Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• he did what was best for charlton (eventually) and left

appreciate the gesture

good luck rob

• the_dilsh Robert Elliot Right 1st and last statement on this matter!! I agreed to take a wage cut but could not agree!!so none of this money grabbing stuff please!!

He's hardly likely to tweet I asked for 10k and they wouldn't pay so I buggered off elsewhere to get it is he?!?
    So it's £10k now.  Thought it was £8k. 

Two sides to every story, so far we've only heard the Clubs via rumours and tweets.  Now we've heard Robbie's direct from him.  People will decide which they believe more.

In reality is doesn't really matter now.  Far from Robbie's agent having had "his bluff called" it seems he played a very good game of poker for his client.   Robbie is at a Premier League Club.  He may be only third choice for now but you and a few others thought he should be third choice at Charlton so a good move for him. 

And Charlton got a fee for an asset that could have left on a free next summer just as Powell said might happen back in May.

I wasn't suggesting he did ask for 10k I pulled a random figure out of the air to make my point. Quite simply he wasn't going to tweet anything that made him look bad as he clearly wanted to keep the fans on his side.

I have no doubt that both sides were at at fault throughout this process, but in the end as Ooohahhh has said this is the best result for Charlton.

Ultimately, I don't care what he asked for. I didn't rate him as a keeper and have felt for a couple of seasons that he needed replacing. He's gone and hopefully Hamer will step up and turn out to be better.

• I suspect Robbie will be more number 2 as Harper is injured and play in Cup games.
    If the undisclosed fee out more than pays for Hamer then good luck to him.On first impressions like Robbie Hamer is also a good shot stopper but flaps on crosses
  • edited September 2011
    Always seen this as a lack of ambiton when English players do this.
    Not at all. It's the preference of perhaps netting 50/90 caps for a country of your heritage as opposed to probably never being involved in another setup.

Look at the likes of Cascarino, Aldridge, McCarthy who are legends in ROI. Do you honestly think they'd have traded all that for one or two caps for England?
  • Time will tell if it's the best result for Charlton.  Hamer, as Richard J says,  has his faults and his strengths just as Robbie did/does although I suspect that the halo and horns will be reversed from what is was for Elliot.  Sullivan doesn't even seem to be rated enough to play ahead of Robbie. 

Time will also tell if it is the right move for Elliot.  Financially he's clearly done well but there is more then that.  If he plays regularly in the top flight then it was the right move career wise.  If not the jury is out.  Charlton will be back in the Championship soon enough.

Personally while I never thought he was anything like the "disaster" or "non-league keeper" that he was labelled by some on here I'm not sure he is a Premier League keeper either.  With time and playing with better players he may improve but he'll have little leeway to do that in the full glare of the Sky/BBC cameras.

My main concern for him is that I think Roberts is a much better coach that Woodman.  Elliot was already showing  improvement under Roberts in terms of fitness and his displays this year have been solid.  He was CL MOTM v Scunthorpe remember.  Playing behind a better and no longer constantly changing defence has helped him too.

Yes, he's left and that seems to be the best for him as I don't think some fans would ever have given him a chance no matter how slim he became or how well he played.  The money he is said to be earning is an easy stick to hit him with as critics can't really say much about him moving up two divisions.

• Time will tell if it's the best result for Charlton.  Hamer, as Richard J says,  has his faults and his strengths just as Robbie did/does although I suspect that the halo and horns will be reversed from what is was for Elliot.  Sullivan doesn't even seem to be rated enough to play ahead of Robbie. 

Time will also tell if it is the right move for Elliot.  Financially he's clearly done well but there is more then that.  If he plays regularly in the top flight then it was the right move career wise.  If not the jury is out.  Charlton will be back in the Championship soon enough.

Personally while I never thought he was anything like the "disaster" or "non-league keeper" that he was labelled by some on here I'm not sure he is a Premier League keeper either.  With time and playing with better players he may improve but he'll have little leeway to do that in the full glare of the Sky/BBC cameras.

My main concern for him is that I think Roberts is a much better coach that Woodman.  Elliot was already showing  improvement under Roberts in terms of fitness and his displays this year have been solid.  He was CL MOTM v Scunthorpe remember.  Playing behind a better and no longer constantly changing defence has helped him too.

Yes, he's left and that seems to be the best for him as I don't think some fans would ever have given him a chance no matter how slim he became or how well he played.  The money he is said to be earning is an easy stick to hit him with as critics can't really say much about him moving up two divisions.

Agree with what you say about Woodman / Roberts - Elliot has looked more like an athlete since the change of goalkeeper coach. 

Elliot is a decent League One keeper in my opinion, although that won't be much help where he's gone!

• edited September 2011

.  Time will also tell if it is the right move for Elliot.  Financially he's clearly done well but there is more then that.  If he plays regularly in the top flight then it was the right move career wise.  If not the jury is out.  Charlton will be back in the Championship soon enough.

I know what you're saying, but if Elliot's on £12k per week, call it £600k pa, = £3M over 5 years, I shouldn't think he gives a sh*t about his career.

By the time his contract runs out at age 30, if he's looked after his money he should be sitting on a cool million, as an absolute minimum.

He could stick that in an instant access a/c & never have to work again. No brainer for him. Play a handful of games over 5 years and never have to work again or sign a new contract at charlton on a reduced wage.

Jeez, the boy's done well & good luck to him.

