Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• When parker left it was the beginning of the bad times.

When Elliot left I was like 'oh we'll, shame, but at least we can replace him'
  • I cant blame Robbie for moving to set him up financially. However he cant stay too long. Newcastle has a dreadful record over the years for developing players, Think he has the potental to be agreat keeper but must get out of there soon
  • Very, very much doubt that Mike Ashley is paying his 3rd choice goalkeeper 20K per week, I think people do get carried away with players wages sometimes.

Players in the top 14-15 of a Premiership squad are on very big dough, but there is a pretty big drop off after that to the younger and squad players.
  • I'd imagine 10k is nearer the mark................
  • Which is still a lot! If you look at Parker leaving and take us out of the equation - I think it put his career back a good few years and probably cost him money down the line. If he had waited till the Summer- his stock would have been higher and more clubs would have been in for him - including Arsenal who suddenly had a need for a Parker type at that time. Same thing could happen with Robbie, if he had stayed with us and continued improving -clubs could have started looking at him as a first choice keeper.

I think Chrissy would have done more to try to keep him if Hamer wasn't available but the timing worked. I always wish Robbie the best - he is a fan and a nice bloke who always had time for the fans and I believe a potentially top keeper I hold no malice in him going and would love it if he gets his chance at Newcastle but he'll need to rely on a injury to their number one.

When you look at the England keeping situation, is Hamer so very far away. I would say if Charlton were to get promoted he will be noticed and would suddenly come right into the squad reckoning. That could be less than a year away!

• EastStand said:

I would love Robbie back on loan.

why? He'd be on the bench, he is not better than Hamer IMO.
  • Quite a few goalkeepers make a career out of "playing" for premier league teams, picking up a decent 10k a week and sitting in the reserves. Think Robbie's picked that type of career. Fair enough.

10k !! trying doubling that & then adding some..............
    Robbie's doing well if he's on £20k+ a week

• I have to say that I thought us letting Elliott go and taking Hamer at the time was madness but it has proved to be a good move as I think Hamer is the better keeper to be honest Elliott got beat from distance too often for my liking. Also agree that he isn't Premiership quality and is at Newcastle as back-up.
  • Dazzler21 said:

EastStand said:

This !!
  • You can't compare Parker with Elliot, Parker was and is a top class player, clearly someone with the ability to hold down a place in a top PL team, if not Chelsea at the time. Elliot is a decent lower league keeper, who hardly had rival scouts fighting over him, keepers of that standard are commonplace. Hamer may or may not be better than him, but there's not much in it. Randolph might be better than both of them...

Newcastle wanted him, we got some cash, he got a decent payrise...
  • Sponsored links:

• Hamer will be playing first team Premier as a regular onecday. Ellioott will not.
  • Carter said:

Stuart Taylor made a career out of it. Could have been a decent keeper. Made a lot of money and must have played less than 100 league games

True, it's unbelieveable really. Pat Rice said he would succeed Seaman at Arsenal.
  • Didn't Stuart Taylor move to another clubs bench this summer?
  • Dazzler21 said:

EastStand said:

This !!
    I know he would be. I just miss his silly face!

Reading

Yep Readings

Reading, though he might get a chance if Federici keeps throwing them in!

Think it's a little harsh on him to say hes been happy to be on the bench through his career to be honest - he moved from Arsenal to Villa for more chance at first team football, and also went on loan to Cardiff for the same.

That said, the move to be City's third choice was definitely for the cash!
  • It doesn't bode well for Elliot that he can't even make the bench for a reserve/youth team outing in Greece this week in the Europa Cup ( unless he's injured, of course ).

Maybe he'll go out on loan at some stage this season to get some action.
  • Krul just tweeted he has an elbow injury, i'm guessing Elliot is number 2? Could feature pretty soon if he is
  • Isn't Harper number 2?
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought it was Harper 7?

Anyway, Robbie will be on the bench for the next couple of games for Newcastle, and may even get a game one of these days!
  • Robbie is starting tonight in the Europa League against Portuguese side Maritimo. Live on ESPN now.
    Whatever you think of him as a GK he is still a Charlton fan and I wish him luck tonight.
  • Good luck to the guy, Charlton through and through, always did his best.
  • Yep. Have a blinder Robbie.
  • Made a fantastic save on 10 min another on 11, he could have a busy night.
  • Has always and will always have charlton beating through his veins. Good luck robbie
  • Glad the punters that have posted have wished him well. add one more to the list.
  • good luck robbie , took one for Charlton so he deserves our best wishes
  • great reflex stop early on
  • HT 0-0 in his game. Going well so far it seems.