Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• yeah and they are also signing the guy from Sochaux and both Clubs will drop their complaints. Oh the murky world of football transfers.
  • No big loss in my eyes.Wish him well. Think a few on here are suffering from the same symptoms that told them Semedo/Racon were good.

I guess that's what happens when you've been served up the kind of dross we've seen in the past few seasons.

Stevens and Hollands were poor on Saturday when we played the deep defence of last few years, can't all be blamed on Semedo & Racon, just as Robbie's poor form can be partly attributed to same defence. He has been pretty decent this year.
  • I do not understand that comment. I was at the game I do not think they were poor. It was a very niggly game for any of the players to get into, along with a poor ref. The ball Stephens played for the winner was class. God poor lads, I do think people expect too much from league one players
  • Stephens ball for the winner is enough for me, players in the Premier League would kill to have delivered it
  • edited August 2011
    I think the comment was that they were por in the first half - the ball Stephen's played was in teh second wasn't it - maybe you should use a better example of good play from them in the first half.
  • Good luck to him but this is just another step in our progression. COYR.
  • Going to the Premiership to be a 3rd Choice goalkeeper instead of playing week in week out. Dont see how he's going to progress. Unless he goes on-loan.
    My thoughts exactly, thought a championship club might snap him up where he'd have a chance of playing 1st team football ?

• always liked him and it will be a shame to see him go but that mean's it's........

HAMER TIME !!!!!!!! 
  • U cant touch this
  • Sponsored links:

• It's his choice, clearly, but I seriously doubt that many on here would take 1st team football in the Champiopnship for £6k a week when you could be 3rd choice in the Premier League for £12k a week.

I know we have a go at players that seem to just chase the money but, honestly, I wouldn't believe any of you if you said that you'd take half the money to play every week.

Ignoring all the "It's a short career" stuff, even if you were going to be working for another 40 years you would struggle to convince me that you wouldn't take the money. As for career progression, it's a way to earn a living and in four years time he will be chasing 30, so even if he drops down the divisions then he is unlikley to end up lower than we are now, and he will have a war chest to fund his life after he finishes playing.

Also, I'd rather be on loan for £12k a week than first choice for £6k a week.
  • Not bothered to be honest. Sullivan and Hamer are both better keepers.
  • Good luck oop north, Robbie.

A good friend to NWKA and always willing to stop & talk to supporters.

He'll always be an Addick in his heart.

• edited August 2011
    Swapping league one for the Premiership.. I  think we would all do it. He is young for a keeper and has about 15 years left in the game. Good luck to him, wise choice on his part I reckon. (Not to mention there's more money)
  • Can't blame Robbie.

Whatever the money, being at Newcastle puts him in the right place to get the chance of playing in the Prem.

He might start off as 3rd choice on 12k a week, but he'll be on the bench and chance of coming on if Krul or Harper are missing through injury or suspension. And if not, could go on loan to a decent Championship outfit.

He's got his old Charlton goalkeeping coach to keep him company - and probably the reason Newcastle highly rate him.
  • another premiership mercenary just like parker .... greedy so and so's
  • edited August 2011
    Wish Robbie well. Always had a chat and a joke with us and no airs and graces. He's been loyal and has seen a lot of changes in his time. I don't think he particularly liked the regime change and now he can get back with his old buddies at double the money. I've got no quarrel with that
  • Does anyone know the fee yet?
  • Does anyone know the fee yet?

It'll be undisclosed - but I would guess at ca £200k give or take a bit.

Good luck Rob.

• Good luck Robbie. Methinks this is just another piece of very good business by the Board. Onwards and upwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• another premiership mercenary just like parker .... greedy so and so's
    So if you were offered a big pay rise yould you consider yourself a mercenary for taking it?

We're not talking about millions a year. He's not exactly moving to another country to play for a team he's never heard of. Sure Newcastle are not likley to trouble the top four anytime soon, but I think that sort of comment is harsh.
  • He's being sarcastic.
  • Thanks BFR , if anyone hears officially pleae can you let us know , and don't say it involved a box of crispy cremes.
  • think Oohaah's comment is meant to be tongue in cheek and he's probably glad he's gone more than anyone else on here
  • edited August 2011

Wish Robbie all the best, has lived a dream by playing over 100 games for the club he loves. However on a professional level, you cannot begrudge him the chance to be a Newcastle player, he may never play in the Prem but the experience of training with some quality players day in day out can only be a good thing for his long term career- at 25 he is still fairly young for a GK. Think he may surprise a few and play in the cups and you never know if Krul gets injured.

• He's being sarcastic.
    Thanks BFR , if anyone hears officially pleae can you let us know , and don't say it involved a box of crispy cremes.
    Fair enough, clearly I didn't realise.
  • Thanks BFR , if anyone hears officially pleae can you let us know , and don't say it involved a box of crispy cremes.
    He settled for a pack of digestives (daily)
  • Are we getting £150k for Robbie?.All the best Rob.
  • I have it on good authority its a 5 year deal, going as second choice keeper, for an initial £9k per week. Dont know fee.
  • I have it on good authority its a 5 year deal, going as second choice keeper, for an initial £9k per week. Dont know fee.
    doubled his wage nicely then. 
    All it takes is an injury to the first choice and he's suddenly a premiership number 1.