•  

Henry said ' My main concern for him is that I think Roberts is a much better coach that Woodman. Elliot was already showing improvement under Roberts in terms of fitness and his displays this year have been solid. He was CL MOTM v Scunthorpe remember. Playing behind a better and no longer constantly changing defence has helped him too. '

This is exactly what I'd been thinking. Plus I remember chatting to Robbie at some dinner thingy, at the time when Robbie had been injured and had lost his place to Randolph. Robbie acknowledged that Randolph was 'playing a blinder', so he thought 'it wouldn't be right to put me back in'. But he added that he had found it very hard to be on the bench because all he wanted to do was play. I do wonder if, in a few months, he will find the money an acceptable substitute?

• edited September 2011
    Always seen this as a lack of ambiton when English players do this.
    Not at all. It's the preference of perhaps netting 50/90 caps for a country of your heritage as opposed to probably never being involved in another setup.

Look at the likes of Cascarino, Aldridge, McCarthy who are legends in ROI. Do you honestly think they'd have traded all that for one or two caps for England?

But that's the thing some of them are as irish as me (well apart from Cascarino who funnily enough went to both my schools ;-) )

. My nan was irish and my other grandparents polish. Immensley proud of the heritage but would feel fraudelent representing countries i'd only ever visited once respectively despite how much affection I felt for them.

It also takes the place of a born and bred paddy or pole who arguably has more right to represent them.  As much as I am proud of my roots ive been born and grown up in England and therefore that's the country I'd represent even if it meant I would only get a handful of caps.

It seems to defeat the spirit of international football too. We have and Italian manager and could have players like Cudicini etc representing us but that would somewhat take the shine off winning the world cup as opposed to a team full of bona fide Englishmen led by an Englishman.

All a bit plastic for me but fair play to those who do so.

• edited September 2011

Henry said ' My main concern for him is that I think Roberts is a much better coach that Woodman. Elliot was already showing improvement under Roberts in terms of fitness and his displays this year have been solid. He was CL MOTM v Scunthorpe remember. Playing behind a better and no longer constantly changing defence has helped him too. '

This is exactly what I'd been thinking. Plus I remember chatting to Robbie at some dinner thingy, at the time when Robbie had been injured and had lost his place to Randolph. Robbie acknowledged that Randolph was 'playing a blinder', so he thought 'it wouldn't be right to put me back in'. But he added that he had found it very hard to be on the bench because all he wanted to do was play. I do wonder if, in a few months, he will find the money an acceptable substitute?

Professional footballers have a relatively short period in which to make their money. If I was at a level three club and somebody offered me significant extra money to secure my finances for the foreseeable future, plus a chance to play at the highest level, even if I wasn't first choice, I would take it. I'm sure he will be able to reconcile lack of first team games.

• Sponsored links:

• @johnnie_jacksonGood luck to my pal @the_dilsh on his move...top keeper and top bloke,will be missed,especially as I'm now the fattest at the club!!
    Lovely,shows the affection he has at the club
  • I think he is a solid reliable keeper but with room for improvement and the potential top improve. Definitely above league one and could -if he gets his chance - have a decent career in the premiership. I hope he does -all teh best Robbie.
  • Another Addick gone on to bigger and better things. Who would begrudge him that.
  • no problem with the way he's left - good luck to him - seems a bouncy character and i think that will hold him in good stead.  I would have thought that most players are tapped up these days before a club bids. How can one agent not just pick up a phone to another agent or third party? How can that be policed? Impossible.
  • Whoever gives him grief on twitter need to give it a rest. As if we wouldnt do the same in our jobs. Move up to a bigger company for more doe
  • Why is it called head hunting in the business world and tapping up in the football business world?
  • He's gone, good luck to him, move on nothing more to see here.
  • Good luck Robbie
  • A lot of fuss over someone who could have finished being 3rd choice 'kepper at CAFC, and the majority would have put as 2nd.
  • edited September 2011
    The point is that it wasn't excatly secret that he hadn't signed a new contract and had 44 on his back because he expected to leave. He has a duty to progress in his career - we can have a discussion on whether he has done the right thing in that respect (He has certainly increased his security and bank balance) but we can't criticise him for trying to get the best he can in what is a short career.
  • Sponsored links:

• totally agree muttley , just as parker did but without the toy throwing
  • To have true friends and be loved by them, we must in turn feel love and sympathy for others.
  • To have true friends and be loved by them, we must in turn feel love and sympathy for others.

You do realise this is a football forum not a dating website?
  • "@johnnie_jackson Good luck to my pal @the_dilsh on his move...top keeper and top bloke,will be missed,especially as I'm now the fattest at the club!!"

do we now need to start singing big fat John to the tune of the old peter garland song!!

i think that would be very funny!!!

• His performance last season v Barnet in the FA Cup replay was one of the finest ever from a Charlton goalie. He should be remembered with a degree of fondness for that one game alone. I say good luck to him and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he returned to Charlton later in his career.
  • according to the Daily Telegraph, who knows how or what they really know, the fee paid by NUFC was £500,000
  • He is a good keeper and I for one am sorry to see him go. I think he will do well in the premiership and may even get a call for England.

I wish him well and hope he enjoys his salary increase which far outweighs any loyalty he should have shown for Charlton
  • according to the Daily Telegraph, who knows how or what they really know, the fee paid by NUFC was £500,000
    Blooming Henry , i can't believe its not butter , that would be a very good figure.
  • Any think Sullivan will have the jersey sooner rather than later?  I reckon by end of the month he will be number one
  • edited September 2011
    If 500k is true -I think when you add up the ins and outs we wouldn't have spent that much net which means that Powell deserves even more credit for what he has done.