Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Living in Charlton Village in the 1950/60s

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    RayLa said:
    Hi Peter, all is good, much the same as everyone, watching endless reruns of how we won the Ashes or Ryder cup. 
    Hope all’s well with you and your family. 

I have sent you a pm 

• Options
    My old partner from Charlton Manor Ray LaRoche! What a surprise.
    I must have missed the last few posts in here but the thread gets resurrected every now and then.
    Yes,I remember very well the 2 of us taking on any number of kids after school in the playground with just a tennis ball. It certainly improved our football skills immensely. I also remember the trials for Greenwich schools boys which both of us were trialled for. I got into the team and expected you to be a shoe in but then you fell out of a tree!
    I know you took up golf and became quite good. I also also took up golf but not so good.
    All the people you mention I remember and sometimes wonder what happened to the likes of Derek Postel.Anyhow, Peter Gage and I have exchanged memories on here so I won’t go through it all again. 
    I hope you are good and well and not watching too much TV during these strange times! I think I remember every shot in the Ryder Cuo replays!
    cheers,
    Terry Allen
  • Options
    My old partner from Charlton Manor Ray LaRoche! What a surprise.
    I must have missed the last few posts in here but the thread gets resurrected every now and then.
    Yes,I remember very well the 2 of us taking on any number of kids after school in the playground with just a tennis ball. It certainly improved our football skills immensely. I also remember the trials for Greenwich schools boys which both of us were trialled for. I got into the team and expected you to be a shoe in but then you fell out of a tree!
    I know you took up golf and became quite good. I also also took up golf but not so good.
    All the people you mention I remember and sometimes wonder what happened to the likes of Derek Postel.Anyhow, Peter Gage and I have exchanged memories on here so I won’t go through it all again. 
    I hope you are good and well and not watching too much TV during these strange times! I think I remember every shot in the Ryder Cuo replays!
    cheers,
    Terry Allen
    Hi Terry, hope u r still keeping. Ray and I also exchanged emails some 12 months back!
  • Options
    Hi Peter,
    live only just seen your post and all is good thanks here in sunny/wet Whitstable. I trust you are fed up watching re runs on tv by now and getting out and about.
    I had an old email address in my profile which probably meant I didn’t get updates so missed a new post so I’ve changed to a new email address which should be open to members on here.
    there does not seem to be many posts on here anymore so it’s losing its momentum which is a shame. 
    On a separate note I’m hoping to attend an old school reunion in January and one old boy is John Boyle who also lived in Springfield. We will all be 70 this/next year and I’ve not seen most of them for over 50 years so it should be interesting. COVID restrictions allowing it to happen.
    I never heard from Ray But hope he is well.
    keep safe,
    Terry
  • Options
    Hi Peter,
    live only just seen your post and all is good thanks here in sunny/wet Whitstable. I trust you are fed up watching re runs on tv by now and getting out and about.
    I had an old email address in my profile which probably meant I didn’t get updates so missed a new post so I’ve changed to a new email address which should be open to members on here.
    there does not seem to be many posts on here anymore so it’s losing its momentum which is a shame. 
    On a separate note I’m hoping to attend an old school reunion in January and one old boy is John Boyle who also lived in Springfield. We will all be 70 this/next year and I’ve not seen most of them for over 50 years so it should be interesting. COVID restrictions allowing it to happen.
    I never heard from Ray But hope he is well.
    keep safe,
    Terry
    Hi Terry. I can't dm you on this site as your profile says "private". Please contact me either by email (petergage1947@hotmail.co.uk) or mobile 07729 317531. Thanks
  • Options
    Just picked up on this thread.I lived in Wilson house Springfield ,from the day the flats were built,I believe they were the tallest flats in London at the time. I have  great memories of my childhood,the impromptu football and cricket matches that used to take place between the rival blocks of flats on the triangular playground that existed then.Used to marvel at the masses of people going down Church lane,2 hours before kick off on match days,finally my dad took me,and that was it,66 years later,still going.Remember sitting outside the Swan,while my mum and dad drank inside,no kids allowed then.The Village is much the same the  historical landmarks still there,but obviously the use of the retail outlets has changed.We had Fishmongers,bakers,greengrocers,all seperate,and it took an eternity to do a few errands for the family.I became quite friendly with some lads in Cherry Orchard through football,and to this day remain in contact,even playing golf together.I just recall how stress free childhood was at this time,these days everything seems to be so 100 mph,dominated by electronic devices that cost a fortune,whereby  a dozen or so kids of my era could play football for hours with a ball that cost  peanuts.Playground and the odd street fight still went on then,but they were all over and done with in seconds,you got hit or hit someone,and basically someone would say ok thats it,there was never any fear that you would get knifed or some retaliation would take place later.Dont know how many of my old mates in Springfield are still about,but thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    Given the title of this thread, people may wish to read an analogous book "Memoirs of a London Boy in the 50s/60s", written by a (then) boy, Keith Coleman-Cooke. Keith lived much of his youth on the Downham Estate.
  • Options
    Played football, with Ronnie Chance over Hackney Marshes. Was quite a handy midfielder.
    Also remember a lad called Jimmy Stringer, played the violin.
  • Options
    I’ve changed my profile from private. I see a number of posts where people use a username but have no idea who they are even though we obviously played football etc in Springfield Grove. Can we add a few proper names as that will jog a few memories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One more name to add to football team.......Chris Hayman.  Sorry I forgot you Chris

