Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• Badge kissing money grabber, at least Parker was honest
    However, we were fourth in the Premier League when Parker left, whereas now . . .
  • Any player that can get a 5 year contract in the current climate has done extremely well, he's exploited the pardew cash-spunk policy so good luck to him...
  • @johnnie_jacksonGood luck to my pal @the_dilsh on his move...top keeper and top bloke,will be missed,especially as I'm now the fattest at the club!!
  • Never been a big fan but I wish him well. The save he made v Scunthorpe was pure class. Good luck Rob.
  • Good luck Robbie.
  • Confident he will go on to have a very good career.  I have always rated him highly but think he maybe went a bit stale here due to us falling through the leagues.  Will hopefully reignite his passion if he can get in the team in Newcastle.
  • Best of luck to him. Great acquisiton for Newcastle. Can see him being a big success up there. I am sure that all of his critics will be eating their words at some point.
  • Best of luck to him. Great acquisiton for Newcastle. Can see him being a big success up there. I am sure that all of his critics will be eating their words at some point.

Not if Robbie sees them first.
  • Good luck Robbie some advice from a fellow Geordie.
    1) dont wear pink
    2) dont admit to liking Glee
    3) say Haway the Lads at every opportunity
    4) dont eat too many stottie cakes

Will miss you and your victory jumps
  • With the money coming in from Newcastle big striker to look forward to .Thanks Robbie two handed save we have got it both ways.
    Robbie was always a gent all the best ,Charlton at HEART.
  • Sponsored links:

• As soon as he kissed the badge after the Bournemouth game, it was obvious he wouldn't be at Charlton for much longer.

Good luck to him, seemed like a decent bloke and always good to see a local lad (and a fan to boot) do well, but it's time to move on.
  • Good luck to him.  Hope he makes it into the team after Pardew gets the sack and does well for em.  Still going to be wearing an awful looking keepers shirt not quite as bad as our pink one last season.
  • I thought everyone had tans in Geordie land and got confused with thinking Geordie Shore was a casting for Glee league Primera C1.

Crazy how footy goes, so good luck to him.  What does Collin's expect?  If someone was offering me many thousands more, and tapping me up I'd be scraping the Colditz floor to get out.  Charlton or no Charlton.

Personally I still think this has an Ashley feel to it.  Can't remember the name of the guy who ran the club for him...  Llambias????  But it seems a sort of payoff/thankyou.  A bit of cash, when let's face it he'd have left for nothing at the end of the season, as if he'd have done well he'd have gone upwardly mobile and if he'd have done bad he'd have gone to Gillingham.

He would prob never have played for us if Pardew hadn't filmed Apocalypto at the Valley.  Then who know if he'd have survived the luck of proving himself at a second club?  Liked him but Matt Murray, and the Wolves goalie before him just goes to show how quickly opportunities come and can be taken away.
  • Forgot to add:

I think Powell got the call right on this one and handled things pretty well. Hamer's thumb didn't help matters, but that's football I suppose
  • I wish him well but, like Jenkinson, I struggle to see Elliot as a Premiership class player for the reasons that others have already outlined on here.

Still, if we picked up 200K that buys us another striker then its a great deal for us.

In most cases Ellliot would not have much of a chance of breaking through into the first team and staying there at Premiership level however things are different at Newcastle because of Ashley's belt-tightening so he might have a decent chance of establishing himself because Ashley won't pay 3-4 million for an established top keeper. 

• The bit that makes me chuckle is Robbie doesn't appear to be mentally tough. When the going got tough he somehow picked up a niggly injury. I just don't think he's a confident player

So why would he join the club with the most unforgiving and misguided fans in the country?

Really hope outworks out well for him but just don't think he has sufficient "testicular fortitude" for the pressure cooker he's just signed up to
  • The money to be spent on Matt Tubbs?
  • With the money coming in from Newcastle big striker to look forward to .Thanks Robbie two handed save we have got it both ways.
    Robbie was always a gent all the best ,Charlton at HEART.
    Hear, hear
  • Forgot to add:

I think Powell got the call right on this one and handled things pretty well. Hamer's thumb didn't help matters, but that's football I suppose
    Actually I think Hamers thumb did help matters. It allowed CP to come out of this with a bit more dignity than he would have if he just dumped Robbie to 3rd choice. It also allowed Rob to show us that when he has a bit of fire in his belly, he's actually not a bad keeper. Newcastle seeing how well he was playing decided that he was the right choice for them.

100k......final offer....................MY ARSE
  • Badge kissing money grabber, at least Parker was honest
    However, we were fourth in the Premier League when Parker left, whereas now . . .
    Hope the first comment was said in jest.

I don't see how Parker can be compared with Elliot.  Parker wouldn't play at least Elliot went out and did his best for us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Good move for charlton and robbie
    We receive money for a player that would be worthless to us at the end of the season (some would say that now:-)
    And robbie gets a chance to earn some decent dough with a chance to play on a bigger stage
    Hopefully for him he'll take this opportunity to push on cos for me he's not progressed at all since arriving in our first team
    Good luck robbie , you did what's best for charlton in the end and left , thank you
  • Parker even said to Curbs that if he was not sold he would do a story in the papers saying we had broken an agreement.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• As soon as the club stuck up the story last week about Ben Hamer working to get know the fans you knew Elliot was off.

Good luck to him, I don't begrudge anyone a move to a PL club especially on a 5 year deal on considerably more money than the pay cut he had been offered with us.

• Met him a couple of times and he seemed a really decent guy, so sincerely wish him all the best.  Could never fault his commitment when he played.  Don't envy him having to work day in, day out with Pardew, though - deserves all the money he can get for that!!

• the_dilsh
    Robert Elliot

Good luck to all the players on promotion top bunch of lads!!

Robert Elliot

the_dilsh
    Robert Elliot

I want to say a massive
    massive thank you to everyone at cafc especially the fans!!was an honour
    to be able to play for my boyhood club!!

• Good luck Robbie.

Took some unfair flak on here in my opinion but that's the way of the world with forums.

If, and it's a big if, Hamer and/or Sullivan turn out as good as Robbie then we should be ok

• Am in two minds.

Wish Robbie all the best and congrats on the length of contract.

However, due to the smuggest man in football's involvement, want Newcastle to lose by at least 5 every week.

• A good move all round - we didn't need three senior goalkeepers and the money we got for him paid for his replacement while Robbie gets a move to a prem club and a likely doubling/tripling in his wages. Without listing his strengths and weaknesses this move could be good for him as a player, he needs to work on one or two weaknesses and will be pushed to do so, probably far more aggressively than he would had he stayed.
  • Was always going to happen once his head was turned, he looked sound behind the improved back line this season said all the right things to keep the fans happy and kept his place on merit. Not sure how much we benefit financially from this deal apart from saving on his wages, but would rather have players who want to win promotion for Charlton Athletic than promotion from the bench. Time will tell if it was a good move professionally for Robbie, although it is obviously a good move financially. For CAFC it is shrewed business to move someone on who commands a better deal elsewhere.
  • 2,340,000 is the figure he will earn overall in 5 years. 
    ALRIGHT FOR SOME.