Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• I'm probably of a minority here that when players leave this club I'm not really bothered about them. I don't care a toss about Shelvey getting in the Liverpool team or going on loan, I don't care about Jenkinson playing for the Gooners or Parker at Spuds. They've gone so I'll concentrate on the ones that want to play for us.

Robbie however is a bit different. As a supporter of the club, that makes him one of us, whoever he's playing for, so I really wish him all the best and will keep track on how he's doing.
  • I will definately give him a good reception whether it be as a supporter or playing against us. I really cannot understand the antaganism against him. He always gave 100%. The deabte may be about how good he was/is but nobody really has argued against this. He moved on to further his career in a deal that also suited Charlton. I wish he had stayed but I can fully understand his moving.
  • He's been playing in pre season for NUFC. Footage here for those who are interested - he is a fan after all:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXSUjNpyN8&feature=player_embedded
    Makes a decent one handed save.
  • To be honest Tim Krul is one of the best keepers in the premier league so doubt Elliot will have too many chances to play. Shame seeing as he was good for us, maybe should go out on loan
  • Barcodes played Harper with Krul on the bench today in their Europa match.
    Where's Robbie?
  • still working off the summer pounds probably
  • Was he on the bench against Spurs when Pards shoved the lino?
  • Was he on the bench against Spurs when Pards shoved the lino?

Na, Krul was in goal and Harper was on the bench.

A good move for Robbie would be to a Prem club likely to be bottom half and if he's first choice for them it would be a greatstep for him.
  • Can't see any Prem team taking Robbie, would prob get a gig in the Championship if he hasn't got too tubs.
  • Wasn't big nose mates with robbies agent.
  • Sponsored links:

• I could never quite understand from a footballing point why Robbie went to Newcastle when I think it was obvious he would be and would remain third choice. Don't blame him one little bit for making the move and getting more dosh but he's going to leave at some point just to get a game. I suspect he'll be back in league one in a couple of years.
  • I thought he was a really good keeper and being a charlton fan, I was sad when he left. We have another good keeper in Hamer though, and earned out of the swap.
  • Wonder if he will come back to us to sit on the bench
  • Quite a few goalkeepers make a career out of "playing" for premier league teams, picking up a decent 10k a week and sitting in the reserves. Think Robbie's picked that type of career. Fair enough.
  • Quite a few goalkeepers make a career out of "playing" for premier league teams, picking up a decent 10k a week and sitting in the reserves. Think Robbie's picked that type of career. Fair enough.

10k !! trying doubling that & then adding some..............

Yeah i put a conservative figure, but yeah, you get the idea

Really ? Good God. Different world.
  • I think he will regret going personally - not the money of course but you can stagnate in the reserves and he could look at where Hamer is say in a year's time and think - if only.
  • He'll always get a champ club though when he wants to, being on Newcastle's books. Maybe that's his thinking.

To be fair, not many keepers have played 100 games at 26.
  • Thing is it's easy to look back after the event and wish you'd played more but that is a lot of money and probably makes him financially independent for the rest of his life.

I seriously doubt that many players, or many of us, would turn down the chance to protect our family's financial future for as long as we live.

If effect it might cost him hundreds of thousands of pounds to play more games, and I doubt he has hundreds of thousands that he just can't spend!
  • Sponsored links:

• But when parker left for the money he was a greedy sod ....fair enough for robbie too tho
    Or is it that one leaving worsened our team considerably and the other one leaving improved it, so that's alright
  • I would love Robbie back on loan.
  • Really!?!
  • But when parker left for the money he was a greedy sod ....fair enough for robbie too tho
    Or is it that one leaving worsened our team considerably and the other one leaving improved it, so that's alright

Correct.

I never complained about Parker wanting to move for more money. I would have liked him to stay, but in his defence I believe he really thought he was going to play at Chelsea. Robbie must have known he wasn't going to get a game. My point was about the player's compromise about earning more money to hardly ever play, not about swapping one team for another one for more money.
  • Bob Bolder. Long time Liverpool reserve keeper before he came to us.
  • It's a tough call being a reserve keeper, Mike Salmon (the original fish) was reserve to Bolder for ages without playing much, Sullivan has moved from benchwarming at Millwall to benchwarming at Charlton! Harper was understudy to Given at Newcastle for years...

Fraser Forster is highly rated, but decided he wanted to play, rather than be a Newcastle reserve, so is at Celtic now. Potentially a rival to Joe Hart as England keeper.
  • Stuart Taylor made a career out of it. Could have been a decent keeper. Made a lot of money and must have played less than 100 league games

I never complained about Parker wanting to move for more money. I would have liked him to stay, but in his defence I believe he really thought he was going to play at Chelsea. Robbie must have known he wasn't going to get a game. My point was about the player's compromise about earning more money to hardly ever play, not about swapping one team for another one for more money.
    Not to mention the distinct possibility that Chelsea's interest was at least in part to deliberately derail us when we were flying at our highest. Or at least so I felt (and still do.)