Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• Lol those are the words of the Dalai Lama
  • Glad to see the managers / owners resolving contract issues quickly and building a team around long term contracts.

Also glad to see Charlton standing up and attempting to get proper value for our players when we sell them (given the individual situation of the player, club and contract). Also for not paying over the odds for players or walking away when other clubs try to take the rise.

Good luck to Robbie Elliot. I hope he does well at Newcastle.

• Any think Sullivan will have the jersey sooner rather than later?  I reckon by end of the month he will be number one
    What makes you think that?

By all accounts Hamer looked solid enough against Bury, letting in only the free-kick that he could do nothing about as he was setting up his wall. He had the odd flap now and then but this is league1 we're talking about. All keepers at this level show signs of inconsistancy, hence that they're in league1, not the premiership.
    I think Sullivan is certainly capable of taking the shirt from what I've seen of him but let's not write off Hamer yet and give him a chance to settle.
  • Hamer will be a top goalkeeper for us for years to come.
  • His performance last season v Barnet in the FA Cup replay was one of the finest ever from a Charlton goalie. He should be remembered with a degree of fondness for that one game alone. I say good luck to him and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he returned to Charlton later in his career.
    This
  • according to the Daily Telegraph, who knows how or what they really know, the fee paid by NUFC was £500,000
    No chance. The rumour in the north east is around £150k. The Daily Mail reported this a couple of days ago too. 
  • Just shows how unreliable rumours and paper reports can be.  £500k or £150k?  That's a big variance.

Trouble is some papers just guess and others include all possible add ons to reach a bigger figure.
  • according to the Daily Telegraph, who knows how or what they really know, the fee paid by NUFC was £500,000
    No chance. The rumour in the north east is around £150k. The Daily Mail reported this a couple of days ago too. 

Probably both...£150K up-front, plus add-ons for appearances and a chunk of any future transfer fee will take it up to £500k.

• not writing him off heard his decent just have a feeling sullivan will become number one
  • Just shows how unreliable rumours and paper reports can be.  £500k or £150k?  That's a big variance.

Trouble is some papers just guess and others include all possible add ons to reach a bigger figure.
    There were a few errors in the Telegraph summary of the transfer window ins and outs. I saw the figure quoted and ignored it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I was told £300k (and posted that figure when he first went)  - and with add-ons for first team appearances, it could reach £500k.

If it really is £500k upfront, then at last Pardew  has done something worthwhile for CAFC!
  • His performance last season v Barnet in the FA Cup replay was one of the finest ever from a Charlton goalie. He should be remembered with a degree of fondness for that one game alone. I say good luck to him and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he returned to Charlton later in his career.
    This

He also has an outstanding game away at Bournemouth last season. Earned us a point - no question.
  • Do you reckon he'll make the bench at the weekend?
  • Do you reckon he'll make the bench at the weekend?
    He was at the cricket today so I seriously doubt it. 3rd choice.
  • Away at QPR on Monday. Harper was still injured on Wednesday, so Rob is likely to be on the bench.
  • If fit Rob will be on the bench every week at least. Pardew doesn't like Harper and it doesn't help Harper that he is constantly injured anyway.
  • Rob is on the bench against QPR
  • Yeah he was on the bench last night wearing number 35. Surprised he didn't take 44. :P
  •  

I suspect he might make his first team debut in the Carling Cup against Nottingham Forest next week.

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14986800.stm

Elliot is set to make is debut against Nottingham Forest in the Carling Cup tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2011
    Good. Got Aston Villa in my accie. Odds just swung in my favour. EDIT. They are playing Forest! Villa was Saturday. D'oh.
  • He's let a long shot in again
  • Apparently he fumbled a long shot.
  • Apparently he fumbled a long shot.

No apparently about it. Sky bloke said it was very soft.
  • Most predictable post of the year.

• Double whammy. Most predictable debut of the year.
  • Rob's an average keeper - simple. Not sure Hamer's any better though from what I've seen so far!
  • Rob's an average keeper - simple. Not sure Hamer's any better though from what I've seen so far!

Agree re: Hamer. Will give him a few games before judging though.
  • 7.5 could do nothing for the goal

5 doesn't support newcastle

• edited September 2011