentioned this before but it is very difficult to place people by their user name on this forum. If anyone wants to disclose their real name it would be very helpful for the rest of us to put things in some sort of chronological order. Just an idea.
    For some of you older buffs on here do you remember what happened to the likes of people such as Brian Curtis ( Marr House) and Shane Quilter ( also Marr House) and Lenny Wright ( Priory House) and Johnny Reid ( Priory House) plus another John Reid ( Wilson House). All these chaps are older than me but still make up the history of Springfield as they played their part.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Ken - was it your dad that worked for Thomas Borthwick, delivering meat carcasses to High St butchers ?

No he was a carpenter/joiner.

I worked briefly at the butchery department in Caters in Greenwich though.
    Worked there initially on a Saturday, stacking the shelves with Martin Chamberlin, before I went to Camberwell art school on a Saturday morning. life drawing classes.
    Got re-employed in the last year of art college five years later, during the Summer, also worked at Garretts delivering carpets, and making a 'float' for the Woolwich carnival, which I never saw.
    Used to go out in the big delivery lorry often over to the other side of Woolwich, the tips were good.

• Options
    @terryall The "Curtis Gang" were a bit older than me (Malcolm Delahaye) and defended our patch against the ruffians from Cherry Orchard gang and the odd incursions from Mascalls Court trying to take over our playground

Len Wright and his older sister Beatrice and younger brother Jimmy lived above us. Never did know what it was but sounded like they had a bowling alley in the living room.

I think the Reid in Wilson House might be Michael Reid who was also older than me but a mad keen Addick and with me at Shooters Hill from around 1958. As a precursor to banners, he made eight red and white wooden tiles spelling out CHARLTON we took to the Valley. We leaned them up against the wall near the centre line and you had to stick your leg through the railings and stop the ball ever knocking them over when it went out of play otherwise we would lose. I always check out old photos looking at the old terrace to see if I can see them.
  • Options
    Oh, the simplicity of football in that period! I recall going to Bristol City for an away cup game in 1960. Two goals down at half time and Sammy Lawrie got a second half hat-trick for us to win the game. One of our party had the same (?) aforementioned boards/tiles, which we held up at various times during the game.

The next round of that cup we were drawn away to Wolves and we lost (1-0 I think), who went on to win the FA cup that year.