Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• Most predictable post of the year.

Oh dear. I think you won that one, old chum!
  • Goto twitter and search Rob Elliot

He's not at all popular there so far - shocking debut by all accounts

Rob Elliot could have done alot better for first 2 goals. Big step up from Charlton and not best start to #nufc career. Steve Harper anyone?
    Twitter for iPhone • 20/09/2011 22:44

Heard it here first from @Hand_in_Glove_ at the match tonight, Rob Elliot wouldn't get a game for gateshead. #dodgykeeper #nufc
    Twitter for iPhone • 20/09/2011 22:01

• Big ste up from Charlton? They were playing a poor Forest team in the Carling Cup!

• Yea but it's Newcastle, they still think they should be winning everything.
    Good to see though, as means he's not making those mistakes for us anymore.
  • I don't get this continuing negativity about Robbie , like Jonjo I wish him well and was glad to see he made his debut , some on here didn't think that he would play in their first team . Apparently he threw his gloves into the crowd .

This was his reaction on the Newcastle on line site

Rob Elliot was delighted to taste victory on his Newcastle debut, as he helped the Magpies into the fourth round of the Carling Cup.

The goalkeeper was selected to face Nottingham Forest at the City Ground, exactly three weeks after signing from Charlton, and made a promising start to United life with an assured display as they triumphed 4-3 after extra-time.

The tie was probably a bit more eventful than Elliot would have hoped for, as he found himself picking the ball out of the back of the net three times, but the 25-year-old was largely pleased with his evening's work.

"It wasn't your run-of-the-mill game, was it?" he told nufc.co.uk after the final whistle.

"The manager made some changes and gave the squad players a chance. He said there is very little between all the players in the squad and that this was our chance to impress, and I think we did that.

"We conceded a couple of sloppy goals, but I think all-in-all we were the better team, especially when we passed and moved it.

"I was pleased with my performance. I didn't see the first goal until after it was hit, and maybe if I had been sighted then I would have saved it, but you can't have everything perfect. I am always striving to improve, and I want to do that when I next get a chance.

"But generally I was quite pleased with my kicking, crosses and everything else, and the conditions weren't easy."

The game looked to be heading for a penalty shoot-out until Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini nodded home the winner with seconds remaining, and Elliot said he wouldn't have been daunted by the prospect of facing spot kicks on his debut.

"The biggest thing is that we wanted to win, so as long as we won, that was all that mattered, and it didn't matter if it was by extra-time, penalties or whatever," he explained.

"I was just pleased with the win and when Colo scored at the end it was a huge relief. The celebrations were huge. I was trying to stay calm as anything can happen in football, and then you celebrate after once the final whistle has gone."

• Am I the only one that finds it a bit sad that some people still have to criticise Robbie even after he has left. He is a Charlton fan, top bloke and a decent keeper with potential to be even better. He always gave 100% and deserves better. I will be wishing him well in his career and hope he breaks into the first team sooner rather than later.
  • Well said Muttley, agree entirely. Wouldn't surprise me to see him pop up in the away end a couple of times this season either.
  • i dont think he trained as hard and kept his weight down as much as he should have , leading to slower reactions  and the least you'd expect as a fan playing for his team is to give 100% when on the pitch

good luck to him cos he will need it

• Am I the only one that finds it a bit sad that some people still have to criticise Robbie even after he has left. He is a Charlton fan, top bloke and a decent keeper with potential to be even better. He always gave 100% and deserves better. I will be wishing him well in his career and hope he breaks into the first team sooner rather than later.
    I'm sure you wont mind when people comment saying he's had a good game, so why should people not being able to comment when he's had a mare?
  • Ok to still have a pop at Parkinson though, oh I forgot he's not a Charlton supporter is he.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok to still have a pop at Parkinson though, oh I forgot he's not a Charlton supporter is he.

This.
  • I don't think Parky is deserving of a pop either. He isn't Pardew, and I wish him the best at Bradford.
  • I don't think Parky is deserving of a pop either. He isn't Pardew, and I wish him the best at Bradford.
    Agree with this and hope Parky can turn them round.  With Jenkinson and Elliot a number of people were stressing how they would rot in the reserves, well does not look that way to me.
    Agree with this and hope Parky can turn them round.  With Jenkinson and Elliot a number of people were stressing how they would rot in the reserves, well does not look that way to me.

Don't speak too soon, he just let 3 in!
    I do hope he does well, but with my earlier comment I meant that some of his mistakes did cost us, so I'm happier it's for another side now.
  • edited September 2011
    What we forget about Elliot is that in keeping terms he is still young, not sure how old Kiely was before he joined us, but prior to that he had been a lower league keeper, it is only once he joined us that he became a top flight keeper.