I joined Sherington in September 1960.  The big building at the top of Sherington Road was the girls school,  next down was boys and last at the bottom was Fossdene Annex.  I remember we were strictly away from the girls but name calling and ya boos were quite common over the corner separating fence with Fossdene.  Mr Scholar was my first teacher who I think taught History.  He served in the Navy during the war and as with naval tradition gave many of us boys nicknames,  I don't remember being given one myself.  Other teachers I recall as follows:

Mr Harris - Head

Mr Parker - Science and Football.  I remember Mr Parker lighting a cigarette in class and taking a few good puffs and exhaling before opening a window (bottom only first ) and then top,  to show us how air circulated.  He then took a few more puffs before taking out a white hankie from his pocket and blew the smoke through it,  resulting a a brown nicotine stain,  telling us that is what smoking does to your lungs.  Then he had another drag.  In Biology he used to bring out a dried up frazzled frog (may have been called Gertie?) that he passed around the class......Mr Parker's football boots looked fearsome with the leather toecaps and bang in studs.  I don't think he was very good at football but I do recall he could toe punt a ball a long way.

Miss Walsh,  became Mrs Griffiths. 

Mr Pasha -  arrived  maybe 1962-3.  I recall him being a very nice man.  Maths?

Mr Sharpe - my second or third year teacher.  Taught Art

Miss Monaghan 

Miss Morgan -  second or third year teacher.  The only time I have ever been in a three wheel bubble car.  She picked two of us up at the Standard and drove us to School

Mr Simpson -  bit scary.  Became Deputy Head I think and certainly livened up the School Assemblies in the morning.  Had a loud voice and looked all tall and fit

Mr Charman - legend.  More later

School Journey went to Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park on the Isle of Wight.  It is still there but a lot bigger and more modern than the,  what appeared to be,  a refurbished army training camp.  Great fun though. I was fortunate enough to go twice and on arrival at Portsmouth by coach boarded the old ferries to Ryde,  whereupon we went by steam train (at least once) to Sandown,  where we caught a bus to Whitecliff Bay.  Most important required items of luggage were a hammer,  a chisel and a magnifying glass,  in order that we could hack Culver Cliff and surrounding area to pieces in search of fossils.  Two to a Chalet,  and two to a weekly bath,  in which the water just didn't reach your tummy button.  Two minutes and out.

By 1963/4 Fossdene had moved out of the lower building and us boys moved up to the Girls School building, top floor temporarily,  whilst refurbishments were made.  When all was done we had a new swimming pool and a pottery in the buildings that divided the playgrounds.  The Chlorine Pool,  as we called it,  was lovely and warm,  as was the room,  but it did sting.  And the Pottery?  I made a plate,  others made cups and saucers etc but no masterpieces in sight from our year at least
  • Options
    For those of you that are that way inclined there is a facebook group on growing up in Charlton
  • Options
    I probably went to Sherington 1970-1973.
    Mr Charman came back from retirement to teach maths to the top group.
    He seemed like he was about 90 years old, always wore a navy blue pin stripe suit.
    I recall him saying Tempus Fugit (time flies).

• Options
    Memories of Sherrington in the 60's..

Mr Charman..probably the best teacher i ever had through schooling.
    The swimming pool..always looked forward to swimming lessons.
    The football coaching..excellent, got me to represent Greenwich.
    Daniel Day lewis..and his mums blue Mercedes.
    Reminder jit Singh..the first Sikh i ever met.
    Custard.
    Mince.
    Nit combs.
  • Options
    I too love reading this thread, even though I'm from a different era and area! Was anyone on here friends with a guy called Geoff Smith?. Born 45, went Sherrington and then Colfes. Big Charlton fan.
    Extremely late reply but I remember Geoff Smith. Smashing chap. If it’s the same person, he sadly died at a young age.
  • Options
    One more name to add to football team.......Chris Hayman.  Sorry I forgot you Chris

