Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Waggy v Green

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
Shaping up to be a nice little battle for the shirt.

Waggy has had a solid start to the season, though sounded to be below par in the first 45 last night. Solid is exactly what he is; no thrills but a tremendous workrate and one of those players that i think is always much more valued by those in the game than those sitting in the stands.

Green however was one of our big signings, and showed last night with his cameo that he has the attacking quality to be a potential game changer, a real valuable commodity.

Personally, i see Waggy starting up at Sheff U as i don't believe Green to be at full fitness yet and the energy and defensive cover Waggy usually provides will be more valued from the start in a tough away outing,

How do you see it ?

Comments

• Options
    Waggy to start at Sheff Utd and Green to start on Wednesday. Then depending on performances in those games Green to come in after Wednesday to replace Waggy for Tranmere
  • Options

I've a feeling they will both start saturday. BWP didn't look good after that hefty challenge on his knee when he was through last night, can see Waggy starting just behind Hayes.

Although if BWP is fit, then Green has to start now for me, Waggy was awful last night

• Options
    Waggy was very poor last night, but he's done well generally this season. It was definitely right to change him for Green last night, and I would have made the change at half time.

I would keep him in the starting 11 for the Sheff Utd game, but I'm convinced Green will be starting consistently in a few weeks from now. Green has the ability to beat a man with skill and cross a ball. 
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    That's two below par games for Waggy now, didn't think he played well against Chesterfield either.

Danny Green has the X Factor for me, can change a game in the blink of an eye
  • Options
    If he's now match fit, of course!
  • Options
    waggy is better off coming on and running at tired legs cos his lack of skill and just pace is too easy for opponents when he starts the match

green as said above has that x factor , he crosses a ball like a proper player

defensively we're improving and solly has come on leaps and bounds and doesnt need waggy to protect him

green is a shoe in once fully fit or not suspended , he seems a bit wibble! 
  • Options
    Green to start, Waggy impact player
  • Options
    Greens distribution is absolutely outstanding. He has a trick and his set pieces are deadly.

As soon as he's fit he should start.

With Kermit and BWP up front he can be an assist machine.

Waggy can be an impact sub, backup striker when pace is needed or can cover on the left midfield if needed.

Long season, squad game but Green has to start imo
  • Options
    That's two below par games for Waggy now, didn't think he played well against Chesterfield either.

Danny Green has the X Factor for me, can change a game in the blink of an eye
    I don't really see what Waggy did wrong in the Chesterfield game. Linked up well with Solly (as always) and put in the cross for the 3rd goal, plus was his usual, hard-working self.

I've only seen Green for one sub appearance and whilst he can certainly cross the ball he did none of the defensive work that Waggy does and also had a highly suspect temperment, lunging in on one of the opposition and frankly lucky to still be on the pitch. And that was <5mins after coming on and with nothing particular to rile him.

Put Green's crossing ability on Wagstaff and we'll have a bloody decent player!!
  • Options
    I'm not a huge fan of Wagstaff, still too inconsistent for me. Put Green on from the start on Saturday, with Wagstaff on the bench. Even if Green gets 60 minutes, that's ok, he needs games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CP needs to send a message to Waggy.
    Green to start. Waggy and the squad will benefit in the medium term.
  • Options
    Still like to see Waggy play on the left, so he can cut inside and shoot.  He may have played there early Parky days?  If he did it was a disaster!
  • Options

People miss the amount that Waggy adds to team and particularly to Solly.  It'd be a risk for such a massive away match, particularly when Green demonstrated his value as an impact sub.

• Options
    Waggy has that perfect pedigree to come off the bench as an impact sub to run at a tired defence, either replacing Green on the right, coming on to the left, moving Jackson inside, or even up front.

That said, Wagstaff hasn't done anything wrong this season, especially with his link up play with Solly, so I say start him on Saturday and bring Green on again if need be, then start Green in the JPT match.
  • Options

If you ask BWP, Kermit and Hayes who they'd prefer, I think strongly they'd say Green  

• Options
    The other thing about Green is ability from free kicks, and in tight games, where teams will start parking the bus at the Valley, that magic he's got will be important
  • Options
    Danny Green without question. Waggy is so inconsistent and keeps playing the ball back to Solly instead taking a defender on. Green on the other hand is class.
  • Options
    Yeah, Wagstaff would be a good option to have from the bench.
  • Options

Waggy is the new Kish. Unappreciated until he isn't there.

Green succeeded as an impact sub so use him as that until such time as Waggy underperforms. It's questionable, having suffered a debilitating virus, whether Green is fully fit anyway.

• Options
    Waggy is more flexible as a sub - can play more positions and always looks more effectiv eto me when he comes on against tiring defenders. He has deserved his first team place but of late his levels have dropped off a little and now is the time. Still a very important player for us though, which none of us should forget or underestimate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Waggy had a great start but hasn't really offered much in the last few games

Has to be Green against the Blades
  • Options
    The other thing about Green is ability from free kicks, and in tight games, where teams will start parking the bus at the Valley, that magic he's got will be important
    Also his throw ons can be deadly.

Wagstaff to come on for impact as Choice said.
  • Options
    Waggy frustrates me SO much. Would rather see what Green can offer from the start of a game & as others said, bring Scott on as a supersub as required.
  • Options

Green needs games to get him match-fit. Getting half an hour every week will only go so far, he needs to start games to get to 100%.

• Options
    If we drop Waggy for Green after 1 bad half then the same needs to apply in reverse.  When Green is innefective then he comes off and doesnt start the next game
  • Options

Green to start - Waggy on the bench and swap then after 70/75 mins or when Green is knackered if before.

Green has so much quality in his crossing that its criminal to leave him on the bench whilst we watch Waggy dither this way & that before passing the ball back to Solly ! 

Waggy shouldn't be in the team for his defensive duties,or that he runs around alot, or that he is a good egg - if he can't deliver a cross then play a man who can !!!

• Options

Green to start - Waggy on the bench and swap then after 70/75 mins or when Green is knackered if before.

Green has so much quality in his crossing that its criminal to leave him on the bench whilst we watch Waggy dither this way & that before passing the ball back to Solly ! 

Waggy shouldn't be in the team for his defensive duties,or that he runs around alot, or that he is a good egg - if he can't deliver a cross then play a man who can !!!

Sorry mate but defensive duties are a must in this league, for every player. Leave your fullbacks exposed and unprotected? No thanks.
  • Options
    Rename this thread The Grass is Always Danny Greener
  • Options

not so long ago i wouldn't have 'exposed' Solly to having Green in front of him.

with Solly now less of a worry (in my mind) i think the time is probably right to give Green the starting place.

still fully appreciate the work rate of waggy and i'm sure even if Green is a resounding success, he will have a big part to play this season.

• Options
    To be honest I know that there's something to  be said for a settled side but to my mind it depends on the opposition. If we're up against a Brighton style freeflowing attacking side, then the more defensive side of Waggy is useful, and they are likely to be more vulnerable on the counter anyway. If we're up against a solid defensive team then Green's knack of a magic pass/cross may just make the difference. A very good dilemma for Powell to have IMO.