He did concede three though,
  • the most important thing about last night was not rob's performance but the fact my fantasy football bargain collocini scored : ) 
  • What we forget about Elliot is that in keeping terms he is still young, not sure how old Kiely was before he joined us, but prior to that he had been a lower league keeper, it is only once he joined us that he became a top flight keeper.

He did concede three though,
    Think Deano was 28 or so when he joined us, but had been quality for a while at York and Bury.

There are not many ex Charlton whom i hope will crash and burn bar a couple of the obvious characters. If a player can go on and better himself at a bigger club playing better football then good luck to them. WHo here wouldn't make the same choice?
  • I think Parky did some things right - he didn't have the financial backing that Chrissy has and had to arrest a steep slide. I don't think history will judge him too harshly -at least it shouldn't.
  • I fully admit that I was not Elliot's greatest fan, so perhaps I am biased. Re the 3 goals he let in v Forest.

Goal 1. He went down like a sack of spuds, as if his feet were stuck in quick sand, just as he did for us. He should have saved it.

Goal 2. He came out & committed himself too early, giving the striker an easy option to round him & score.

Goal 3. He maybe could have cut out the cross.

A good goalie would have stopped the first 2 IMO or for the 2nd at least stayed closer to his line & not committed himself too early.

Awaits the flack ....................

• I think Parky did some things right - he didn't have the financial backing that Chrissy has and had to arrest a steep slide. I don't think history will judge him too harshly -at least it shouldn't.
    Parky was a nice bloke , who was taken on as a caretaker , he 'caretakered' as best he could with the resources available at the time , we can get into hypothetical questions of what might have been if we had kept Parky and given him the same backing , but all you will get is hypothetical answers ... fact :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Parky did a supreme job actually getting us competing in league one first season.  I really thought that our squad utterly overloaded with players who couldn't win a 50/50, would easily slip into bumming around relegation form.  The second season in league one it was a shame we didn't hold onto Burton, but no doubt he was on silly champ wages still.  Bringing Elliot through, selling Richardson, selling Shelvey when his talent didn't match his game intelligence, gradually improving Solly and Wagstaff were all positives in my book.  We did have an awful season last year, but threatening the playoffs wasn't bad when he had to re-model his side when he'd lost the core of his offensive threat was no bad achievement.
  • If we finish more than 2 points off of the autos this year, we'll know how 'good' Parkinson was wont we?  All been said before though, there are Parky apologists and there will be Powell apologists if things go wrong.  Hopefully they won't and it'll all be redundant.
  • I fully admit that I was not Elliot's greatest fan, so perhaps I am biased. Re the 3 goals he let in v Forest.

Goal 1. He went down like a sack of spuds, as if his feet were stuck in quick sand, just as he did for us. He should have saved it.

Goal 2. He came out & committed himself too early, giving the striker an easy option to round him & score.

Goal 3. He maybe could have cut out the cross.

A good goalie would have stopped the first 2 IMO or for the 2nd at least stayed closer to his line & not committed himself too early.

Awaits the flack ....................

Not going to give flack, but I read a couple of match reports (BBC and Sky Sports websites) and neither mentioned him in relation to having coulda/shoulda saved any of the goals, so if they were mistakes/save-able, they obviously weren't glaring errors on his part.
  • Parky parky parky Jesus let some of us 4get

Good luck to robbie he didnt want to stay he has gone to a prem club move on now all, he will always be a fan , who knows he could fly with better coaching and fitness or he will be back at a 3rd division club sooner than he could imagine , you make your choices and live by them ,
  • edited September 2011

parky's abysmal nothingness of an attempt, to stay up, when only 3 points adrift and turning it in to 13 points from safety with 28 games of that fateful season left, will never sit too easily with me especially as he had been in and around that squad as pardys assistant and knew the players

but afer that he done a half decent job but when it mattered most it didn't happen

as for robbie , to play at a higher level we all know he's got to improve big time , good luck robbie

• Robbie has to improve a LOT to be a Premeirship standard goalkeeper.

I wish him the best though, have nothing against him.
  • Interesting interview with him on Player.  He categorically denies the silly rumours spread on here, left on good terms with management and board members and says that he'll be coming to watch some of our matches.  Funny, someone must be making things up.
  • .....but wanted to double the money on his contract?
  • .....but wanted to double the money on his contract?
    Just like we all do.
  • yep dont blame him at all.