I joined Sherington in September 1960.  The big building at the top of Sherington Road was the girls school,  next down was boys and last at the bottom was Fossdene Annex.  I remember we were strictly away from the girls but name calling and ya boos were quite common over the corner separating fence with Fossdene.  Mr Scholar was my first teacher who I think taught History.  He served in the Navy during the war and as with naval tradition gave many of us boys nicknames,  I don't remember being given one myself.  Other teachers I recall as follows:

Mr Harris - Head

Mr Parker - Science and Football.  I remember Mr Parker lighting a cigarette in class and taking a few good puffs and exhaling before opening a window (bottom only first ) and then top,  to show us how air circulated.  He then took a few more puffs before taking out a white hankie from his pocket and blew the smoke through it,  resulting a a brown nicotine stain,  telling us that is what smoking does to your lungs.  Then he had another drag.  In Biology he used to bring out a dried up frazzled frog (may have been called Gertie?) that he passed around the class......Mr Parker's football boots looked fearsome with the leather toecaps and bang in studs.  I don't think he was very good at football but I do recall he could toe punt a ball a long way.

Miss Walsh,  became Mrs Griffiths. 

Mr Pasha -  arrived  maybe 1962-3.  I recall him being a very nice man.  Maths?

Mr Sharpe - my second or third year teacher.  Taught Art

Miss Monaghan 

Miss Morgan -  second or third year teacher.  The only time I have ever been in a three wheel bubble car.  She picked two of us up at the Standard and drove us to School

Mr Simpson -  bit scary.  Became Deputy Head I think and certainly livened up the School Assemblies in the morning.  Had a loud voice and looked all tall and fit

Mr Charman - legend.  More later

School Journey went to Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park on the Isle of Wight.  It is still there but a lot bigger and more modern than the,  what appeared to be,  a refurbished army training camp.  Great fun though. I was fortunate enough to go twice and on arrival at Portsmouth by coach boarded the old ferries to Ryde,  whereupon we went by steam train (at least once) to Sandown,  where we caught a bus to Whitecliff Bay.  Most important required items of luggage were a hammer,  a chisel and a magnifying glass,  in order that we could hack Culver Cliff and surrounding area to pieces in search of fossils.  Two to a Chalet,  and two to a weekly bath,  in which the water just didn't reach your tummy button.  Two minutes and out.

By 1963/4 Fossdene had moved out of the lower building and us boys moved up to the Girls School building, top floor temporarily,  whilst refurbishments were made.  When all was done we had a new swimming pool and a pottery in the buildings that divided the playgrounds.  The Chlorine Pool,  as we called it,  was lovely and warm,  as was the room,  but it did sting.  And the Pottery?  I made a plate,  others made cups and saucers etc but no masterpieces in sight from our year at least
    Well, I joined Sherington in 1961. Mr Charman was indeed a legend and arguably had more (positive) influence on my education than anyone else . I also remember Mr Skinner, Miss Yates and Mr Davies. And, don’t forget the caretaker who, I think, was called Mr Wellspring. Many memories.
  • Options
    Enough has already been said on this thread confirming how good a teacher he was but a few things he taught that stayed in my mind to this day do not appear to have been mentioned.  In brief,  remember these...........?

Add up the numbers from 1 to anything.   (Add one,  halve it,  multiply together)

Any number squared minus any number squared.  (Add them, minus them,  multiply the result)

Multiplying whole number fractions ie 2 and a quarter times 3 and a half.  (Can't remember how to do those)

Fill the magic square 1 - anything so that numbers  across,  down and diagonally add up to the same

Think Fractionally - said almost as much as Tempus Fugit

In assembly,  waiting for the hall to fill,  questions about when the clock hands would be at a particular position next,  or when two trains travelling in opposite directions would clear a station platform.  (Never understood how to do those)

Also remember some 'grown up' books we had to read,  namely The Black Tulip and The Greycoat Warrior 
  • Options
    I too love reading this thread, even though I'm from a different era and area! Was anyone on here friends with a guy called Geoff Smith?. Born 45, went Sherrington and then Colfes. Big Charlton fan.
    Extremely late reply but I remember Geoff Smith. Smashing chap. If it’s the same person, he sadly died at a young age.
    Oh wow, I’ll message you @thai malaysia addick

• Options
    Born in 1952, brought up in Elliscombe mount, went to Sherrington for the first 3 years or so, but my parents moved to Kidbrooke, which I hated. Came back to Springfield Grove, and returned to Sherrington, mates were Geoff Wood, Martin Chamberlin, ( from Elliscombe) also Peter Matthis and  Melvin Higham, and Phil Snow. Remember going to the IOW at that 'army camp', and they read out the 11plus results, I failed along with a few others named above, Remember Mr Parker reading out the results, I questioned the result, and he looked with such disdain at myself.

I got suspended from the football team as I played with a tennis  ball in the upper playground and it hit a young girl on the  upper arm. Miss Yates sent me up to the headmasters office. Not sure how the poor girl was, but she did cry.

Played football on the lower playground with the Springfield lads, and some of the lads from Elliscombe mount came over, we ended up playing in a 5 a Side team competition  in Charlton Park, behind Charlton House.
    Most of the lads seemed a bit older than myself, and had left school, working as paint sprayers, and the like, Eddie Blundell, The Smith's, Jackaman, Bobby Paine, Roger Parnell, Graham O'Conner,. Remember playing on the lower playground at Springfield, after the garages were built, used to go back on a Saturday or Sunday and still play but was studying for my GCE's, and then went to  Camberwell art college on a Saturday morning, and Charlton in the afternoon, when I had the money. 

I was determined to not work in an office, and was lucky to get into art college, and teacher training as postgraduate, not many kids, went onto further education from the estate did that from Springfield's. I stayed in publishing till  2010 as a designer.

I often wonder what happened to those lads, and of course the girls like Susan Smith, Joanne Whalley, and Sonia McCarthy. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enough has already been said on this thread confirming how good a teacher he was but a few things he taught that stayed in my mind to this day do not appear to have been mentioned.  In brief,  remember these...........?

Add up the numbers from 1 to anything.   (Add one,  halve it,  multiply together)

Any number squared minus any number squared.  (Add them, minus them,  multiply the result)

Multiplying whole number fractions ie 2 and a quarter times 3 and a half.  (Can't remember how to do those)

Fill the magic square 1 - anything so that numbers  across,  down and diagonally add up to the same

Think Fractionally - said almost as much as Tempus Fugit

In assembly,  waiting for the hall to fill,  questions about when the clock hands would be at a particular position next,  or when two trains travelling in opposite directions would clear a station platform.  (Never understood how to do those)

Also remember some 'grown up' books we had to read,  namely The Black Tulip and The Greycoat Warrior 
    Animal, Vegetable, mineral or something like that was another of Mr Charmans teaching methods. Great for general knowledge.
  • Options
    Mr first trips to the Valley were made in the late 1950's when my grandad introduce me to the delights of CAFC but I don't remember much.  The rest of my relations lived in Charlton but annoyingly supported Arsenal,  for obvious reasons,  but had never been to ,  nor ever will,  see them play.  Arsenal therefore became my most despised team.  By 1960,  first year Sherington,  I boarded a bus (number 53,54 or 75) from Blackheath to Maryon Road every other Saturday,  where we walked up Woodland Terrace,  down the other side  to turn right at Thorntree School,  left somewhere further down and so to the Valley.  We stood at the very back of the Covered End where I joined the rest of the fans in back- kicking the corrugated iron wall behind us.  Made a great noise and surprised it didn't become detached from its mounts.  Maybe it did?  Too many fave players in those early days  but admired Stuart Leary,  Eddie Firmani,  Mike Bailey,  Marvin Hinton,  Len Glover and Mike Kenning to name a few.  As the years wore on I started to play football on Saturdays and any matches I could attend were watched with school mates,  standing either behind the goal at the now Jimmy Seed end or sitting on the wall at the very top of the East Terrace,  half way line.  Here you could also watch opposing fans changing ends at half time to be behind their goal.  That arrangement didn't last......
    Peanuts were a tanner a bag,  occasionally a kindly person placed a mattress on the ground to soften our blow when we bunked in,  and I still have my (badly painted) red and white rattle,  purchased back in the day from Raggity Annes in Blackheath Village

Stuart Leary also played cricket for Kent and when the annual Kent v Surrey game was played at the Rectory Field I remember watching him several times,  but with the likes of Edrich,  Barrington, May,  Stewart and Locke v Luckhurst, Cowdrey, Knott,  Denness and Underwood playing he wasn't in my faves for that sport.  Nevertheless I remember him talking to us youngsters  on the boundary and after the days play had finished we hung around the car park next to his white Jaguar hoping to get an autograph.  Which we did.
    I bought a tennis racket and two tennis balls from Raggity Annes.  The gut strings were so loosely strung the ball left it like a rocket (usually uncontrolled).  Remember cricket at the Rectory Field too with heroes like Cowdrey and Evans.  T he Rectory Field was also the venue for an annual Blackheath v Oxford and Cambridge past and present rugby game, always entertaining, standing on duck boards to watch.